Crow's pick 11/28/04

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crow

[color=dark-blue]POTD cattyfan![/color]:thumb:

I was reminded of some very important things this Thanksgiving.

The night before we left, a certain person from TOL anonymously sent dinner to my house. It was a generous and thoughtful thing to do, and it was a darn fine practical joke since I wasn't sure who did it. The gesture was well timed, as it's been a very hectic and tiring several weeks and I was over-whelmed with details that had to be completed before our long drive for the holiday weekend.

I am thankful for the giving hearts and wonderful spirits of those whom I have met during my life, even if some of those meetings have only been via the Internet. It seems cyberspace isn't nearly as impersonal as some people believe.

My husband and I went to our families houses this past week. We left early Wednesday and drove in the first big snow storm. Our 6 hour trip took more than ten and a half hours to complete and in one 200 mile stretch we saw more than 100 cars in the deep ditches. It was an equal opportunity wind which blew compact cars, SUVs, and big rigs off the road.

I am thankful we travelled safely to and from.

In a few years being with our families will be a rarity. My husband will be pastor with obligations to his congregation...our grandmothers (two of whom will have birthdays January 2 turning 98 and 92 respectively and the third being 88) will not be around that many more years...my mother's illness is progressing and we won't have her around that many more years, either. My nieces and nephews are all getting older and are beginning to pursue their own lives. They will eventually have their own families and begin new traditions.

I am thankful for the time we have with them now. They are a gloriously loud and loving bunch (both my in-laws and my own.)

I had a visitation to attend on Saturday. One of my childhood friends was killed last week in a hunting accident. He would have been 36 in early December. He was his parents' only child.

I am thankful for having known him. He was a creative and vibrant person.

The bulletin for my friend's funeral contained no Scripture...only a poem. His family doesn't believe in Christ or follow any religion, and he (unfortunately) followed in their footsteps. I wonder where they will find comfort while grieving for their loss, and I worry about the fate of his soul. The knowledge my friend will spend an eternity regretting his rejection of God makes the sorrow I feel that much more painful.

I am thankful to the Lord for my many blessings and for sending His Son for our salvation...I am thankful for my husband and our families all of whom are believers...I am thankful to my parents for rearing me with a strong faith in God...I am thankful to have opportunities with my living friends to help them find their way to Jesus...I am thankful I have another day to consider all of which I have been given. My blessings are too numerous to list.

Happy belated Thanksgiving.

Context

Status
Not open for further replies.