Christ is incapable of covetousness.

elohiym

If the Christ is incapable of covetousness it follows he is incapable of sinning, hence impeccable. Therefore, the temptation He suffered was not a temptation to commit sinful acts; rather, the Christ was tempted in the same ways we are tempted when people demand we prove we are sons of God by the works they dream up for us to do. We see an example of this when the devil tempted the Christ, "If you are the son of God, turn stones into bread."

elohiym

This leaves me wondering what point you are making?

Contrary to popular opinion, Christ was incapable of covetousness, not one who had to resist coveting. I would like to debate the claim and discuss the implications.

elohiym

Heb 4:15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.

I explained in the OP how he was tempted like we are.

Certainly you are not saying the Lord was tempted to steal?

That would be ridiculous. God stealing. :chuckle:

elohiym

Hebrews 2:18
18 For in that He Himself has suffered, being tempted, He is able to aid those who are tempted.

We can read in scripture an example of him being tempted. That supports my argument.

There are no examples of him being internally tempted, i.e. desiring to commit an immoral act.

Huckleberry

We can read in scripture an example of him being tempted. That supports my argument.

There are no examples of him being internally tempted, i.e. desiring to commit an immoral act.

Then He's not able to aid us with internal temptation? He was not tempted in all points as we are?

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Contrary to popular opinion, Christ was incapable of covetousness, not one who had to resist coveting. I would like to debate the claim and discuss the implications.
II
I understand you use if the word "incapable' for lack of a better word. I would say Jesus us capable to resist all sin and it is the foolish to temp Him.

To covet, one much be only human, which Jesus was not, only human

elohiym

Then He's not able to aid us with internal temptation? He was not tempted in all points as we are?

Do you really believe God was internally tempted to commit immoral acts? I don't, and I already explained how he was tempted in all points as we are. See the examples when he was tempted by the devil, or tempted by the Pharisees. That doesn't mean he was tempted to steal because then he would have already sinned by coveting. But He's God! Why would you think God could covet anything when He owns everything and needs nothing?

God's Truth

If the Christ is incapable of covetousness it follows he is incapable of sinning, hence impeccable. Therefore, the temptation He suffered was not a temptation to commit sinful acts; rather, the Christ was tempted in the same ways we are tempted when people demand we prove we are sons of God by the works they dream up for us to do. We see an example of this when the devil tempted the Christ, "If you are the son of God, turn stones into bread."

I see the many in which the devil is working through.

elohiym

To covet, one much be only human, which Jesus was not, only human

Covetousness is the basis for violations of the ten commandments, certainly several, like adultery, stealing and idolatry. If you are correct, your principle should apply to those sins, too.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Do you really believe God was internally tempted to commit immoral acts?

OK, I see it now. Some people do not know the nature of God, while other, as we well know, do not believe Jesus is God.

I say, teach the former, and ignore the later.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Covetousness is the basis for violations of the ten commandments, certainly several, like adultery, stealing and idolatry. If you are correct, your principle should apply to those sins, too.

yes, covetousness is and act of pride and vanity is the manifestation

God's Truth

Do you really believe God was internally tempted to commit immoral acts? I don't, and I already explained how he was tempted in all points as we are. See the examples when he was tempted by the devil, or tempted by the Pharisees. That doesn't mean he was tempted to steal because then he would have already sinned by coveting. But He's God! Why would you think God could covet anything when He owns everything and needs nothing?

Jesus did not sin even in his thoughts, and not in his heart.

lukecash12

Christ is capable of physical sensations compelling temptation. While His divine nature isn't susceptible in the least, the temptation is important for understanding the humiliation involved in God Himself accepting our basic physical infirmities. Christ wasn't going to succumb to the temptation, but that doesn't mean that He wasn't irritated by it.

This passage is key, as it helps us understand on our own feeble level how exactly Jesus sufficed as a propitiation for sin.

Huckleberry

...I already explained how he was tempted in all points as we are.
No, you said...

...the Christ was tempted in the same ways we are tempted when people demand we prove we are sons of God by the works they dream up for us to do.
That's not being tempted in all points as we are.
That doesn't mean he was tempted to steal because then he would have already sinned by coveting.
Then He wasn't tempted in all points as we are.

But He's God! Why would you think God could covet anything when He owns everything and needs nothing?
Yes, exactly. I think this is part of why God became flesh, so that He could put to rest any possible argument that He cannot properly judge sinners. Christ was tempted in all points as we are. This is what Hebrews 2:18 and Hebrews 4:15 point out and celebrate. It relieves even we believers today of wondering if God can truly help us with temptations He can't experience or understand.

Last edited:

lukecash12

Yes, exactly. I think this is part of why God became flesh, so that He could put to rest any possible argument that He cannot properly judge sinners. Christ was tempted in all points as we are. This is what Hebrews 4:15 and Hebrews 4:15 point out and celebrate. It relieves even we believers today of wondering if God can truly help us with temptations He can't experience or understand.

While I see your line of reasoning I cannot agree with this point. God doesn't brook argument over whether or not He can properly judge sinners. Before the Incarnation He was still perfectly able to and possessed the prerogative to judge sinners.

Christ was here to be the perfect sacrifice, to be bound in Isaac's stead. Trust me, you're not going to find a single place in scripture where the Lord Himself tolerates being argued with.

Huckleberry

While I see your line of reasoning I cannot agree with this point. God doesn't brook argument over whether or not He can properly judge sinners. Before the Incarnation He was still perfectly able to and possessed the prerogative to judge sinners. Christ was here to be the perfect sacrifice, to be bound in Isaac's stead. Trust me, you're not going to find a single place in scripture where the Lord Himself tolerates being argued with.
Moses (Exodus 32:9-14)
Abraham (Genesis 18:16-32)
Mary (John 2:1-12)
Hezekiah (2 Kings 20:1-11)

All argued with God. Successfully.

Again, I think the "can't judge me" argument is fallacious. I think God is intentionally settling the argument long before it becomes relevant. Likewise, I think these four argument don't show God being led around by the nose until He realizes He's wrong. I think these incidents are God allowing this interaction to happen so that it can be recorded for all eternity. He's making a point (an eternal point) of these things.

God's Truth

Moses (Exodus 32:9-14)
Abraham (Genesis 18:16-32)
Mary (John 2:1-12)
Hezekiah (2 Kings 20:1-11)

All argued with God. Successfully.

Again, I think the "can't judge me" argument is fallacious. I think God is intentionally settling the argument long before it becomes relevant. Likewise, I think these four argument don't show God being led around by the nose until He realizes He's wrong. I think these incidents are God allowing this interaction to happen so that it can be recorded for all eternity. He's making a point (an eternal point) of these things.

Good scriptures showing we can argue our case to the Lord.