Bob proud of lynchings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhodgeiii

Below is an email I sent Bob a week and a half ago. Since this email probably got lost in the horde of emails in his inbox, I'm posting the content here.

Perhaps one of you can answer my question? I don't want to call into his show about this.

------------------------------------------------------------

Bob,

I just saw your "God and the Death Penalty" tape. It was well done, well documented, and well reasoned: classic Enyart stuff.

However, the last image the tape leaves the viewers with is that of an apparent lynching from a tree. Certainly, lynchings would violate God's criminal justice system, wouldn't it? Worse for me, it looked like a lynching of a black man in the South by a white mob. I recall many execution pictures like this one where blacks were scapegoated and lynched without a trial (or at least a just one). Because your tape gave no details on the execution, it leaves us to ponder.

I'm black and have no issues with executing murderers of any skin color. However, most of my friends are black [and Christian] and against the death penalty, yet should really see this tape. Now I don't want to lend it to them knowing that some (maybe all) will stumble on this very scene given the sensitivities of the past injustices and atrocities done to blacks here. Not to mention that now I will have to convince them all that you're not a racist.

What's going on here, Bob?

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
I've got the video and just took another look at the end you referred to. It's not a lynching of a black man. It's a public hanging of a white man.

jhodgeiii

Jefferson,

Just took another long look. Unless you produced this video and actually know who the condemned man was, your answer was disingenuous, if not, laughable.

The *only* way that hanging guy could have been white is if he had a dark sack over his head during the execution, and in that case we wouldn't know one or the other.

Anyone *else* have the video?

Anyway, what's really at issue is whether this is a lynching. It sure seems so. The setting hints that the man was executed by city folk, given the crowd's formal attire, but he was executed on a *tree*. A government-authorized execution with no formal gallows, but instead a large tree?

It's more likely that was a mob, and therefore, should have no rightful place on this video.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
jhodgeiii:

If that's a black man then he was a very light-skinned black man.

Bob teaches against any form of vigilanteism.

Goose

Originally posted by Jefferson
I've got the video and just took another look at the end you referred to. It's not a lynching of a black man. It's a public hanging of a white man.
I've seen that video before too. It's not a black man.

PureX

Interesting how you all can see the same thing, and still see two different things. And then be so certain that what you saw was what is there.
*smile*

This would explain some of those descrepancies in the bible.

jhodgeiii

Purex, you're a fool. At best, you're off topic.

Everyone else on topic (with the video):

Regardless of the person's color, doesn't this look like a lynching? Yes, Bob DOES teach against vigilantism, but I question the judgment of whomever decided to place *this* particular execution into this video.

Bad choice. It's enough to stop me from buying more to pass on, unfortunately.

PureX

Originally posted by jhodgeiii Purex, you're a fool.

Ahhhh! That felt good typing that, didn't it? Gave you a little rush of righteousness, using the biblical insult, an all? Yep, that's the spirit!
*smile*

Freak

Originally posted by jhodgeiii
Jefferson,

Just took another long look. Unless you produced this video and actually know who the condemned man was, your answer was disingenuous, if not, laughable.

The *only* way that hanging guy could have been white is if he had a dark sack over his head during the execution, and in that case we wouldn't know one or the other.

Anyone *else* have the video?

Anyway, what's really at issue is whether this is a lynching. It sure seems so. The setting hints that the man was executed by city folk, given the crowd's formal attire, but he was executed on a *tree*. A government-authorized execution with no formal gallows, but instead a large tree?

It's more likely that was a mob, and therefore, should have no rightful place on this video.

Good points.

Freak

Originally posted by Jefferson
jhodgeiii:

If that's a black man then he was a very light-skinned black man.

Bob teaches against any form of vigilanteism.

So it is a black man, correct?

Calvinist

Originally posted by PureX

Ahhhh! That felt good typing that, didn't it? Gave you a little rush of righteousness, using the biblical insult, an all? Yep, that's the spirit!
*smile*

PureX, you're a fool.

4 A.M. Prayer

While stopping short of labeling the Enyart disciples and KGOV "racists", this looks like yet another example of total insensitivity on their part.
I listened to a Doug McBirney show about a year ago on KGOV and it sure smelled like bigotry to me but I'm sure I'll be told that that wasn't the intent at all.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 4 A.M. Prayer
While stopping short of labeling the Enyart disciples and KGOV "racists", this looks like yet another example of total insensitivity on their part.
I listened to a Doug McBirney show about a year ago on KGOV and it sure smelled like bigotry to me but I'm sure I'll be told that that wasn't the intent at all.
It's pretty shallow to acuse somebody of bigotry with nothing to back it up except to say there was a show he did a year ago in which this seemed to be the case. You should have something more than this if you are going to make this kind of accusation about somebody.

Last edited:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by 4 A.M. Prayer
I happen to be good friends with Doug and I take offense to your comment.

You call Doug a bigot and you know nothing about him.

Your a fool - and you should apologize.

Freak

jhodgeiii, is a African-Amercian brother in Christ who has raised some reasonable concerns. I'm still waiting for someone to address his concerns.

.Ant

Originally posted by Polycarpadvo
It's pretty shallow to acuse somebody of bigotry with nothing to back it up except to say there was a show he did a year ago in which this seemed to be the case. You should have something more than this if you are going to make this kind of accusation about somebody.
They do have a reputation for insensitivity. I wouln't call them bigots; but I do think they are sometimes very insensitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.