An Old Reflection On the Kindness of Strangers and/or the Need For Noise Protection

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
You never know. People can surprise you. The other day I was trenching near the road at the front of my property (because we'd had a good rain and the earth was easy). Noisy beast of a trencher....Anyway, this fellow drove by in a nice new truck and I accidentally threw some mud up on him. Well, as you likely imagine he locked up his breaks and stopped a ways down the road, backed up a little and rolled down his window. I could tell that he was angry by the look on his face. So you know what I was expecting, but I wasn't prepared for what happened next.

He stared at me for about a full minute while I tried to throttle the trencher back, unsuccessfully. Then he called out, "You dug some ditch!" and drove off with a bark of tires, in a hurry to get wherever I guess he needed to be.

That really floored me. In that big a hurry and with mud slung down the side of a new truck, a complete stranger had stopped and taken time to think about what I was doing and encourage me in my work.

At least that's what it sounded like from where I was. :plain: