ECT All Things Are Lawful For Me

Jerry Shugart

What is the meaning of the words in "bold" in the following verses?:

"All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any" (1 Cor.6:12).​

"All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not"
(1 Cor.10:23).​

Does it have to do with what is said here in "bold"?:

"But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works, Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered. Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin" (Ro.4:5-8).​

Thanks!

Danoh

I think it's the fact that "ye are dead, your life is hid with Christ..."
There are no laws for a dead man.

Yep.

Though; as the Apostle Paul is ever pointing out - there ARE various guidelines and principles under which the new life is lived - including the one those two passages are pointing out.

Lon

I think it's the fact that "ye are dead, your life is hid with Christ..."
There are no laws for a dead man.
Except Romans 13:8?

Maybe not a law persay, I don't think you can help yourself " Ang-,you big lug."

Jerry Shugart

Except Romans 13:8?

Maybe not a law persay, I don't think you can help yourself " Ang-,you big lug."

I believe that the verses about all things being lawful to Christians is in regard to the salvation of the soul. Believers receive the imputed righteousness which is of God so sin is not imputed into the Christian's account in regard to salvation.

The verse which you cite is in regard to the Christian's "walk."

Lon

"The Saved and Know It Pow Wow Party thread?" :think: Gonna be big this year? What was it like last year? Who played? Rock the house?

What was the Spirit like? Oh Father in Heaven!

Danoh

"The Saved and Know It Pow Wow Party thread?" :think: Gonna be big this year? What was it like last year? Who played? Rock the house?

What was the Spirit like? Oh Father in Heaven!

Apparantly, you overlooked the :D at the end of my post :chuckle:

Lon

Apparantly, you overlooked the :D at the end of my post :chuckle:
:nono: That's "Why" I thought it was a party I need my sheepish icon now :sheep: I think it must be providence that the only sheep icon on TOL is skipping....

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
What is the meaning of the words in "bold" in the following verses?:
"All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any" (1 Cor.6:12).​

"All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not"
(1 Cor.10:23).​

Does it have to do with what is said here in "bold"?:

"But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works, Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered. Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin" (Ro.4:5-8).​

Thanks!
No, it has to do with Christians who flaunt their freedom, specifically warned against by both Apostles Peter and Paul.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Not even close. Read the verses again.
I wanted to know what Jerry's gonna say. :)

Why do both Peter and Paul warn the Church to not flaunt our freedom? Because our freedom is real, which is what "All Things Are Lawful For Me" has to do with.

Danoh

I wanted to know what Jerry's gonna say. :)

Why do both Peter and Paul warn the Church to not flaunt our freedom? Because our freedom is real, which is what "All Things Are Lawful For Me" has to do with.

Freedom within necessary limits.

Thus, the "not expedient" aspect.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Freedom within necessary limits.

Thus, the "not expedient" aspect.
Nope, no limits, real freedom. That's why we're warned not to flaunt it, because it's real. 1st Corinthians 15:3 (KJV) Ephesians 1:13-14 (KJV) John 3:16 (KJV)

Danoh

Nope, no limits, real freedom. That's why we're warned not to flaunt it, because it's real. 1st Corinthians 15:3 (KJV) Ephesians 1:13-14 (KJV) John 3:16 (KJV)

Hah - you have just mentioned a necessary limitation there.