Acts 2:34

oatmeal

For David is not ascended into the heavens: but he saith himself, The Lord said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand,

Clearly, there are two Lords in this verse.

I am tired of pointing this verse out.

What is the specific identity of "The Lord"?

What is the specific identity of "my Lord"?

Right Divider

Body part

For David is not ascended into the heavens: but he saith himself, The Lord said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand,

Have you tried looking at Psalm 110? Which is what is being quoted there.

oatmeal

Have you tried looking at Psalm 110? Which is what is being quoted there.

Yes, not only have I tried to look at Psalm 110, I have succeeded!

So for the benefit of those who tried and failed, I offer

Psalm 110:1

The Lord said unto my Lord, Sit thou at my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool.

But we will post the entire Psalm for the benefit of those who have tried and failed, KJV.

The Lord said unto my Lord, Sit thou at my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool.

2 The Lord shall send the rod of thy strength out of Zion: rule thou in the midst of thine enemies.

3 Thy people shall be willing in the day of thy power, in the beauties of holiness from the womb of the morning: thou hast the dew of thy youth.

4 The Lord hath sworn, and will not repent, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchizedek.

5 The Lord at thy right hand shall strike through kings in the day of his wrath.

6 He shall judge among the heathen, he shall fill the places with the dead bodies; he shall wound the heads over many countries.

7 He shall drink of the brook in the way: therefore shall he lift up the head.

We know that Jesus Christ is being referred to in the sentence, "Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchizedek."

Hebrews 7:14-17

14 For it is evident that our Lord sprang out of Juda; of which tribe Moses spake nothing concerning priesthood.

15 And it is yet far more evident: for that after the similitude of Melchisedec there ariseth another priest,

16 Who is made, not after the law of a carnal commandment, but after the power of an endless life.

17 For he testifieth, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.

oatmeal

Maybe a hint is in order.

The Lord, hmmm. not just one of of many, for we know that there are many lords, and for that matter, many gods.

1 Corinthians 8:5
For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,)

One of the Lords is the Lord God who is the God and Father of the Lord Jesus Christ

That is a big clue, figuratively speaking.

Any questions?

Right Divider

Body part
Maybe a hint is in order.

The Lord, hmmm. not just one of of many, for we know that there are many lords, and for that matter, many gods.

1 Corinthians 8:5
For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,)

One of the Lords is the Lord God who is the God and Father of the Lord Jesus Christ

That is a big clue, figuratively speaking.

Any questions?

Where does the Psalm say "God the Father"? Is God the Father eternally God the Father?

oatmeal

Where does the Psalm say "God the Father"? Is God the Father eternally God the Father?

It doesn't

Nor should it.

God was not literally a Father until the conception and birth of His son, Jesus Emmanuel.

It is not acceptable to be called a Father unless he is one.

However, that does not exclude God being referring to himself as Lord and likewise His son being called Lord as well

Last edited:

Right Divider

Body part
It doesn't

Nor should it.

God was not literally a Father until the conception and birth of His son, Jesus Emmanuel.
Jesus said that He was with His Father before the world was created.

Joh 17:5 KJV And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was.

You are speaking falsehoods.

Trump Gurl

Credo in Unum Deum

God is Trinity. He is eternally father, son, holy spirit, with no beginning and no ending.

God in his deepest mystery is not a solitude but a family, since he has in himself fatherhood, sonship and the essence of the family which is love

Trump Gurl

Credo in Unum Deum

David IS in heaven. He didn't ascend there under his own power though like Jesus did, but he is there.

Jesus is Lord. Jesus ascended to heaven under his own power because he is God the Son, the Second Person of the Trinity.

TrevorL

Greetings oatmeal and Trump Gurl,
Acts 2:34 For David is not ascended into the heavens: but he saith himself, The Lord said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand,
Clearly, there are two Lords in this verse. I am tired of pointing this verse out.
Psalm 110:1 (KJV): The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou at my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool.
The KJV rendition above distinguishes between the two Hebrew words by translating Yahweh as “The LORD” and Adonai as “my lord” or “lord”. The word Yahweh is the personal Name of the One God, God the Father. The word Adonai is the usual word for a ruler, master, lord. Thus Yahweh is the One God, Yahweh, God the Father. Seated at His right hand is David’s Lord, our Lord Jesus Christ, The Son of God.
David IS in heaven. He didn't ascend there under his own power though like Jesus did, but he is there.
Acts 2:34–35 (KJV): 34 For David is not ascended into the heavens: but he saith himself, The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, 35 Until I make thy foes thy footstool.
Peter states on the Day of Pentecost that “David is not ascended into the heavens”, say 50 days after Jesus’ death, and say 10 days after Jesus himself ascended to heaven. Yet you claim “David IS in heaven”. When did David ascend into heaven?

Kind regards
Trevor

oatmeal

Jesus said that He was with His Father before the world was created.
Joh 17:5 KJV And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was.

You are speaking falsehoods.

Does he say that he was with the Father?

No, not really.

The glory that I had with thee was with the Father, not Jesus himself.

If Jesus was literally with the Father then Matthew 1:18 is error.

Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost.

The Greek word translated birth is gennessis, or beginning. Jesus had a beginning at it began when Mary was found with child of the Holy Ghost.

God certainly planned ahead for Jesus Christ. Genesis 3:15 was not an impulsive decision, God had prepared for man's redemption from the fall in the very design of the heaven and the earth.

God was well prepared and had things in motion immediately, including the glory that He had prepared for the eventuality of His son.

The statement is not difficult to understand. Even earthly parents are fully capable of preparing for children they do not yet have, yet plan to have.

They might choose a dwelling fit for raising children, they prepare a room for the child, diapers, a crib, even decorate the room so as to give the child every advantage that the parents can. God is no different. God not only foreknew His son, Jesus Christ but as as well and prepared for us well ahead of time

Ephesians 1:3-4

3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:

4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:

Those spiritual blessings are the glory that we had with God before the foundation of the world.

Romans 8:29-30

29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

Just like Jesus Christ God had prepared for us as well.

May we learn to live in a manner commensurate with God's love to us.

oatmeal

Psalm 110:1 (KJV): The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou at my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool.
The KJV rendition above distinguishes between the two Hebrew words by translating Yahweh as “The LORD” and Adonai as “my lord” or “lord”. The word Yahweh is the personal Name of the One God, God the Father. The word Adonai is the usual word for a ruler, master, lord. Thus Yahweh is the One God, Yahweh, God the Father. Seated at His right hand is David’s Lord, our Lord Jesus Christ, The Son of God.

Acts 2:34–35 (KJV): 34 For David is not ascended into the heavens: but he saith himself, The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, 35 Until I make thy foes thy footstool.
Peter states on the Day of Pentecost that “David is not ascended into the heavens”, say 50 days after Jesus’ death, and say 10 days after Jesus himself ascended to heaven. Yet you claim “David IS in heaven”. When did David ascend into heaven?

Kind regards
Trevor

Yes, that is correct, God is the Lord, whilst in lower rank beside God is His son, the one both we and David referred to as my lord.

oatmeal

God is Trinity. He is eternally father, son, holy spirit, with no beginning and no ending.

God in his deepest mystery is not a solitude but a family, since he has in himself fatherhood, sonship and the essence of the family which is love

That is a very unscriptural conclusion. God is a family? Where is God the mother?

Right Divider

Body part
Does he say that he was with the Father?

No, not really.

The glory that I had with thee was with the Father, not Jesus himself.

If Jesus was literally with the Father then Matthew 1:18 is error.

Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost.

The Greek word translated birth is gennessis, or beginning. Jesus had a beginning at it began when Mary was found with child of the Holy Ghost.
The only problem is your confusion. Until you can understand what the Bible actually teaches, that Jesus is BOTH GOD and MAN, you will continue to force falsehoods on the scripture.

The genesis of Jesus AS A MAN was when He was conceived by the Holy Ghost. That is NOT His genesis as GOD.

Trump Gurl

Credo in Unum Deum
Yet you claim “David IS in heaven”. When did David ascend into heaven?

I said: "He didn't ascend there under his own power though like Jesus did"

Do you understand the difference between ascending to heaven under one's own power, like Jesus did, and simply going there like all saints do?

David did not ascend to heaven.

Davis is there though the same as all saints are.

Trump Gurl

Credo in Unum Deum
That is a very unscriptural conclusion. God is a family? Where is God the mother?

The human family is the IMPERFECT representation of the perfect family which os God.

God created man in his own image: Woman clings to man and becomes one (Genesis 2:24) and that union becomes a third.

That is the image of God, not a perfect image, but an image.

God is not a FULLY HUMAN FAMILY.

Correct.

Bradley D

Matthew Poole's Commentary
For David is not ascended into the heavens; hence St. Peter here proves, that these words, spoken by David, were not principally to be understood concerning himself, but concerning Christ the Messiah; for David, as to his body, was in the sepulchre, which on that account was kept amongst them.

The Lord said unto my Lord; the eternal Father unto his eternal Son, who was now made flesh—hence our Saviour proves his Divinity, Matthew 22:45. The words here referred to are Psalm 110:1.

TrevorL

Greetings again oatmeal and Trump Gurl,
Yes, that is correct, God is the Lord, whilst in lower rank beside God is His son, the one both we and David referred to as my lord.
I appreciate what you are saying, and elsewhere God the Father is called “Lord”, but here in Psalm 110:1 God the Father is “Yahweh”. Our English translation obscures this, and I suggest that you should not use the lower case "Lord" when referring to Psalm 110:1. Even the KJV carried over this distinction when rendering this in Acts 2:34. Yes our Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God is seated beside God, in God’s throne, and he is of a lower rank, and he is both our and David’s Lord. I have never encountered a clear exposition by a Trinitarian of Psalm 110:1 and the many important quotations of and allusions to this important passage in the NT. Jesus and the Apostles understood Psalm 110:1.

I said: "He didn't ascend there under his own power though like Jesus did"
Do you understand the difference between ascending to heaven under one's own power, like Jesus did, and simply going there like all saints do?
David did not ascend to heaven. Davis is there though the same as all saints are.
There is no mention or hint in Acts 2:34 or elsewhere of whether David did not ascend under his own power in contrast to Jesus ascending.

Pardon me saying this, but your strong proclamation in your previous Post “David IS in heaven” reminds me of the many supporters of Trump who stand behind him with a placard, and when he makes a “profound” statement they raise their placard in support. You have raised your banner “David IS in heaven”, but you have not properly explained Acts 2:34.

I noticed that you have made 1451 Posts since joining in February. I question whether many of them have been meaningful, or similar to this, waving a banner and advertising Trump. I was browsing another forum which has the facility to mark another person’s Post with “agree” or “disagree” and it is necessary to click to find out who agrees or disagrees. I clicked on one of these and it seems that in your haste you conveyed the wrong message. I then noticed that you were banned. You joined that forum on March 9 and it seems you were banned on March 16, the same day that you hit the disagree button. In that time you made 104 messages. I spent some time trying to find one of your Posts in the General Theology portion of that forum, but failed in the short time I browsed. I was interested if you added anything meaningful, or whether you were simply waving a banner and advertising Trump.

Kind regards
Trevor