ECT A Simple Bible Study...

Danoh

Yo, dodge and company: the following is a very simple example of how to study a thing out in Scripture.

We read in Acts 9 that one point, Paul headed for Tarsus.

Supposing you were wanting to study what he did while he was there.

You would do so through seeking to cross-reference possibly related words, phrases, and or passages, where ever they might be found in the Scripture.

What then was Paul doing at Tarsus?

A little background...

After Paul is saved, he goes into Damascus, where a disciple of the Lord is instructed to go and seek Paul out....At first, said disciple hesitates.

Acts *9:15 But the Lord said unto him, Go thy way: for he is a chosen vessel unto me, to bear my name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of Israel: *9:16 For I will shew him how great things he must suffer for my name's sake. *

Later in Acts 9, Paul's life is in danger; which is when he leaves for the region of Tarsus.

9:28 And he was with them coming in and going out at Jerusalem. *9:29 And he spake boldly in the name of the Lord Jesus, and disputed against the Grecians: but they went about to slay him. *9:30 Which when the brethren knew, they brought him down to Caesarea, and sent him forth to Tarsus. *9:31 Then had the churches rest throughout all Judaea and Galilee and Samaria, and were edified; and walking in the fear of the Lord, and in the comfort of the Holy Ghost, were multiplied.

It says there IN ACTS 9:30 that he left for Tarsus.

Where was that? In Cilicia....

Acts *21:39 *But Paul said, I am a man which am a Jew of Tarsus, a city in Cilicia, a citizen of no mean city: and, I beseech thee, suffer me to speak unto the people.

And that Acts 9 account is basically repeated by Paul in the following...

Galatians *1:18 Then after three years I went up to Jerusalem to see Peter, and abode with him fifteen days. *1:19 But other of the apostles saw I none, save James the Lord's brother. *1:20 Now the things which I write unto you, behold, before God, I lie not. *1:21 Afterwards I came into the regions of Syria and Cilicia; *1:22 And was unknown by face unto the churches of Judaea which were in Christ: *1:23 But they had heard only, That he which persecuted us in times past now preacheth the faith which once he destroyed. *1:24 And they glorified God in me.

So he was in Syria and Cilicia, back in Acts 9.

Which is where Barnabas goes to find him in...

Acts *11:25 *Then departed Barnabas to Tarsus, for to seek Saul:

What was Paul doing while in the regions of Syria and Cilicia?

He was busy evangelizing Gentiles.

Note who the letter described in Acts 15 was sent to, after the dispute over whether Gentiles had to submit to Circumcision and keep the Law, was settled...

Acts *15:22 Then pleased it the apostles and elders, with the whole church, to send chosen men of their own company to Antioch with Paul and Barnabas; namely, Judas surnamed Barsabas, and Silas, chief men among the brethren: *15:23 And they wrote letters by them after this manner; The apostles and elders and brethren send greeting unto the brethren which are of the Gentiles in Antioch and Syria and Cilicia: *

In other words, Paul had been converting Gentiles in Syria and Cilicia.

Gentiles he had neither required submit to Circumcision, nor to keeping the Law.

15:24 Forasmuch as we have heard, that certain which went out from us have troubled you with words, subverting your souls, saying, Ye must be circumcised, and keep the law: to whom we gave no such commandment: *15:25 It seemed good unto us, being assembled with one accord, to send chosen men unto you with our beloved Barnabas and Paul, *15:26 Men that have hazarded their lives for the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. *

And remember how that in 11:25, Barnabas had gone to that area for to seek Paul?

Apparantly, he spent some time there with Paul with said Gentiles....

15:36 And some days after Paul said unto Barnabas, Let us go again and visit our brethren in every city where we have preached the word of the LORD, and see how they do. *

15:40 And Paul chose Silas, and departed, being recommended by the brethren unto the grace of God. *15:41 And he went through Syria and Cilicia, confirming the churches.

But wait, weren't Paul and Barnabas separated unto that later than Acts 9 - in Acts 13?

No.

Rather, Paul's and Barnabas' separation in Acts 13, had merely been a public witness they had been separated unto God for that purpose, earlier per...

Acts *9:15 But the Lord said unto him, Go thy way: for he is a chosen vessel unto me, to bear my name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of Israel: *9:16 For I will shew him how great things he must suffer for my name's sake.

Acts *13:1 Now there were in the church that was at Antioch certain prophets and teachers; as Barnabas, and Simeon that was called Niger, and Lucius of Cyrene, and Manaen, which had been brought up with Herod the tetrarch, and Saul. *13:2 As they ministered to the Lord, and fasted, the Holy Ghost said, Separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work whereunto I have called them. *13:3 And when they had fasted and prayed, and laid their hands on them, they sent them away. *13:4 So they, being sent forth by the Holy Ghost, departed unto Seleucia; and from thence they sailed to Cyprus.

A simple study through cross-referencing words, phrases, and passages that appear related by same theme, subject, and or overall context.

Commentaries need not apply.

But for this one :chuckle:

Reactions: Lon

dodge

Danoh;5013340]Yo, dodge and company: the following is a very simple example of how to study a thing out in Scripture.

Danoh, you are majoring on the minor so much you are missing the rest of the bible.

Act 2:41
Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.

Act 2:47
Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.

The B.O.C. was started long before Paul ever got saved as scripture teaches.

NO commentaries needed.

Reactions: Lon

dodge

That's too much work!
Can't I just read one commentary that tells me what to think?

STP, you are majoring on the minor so much you are missing the rest of the bible.

Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.

Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.

NO commentaries needed.

Danoh

STP, you are majoring on the minor so much you are missing the rest of the bible.

NO commentaries needed.

Lol, bro - eight year old granddaughters do that kind of thing all day long.

They take what they believe is so, as being so, simply because their own "commentary about" it, makes it appear so.

Time to "put away childish things," bro.

SaulToPaul 2

NO commentaries needed.

:chuckle:

Which church?

dodge

Lol, bro - eight year old granddaughters do that kind of thing all day long.

They take what they believe is so, as being so, simply because their own "commentary about" it, makes it appear so.

Time to "put away childish things," bro.

nah, just going by and believing scripture as it is written will never work for MADist they have to destroy the context to arrive in the error they are in. It is not rocket science 3000 were added to the church as in the B.O.C..

NO commentaries needed.

Danoh

nah, just going by and believing scripture as it is written will never work for MADist they have to destroy the context to arrive in the error they are in. It is not rocket science 3000 were added to the church as in the B.O.C..

NO commentaries needed.

1- As I have already noted; it is clear to me you do not know how to study out a word; phrase; and or passage.

Until you actually bother to learn how to do that much, you will continue to be a child in your assertions - believing a thing is so because you think it is.

Oh I'm sure you will now come back with more of the same.

But it will not be proof you even know what I am talking about: let alone; how to do that.

2 - Your views are a confusion of Reformed and Dispensational views and you don't even know it.

Pre-Trib Rapturism is a Dispensational view.

As is the view that God is not through with Israel.

While, the view that there is only one so called "church" in Scripture is a Reformed view.

You...are...confused and don't even know you are.

By the way, all that was two points I was making. I numbered them so you don't lose sight of the one over the other; as you often do.

Proverbs 27:17

dodge

1- As I have already noted; it is clear to me you do not know how to study out a word; phrase; and or passage.

Until you actually bother to learn how to do that much, you will continue to be a child in your assertions - believing a thing is so because you think it is.

Oh I'm sure you will now come back with more of the same.

But it will not be proof you even know what I am talking about: let alone; how to do that.

2 - Your views are a confusion of Reformed and Dispensational views and you don't even know it.

Pre-Trib Rapturism is a Dispensational view.

As is the view that God is not through with Israel.

While, the view that there is only one so called "church" in Scripture is a Reformed view.

You...are...confused and don't even know you are.

By the way, all that was two points I was making. I numbered them so you don't lose sight of the one over the other; as you often do.

Proverbs 27:17

It has nothing to do with studying a word and everything to do if and when the Holy Spirit brings it to your understanding, which to split the gospel into two, doubt the 3000 and 5000 were added to the B.O.C. only shows for what ever reason the holy Spirit has not brought the understanding to YOU. You rely way to much on YOU and not nearly enough on God. You do understand that the war is spiritual right ?

Danoh

It has nothing to do with studying a word and everything to do if and when the Holy Spirit brings it to your understanding, which to split the gospel into two, doubt the 3000 and 5000 were added to the B.O.C. only shows for what ever reason the holy Spirit has not brought the understanding to YOU. You rely way to much on YOU and not nearly enough on God. You do understand that the war is spiritual right ?

Superstition on your part.

The Spirit gives understanding through His written Word, when approached by one trained in how to do the following; which is what the aptitude "able to teach" is - a LEARNED skill.

Nehemiah 8:5 And Ezra opened the book in the sight of all the people; (for he was above all the people; ) and when he opened it, all the people stood up: 8:6 And Ezra blessed the LORD, the great God. And all the people answered, Amen, Amen, with lifting up their hands: and they bowed their heads, and worshipped the LORD with their faces to the ground. 8:7 Also Jeshua, and Bani, and Sherebiah, Jamin, Akkub, Shabbethai, Hodijah, Maaseiah, Kelita, Azariah, Jozabad, Hanan, Pelaiah, and the Levites, caused the people to understand the law: and the people stood in their place.

How did they cause the people to understand?

8:8 So they read in the book in the law of God distinctly, and gave the sense, and caused them to understand the reading.

Isaiah 8:20 To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.

2 Timothy 2:2 And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also.

Yours is superstition.

Far too many assert as you do - that the Spirit guided them to this or that understanding - and yet they all disagree with one another; misquote passages; forget where a passage is; and so on.

Yours is superstition - one verse or another read into by you.

Learn to do a word, phrase, and passage study.

Acts 17:2 And Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them, and three sabbath days reasoned with them out of the scriptures, 17:3 Opening and alleging, that Christ must needs have suffered, and risen again from the dead; and that this Jesus, whom I preach unto you, is Christ.

17:11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so. 17:12 Therefore many of them believed; also of honourable women which were Greeks, and of men, not a few.

Last edited:

dodge

Superstition on your part.

The Spirit gives understanding through His written Word, when approached by one trained in how to do the following; which is what the aptitude "able to teach" is - a LEARNED skill.

Lets see you worthy study has led you into the deceptions and the absolute disregard of what Jesus taught, and the ignoring of all the Apostles other than Paul which landed YOU in the error of MAD, and my "superstition" has led me to trust and believe all of the scripture, all of the Apostles, and the teachings of Jesus.

EXACTLY they searched the scriptures NOT Darby , Lam and the rest of those that led each other into error.

FYI, I do study scripture the difference in you an I is I do not force scripture into a man made error called MAD as you do.

I take it you do not place much trust in the leadership of the Holy Spirit ?

SaulToPaul 2

Where did Jesus descend to and who did He preach to when He died on the cross ?

1 Peter 3
19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;

20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

They were not among the eight souls saved.

That is what it says.

Danoh

Lets see you worthy study has led you into the deceptions and the absolute disregard of what Jesus taught, and the ignoring of all the Apostles other than Paul which landed YOU in the error of MAD, and my "superstition" has led me to trust and believe all of the scripture, all of the Apostles, and the teachings of Jesus.

EXACTLY they searched the scriptures NOT Darby , Lam and the rest of those that led each other into error.

FYI, I do study scripture the difference in you an I is I do not force scripture into a man made error called MAD as you do.

I take it you do not place much trust in the leadership of the Holy Spirit ?

Yep, ol dodge never learned - from the Word - how to do a word, passage, and or phrase study - from the Word.

You have been asserting man made ideas.

Both your own, and those of others you have cited.

And the Spirit leads through His Word.

See this..

Ephesians 5:18 And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit; 5:19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;

That is this...

Colossians 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

John 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

You do err - not knowing THE SCRIPTURES on these issues.

Put away your superstitions.

Faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by THE WORD.

Duh-uh.

Proverbs 27:17.