• Theo Victis

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • Turbo

Votes: 39 67.2%

• Total voters

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Capital Punishment: Should Christians support the Death Penalty?
Battle Royale XI
Turbo vs. theo_victis

Who won and why?

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Turbo clearly won. He used several Biblical references as to why the death penalty is just and how it is effective. The death penalty is at the heart of the gospel.

theo_victis’ stance of “forgive them all and let God sort them out” contradicts with his own view of “forgive them and put them in a cage until they die”. Not sure how prison can be the result of forgiveness.

Also, I think the chances of someone becoming a Christian are much greater if the person knows that they are going to meet their Maker tomorrow rather then being locked up for years. Being in a cage for years will most likely harden your heart, not the opposite.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
turbo won because theo left out his best argument .. which would have been:

"christians should not support the death penalty because the mainstream media doesnt like it and that will make christians more popular. besides .. the death penalty is just so MEAN .. and i want to be NICE ... "

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Lucky said:
It was like Wimp Lo taking on the Chosen One.

:turbo: :first:

Master Tang: Pay no attention to Wimp Lo, we purposely trained him wrong... as a joke.

jeremiah

BANNED
Banned
The question was: Should Christians support the death penalty.

Therefore you would have to establish the authority from which a Christian should make such a decision. Usually Christians cite three sources, God through the Church, God through the Bible, or God through the Holy Spirit speaking to someone in a prophetic voice.

I do not recall either debater citing any Church as the authority in their reasoning?

Nor do I recall them citing a prophecy outside the Bible, as a possible authority.

That should be the only appeal outside the Church, or the Bible, that a Christian could use, in making his defense for a Christian's support of the death penalty.

Therefore any appeals made to sociological, or philosophical or practical arguments I tended to ignore.

Both debaters focused mainly upon biblical arguments. In that area I thought that Turbo clearly won, and therefore won the debate, fairly easily, IMHO.

As I noticed early on, Turbo had come to the same conclusions on many texts that I had arrived at many years ago, in a Bible based Calvary Chapel.

Both debaters noted that the penalty for murder, as given to a theocratic, covenant nation of Israel was death. Only Turbo seemed to notice and mention and importance of it being swift, and painful.

I thought that theo's greatest biblical flaw was that he did not notice that an independent theocratic Israel had long ago been conquered, and that the death penalty was now in the hands of governing authorities. The governing authorities, Roman, which used their SWORD and put Yeshua to death, even though He was without sin. Yet it was this very SWORD, or "cross" in this case that Jesus had counted on, to fulfill His purpose for humanity.

Turbo correctly connected the "dot"s from Israel, to the governing authorites, to Yeshua, and into the New Testament.

I thought that a case could be made for the government having mercy in some cases, and that theo should have developed his arguments through the "exceptions" only and not through the "rules" themselves.

I am sure that we all realize that there are many repentant and forgiven murderers with the Lord right now. I don't think that theo understands that you can forgive a repentant murderer, yet still expect the government to put them to death. Just as I can forgive someone who repents of stealing my money, and I can even choose to forgive him of the money he owes me. However I expect him to hand it back to me if it is still in his power to do so. I can not forgive him of the money he stole from my neighbor and I can not prevent the government from punishing him appropriately.

I thought theo's strongest point was his comments about the avatars. I am older than most here, so I viewed them as sophmoric at best, to which I gave them one tenth of a guffaw.

I thank both of you very much, I read the entire debate, except for skimming some of theo's last post. {Where it was repetitive}

It was very interesting to me. The previous debate I did not follow because I did not like the nature of one of the participants. You two kept my interest the entire way. Way to go!

That is my 2 cents worth and my synopsis.
;)

Prisca

Pain Killer
Super Moderator
Excellent debate, guys! theo, even though I don't agree with your position, your last post was very well written.

Turbo, what can I say? Your posts were well planned and perfectly "executed".

rehcjam

Excellent debate.
Turbo was very, very impressive. I think that this debate could be a very good teaching tool. It deals with many many fallacies and misunderstandings about the Bible. Thanks to you guys and TOL for having such a good debate. Although I think that Theo did a very good job, he brought up many good points and fought very well, his position is really untenable and up against someone like Turbo, who seems to be at the top of his game, he had no chance. Again, :thumb: good job.

stevenw

BANNED
Banned
I was just told I have already voted on this poll and I have not - seems a little fishy as my vote was to go to Theo V

stevenw

BANNED
Banned
Knight said:
Capital Punishment: Should Christians support the Death Penalty?
Battle Royale XI
Turbo vs. theo_victis

Who won and why?
Turbo was completely smashed by Theo. Slam dunk. The overstated conceit and nepotic, self-lauditory platiudes are truly unconvincing. Theo V deflty demonstrated what a christan's attitude toward the DP should be and supported his arguments with elegance and dexterity. Turbo blundered his way around like a bull in a china shop as is his standard approach. Well done Theo! Keep up the good standard.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
stevenw said:
I was just told I have already voted on this poll and I have not - seems a little fishy as my vote was to go to Theo V
Or, maybe you double-clicked on the vote submission button instead of single-clicking.

Your vote counted.

death2impiety

Maximeee's Husband
stevenw said:
Turbo was completely smashed by Theo. Slam dunk. The overstated conceit and nepotic, self-lauditory platiudes are truly unconvincing. Theo V deflty demonstrated what a christan's attitude toward the DP should be and supported his arguments with elegance and dexterity. Turbo blundered his way around like a bull in a china shop as is his standard approach. Well done Theo! Keep up the good standard.

...too bad he didn't use the Bible too...:sigh:

acuraisgood

BANNED
Banned
...too bad he didn't use the Bible too

Theo_Victis used the Bible. Turbo used the Bible. I think both made good arguments. I am going to go with Theo_Victis on this one though. He reasoned through scripture and Turbo didnt.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
acuraisgood said:
Theo_Victis used the Bible. Turbo used the Bible. I think both made good arguments. I am going to go with Theo_Victis on this one though. He reasoned through scripture and Turbo didnt.

:rotfl:

Have you no shame?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Unfortunately our friend Theo decided to "stuff the ballet box" and registered almost 20 usernames today this would be in addition the 6 or so usernames we were already allowing him to use here on TOL. Due to this immature behavior Theo and all of his multiple usernames are banned from TOL.

We are not going to delete Theo's multiple votes in the BR XI pole and let the record show that Turbo never voted for himself even once. Therefore Theo voted for himself multiple times and Turbo never voted for himself once yet Turbo still leads the vote by a HUGE margin. Theo.... :nono: