Gonzales v. Carhart (PBA Ban) Analysis

CRASH

TOL Subscriber
from www.kgov.com:

* Dr. Dobson Staffer:dunce:, "3rd trimester abortion outlawed!": after we learned that Focus on the Family's staff and call center were giving out false information about what the PBA ban actually does, Bob Enyart asked his general manager Will Duffy, to place just one call to 1-800-A-Family (Dr. Dobson's ministry phone number), to record the call, and to request no one in particular, but just ask the question, "What does the partial-birth abortion ban actually do?" On this show, you can hear Susan from the Focus on the Family correspondence department answer, "The U.S. Supreme Court made it illegal for women to have an abortion in the last trimester." Later in the call, Will asks for a clarification: "Okay, so that'd be the seventh, eighth, and ninth months?" "Yes." Bob Enyart also re-aired a clip from another pro-life ministry which provides totally false information about the ruling. Rob Schenck (pronounced shank) is president of Faith and Action and works also with the National Pro-Life Action Center which his twin brother Paul founded, both groups operating in Washington D.C. just across the street from the Supreme Court. The brothers have close ties to Pat Robertson and his American Center for Law and Justice, and Paul has worked for Jay Sekulow as executive vice president of the ACLJ. Bob re-aired the clip of Rob Schenck grossly misinforming Christians about the brutally wicked Gonzales v. Carhart ruling. Because the authority written into this law by pro-lifers never had even the possibility of saving a single child's life, it is probably impossible to justify the 15 years and tens of millions of dollars wasted on this PBA ban by actually quoting what the Gonzales v. Carhart ruling actually holds. And as a result, pro-life ministries continue the long misinformation campaign about what the "ban" actually does, for in fact, it doesn't even prohibit an abortionist from partially delivering a late-term fetus, and then killing the baby. The ruling is more of a PBA Manual, explaining in some detail exactly how an abortionist can legally perform a text-book partial-birth abortion, or how he can perform a four-inch variation on traditional PBA. The new procedure can be called a "Navel PBA."
Will Duffy's complete call to Focus is six minutes and 36 seconds long. You can download the one minute and 19 second excerpt that Bob aired, and the entire call.
http://www.jillstanek.com/archives/2007/05/pba_inside_base.html

GodsfreeWill

Gold Subscriber
Great to see there's not much opposition to Bob's analysis. It will save me lots of typing time. I guess it's hard to argue something so blatantly obvious. Everyone, please spread the word.

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
Great to see there's not much opposition to Bob's analysis. It will save me lots of typing time. I guess it's hard to argue something so blatantly obvious. Everyone, please spread the word.

It sure should be obvious. I listened to BEL today, cant think of that radio show clown's name that Bob talked to. (recorded) It was like every point Bob made whizzed over his head. At least Bob is getting the word out. Thanks for your efforts Bob, that call to Focus on the Family was very telling, and dissapointing also.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

It's so blatently obvious that it's affected me more than anything has in a long time. It's simply been heart wrenching.

I know you're doing a lot, as well as many others, to help Bob with this goal of getting the truth out. Thanks for your devotion. :up:

And the reality of your avatar is simply devastating. :(

PKevman

How anyone can think this in any way pushes us toward abortion being illegal, or is a good ruling at all, is beyond me.

If they do it is only because they don't know what it actually says and they are just going by what someone else told them. Like that Epperson guy that Bob talked with. Praising the ruling as a major victory and had NO CLUE what it actually said! Sad that people don't take the time to investigate things anymore.

purfle

antiproabortion proponent

antiproabortion proponent

If only all of us could think like Giuliani (spl) then it wouldn't bother us...right?

Segue

AROTO

If they do it is only because they don't know what it actually says and they are just going by what someone else told them. Like that Epperson guy that Bob talked with. Praising the ruling as a major victory and had NO CLUE what it actually said! Sad that people don't take the time to investigate things anymore.

My mom actually called me when she heard about the ruling and she was very excited. She thought it was an end to PBA but then I read a few things from the actual ruling to her and she was crushed.

America has degenerated into a society that just regurgitates what they hear on the news and there is no effort to find out for themselves what is actually true.

Sad, just sad:sigh:

Bob Hill

TOL Subscriber
Bob and his friends, keep us the great work. Now that I'm retired, I'm going to be on TOL quite a bit. I still have my own site, biblicalanswers.com.

In Christ,
Bob Hill

GodsGadfly

Like Alan Keyes, Judie Brown and Charles Rice, I am a Catholic, one who believes that following Jesus Christ is far more important than compromising with any legal authority, and one who believes the Catholic teaching that any law that violates the Natural Law is itself unacceptable. I notice that the groups praising this ruling--NRLC, Focus on the Family, USCCB, etc.--are either silent on or approbative of legalized contraception. In fact, the head of my state's NRLC affiliate, a member of my parish, told me that contraception is a "sectarian" issue when I brought it up, even though many evangelical Christians and Orthodox, as well as Muslims, many Hindus, and even some environmentalists and alternative medicine advocates oppose artificial contraception. The Supreme Court has acknowledged that abortion exists as a back-up for contraception.

NRLC began to lose my confidence in 1992 when they endorsed the _Casey_ ruling and told people not to vote for Pat Buchanan. When Alan Keyes ran in 1996, seemingly lacking some of Buchanan's "albatrosses," I thought for sure NRLC would endorse him, and they didn't. When SC Citizens for Life gave a "pro-life" award to state attorney general Charlie "Electric Couch" Condon, they lost all credibility with me (I consider myself moderate on the death penalty, but anyone who says we should be able to execute multiple criminals as efficiently as possible has no respect for human life). The South Dakota thing last year nailed NRLC's coffin shut.

Show me how "incrementalism" works when, before _Roe v. Wade_, most Americans thought of abortion as a taboo, a necessary but unspeakable evil at most, and now most Americans think it's a constitutional right?