REPORT: The Death Penalty Debate - By Bob Enyart

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
David was a murderer and an adulterer. Both crimes were punishable by death, but God forgave David when he repented, and did not demand David be put to death.

Is it therefore reasonable to argue that God abolished the death penaly altogether when He forgave David? Is that reasonable?

YES or NO

Freak

Originally posted by Turbo
David was a murderer and an adulterer. Both crimes were punishable by death, but God forgave David when he repented, and did not demand David be put to death.
God was just in this, was He not?

Is it therefore reasonable to argue that God abolished the death penaly altogether when He forgave David? Is that reasonable?

God was just in dealing with David! Christ rescued Paul which clearly shows, that under the New Covenant, the death penalty via the State, was not something Christ was in favor of!

Freak

Originally posted by Tye Porter
How can you say this?
Did not Christ offer to allow the men to stone to death, the woman accused of adultery?

He did? Did the woman die in John 8?

The fact that nobody was worthy, aside, God condoned it. He is clearly in support of it. [/color]

Paul was a murderer, Tye, why did Jesus not call for his death since he was a mass murderer? :kookoo:

Freak

Now you obscure the truth, and run from the face of it.

I asked you a question..either put up or shut up--Paul was a murderer, Tye, why did Jesus not call for his death since he was a mass murderer?

That is no way to grow, Freak. You'll stagnate, and become luke warm.[/color]
I love and serve Jesus and have been since I was a teenager. So, it appears you know nothing about me and my walk with God.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
David was a murderer, Freak, why did God not call for his death since he was a murderer? :hammer:

Freak

Paul, then Saul, became a repentant sinner.

So, if a murderer comes to Christ they can go before the courts and ask for a release from the death penalty because of their conversion?

You've been angry with your brother,
But I haven't been. So, moot point you have.

Back to my question: Paul was a murderer, Tye, why did Jesus (the one who created the death penalty) not call for his death since he was a mass murderer?

Freak

David was a murderer, Freak, why did God not call for his death since he was a murderer?
God was just in dealing with David as He was with Paul. Thanks for asking. :D

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Freak
God was just in this, was He not?

God was just in dealing with David! Christ rescued Paul which clearly shows, that under the New Covenant, the death penalty via the State, was not something Christ was in favor of!
Then why doesn't God rescuing David show that under the Old Covenant, the death penalty via the State, was not something God was in favor of?

I know your argument about Paul. I'm pointing out that you are inconsistent not to apply the same reasoning to David and others who were pardoned while under the Old Covenant.

Freak

[We don't want you to pull a Zakath on us, we need you, when you are on the money, to debate some of the other atheists in here.
:crackup: How long have you been on TOL?

Freak

Then why doesn't God rescuing David show that under the Old Covenant, the death penalty via the State, was not something God was in favor of?

I know your argument about Paul. I'm pointing out that you are inconsistent not to apply the same reasoning to David and others who were pardoned while under the Old Covenant.

It's not a inconsistency. We are dealing with two different Covenants. Besides, God was just in dealing with both of them.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If it meant God abolished the death penalty when he pardoned Paul, why doesn't it mean he abolished the death penalty when he pardoned David?

Even if God does oppose the death penalty under the New Covenant, your argument that Paul's pardon is conclusive proof of this is weak, because we had seen God pardon simililarly under the Old Covenant WITHOUT repealing the death penalty.

Freak

If it meant God abolished the death penalty when he pardoned Paul, why doesn't it mean he abolished the death penalty when he pardoned David?
The New Covenant, as I explained to you before, does not endorse the State's use of the death penalty, so Christ was consistent with that message in the New Covenant.

In the Old Covenant, did not God allow David eat in the Temple when he was allowed to do so? God is more concerned about showing mercy and love and was simply just in dealing with David.

...because we had seen God pardon simililarly under the Old Covenant WITHOUT repealing the death penalty.
We have a superior Covenant in the New. The New has surplanted many things, Turbo. Were you aware of this????

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So you SPECULATE that Paul pardon means the death penatly is abolished, but you don't even consider that a possibility when God pardoned David?

Still waiting for those pro-prison "redemptive justice" verses, by the way.

Freak

So you SPECULATE that Paul pardon means the death penatly is abolished,

Nope. In light of the New Covenant's teaching, what Jesus did was consistent.

Still waiting for those pro-prison "redemptive justice" verses, by the way.
Is there a verse about the use of tracts in evangelistic events or how to conduct a marriage ceremony?

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Ah, so you admit your "redemptive justice" prison sentences are not scriptural. I'm impressed.

Freak

Ah, so you admit your "redemptive justice" prison sentences are not scriptural. I'm impressed.
There is many nonessential issues that are not clearly taught in Scripture--how to conduct marriages, etc. But the priniciples for redemptive justice is clearly taught in Scripture.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Show me. I'm especially interested in the principle that murderers should be locked in prisons.