Infractions for reporting posts that DO NOT NEED REPORTING.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I will soon start handing out infractions for people who are continually reporting posts that should not be reported. And if your infractions add up you will be auto-banned.

If you don't like what another member is posting just ignore them or even use the "ignore feature" that will hide their posts from you.

I'm a busy guy and I'm sick of investigating some many reported posts that are not breaking any TOL rules.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
You know what might actually help that work? If when A puts B on ignore B can no longer see A's posts either.

Here's why I think that matters: you put someone on ignore. Later you find a topic that interests you. You don't see any indication of the problem child, but immediately after you post you see a note that the poster has posted. It could be coincidence, but you know it likely isn't. That's how those starved for your attention goad you into giving it. And it's human nature to speak to it and/or look at some point, especially if it happens a good deal.

But, if my putting you on ignore took away your ability to read what I'm writing it would make it difficult for you to chime in without looking like an enormous doofus and my knowing you couldn't really be discussing anything I'd said would make the temptation to end ignoring you and entering into the old problem much less likely.

I don't know if it's possible to do, but I bet it would have a positive impact.

:e4e:

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
LOL... yeah... I saw that.

Also... I added a new infraction in the mod-tools for "Falsely reporting posts"
Nice! Also the warnings I give for this may include a link to the ban them yourself thread!

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
I will soon start handing out infractions for people who are continually reporting posts that should not be reported. And if your infractions add up you will be auto-banned.

If you don't like what another member is posting just ignore them or even use the "ignore feature" that will hide their posts from you.

I'm a busy guy and I'm sick of investigating some many reported posts that are not breaking any TOL rules.

this post has been reported

You know what might actually help that work? If when A puts B on ignore B can no longer see A's posts either.

that is totally retarded :kookoo:

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Excellent idea, Knight, especially lately. :BRAVO:

Nang

TOL Subscriber

Here's why I think that matters: you put someone on ignore. Later you find a topic that interests you. You don't see any indication of the problem child, but immediately after you post you see a note that the poster has posted. It could be coincidence, but you know it likely isn't. That's how those starved for your attention goad you into giving it. And it's human nature to speak to it and/or look at some point, especially if it happens a good deal.

But, if my putting you on ignore took away your ability to read what I'm writing it would make it difficult for you to chime in without looking like an enormous doofus and my knowing you couldn't really be discussing anything I'd said would make the temptation to end ignoring you and entering into the old problem much less likely.

I don't know if it's possible to do, but I bet it would have a positive impact.

That might be used in a tyrannical fashion, if allowed, for even though another poster might really bother you, his/her response at large might be helpful and give perspective to others reading what you are posting.

Such could potentially be a means of removing all critique of one's views.

Like how could the RCC express their views against my protestations, if they could not read them. I could just ignore all Roman Catholics and sharply reduce their participation around here, by doing so. Or at least, I and other Reformers could reduce them to mere bloggers by using such method.

;)

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
That might be used in a tyrannical fashion, if allowed, for even though another poster might really bother you, his/her response at large might be helpful and give perspective to others reading what you are posting.
I think you're misunderstanding me. I'm saying that if I have you on ignore YOU (not anyone else) can't read what I write and I can't read what you write.

As it stands now it's one sided. So I can put you on ignore while you get free shots at commenting on my posts. It's often how people who are put on ignore goad others into taking them off. But if you can't see me when I can't see you it effectively robs both of us of a way to comment on our respective writings and knowing that removes the temptation to look.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I think you're misunderstanding me. I'm saying that if I have you on ignore YOU (not anyone else) can't read what I write and I can't read what you write.

As it stands now it's one sided. So I can put you on ignore while you get free shots at commenting on my posts. It's often how people who are put on ignore goad others into taking them off. But if you can't see me when I can't see you it effectively robs both of us of a way to comment on our respective writings and knowing that removes the temptation to look.

She right.

Let's say Steko has me on ignore.
He then starts a thread about whether the last supper was the passover lamb meal.
I want to counter the argument he makes.
I know he cannot see my counter, but I want to counter his points for the viewers.

If I cannot see what he posts, I can't counter any of his points.

Just because Steko doesn't want to see what I write, does not mean that I should have to give up seeing what he writes.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

This post has been reported
ROFL!

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
She right.

Let's say Steko has me on ignore.
He then starts a thread about whether the last supper was the passover lamb meal.
I want to counter the argument he makes.
I know he cannot see my counter, but I want to counter his points for the viewers.

If I cannot see what he posts, I can't counter any of his points.
It's a small price to pay to make ignore functional. And I've never seen any point made around here want for counters.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It's a small price to pay to make ignore functional. And I've never seen any point made around here want for counters.
I countered people that had me on ignore a lot of times.

Did it practically every day when Grace&Peace put me on ignore.
There is no way I would want her to be able to post her garbage and not be able to counter it.

No go on that idea.

I don't have anyone on ignore.
I want to see what everyone says. And if I have a counter to what they say, I want to be able to quote them and counter it.

Nang

TOL Subscriber

I understand you, but I can also discern that you are being subjective with your suggestion, and less than objective with your complaint.

Breathe

I think VBulletin has a forced ignore feature that can be used to MAKE members ignore each other. At least, it used to. Handy for those people who should ignore each other, but won't. Might come in handy.