Prepping for the big server move.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Starting as early as Monday or Tuesday of next week Oct 1st or 2nd I will begin the process of moving the TOL website from our existing server (where we have been for years and years) to our brand new Cloud server and with a completely new company. The hosting company we have had the last several years is changing their business model and nearly doubled our hosting fees therefore I decided to move to a new company.

The bad news: This is going to be a tough move logistically. We have accumulated a lot of data and it takes a long time to move all that data from one place to another.

The good news: The new company pricing was within our budget and their servers run on the very latest operating software which I am really excited about. Also, since we will be hosted in the cloud it will be much easier to upgrade or downgrade should we ever need to.

The move itself will take about 2 days. And then even after that some folks will not be able to see the new TOL for a day or two depending on how fast your internet service provider updates their name servers.

Internet Explorer users: If you still use Internet Explorer it's possible that IE will continue to try to force you to see the old site which will be shut down. You might try Chrome, Firefox, or Safari, if this happens to you.

During the move I will try to make frequent updates on Facebook here... http://www.facebook.com/theologyonline

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Starting as early as Monday or Tuesday of next week Oct 1st or 2nd I will begin the process of moving the TOL website from our existing server (where we have been for years and years) to our brand new Cloud server and with a completely new company. The hosting company we have had the last several years is changing their business model and nearly doubled our hosting fees therefore I decided to move to a new company.

The bad news: This is going to be a tough move logistically. We have accumulated a lot of data and it takes a long time to move all that data from one place to another.

The good news: The new company pricing was within our budget and their servers run on the very latest operating software which I am really excited about. Also, since we will be hosted in the cloud it will be much easier to upgrade or downgrade should we ever need to.

The move itself will take about 2 days. And then even after that some folks will not be able to see the new TOL for a day or two depending on how fast your internet service provider updates their name servers.

Internet Explorer users: If you still use Internet Explorer it's possible that IE will continue to try to force you to see the old site which will be shut down. You might try Chrome, Firefox, or Safari, if this happens to you.

During the move I will try to make frequent updates on Facebook here... http://www.facebook.com/theologyonline

Please let me know if you have any questions.
I've got Firefox. When should the new site be up?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I've got Firefox. When should the new site be up?
Alot of it depends on your ISP.

It will be down for everyone for awhile as I move files over. Then when I turn the site back on and switch the DNS it will take varying amounts of time for folks to be able to see the new site.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I have been doing some prep work for the big move tonight. TOL will most likely be offline tomorrow and possible Wednesday.

WizardofOz

No! Offline for one, possibly two days......:sigh:

Now, if only someone can pay me a nickel for every time I mindless try anyway. :doh:

It's just a habit at this point.

Memento Mori

No! Offline for one, possibly two days......:sigh:

Now, if only someone can pay me a nickel for every time I mindless try anyway. :doh:

It's just a habit at this point.

If someone paid you for that, you would be making money in a very weird way.

Also, I suggest MineCraft while the server is down. Talk about addicting.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'll Probably be playing BeJeweled--writing or playing one of the slot games on my computer.

alwight

I wonder would now be a good time to get banned or do penalties take account of TOL downtime? :think:

rainee

ARE WE THERE YET ?

ARE WE THERE YET ?

ARE WE THERE YET ?

lol!

It seems we are here right now, yes?
you all are not fig newtons of my imagination, are you?

I was all wound up and weepy last night - yet it all seems normal this morning!