Atheist activist becomes "Christian".

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
All in what you believe I guess. If imaginary friends get you through life
Rather a real God got me out of your narcissistic and cynical worldview.

and you love the thoughts of being brain washed and unable to think for yourself then live it up.
If you're going to play at being the condescending intellectual you need to sharpen your rhetoric and your grammar. God isn't the end of thought but the context for it. You're wasting time with the juvenile angle. I don't bait and you'll have to find more than a posture if you mean for me to take you seriously.

.....people always get religion when they are going to die or going through a bad time
God delivered me in my second year of law school, in the top tier of my class and happily ensconced. Or happy at least as I understood it before being, to borrow, surprised by joy in abundance.

even atheists its just the way the ball bounces. Looking at life through rose colored glasses with a bible in your hand is not going to stop destiny people die and bad things happen to everyone
Nothing new to Christendom. The rain, as blessing or sorrow, falls on the just and unjust alike. God isn't bubble wrap for life. And the Bible isn't a lamp to rub.

be it christian, Atheists or who ever......making negative comments about Atheism all in an attempt to incite me
I don't care if you're incited or not, but I make objectively demonstrable and inescapably true statements about the worst philosophical posit imaginable as context.

won't work there's not an argument you can put up I have not heard before but that's neither here nor there.
If I frame one I will have lapped you here. :rolleyes:

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. — Edward Gibbon
As with the old nonsense about being liberal young and conservative in maturity it's a bit of self serving declaration absent any real teeth.

Or, religion is regarded as true by the adherent, understood to be true by the wise and mocked by the indolent. TH

Couldn't wait on the old ban to lift? :plain:

Question Mark

BANNED
Banned

If you're going to play at being the condescending intellectual you need to sharpen your rhetoric and your grammar. God isn't the end of thought but the context for it. You're wasting time with the juvenile angle. I don't bait and you'll have to find more than a posture if you mean for me to take you seriously.

God delivered me in my second year of law school, in the top tier of my class and happily ensconced. Or happy at least as I understood it before being, to borrow, surprised by joy in abundance.

Nothing new to Christendom. The rain, as blessing or sorrow, falls on the just and unjust alike. God isn't bubble wrap for life. And the Bible isn't a lamp to rub.

I don't care if you're incited or not, but I make objectively demonstrable and inescapably true statements about the worst philosophical posit imaginable as context.

If I frame one I will have lapped you here. :rolleyes:

As with the old nonsense about being liberal young and conservative in maturity it's a bit of self serving declaration absent any real teeth.

Or, religion is regarded as true by the adherent, understood to be true by the wise and mocked by the indolent. TH

Couldn't wait on the old ban to lift? :plain:

Prove a god mister lawyer. You can't. No more than I can.

No you make statements that you have been trained by your religion to make.

So you throw in law school and god thinking that intimidates some body....

God is man made, the bible is written by men so which part am I suppose to be impressed by?

Which end of the field do you move this goal post to?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Prove a god mister lawyer. You can't. No more than I can.
I'll be happy to do it. What criteria, if met, would objectively settle the question? I'll wait while you sort out the failure of empiricism in this regard.

No you make statements that you have been trained by your religion to make.
No more true than your previously unhorsed notion that religion was the repose of those going through a rough patch and no more authoritative than my suggesting you're or Hitchens or Dawkins parrot. I went through a few decades happily dismissing religious ideas as nothing more than reflections of man's attempt to reconcile sentience to a dumb if wonderous mechanism.

So you throw in law school and god thinking that intimidates some body....
No, pup. I note my life and position at the time of my conversion to blow a rather large hole in your simplistic:

.....people always get religion when they are going to die or going through a bad time

The idea being that religion is the singular safe harbor of the frightened and desperate.

God is man made, the bible is written by men so which part am I suppose to be impressed by?
Were supposition argument you'd be then next Mencken. :rolleyes: Given most of what you place after the quotes you choose isn't terribly responsive am I to take it you came to us with a fist full of deadly little arrows you meant to let fly and conversation for you is mostly comprised of a series of pauses into which you announce this or that pithy bit of home-spun or regurgitated (not assuming) prose? Else, what could impress you, Narcissus, that isn't found in a mirror or a grave?

Which end of the field do you move this goal post to?
Ah, you wasted one there, but it was at least somewhat responsive... The illustrated principle was that the saying of a thing only requires belief in the thing said. So your quote was as determining as a Burma shave add and nearly as original.

Have you anything more than declaration, pout and poor posture to speak for you? We've already established some difficulty in conversation and a penchant for the pointlessly rude (see: your last post/rules violation).

But do go on, one way or another. :e4e:

Question Mark

BANNED
Banned
All in what you believe and brought up to believe. This guy made his choice anymore questions direct them to him as anything we say is pure speculation. Have a good one.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
All in what you believe and brought up to believe. This guy made his choice anymore questions direct them to him as anything we say is pure speculation.
See, that's just you saying the same thing again. And it's no more true than your religion is the refuge of the frightened nonsense. I was an atheist for a long time after being presented not only that doctrine, but many others as well. I've read Buddhist teaching, the Koran, Book of
Mormon, a great deal of the Upanishads and I'm well versed in a broader mythology (Norse, Greek, Roman, principally).

If you'd have asked me to choose among them once, after I stopped chuckling, I'd have chosen the Hindu faith.
Have a good one.
You too. :e4e:

Question Mark

BANNED
Banned
See, that's just you saying the same thing again. And it's no more true than your religion is the refuge of the frightened nonsense. I was an atheist for a long time after being presented not only that doctrine, but many others as well. I've read Buddhist teaching, the Koran, Book of
Mormon, a great deal of the Upanishads and I'm well versed in a broader mythology (Norse, Greek, Roman, principally).

If you'd have asked me to choose among them once, after I stopped chuckling, I'd have chosen the Hindu faith.
You too. :e4e:

See, that's just you saying the same thing again. And it's no more true than your religion is the refuge of the frightened nonsense.

Frightened by what? Some Sky Daddy coming from the clouds? Not hardly. Why would I be afraid of mythology? Because 2000 years ago a group of camel jockeys got together and decided that they would invent a god?

I was an atheist for a long time after being presented not only that doctrine, but many others as well. I've read Buddhist teaching, the Koran, Book of

Good for you do you want a medal? Pretty well versed in mythology myself and I do not need a fancy 1 million dollar degree to learn it. You come off as me being beneath you because you are some high and mighty christian the only thing is I do not respect your religion any more than I respect any other religion which is zilch......

But you have your beliefs and I have mine sadly your fancy law degree did not help you turn things around. Good luck.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Frightened by what?
You're the one who suggested it.

Some Sky Daddy coming from the clouds? Not hardly. Why would I be afraid of mythology? Because 2000 years ago a group of camel jockeys got together and decided that they would invent a god?
:plain: I was responding to your point.

Good for you do you want a medal?
Again, responding to your notion of someone following in footsteps the preference of their cultural or particular training. You just keep swinging for the chiropractor, don't you? :eek:

Pretty well versed in mythology myself and I do not need a fancy 1 million dollar degree to learn it.
Degrees don't give you knowledge, but they do reflect that your claim to it is a bit more than a mere claim to it. :D

You come off as me being beneath you because you are some high and mighty christian
That's your misunderstanding. We all come to grace alike in the only way that matters. Else, your manner (or want of manners) and arguments are beneath my conduct and consideration, but that's your choice. I happen to think you could do better. You simply haven't invested the effort.

the only thing is I do not respect your religion any more than I respect any other religion which is zilch......
Lovely. Who would have figured that? :rolleyes:

But you have your beliefs and I have mine sadly your fancy law degree did not help you turn things around.
I agree. Jesus Christ turned my life around. No degree necessary.

Good luck.
Thanks, but I no longer need it. :e4e:

Here's a little something for you to take on your journey. It should come in handy.

my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-brony-season-in-a-couple-of-months.gif

Last edited:

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
Setting aside the man in Texas there is an interesting question here. Time. How long did it take Moses to "convert" and do God's will? Peter? Paul? Is time even a consideration? Is it Biblical? Does God give out various degrees for time in grade? Or is it instantaneous when He reveals himself and directs a person?

INDwayne

Setting aside the man in Texas there is an interesting question here. Time. How long did it take Moses to "convert" and do God's will? Peter? Paul? Is time even a consideration? Is it Biblical? Does God give out various degrees for time in grade? Or is it instantaneous when He reveals himself and directs a person?

I believe the Biblical interpretation is that it can be instantaneous (ie, hear, believe, obey, etc), but in a practical sense it takes years to go from atheist to Christian, and probably still more years yet to become a preacher.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yeah, the amount of time does not seem to be a set factor.

Abraham believed on the spot.
But Gideon kept asking for signs.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I believe the Biblical interpretation is that it can be instantaneous (ie, hear, believe, obey, etc), but in a practical sense it takes years to go from atheist to Christian, and probably still more years yet to become a preacher.
I know my conversion left me standing in faith, but I suppose it could take time to rid yourself of bad habits. I know the quality of my reliance has improved appreciably over the years. It took a while for me to stop relying on me and treating God like someone who had done me a tremendous favor and shouldn't be "bothered" unless it was "important". :chuckle:

He's trying to reconcile Christianity with his actually legitimate moral views.
It's just good to see you and legitimate that near one another. :plain: Anyone have an egg timer on them?

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
INDENT]

This should be filed under.... if you can't beat them, join them, and destroy them from the inside out.

Remember that atheist activist dude named Patrick Greene? He was the guy that was suing the town of Athens Texas because of their Nativity display.

Then it turns out Mr. Green is ill (he's going blind), which in turn makes it so that he and his wife can't pay their bills. So, some local Christians help him out financially. Apparently this gesture warms his heart.

And in the span of just a month or so this guy claims he has become a Christian.

“There’s been one lingering thought in the back of my head my entire life, and it‘s one thought that I’ve never been able to reconcile, and that is the vast difference between all the animals and us,” Greene told The Christian Post on Tuesday, as he began to explain his recent transformation from atheist to Christian. The theory of evolution didn’t answer his questions, he says, so he just set those questions aside and didn’t think about them anymore.​

Sounds like a great story eh???

That is until you read the rest of the story....

Perhaps more surprising than Greene’s conversion — which was unexpected considering his past activism — is his plan to consider entering ministry. The Post reports that he may become a part of a liberal congregation and that he may even start his own chapter of the Rainbow Baptists, a ministry to the LGBTQ community. Greene says that he believes the Bible’s original approach to homosexuality has been altered and that he feels strongly about rectifying it.

Proud homosexuals entering the clergy and attempting to redefine Christianity?

Boy, before you know it they'll want to openly join the military, adopt children, teach in schools, "marry" and be openly accepted in youth mentor groups.​

Nazaroo

A thread like this raises some questions in my mind:

(1) How was Paul treated by the early believing community? How am I supposed to act in situations like this?

(2) How does my own salvation history look from the outside? Where do I need to improve my walk?

(3) What are the legitimate requirements for credibility for any 'new believer'?

(4) What are the options for dealing with real wolves in sheep's clothing?

(5) How does what we do in these situations conform to, or hinder the Gospel?

I guess I feel that these questions, as important as they seem to me,
haven't yet been recognized and addressed on a solid foundation.

Who can help?

Daedalean's_Sun

This should be filed under.... if you can't beat them, join them, and destroy them from the inside out.

Remember that atheist activist dude named Patrick Greene? He was the guy that was suing the town of Athens Texas because of their Nativity display.

Then it turns out Mr. Green is ill (he's going blind), which in turn makes it so that he and his wife can't pay their bills. So, some local Christians help him out financially. Apparently this gesture warms his heart.

And in the span of just a month or so this guy claims he has become a Christian.

According to the Huffpost article he wants to become a pastor.