Proof from the Bible that God is In Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

zippy2006

God is perfect, yet He changed and never became less than perfect. Change does not negate perfection. God is a living God. He moves. He acts. He loves. He creates. He conceives. He judges. He initiates. He speaks. He teaches.

Agreed, within His creation. Change within one's nature is not creativity, it is either a bettering or a worsening of oneself. God is perfect, He does not improve or get worse. See my conversation with Knight.

Lon

Other posts undoubtedly missed but important to this specific discussion:
The difference between infinite God and finite man:
Somewhere in infinity is us. We are inside of the infinite. We have constructs for our existence and these have parameters. Anything with parameters we call 'finite' as in de'finite.' We can de-'fine' where something starts and stops because we can see it and measure it. In math, we understand the concept that lines continue past our perception and never have ends. They keep going forever (immeasurable). Even the 'idea' of time is possible only by having a point A and B. Without either of these, there is no such thing as duration because we cannot measure it (the definition of time - a measurement from point A to B). That is, you cannot even conceive of 'time' for something that has no beginning or end, which God does/is.
2nd) Automatcally, this places God, not as a stone stuck inside of the universe, but beyond it. Because He extends beyond the universe and all creation, He is constantly moving beyond our grasp. Where would He 'move' to? God isn't 'moving' like you or I [not constrained to just that], He is the definition of movement.
Acts 17:28 For in Him we live and move and have our being, as also certain of your own poets have said, For we are also His offspring.

Col 1:16 For all things were created in Him, the things in the heavens, and the things on the earth, the visible and the invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers, all things were created through Him and for Him.
Col 1:17 And He is before all things, and by Him all things consist.
Scriptural references that time is a God-given concept:
2Co 10:13 But we will not boast beyond measure, but according to the measure of the rule which the God of measure distributed to us, to reach even to you.

Eph 3:14 For this cause I bow my knees to the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
Eph 3:15 of whom the whole family in Heaven and earth is named,
Eph 3:16 that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with might by His Spirit in the inner man;
Eph 3:17 that Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love,
Eph 3:18 may be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth and length and depth and height,
Eph 3:19 and to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge, that you might be filled with all the fullness of God.
Eph 3:20 Now to Him who is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us,
Eph 3:21 to Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, forever. Amen.

Regarding 'Greek influence:
No, all of what God reveals is in sync, not opposition. "The heavens declare the glory of God..." "...His...qualities are known by what has been made so that no man has excuse..."
Besides, you argue similarly on other points such that this isn't consistent theology from you. You present logical arguments as well.

As with AMR, I disagree. I AM is actualized. "I'm going to be/become" is potentiality.

Which of these is actually God's scripture revelation to us (rhetorical)?
Which of these is actually a philosophical assertion (rhetorical)?

I'll take my post from the other thread we have been engaged in to answer the track illustration.
.... time is not a thing in itself...
--Dave
Noun: person, place, thing, idea. Yup, time is a thing, an idea.
Is it a physical property? Insomuch as it measures, physical things, but no it is a logical concept of duration.
God's involvement with us means, logically, that he is in the same time and space reality as we are. God's invisibility does not mean he is "timeless and spaceless", his presence is simply not physical and visible. God acts and interacts sequentially, even though he does more than one thing at a time, any number of things he does will be followed by a number of other things, but not everything all at once.

In your example, if God moves the track that means time in God. He laid the track one way "before" we prayed and he moves the track in another direction "afterwards".

--Dave
God isn't in the same reality['only,' or to be thought of as constrained], He interacts with it, but isn't one of us.

1. <--------------------------------------------->
2 <-------------|-------------|---------------->

The first represents God's eternal being (no beginning/no end).
The second represents our finite beginning (a beginning with no end but
with measurable increments.
Note that only the second can be measured by any possible means, the first cannot: Because God has no beginning, there is no point in time you can start measuring His existence. All segments of His eternity are artificial (created) by logic and necessity. This, imo, proves that time is a product of creation specifically because it is impossibly to quantify or qualify His existence other than His specific interactions with the segments involved. They are artificial (created). Time is a segmented concept only possibly by our existence. What God does can be measured (our existence). It is impossibly to apply the same to His existence. Having no beginning, there is no place or point which can be measured because His existence goes both forward and backward from any point you'd wish to measure duration. If you acquiesce His eternal nonbeginning, this very statement means He is without time.

When/if we are involved in this discussion further, I'll simply refer back to this post. It is a sound proof that cannot be thwarted or escaped.

chatmaggot

Hall of Fame
Agreed, within His creation. Change within one's nature is not creativity, it is either a bettering or a worsening of oneself. God is perfect, He does not improve or get worse. See my conversation with Knight.

Why does change indicate imperfection? Can't that which is perfect change perfectly?

ghost

Hall of Fame

2 <------(God without a body)-------|-------------|-----(God with a body)----------->

Lon

Why does change indicate imperfection? Can't that which is perfect change perfectly?
Again, intrinsic vs. extrinsic change. Unless that is repeatedly made clear, it will continue to be a long long long rabbit trail.

ghost

Hall of Fame
This could have been set up better to get us further down the road a bit more quickly. You know I agree with you on this point already.
Then you agree that communication and math are eternal and uncreated.

zippy2006

The key word is "nature." Knight asked me the same thing here.

:e4e:

Lon

2 <------(God without a body)-------|-------------|-----(God with a body)----------->
Same as just above with Chat. We are simply talking about an extrinsic change here. I have no problem with that.
When we are looking at what 'time it is' when talking about my 'unchanging clock' I agree there is an extrinsic change. It is the same as when I say I am wearing a tan shirt today. It is a momentary thing but I'm still just me (no change).

ghost

Hall of Fame

2 <-----(God without angels, heavens, man)--------|-----|-------(God with angels, heavens, man--------->

ghost

Hall of Fame
Same as just above with Chat. We are simply talking about an extrinsic change here. I have no problem with that.
When we are looking at what 'time it is' when talking about my 'unchanging clock' I agree there is an extrinsic change. It is the same as when I say I am wearing a tan shirt today. It is a momentary thing but I'm still just me (no change).
Lon... think again. For God to be outside of time, the experiences would have to be the same for God outside of that which you designated that time is created. They are not.

ghost

Hall of Fame
I'll never know why you claim to be a Christian if you don't understand that God is eternal and nothing transcends that fact.
God is eternal. No one has said otherwise. Again, this conversation is well beyond your capacity to contribute. I suggest you remain quiet and learn

Lon

Then you agree that communication and math are eternal and uncreated.
If I make a clay mug, the materials were already there, the mug is new, but "yes," because whatever exists comes from an eternal God. Be careful here, you are setting up to destroy Enyart's 'new song' question, inadvertently, perhaps? Keep with the intrinsic/extrinsic idea and I think you'll do okay. Applying 'change' across board will cut the OV as well as any other view just as severely. Call one edge of that double-edge intrinsic, and the other extrinsic and we'll have a meaningful discussion.

sky.

BANNED
Banned
God is eternal. No one has said otherwise. Again, this conversation is well beyond your capacity to contribute. I suggest you remain quiet and learn

What learn from open theist's that deny God had an eternal plan from the beginning? No thanks.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
What learn from open theist that deny God had an eternal plan from the beginning? No thanks.
sky, it's clear you believe God has an eternal plan and I might even agree with that statement.

But here is the real question for you....

Was there a time before God created the eternal plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.