Proof from the Bible that God is In Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

sky.

BANNED
Banned
What does that mean?

Omniscience ( /ɒmˈnɪʃəns/;[1] omniscient point-of-view in writing) is the capacity to know everything infinitely, or at least everything that can be known about a character including thoughts, feelings, life and the universe, etc. In Latin, omnis means "all" and sciens means "knowing". Omniscience is the capacity to know everything.

Omniscience/Omniscient

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Yes it does mean "an infinite amount of time".

Eternal = Infinite = Timeless.
sky, I now see your confusion. When folks say "timeless" it doesn't mean there is no time. Instead it means that there is so much time that we are unable to "time" it (i.e., you can't measure it with a stopwatch because the time never ends).

For instance when a person uses the figure of speech... "that song is a timeless classic." What they are saying is that song will be a classic for all time, there will not be a time when that song is not a classic. All of time, not no time. You are thinking of the term "timeless" exactly opposite as to what it really means.

The entire point of eternity, is that you have an unlimited amount of TIME to exist. It's the very basis of what the concept of infinity is all about.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Bottom line. Open Theism denies God's all knowing, His Omniscience.
No it doesn't.

Instead, Open Theism properly defines "all knowing" in a biblical and consistent way. God knows everything knowable!

It's settled theism that strays from the Bible and roots itself in Greek philosophy in that God cannot change and has exhaustive foreknowledge. That's simply not a biblical concept.

God is free, He is not held captive by His own foreknowledge.

sky.

BANNED
Banned
No it doesn't.

Instead, Open Theism properly defines "all knowing" in a biblical and consistent way. God knows everything knowable!

It's settled theism that strays from the Bible and roots itself in Greek philosophy in that God cannot change and has exhaustive foreknowledge. That's simply not a biblical concept.

God is free, He is not held captive by His own foreknowledge.

Saying God only knows things that ARE knowable in essence is saying that God is bound in some way or restricted from being able to be all knowing.

ghost

Hall of Fame
Saying God only knows things that ARE knowable in essence is saying that God is bound in some way or restricted from being able to be all knowing.
Saying that God knows all things that will ever be, binds God from writing a new song making Him not omnipotent.

zippy2006

Saying that God knows all things that will ever be, binds God from writing a new song making Him not omnipotent.

Perfection is not a lack. You may as well say "Saying that God is perfect means that He cannot sin, thus making Him not omnipotent."

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
God knows everything He wants to know.

He isn't bound by Greek Philosophy.

You should use the Bible as your source for information, not dead theologians that worshiped Plato.

ghost

Hall of Fame
Perfection is not a lack. You may as well say "Saying that God is perfect means that He cannot sin, thus making Him not omnipotent."
Not true. There are things that God cannot do because they contradict His nature/character, but that is not the case when it comes to writing a new song. Your theory removes God's creative ability.

Lon

Doesn't eternity mean an infinite amount of time?

If not, eternity doesn't really mean anything. :idunno:
It means infinite. Amounts of time are the way things manifest but it is impossible to consider the infinite in a unidirectional sense. God has no beginning. Even if you can't wrap your head around that fact, at least understand it is at the very least: bi-directional. It is impossible that God only experiences unidirectional time sequence if you understand this one singular point. Anything less (unidirectional) and God ceases to be God and becomes a created being at least in conception about Him.

I must restate that again: Anything less than at least a bidirectional existence, and God ceases to be God. He is already outside of unidirectional sequence and existence whether such is apprehended logically. It is true regardless if it is understood. I can't make anybody understand this, but those who do know with certainty what I'm talking about get it. I can't prove 1+1 if somebody doesn't have the tools for apprehending that, and I don't fault them. Yes, you can believe wrongly if you aren't in possession of understanding this truth but it is absolutely true none-the-less. God must at the least be bi-durative else He is a created being as you and I. I wish I could explain what is so clear, to those of you who aren't grasping this. Basically, you are stuck in a time-ray rather than a time-line. A ray goes only one direction and has a 'starting point.' It is a must, there is no other way to interpret saying God can only exist in one-directional duration. A line goes two-ways at the same time. This is a basic math concept in Geometry and Algebra.

zippy2006

Not true. There are things that God cannot do because they contradict His nature/character, but that is not the case when it comes to writing a new song. Your theory removes God's creative ability.

It only does so from the temporal viewpoint that you force on God. God's "future creativity" is not limited because God transcends time.

Bob Enyart

Deceased
Staff member
Administrator
Time can be measured, but I don't think that God is limited to physical measurements. God is both in time and outside of time, both immanent and transcendent.

It is my understanding that matter, energy, space and time are all attributes of the physical universe; however, God is Spirit (John 4:24). If time is an attribute of the physical universe, and God is a Spirit, then God transcends time because God is not a physical Being.
Paulos, thanks for your comment. Can you please consider though that what you've posted contains the kinds of longstanding extra-biblical arguments that the Opening Post was written to rebut, but with biblical evidence. So it'd be great if you could address the biblical arguments in the OP.

Thanks!

-Bob Enyart

Lon

Paulos, thanks for your comment. Can you please consider though that what you've posted contains the kinds of longstanding extra-biblical arguments that the Opening Post was written to rebut, but with biblical evidence. So it'd be great if you could address the biblical arguments in the OP.

Thanks!

-Bob Enyart
Bob, this is really easy stuff as I explained just above.
Isa 43:10 You are My witnesses, says Jehovah, and My servant whom I have chosen; that you may know and believe Me, and understand that I am He. Before Me no God was formed, nor shall there be after Me.
Read it carefully, it uniquivocally states that God is at least bi-durational because as far back as "God can remember" there is no other God. If that past is truly past (make no difference whatsoever whether greeks believed this or not, it is mathematics conception), then we have a ray of time rather than a line and whether you realize it or not, you are assigning God a start-up date where He ceases to be God and becomes something created. It is impossible to assert God only experiences unidirectional duration and then say He always existed. These two statements are mutually exclusive.

Status
Not open for further replies.