Expelled? Go to the movies!

Lucky

Hall of Fame
Even a movie talking about how anti-evolution evidence is shot down is shot down. That's a pretty good sign Evolutionists like to shoot down other peoples ideas. :freak:

laughsoutloud

Chatmaggot writes
I have the original issues of American Spectator magazine chronicling the controversy between Baylor University and William Dembski. Are they in error also?
You brought up Dembeski in the context of his being punished for his ID views. That is what I responded to. That story is not in the movie.

I'd ask you that cut me a little slack here, as hard as it might be - you obviously hold my views in contempt - but I promise you I won't lie to you!

To show my good faith, I once more offer my words for your review:
You know what is interesting is that the movie leaves Dembski out of it. You'd think if it was such an open-and-shut case, they would have included it.
Notice that I said "they would have included it" not "they would have included him." I was referring to the controversy you referenced, not his role in the movie.

Have you read the Expelled Exposed site yet?

PKevman

A fellow believer has given my family a gift to go and see this movie this weekend. What a blessing and how kind! We're all looking forward to it!

:up:

SUTG

Even a movie talking about how anti-evolution evidence is shot down is shot down. That's a pretty good sign Evolutionists like to shoot down other peoples ideas. :freak:

I don't think the term "ideas" is warranted in this case.

laughsoutloud

Another perspective... when a movie that dishonestly distorts science and history to promote its (mistaken) agenda comes out, people who care should speak up. I really believe that this movie is wrong, and that it is damaging to the church and our nation. Given that, how can I keep silent?

GuySmiley

Another perspective... when a movie that dishonestly distorts science and history to promote its (mistaken) agenda comes out, people who care should speak up. I really believe that this movie is wrong, and that it is damaging to the church and our nation. Given that, how can I keep silent?
How many times have you seen it yet?

Jackson

Well, here is an example of a long-term controlled experiment on evolution:

Dr. Palsson has been running experiments in which E. coli must adapt to a diet of glycerol, an ingredient in soap. He found that within a few hundred generations, the bacteria could grow two to three times as fast as their ancestor. He then selected some of the evolved microbes and sequenced their genome. He compared their DNA with that of their common ancestor and pinpointed a few mutations that each line had acquired.
:nono:
Sorry, that's not evolution. They are still E. coli.

It states they simply adapted to a different diet and grew faster because of it.
I do that all the time. If I eat at McDonalds everyday I grow two or three times as fast as my wife who eats rabbit food ...er...I mean...salad.

Did the mutations that he pinpointed have anything to do with the adaptions or are they simply noted?

laughsoutloud

:nono:
Sorry, that's not evolution. They are still E. coli.

It states they simply adapted to a different diet and grew faster because of it.
I do that all the time. If I eat at McDonalds everyday I grow two or three times as fast as my wife who eats rabbit food ...er...I mean...salad.

Did the mutations that he pinpointed have anything to do with the adaptions or are they simply noted?
They adapted. Of course, not in a single lifetime (so not like your McDonalds analogy). Evolution works across generations, in small steps - not all at once, or within the lifetime of a single organism.

This would be like your distant progeny learning to live on the styro packaging from McDonald's, and becoming 18 feet tall. And yes, if you read the article, you'll note that they documented genetic changes in response to changes in the environment.

laughsoutloud

How many times have you seen it yet?
I have had to rely on reviews. Of course, you didn't witness any of the events of the bible - you are stuck with the accounts of others- but that is not a problem, is it?

And it is not like the ID arguments are not well rehearsed!

laughsoutloud

And this from Reasons To Believe: (from an email about the film)
After previewing the promotional materials provided by the movie's
marketers, we were concerned that the movie took an adversarial approach to
the scientific community. A number of RTB scholars and staff attended a
prerelease screening in Los Angeles recently and confirmed that EXPELLED
definitely does take such an approach. The movie draws an analogy between
the Berlin wall and the scientific community's response to intelligent
design. By doing so, EXPELLED implicitly argues that the scientific
community deems certain questions off-limits, particularly any question
about the legitimacy of neo-Darwinian evolution. The movie further argues
that academia, the media, and the courts all conspire as "thought police" to
oppress any and all dissent from the party line.

Clearly some oppression and discrimination have occurred, but the experience
of RTB scholars and many of their contacts refutes the movie's premise that
the scientific community systemically and unilaterally fosters these
injustices. While individual scientists and institutions have behaved
unfairly at times, this charge cannot in all fairness be leveled against the
scientific community as a whole.

Prolifeguyswife

Actually, the site mirrors the outline and claims of the movie. Expelled is, in fact, inaccurate and deceitful.

For example, the movie claims that Richard Sternberg was fired as editor, and his life ruined after he published a pro-ID article in the journal he edited. In fact, he had already resigned as editor (unrelated to the article), kept his job at NIH, and his Smithsonian unpaid position was renewed.

The site includes information dealing with creationism, because Expelled repeats lots of creationist propaganda. But don't take my word for it - read the site.

Wow, so you've already seen the movie? Sneak preview, or something? And you took the time to write down a part of the movie about Richard Sternberg so you could criticize it later...:think: Astonishing, really, that you would care so much. Or...wait. Silly me. You copied that from your anti-Expelled website, didn't you?

Your statement "don't take my word for it - read the site" isn't helpful. I read the site, and as I said - it was stupid propaganda. Why then would I rely on it for accurate information?

Here's Richard Sternberg's own website, with his own information about his troubles. I don't even really care if you look at it or not, as it's obvious that you're smearing the movie for no reason other than your personal bias against God and Creation science.

chatmaggot

Hall of Fame
No truth to be afraid of.

Like they say at Expelled Exposed, - "Flunked, not Expelled" Go see what Ben Stein is not telling you.

Oh, and Reasons to Believe... that's a creationist site, right? And they don't think Expelled is accurate. Go figure!

Not really. You need to educate yourself on the facts before making comments.

Hugh believes that "pre-historic" man predated Adam and that as a result of the non-existent Luciferian rebellion, the Earth was destroyed eaons ago and then re-formed.

He believes in evolution...but with a pinch of God added.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Oh, and Reasons to Believe... that's a creationist site, right? And they don't think Expelled is accurate. Go figure!

They do agree with Ben Stein that it should be allowed to question Darwinism. Why does the fact that they don't agree with Ben Stein on how life was created make that a problem?

Granite

Hall of Fame
I have a hunch the film will contain its own bias, which is inevitable, but also contain much truth, which is commendable.

To assume that everyone featured in the documentary was a perfect saint when they were canned, however, is really naive. Some of these people had it coming, from the sounds of it.

GuySmiley

I have had to rely on reviews. Of course, you didn't witness any of the events of the bible - you are stuck with the accounts of others- but that is not a problem, is it?

And it is not like the ID arguments are not well rehearsed!
I think you need a hot towell, what are you so scared of?

P8ntrDan

You might want to take a moment to prepare yourself with a little accurate information before you see the movie. Expelled is unfair, inaccurate and deceptive.

Check out this expelled site.

:rotfl: Can't you hear the whining tone in their voice as they say, 'It's all inaccurate, none of it's true.' I think they know they're beat and are just trying to throw together a pathetic last ditch effort to save a little dignity after aligning themselves to one of the stupidest theories man's ever invented.

laughsoutloud

Not really. You need to educate yourself on the facts before making comments.

Hugh believes that "pre-historic" man predated Adam and that as a result of the non-existent Luciferian rebellion, the Earth was destroyed eaons ago and then re-formed.

He believes in evolution...but with a pinch of God added.
Pre-Lucifer rebellion? Pre-Lucifer rebellion? Scientific evidence for a pre-Lucifer rebellion? Wow.

Well, in the absence of any evidence, and wildly creative bible reading, I guess you can reach any conclusion you want.