Problem logging in to TOL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem logging in to TOL

On multiple occasions recently, I've been unable to log in because on my first login attempt it tells me I've used the wrong name/password and I've used up all five attempts and must wait 15 minutes. I try again hours later, and the same thing. I've had one other person here tell me it's happened to them.

Anyone else experiencing this?
    [MENTION=12969]Sherman[/MENTION]

Tried and waited then got tired, that's about it

I did a few months ago.
    TRUST
    is a fragile thing.

Easy to break, Easy to lose
    and one of the hardest things to
    ever get back.

Comment

Originally posted by annabenedetti View Post
      On multiple occasions recently, I've been unable to log in because on my first login attempt it tells me I've used the wrong name/password and I've used up all five attempts and must wait 15 minutes. I try again hours later, and the same thing. I've had one other person here tell me it's happened to them.

Anyone else experiencing this?
      @Sherman
      I have not had this issue.
      [MENTION=595]Knight[/MENTION].

Comment

Originally posted by Sherman View Post
        @Knight.

Thanks for the response, I tried early this morning and around noon today, and got the message each time. I thought I'd try again this afternoon and this time it let me in.

Comment

Originally posted by Sherman View Post
          [MENTION=595]Knight[/MENTION].
          Maybe the issue I was telling you about the other day is related somehow?

Comment

I experience a lot of this. I'll get locked out for anywhere from a few hours to a few days. This last time was from the morning of the 26th to the evening of the 30th of June. I've had a few other lock out times like that but most have lasted only a few hours or maybe most of a day. All of them were from failed log in attempts, if the TOL software is to be believed, meaning that these are attempts to hack passwords and compromise accounts on TOL.
            “Liberty cannot be established without morality, nor morality without faith.”
            ― Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

“One and God make a majority.”
            ― Frederick Douglass

Comment

Since I first posted to this thread i have been locked out 4 or 5 times, cumulatively, for approximately 1 day. During the time I have been having this issue I have sent 4 emails about this issue to the Contact Us link at the bottom of the home page and sent Knight a PM about it giving him my IP address so that he could differentiate between my address and those who are attempting to hack my password. Not once have I been given even the small courtesy of a reply.

And the ownership of TOL wonders why the number of daily TOL users is shrinking? If users of this site who are actually those who drive traffic here are treated with that little respect what motivation is there to remain here? You think that is harsh? Imagine going to a business with a complaint about their service and they completely ignore you, their customer? Would you see that as respectful behavior towards you? Neither do I see ownership's behavior towards me as being the least bit respectful or courteous.

― Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by ffreeloader View Post
                Since I first posted to this thread i have been locked out 4 or 5 times, cumulatively, for approximately 1 day. During the time I have been having this issue I have sent 4 emails about this issue to the Contact Us link at the bottom of the home page and sent Knight a PM about it giving him my IP address so that he could differentiate between my address and those who are attempting to hack my password. Not once have I been given even the small courtesy of a reply.
                You realize that Knight has a life of his own, right? He's hardly ever on anymore, and he's said before that his personal life is the reason.

And the ownership of TOL wonders why the number of daily TOL users is shrinking? If users of this site who are actually those who drive traffic here are treated with that little respect what motivation is there to remain here? You think that is harsh? Imagine going to a business with a complaint about their service and they completely ignore you, their customer? Would you see that as respectful behavior towards you? Neither do I see ownership's behavior towards me as being the least bit respectful or courteous.
                I think you're overreacting.

Lack of a response to emails does not inherently imply that he is ignoring you.

But with the attitude you're giving off in this post, I wouldn't blame him if he were.

Chill mah dood. Do some troubleshooting to see if you can provide any more details about what's going on that might help him diagnose the issue instead of complaining about it.

Comment

Originally posted by JudgeRightly View Post
                  You realize that Knight has a life of his own, right? He's hardly ever on anymore, and he's said before that his personal life is the reason.

I think you're overreacting.

Lack of a response to emails does not inherently imply that he is ignoring you.

But with the attitude you're giving off in this post, I wouldn't blame him if he were.

Chill mah dood. Do some troubleshooting to see if you can provide any more details about what's going on that might help him diagnose the issue instead of complaining about it.
                  This has been going on for way more than a month now as I first reported this to them on 4/30/2019. That is way more than enough time for them to have given me some type of reply.

Just how happy would you be if you came here to post and stayed locked out for the most part of a week at a time, and that has happened several times to me, and the issue had been ongoing for more than 2 months?

And just how am I supposed to troubleshoot all this with zero access to system logs? I am completely at the mercy of ownership, and they display zero interest in having at least enough courtesy to take a minute or two to send me an email explaining what they have found or plan on trying to do to solve the problem. If you think that is a bad attitude on MY part, I don't know what to tell you.

― Frederick Douglass

Comment

This has been going on for way more than a month now as I first reported this to them on 4/30/2019. That is way more than enough time for them to have given me some type of reply.

Just how happy would you be if you came here to post and stayed locked out for the most part of a week at a time, and that has happened several times to me, and the issue had been ongoing for more than 2 months?

And just how am I supposed to troubleshoot all this with zero access to system logs? I am completely at the mercy of ownership, and they display zero interest in having at least enough courtesy to take a minute or two to send me an email explaining what they have found or plan on trying to do to solve the problem. If you think that is a bad attitude on MY part, I don't know what to tell you.
                    is your problem with one browser or multiple browsers ?

i have had firefox not work while M$ edge would

Comment

I tried earlier this morning and couldn't log in, but on the plus side, it's actually working out as a nice time governor, because I thought oh well, I have stuff to do anyway and went on with my day and got stuff done.

On the minus side, the site's not secure, and that's not a good thing. It's been neglected, and that's not a good thing. It's fading away and that's sad, but it happens. People move on.

Comment

Originally posted by JudgeRightly View Post
                        So maybe he should just go ahead and turn out the lights.

Comment

Originally posted by way 2 go View Post
                          is your problem with one browser or multiple browsers ?

i have had firefox not work while M$ edge would
                          The TOL server telling me I have attempted too many failed logins within a certain amount of time is NOT a browser issue. That is someone attempting to guess my password again and again and again until the site software locks them, and me, out of my account.

edit: You can verify this by giving an incorrect password until the site locks you out for 15 minutes. It will happen to you no matter what browser you use. I don't say what I've said out of a position of ignorance. I've administered websites, set up security, and examined security logs for failed log in attempts. And I have blocked multiple blocks of IP addresses, network subnets, to stop these types of account hacks. Whether or not it stops them altogether is related to the skill of the attacker in spoofing his IP address and/or having a network of compromised computers at his disposal located all around the world. That type of attack is really hard to stop. If that's what's going on here the least Knight could do is publicly talk about this and say what all they have tried to do. Silence is not an appropriate response.

― Frederick Douglass

Comment

The TOL server telling me I have attempted too many failed logins within a certain amount of time is NOT a browser issue.
                            Have you even bothered to try with a different browser/device?

That is someone attempting to guess my password again and again and again until the site software locks them, and me, out of my account.
                            So you say you can't look at the logs, but you're claiming that you know for a fact that someone is trying to hack your account?

Riiiiight....

Comment

hi its DarkAsylum i was unable to get on the forum any other way am sorry if i have broken rules but i tried to e mail but didnt hear and my email ididnt work as far as i know i cant remember the email i used to regestered as i hope its ok for me to now post this way sorry

Comment

Working...
                              X