This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name Warping and FIFY

Two practices that will now draw infractions for being disruptive.

1. Name Warping-- It is altering the name of a TOL member when you quote him or her. Examples would be turning
    Sherman into Sheerwoman or The Barbarian into The Blabian.

2. FIFY --Fixed it For you. It is the practice of altering a person's post in the quotes to change it's meaning. TOL members did this quite a bit.

In my early years here I have been guilty of both. I have discovered that large healthy websites have rules against Name Warping and FIFY. They are conversation killers.

Just don't do it. It does not help dialog when users do this.

Originally posted by Sherman View Post

1. Name Warping-- It is altering the name of a TOL member when you quote him or her.
    just when you quote them?

how about when you're just responding to them?

for example: http://theologyonline.com/showthread...=1#post5270159

Comment

In my early years here I have been guilty of both.
      in your early years and before, there was a huge amount of latitude as to allowable behavior

and the site thrived

I have discovered that large healthy websites have rules against Name Warping and FIFY.
      many large healthy websites have rules against speaking God's truth, as regards abortion, homosexuality, adultery, immorality ....

Comment

I have discovered that large healthy websites have rules against Name Warping and FIFY. They are conversation killers.
        In all honesty, what makes TOL special, in your opinion? If you were to go out into the wild and tell someone about this place, what would you say to make them come here and not one of the other 'healthy websites' you want TOL to be more like?
        “To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

― Theodore Roosevelt

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Comment

1. Name Warping-- It is altering the name of a TOL member when you quote him or her. Examples would be turning

2. FIFY --Fixed it For you. It is the practice of altering a person's post in the quotes to change it's meaning. TOL members did this quite a bit.

In my early years here I have been guilty of both. I have discovered that large healthy websites have rules against Name Warping and FIFY. They are conversation killers.

Your kidding right !

I've been called every name in the book by members in tol. Misrepresentations , slander , and the lastest , my personal name was posted on a thread . What's next , my address , pics of me in the shower ?

And you jump into action over name warping ?

Your level of moderating is almost unmeasurable .

Comment

TOL has turned into nothing but a mud pit. That isn't popular anymore. There was a time when mud pits had a draw, but most of them went by the wayside. I was a member of two others, Avatar Chat and Theorama. They are both gone. Mud flipping gets old.

This is a conservative website. Yes you can still speak the truth about important issues and Christianity. What won't be tolerated is trolling by the left and non-Christians. Warping peoples names and FIFY does not help with dialog.

Comment

TOL has turned into nothing but a mud pit. That isn't popular anymore. There was a time when mud pits had a draw, but most of them went by the wayside. I was a member of two others, Avatar Chat and Theorama. They are both gone. Mud flipping gets old.

This is a conservative website. Yes you can still speak the truth about important issues and Christianity. What won't be tolerated is trolling by the left and non-Christians. Warping peoples names and FIFY does not help with dialog.
              Excellent post.

Comment

Originally posted by WizardofOz View Post
                In all honesty, what makes TOL special, in your opinion? If you were to go out into the wild and tell someone about this place, what would you say to make them come here and not one of the other 'healthy websites' you want TOL to be more like?
                You need to adjust your attitude. Sherman said what needed to be said and posters like you need to heed what she says.

Comment

Originally posted by Grosnick Marowbe View Post
                  You need to adjust your attitude. Sherman said what needed to be said and posters like you need to heed what she says.
                  Attitude? What attitude? I asked a question. And, I certainly didn't ask you.

Wait, is that emoji still allowed? It could hurt someone's feelings.
                  “To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

― Theodore Roosevelt

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Comment

Great to know that name warping such as "Jinxed Russian" will no longer be allowed!
                    TRUST
                    is a fragile thing.

Easy to break, Easy to lose
                    and one of the hardest things to
                    ever get back.

Comment

Originally posted by WizardofOz View Post
                      Okay, I'll bite, most sites are middle of the road. TOL is a conservative site not tolerating racism or catering to conspiracy nonsense.

Comment

About the FIFY violations, I have two examples I would like you to comment on.

The first one has an unchanged quote followed by an extreme "in other words" rewrite of it.
                        Is this one not worthy of an infraction because it does provide the original quote unchanged?
                        Originally posted by The Barbarian View Post
                        If the people on death row are not actually being put to death, then that removes all the deterrent effect from having a death penalty.
                        In other words, you'd be willing to abridge the very appeals system that over a hundred innocent people used to stay alive long enough to prove their innocence. Again, I find that enthusiasm for taking innocent lives incomprehensible.
                        The second one does not show any actual quotes but has extreme rewrites of the prior conversation that completely changes the meaning of the posts that were not quoted.
                        Is this one worth an infraction because it is just another version of FIFY?
                        Originally posted by The Barbarian View Post
                        Genuine Original, continues to call for rapid executions, even after learning that over a hundred innocent people, wrongly condemned, used the appeals process to save themselves.

Barbarian observes:
                        In other words, you'd be willing to abridge the very appeals system that over a hundred innocent people used to stay alive long enough to prove their innocence. Again, I find that enthusiasm for taking innocent lives incomprehensible.

(G.O. doesn't like it.)

If you don't like it, don't advocate something that would have killed over a hundred innocent people.
                        Learn to read what is written.

_____
                        The people who are supposed to be experts and who claim to understand the science are precisely the people who are blind to the evidence.
                        ~ Dr Freeman Dyson

Comment

Originally posted by genuineoriginal View Post
                          About the FIFY violations, I have two examples I would like you to comment on.

The first one has an unchanged quote followed by an extreme "in other words" rewrite of it.
                          Is this one not worthy of an infraction because it does provide the original quote unchanged?

The second one does not show any actual quotes but has extreme rewrites of the prior conversation that completely changes the meaning of the posts that were not quoted.
                          Is this one worth an infraction because it is just another version of FIFY?

That is called dishonest dialog. He's reading something into your post that you never said. That fall under provoking other members. Barbarian will be taking some time off for that.

Comment

That is called dishonest dialog. He's reading something into your post that you never said. That fall under provoking other members. Barbarian will be taking some time off for that.
                            it's his stock in trade - I don't believe he can dialogue without doing that - he's been called on it dozens of times over the years - it's why he's earned the recognition as the most dishonest poster on the site

looks like the epic thread i started years ago to prove that has been lost to the ether

Comment

Well it looks like Barbarian's days here may be numbered if he doesn't start cleaning up his act.

Comment

Working...
                              X