• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

awwww

that's just mean

Comment

Originally posted by ok doser View Post
      VII brought me in - i'd been lurking before that, but VII floored me - I remember printing out pages of it at work and reading it in the can

whatever happened to Zak?
      His last post was in 2014, which is fairly recent compared to when Bob mopped the floor with him in their BR.

Comment

Originally posted by Sherman View Post
        The family members are the Christians leaning to the right that adhere to TOL's statement of faith. All others are guests to the party. Guests are expected to behave themselves in a respectful manner and not go dumping beer on the tables and smearing food around. Don't go playing your kind of music at a high volume. In other words hold down the polemic and the name calling. Don't flood the forum with thread after thread about how bad Trump is or Jesus is not God or the anti-trinity stuff. You can get kicked out of the party for a time or permanently if you don't behave as a guest.
        Right-wing Authoritarianism:
        Right-wing authoritarians want society and social interactions structured in ways that increase uniformity and minimize diversity. In order to achieve that, they tend to be in favour of social control, coercion and the use of group authority to place constraints on the behaviours of people such as political dissidents and ethnic minorities. These constraints might include restrictions on immigration, limits on free speech and association and laws regulating moral behaviour. It is the willingness to support or take action that leads to increased social uniformity that makes right-wing authoritarianism more than just a personal distaste for difference. Right-wing authoritarianism is characterized by obedience to authority, moral absolutism, racial and ethnic prejudice and intolerance and punitiveness towards dissidents and deviants.

So the "family members" are the elite right-wing Christians, and "all others" are kept in their place as "guests," even though these "guests" have been members for years, and in many cases, subscribed members who have supported TOL financially.

These out-group members, these "guests," are expected to behave better than the in-group right-wing Christians who control "the party" if these "guests" want to stay, yet the elite right-wing Christian "party" members can pretty much do and say whatever they want without fear of infractions.

Have fun at your "party." Don't be surprised when the punch goes flat.

Tried and waited then got tired, that's about it

Comment

Originally posted by annabenedetti View Post

if we run out of punch, we can always count on you to provide some whine

Comment

Originally posted by Sherman View Post
            I have been visiting as a guest on other Christian sites.
            There are other sites??!!

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
            Where is the evidence for a global flood?
            E≈mc2
            "the best maths don't need no stinkin' numbers"

"The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
            -Bob B.

Comment

Gay mountain bikers.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
              Where is the evidence for a global flood?
              E≈mc2
              "the best maths don't need no stinkin' numbers"

"The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
              -Bob B.

Comment

I'm quite willing to be as respectful to others as they've been to me in past encounters.
                Willing but not able apparently.

Comment

Right-wing Authoritarianism:
                  Right-wing authoritarians want society and social interactions structured in ways that increase uniformity and minimize diversity. In order to achieve that, they tend to be in favour of social control, coercion and the use of group authority to place constraints on the behaviours of people such as political dissidents and ethnic minorities. These constraints might include restrictions on immigration, limits on free speech and association and laws regulating moral behaviour. It is the willingness to support or take action that leads to increased social uniformity that makes right-wing authoritarianism more than just a personal distaste for difference. Right-wing authoritarianism is characterized by obedience to authority, moral absolutism, racial and ethnic prejudice and intolerance and punitiveness towards dissidents and deviants.

So the "family members" are the elite right-wing Christians, and "all others" are kept in their place as "guests," even though these "guests" have been members for years, and in many cases, subscribed members who have supported TOL financially.

These out-group members, these "guests," are expected to behave better than the in-group right-wing Christians who control "the party" if these "guests" want to stay, yet the elite right-wing Christian "party" members can pretty much do and say whatever they want without fear of infractions.

See how easily offended these guests can be?

Comment

Originally posted by Ask Mr. Religion View Post
                    Is that the new litmus test for behavior? Why not strive to rise above such a low bar?

AMR
                    Yep, and it's easier to be nice to people who don't consider themselves better than the rest of us. It's like, "Hey, if you don't like our plastic straws, go where they don't have them."

Comment

Originally posted by glorydaz View Post
                      Yep, and it's easier to be nice to people who don't consider themselves better than the rest of us. It's like, "Hey, if you don't like our plastic straws, go where they don't have them."
                      *cough cough* STARBUCKS *cough cough*

Comment

Originally posted by JudgeRightly View Post
                        *cough cough* STARBUCKS *cough cough*

Santa Barbara has made plastic straws a jailable offence.

As if any of those goodie-two-shoes would ever stoop to littering straws on the beach.

Comment

Originally posted by glorydaz View Post
                          Santa Barbara has made plastic straws a jailable offence.

As if any of those goodie-two-shoes would ever stoop to littering straws on the beach.
                          Establishing laws against things that the lawmaker never does makes the lawmakers feel good about themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by JudgeRightly View Post
                            Establishing laws against things that the lawmaker never does makes the lawmakers feel good about themselves.
                            Feeling good about themselves is what liberals live for.

Comment

Originally posted by Lon View Post
                              Sorry to disagree, but no, I think this is an opinion because the evidence, as far as I see it, does not, in fact lead to this being a truth
                              Forum traffic and posting is way down from previous years. Perhaps I am mistaken about the cause but there is no disputing the numbers.

So rather than over-asserting here, it is 'my opinion' that the facts would point to, sure, angered/annoyed 'guests' but happier members.
                              The evidence, imhO points that way.
                              The 'happier members' are posting less as well. And, there's fewer of them. If everyone on any given forum is in agreement, there isn't much to discuss.

Ever have better than simply member+ ?
                              Yup, sure have.

If not, it'd make sense why you don't often see it but it does happen, and imho, often. The bans are there for archival work. Get a subscription
                              Lon, you don't have a subscription.

Knight does actually 'like' his heretics!
                              I think he enjoyed the banter, debate and opportunity to truthsmack.

There is certainly some leeway with such, because the guy having the party gets to do his/her own guest list. There are a few I'd have bounced simply because they wear holes in the carpet with the same ol' same ol' (I think Knight likes well worn carpet ). We all have our favorites. Some of mine are permabanned so I think tolerance is about who has the mod reigns.
                              True. I guess I simply prefer the demeanor and judgement of past mods.

Politics, sports, and weather generally. I do enjoy some topics and sometimes a few goldies pass through unnoticed. It'd be awesome to get a few of them revived, like a 'revival' section if someone wanted to do archive work and dig them up/re-open them with some fresh blood. We were getting a lot of visitors after every Battle Royale but those take a LOT of work to set up.
                              Sure! Let's revive some.
                              “To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

― Theodore Roosevelt

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Comment

Originally posted by ok doser View Post
                                I had lurked here before VII, drawn in by bob's radio show

VII caused me to register, so I could print it

this was one of a couple usernames before koban - not sure i posted at all, whatever they were

i truly miss bob b - God rest his soul
                                Billy Bob? He was just a little too on the worldly side for me, like a guy who was raised in Christian surroundings, but not really internalizing any of it, to me
                                My New Years Resolution: 1 Peter 3:15
                                Omniscient without man's qualification. John 1:3 "Nothing"
                                Colossians 1:17 "Nothing" John 15:5 "Nothing"
                                Mighty, ALL mighty (omnipotent). Revelation 1:8
                                No possible limitation Isaiah 40:25 Joshua 24:15
                                Infinite (Omnipresent) Psalm 145:3 Hebrews 4:13

? Yep

Now to Him who is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think... Amen. -Ephesians 3:20 & 21

... when I became an adult, I set aside childish ways. Titus 3:10 Ephesians 4:29-32; 5:11

Separation of church and State is not atheism "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights..."

Comment

Working...
                                X