No announcement yet.

TOL upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is only one slight improvement - the site isn't as slow - but I still have the hung ghost report.

June is Gay Pride Month.Tolerance and diversity? ☞ More like tolerate perversity.☠

Comment

Posting is still horrifically slow.

June is Gay Pride Month.Tolerance and diversity? ☞ More like tolerate perversity.☠

Comment

Originally posted by Sherman View Post
        Posting is still horrifically slow.
        Yep, sure is. Looking into https://xenforo.com/
        WARNING: Graphic video here.

Comment

Originally posted by Jefferson View Post

Yep, sure is. Looking into https://xenforo.com/
          Going proprietary software is a mistake. Look for open source solutions as that will allow you freedom to change platforms, technology, etc.... as most open source software is built to open standards and the source code is available to you. Most proprietary software is not built to open standards which locks the customer into the manufacturer's technology and you're not allowed to rewrite the code.

It's like the difference between MS and Linux. With Linux you can change almost everything you use from file systems, to databases, to servers, to desktop environments, software solutions, etc.... If you have development skills you can modify every piece of software to your own liking as the source code is available to you. With MS you're stuck with whatever MS says you can have. You don't even own your own system. MS does. You just rent rent the software from them and they have full access to all your data. With Linux you actually own your computer and your data. You can store your data on the cloud if you choose with Linux, or store it on your own computer. With MS everything is now on the cloud. That's a huge privacy issue.
          “Liberty cannot be established without morality, nor morality without faith.”
          ― Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

“One and God make a majority.”
          ― Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by ffreeloader View Post
            Most proprietary software is not built to open standards which locks the customer into the manufacturer's technology and you're not allowed to rewrite the code.
            I don't know how to write code.

...If you have development skills...
            I don't.

Comment

I am not a code master either and I am very familiar with Zenforo

Comment

I am not a code master either and I am very familiar with Zenforo
                What is your impression of xenforo?

Comment

Originally posted by Jefferson View Post

What is your impression of xenforo?
                  1. It looks a lot better. There are a number of skins to choose from - even one to gets close to the look that the old TOL had with oblong avatars. I am member of two boards that use this type of set up. I am actually a member of several Zenforo boards and have seen a number of different skins used on this platform.

2. Members have the option of using Gravatar which frees up memory space on the forum itself and allows members who work off of cellphones to have an avatar.

3. Members can have a media gallery if this is enabled.

4. You can have a 'woodshed' again where subscribers can discuss bans and trolls, if that is what you want.

5. There is a option for a chatbox - the newer versions have a very attractive chatbox.

The bugs I have seen on some Xenforo boards were caused by the server and were older platforms that were not updated. One older board I am on has some issues because the site is so big and issues are caused by the server it is on.

Comment

I am member of two boards that use this type of set up. I am actually a member of several Zenforo boards and have seen a number of different skins used on this platform.
                    Can you provide links to a couple of your favorite xenforo boards? I'd especially like to see one that has a media gallery. Thanks.

Comment

Unfortunately you have to be logged in to the sites to view stuff like galleries on Zenforo. That is one of the security features of these sites.

One that a frequent as a Navy veteran that worked on aircraft ---> http://www.airwarriors.com/community/ This one has the round avatar format.

This one is a Christian site with the oblong avatar format ---> https://www.christianityboard.com/ I can't see the member profiles without being logged in. Same with this one --> https://www.christianforums.com/ But the avatars are even larger. The formatting of these two is the most like TOL used to be.

Then there Patrick Jane's board if any of you have seen it and you can see how he's set up the appearance of his site. That's Xenforo also.

Another advantage of this platform - it will be easier to clean up threads when they get messy instead of the just shutting them down.

Comment

Please help ! Why am I not able to post a reply in the message center ?
                        My soul thirsts for God, the God Who Lives Forever;
                        when shall I be brought in to see His Face? - Psalm 42:2

Comment

Unfortunately you have to be logged in to the sites to view stuff like galleries on Zenforo. That is one of the security features of these sites.

One that a frequent as a Navy veteran that worked on aircraft ---> http://www.airwarriors.com/community/ This one has the round avatar format.

This one is a Christian site with the oblong avatar format ---> https://www.christianityboard.com/ I can't see the member profiles without being logged in. Same with this one --> https://www.christianforums.com/ But the avatars are even larger. The formatting of these two is the most like TOL used to be.

Then there Patrick Jane's board if any of you have seen it and you can see how he's set up the appearance of his site. That's Xenforo also.

Another advantage of this platform - it will be easier to clean up threads when they get messy instead of the just shutting them down.
                          I would love to have access to TOL via the Tapatalk app again. Does that platform have the ability to be posted to through Tapatalk?

Comment

No. Tapatalk is going by the wayside. Fewer and fewer forums are using it.

Comment

No. Tapatalk is going by the wayside. Fewer and fewer forums are using it.
                              Ok, then how is the mobile experience on zenforo? Hopefully better than with vBulletin.

Comment

You can get onto Zenforo with mobile and it is better than this site. You don't need a special app for it either.

Comment

Working...
                                X