The use of words like "retard" and "moron" on TOL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JudgeRightly View Post

Don't forget Elijah, who mocked the prophets of Baal, and Baal himself.
    But isn't that more in line with Doser's use:

Originally posted by ok doser View Post
    I don't use those terms to be nice or mean. I use them to be clinically accurate. When I call somebody a moron I'm referring to their level of intellectual ability or disability. When I call somebody retarded, I am a referring to their lack of reasoning development, their intellectual development that stalled at the level of emotionality and never developed past that phase into what most non-retarded adults can manage which is logic and rationality.
    IOW, I can call someone a name and it isn't very accurate, so its a name, but didn't Jesus (and Doser here) use it rather as an accurate descriptor?

Originally posted by OZOS View Post
    I was taught name calling by Jesus and the apostle Paul
    Hello Sozo. Is it name-calling?

Webster's Dictionary
    Name-calling: the use of offensive names especially to win an argument or to induce rejection or condemnation (as of a person or project) without objective consideration of the facts
    American Heritage Dictionary
    Name-Calling: Verbal abuse; insulting language.
    n.
    Abusive or insulting language.

"You are of your father the devil, and you want to do the desires of your father. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth because there is no truth in him. Whenever he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own nature, for he is a liar and the father of lies." - Jesus
    Was it purposefully abusive and insulting, or rather consequentially so? There are people who have no control over their mouths (or typing). Such is not an accurate representation of the Lord Jesus Christ. He had complete control, not given to whims nor inaccurate statements. Point?

I think I'd have to call this something else and I definitely (me specifically) cannot say I learned 'name-calling' from the Savior or prophets, or Apostles. Not to say that is the only correct answer. I'd like input, thank you in advance. Rather, I learn 'assessment' and not to pull punches with any kind of softer language from these scriptures. Is that accurate to say? Are we on the same page? (any of you )
    “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites, because you travel around on sea and land to make one proselyte; and when he becomes one, you make him twice as much a son of hell as yourselves." - Jesus
    To me, 'woe' expresses genuine remorse over the fact that they are hypocrites and sons of hell.

"You brood of vipers, who warned you to flee from the wrath to come?" - Jesus
    Matthew 3:7 Luke 3:7 John the Baptist?

Originally posted by OZOS View Post
    "You serpents, you brood of vipers, how will you escape the sentence of hell?" - Jesus

"But Saul, who was also known as Paul, filled with the Holy Spirit, fixed his gaze on him, and said, “You who are full of all deceit and fraud, you son of the devil, you enemy of all righteousness, will you not cease to make crooked the straight ways of the Lord? Now, behold, the hand of the Lord is upon you, and you will be blind and not see the sun for a time.” And immediately a mist and a darkness fell upon him, and he went about seeking those who would lead him by the hand." - Paul
    In a sense, this is 'name-calling' for it is a name, but by definitions, I have to rethink whether it is purposefully insulting 'as abuse.' Help me out? How do believers err? On the side of careful assessment, or with all the power of 'abuse, insult, and purposeful offense?' If this, how do I reconcile it with being wise yet gentle or with a gentle answer directive from scripture? Galatians 6:1 2 Timothy 2:25 etc. ? Thanks.
    My New Years Resolution: 1 Peter 3:15
    Omniscient without man's qualification. John 1:3 "Nothing"
    Colossians 1:17 "Nothing" John 15:5 "Nothing"
    Mighty, ALL mighty (omnipotent). Revelation 1:8
    No possible limitation Isaiah 40:25 Joshua 24:15
    Infinite (Omnipresent) Psalm 145:3 Hebrews 4:13

? Yep

Now to Him who is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think... Amen. -Ephesians 3:20 & 21

... when I became an adult, I set aside childish ways. Titus 3:10 Ephesians 4:29-32; 5:11

Separation of church and State is not atheism "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights..."

Comment

• Originally posted by Lon View Post

Point?
      Calling someone a name without cause would be in error.

Example: If I called you a fool for claiming that believers are still under the Law, that would be justified.

Comment

• Originally posted by OZOS View Post

Calling someone a name without cause would be in error.

Example: If I called you a fool for claiming that believers are still under the Law, that would be justified.
        . Appreciate your answer. Thank you -Lon

? Yep

Now to Him who is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think... Amen. -Ephesians 3:20 & 21

... when I became an adult, I set aside childish ways. Titus 3:10 Ephesians 4:29-32; 5:11

Separation of church and State is not atheism "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights..."

Comment

• Originally posted by Lon View Post
          I know there is a God. You have never asked me why.
          That would be a great thread!

I Know There Is A God. Ask Me Why.

Comment

• Originally posted by ok doser View Post

That would be a great thread!

I Know There Is A God. Ask Me Why.
            Agree. Start one that we all can participate in?

Someone is answering my prayers very specifically. Either there is a God, or I'm magic! (I'm no magician). A skeptic will think 'coincidence.' Too specific and too prevalent to be dismissed by a simplistic mind.

Of course there are many other reasons, Jesus walking the earth is weighty enough etc.

? Yep

Comment

Working...
            X