No announcement yet.

New TOL interface

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Or they released it too soon before they worked out all the bugs.

June is Gay Pride Month.Tolerance and diversity? ☞ More like tolerate perversity.☠

Comment

Originally posted by Sherman View Post
      Every site that uses VB is having this issue. I am on another VB site and it also has these issues.
      I see!

I seem to remember you having said that once before and I had forgotten.

I guess there's nothing to do then except wait for the next update.

So, whenever they do the next update, do you think that you guys will have to go in do all this rebuilding of the site again?
      sigpic
      "The [open view] is an attempt to provide a more Biblically faithful, rationally coherent, and practically satisfying account of God and the divine-human relationship..." - Dr. John Sanders

Comment

I hope not. We didn't with the previous updates. VB really goofed this time.

June is Gay Pride Month.Tolerance and diversity? ☞ More like tolerate perversity.☠

Comment

There is a significant difference between updates (bug fixes etc.) and upgrades (i.e., a new version).
          All of my ancestors are human.
          Originally posted by Squeaky
          That explains why your an idiot.
          Originally posted by God's Truth
          Father figure, Son figure, and Holy Spirit figure.
          Col 2:9 (AKJV/PCE)
          (2:9) For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

1Tim 4:10 (AKJV/PCE)
          (4:10) For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.

Something that was SPOKEN OF since the world began CANNOT be the SAME thing as something KEPT SECRET since the world began.

Comment

I see we are all still screwed up.
            When will you guys put our TOL back the way it was?

Not spending a dime until then
            Religion is man's attempt to make himself acceptable to God. Christianity is God making man acceptable to Himself.

It is true that Trump does not fit modern Republican principles, but that is because modern Republican principles have strayed far from conservatism. genuineoriginal

Comment

Originally posted by Clete View Post
              So the site seems basically back to normal except that the notification screen should link you to specific posts that quote or mention you rather than linking to the thread. The way it is makes it easy to miss posts. I, for one, don't have time to read every single post in a thread and who wants to do that anyway and I shouldn't have to do a search for my name throughout the thread just to be sure I haven't overlooked a response from someone.

Also the reputation stuff isn't quite right yet. There's one or two little empty place holders under most everyone's avatar. Not that I really care about that stuff but I know some people enjoyed it and it looks wrong the way it is now.
              I agree with Clete that if you get a notification, there should be a single-click access to the post that caused the notification.

Comment

Originally posted by Derf View Post

I agree with Clete that if you get a notification, there should be a single-click access to the post that caused the notification.
                I would also be nice if there was a way to jump to the first new post in a thread since the last time you visited that thread. Simple stuff... I'm not sure why it's so hard. The old dial-up BBS systems back in the '80's had that for their forums.

(4:10) For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.

Something that was SPOKEN OF since the world began CANNOT be the SAME thing as something KEPT SECRET since the world began.

Comment

Originally posted by Right Divider View Post

I would also be nice if there was a way to jump to the first new post in a thread since the last time you visited that thread. Simple stuff... I'm not sure why it's so hard. The old dial-up BBS systems back in the '80's had that for their forums.
                  I think you should be nice anyway, RD.

I agree it shouldn't be hard. I don't have much experience with the code behind the scenes, but I would guess it's something that should have been a default and isn't.

I've managed to find most of the targets of the notifications by clicking the link in the notification, which takes me to the right thread, on the oldest page of the "Latest Activity" tab. If I change the page to "1", it takes me to the most current page of the latest activity, which works, as long as I catch it early enough, but not if I wait a couple hours or days, depending on how hot the thread is.

Next question:
                  Does anyone know what defines "latest activity"? Is it the thing I haven't read in the thread? or is there a date that defines latest--it should be something like "from the last 24 hours" or "from the last 7 days"? This seems like another default that is set to the worst thing ("forever"), as "latest activity" appears to contain all of the posts in the thread, but in the reverse order from "Posts" tab.

Finally, as long as tabs are used, it seems like they could define some tabs for things like:
                  "All of my posts"
                  "All posts that quote me"
                  "All posts that mention me"

And the tabs should be applicable to whatever level I'm on at the time (forums or in a thread), like the "Latest Activity" tab.

Comment

When I click on my user name in the far upper right corner of any TOL page and then click "My Recent Posts", the page it sends me to has a list of threads I've posted in but it certainly doesn't qualify as a list of my most recent posts by any definition.

Is there a place to go that would show me an actual list of my most recent posts?
                    sigpic
                    "The [open view] is an attempt to provide a more Biblically faithful, rationally coherent, and practically satisfying account of God and the divine-human relationship..." - Dr. John Sanders

Comment

• Originally posted by Clete View Post
                      When I click on my user name in the far upper right corner of any TOL page and then click "My Recent Posts", the page it sends me to has a list of threads I've posted in but it certainly doesn't qualify as a list of my most recent posts by any definition.

Is there a place to go that would show me an actual list of my most recent posts?
                      • Go to the search bar in the upper right and click the little down arrow next to the magnifying glass.
                      • Select 'Advanced search'
                      • Go to the 'Members' box and type your name.
                      • Click 'Search Now'

Comment

• Originally posted by Right Divider View Post
                        • Go to the search bar in the upper right and click the little down arrow next to the magnifying glass.
                        • Select 'Advanced search'
                        • Go to the 'Members' box and type your name.
                        • Click 'Search Now'
                        Clete Once you perform that search, you should be able to make a favorite with that search to always bring up that result. I'm planning on starting a whole folder of TOL favorites in my browser, if I can figure out how to do the different things I want to do.

Comment

• Originally posted by Derf View Post

Clete Once you perform that search, you should be able to make a favorite with that search to always bring up that result. I'm planning on starting a whole folder of TOL favorites in my browser, if I can figure out how to do the different things I want to do.
                          Clete Right Divider
                          Here's another tip. If you copy the link in those search results when clicking to go to a particular post, it will look something like this:

https://theologyonline.com/forum/the...tol-interface?p=2734738#post2734738

If you click on that link as is (not my highlighted one, since the highlight will cause it to not work), it will take you to the thread, but not to the post itself. If you delete the yellow highlighted part, it will take you to the actual post. You can see where the post number is doubled, but in different formats. Only the second one is useful ("#postXXXXXXX"), and the first one seems to confuse the system.

Comment

• Originally posted by Derf View Post

Clete Right Divider
                            Here's another tip. If you copy the link in those search results when clicking to go to a particular post, it will look something like this:

https://theologyonline.com/forum/the...tol-interface?p=2734738#post2734738

If you click on that link as is (not my highlighted one, since the highlight will cause it to not work), it will take you to the thread, but not to the post itself. If you delete the yellow highlighted part, it will take you to the actual post. You can see where the post number is doubled, but in different formats. Only the second one is useful ("#postXXXXXXX"), and the first one seems to confuse the system.
                            Nice!

That seems like an issue that should be easy for the programmers to fix.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Clete View Post
                              Nice!

That seems like an issue that should be easy for the programmers to fix.
                              One would think so. There's a different problem with the links from your notifications, however. I'm still looking at that.

Comment

• Looks like we have a lot more room to type our post to reply. It is great. Maybe a little too much room, but still, much better than the way it was. Good job to those working on making it easier and better to post here.
                                Oh how I love the Word of God!

Don't just hear the word and believe it---do it.

Comment

Working...
                                X