Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knight: who do you see in the National Championship game? Alabama vs. Notre Dame? Notre Dame vs Georgia? Oregon vs Ganzaga?

Originally posted by rainee View Post
    Oh, and you weren't assuming the position of self righteousness and criticism
    I didn't say anything about righteousness. That's a far harsher criticism than I leveled.

when you tried to get a poster banned after you threw him in the red??
    No. And I didn't throw him into the red, though I contributed to it. I believe one, but possibly two formal objections.

Maybe you were just feeling guilty and that is why you thought I was sounding like I had a superior attitude, hmmm?
    No. I don't feel the least remorse for objecting to a racist. If you think I should I'd suggest you have a problem. And I noted exactly what I thought about a rather inescapable inference on your part, as well as setting out how it could have easily been avoided. When someone says, "Real mature!" by way of parallel, they unavoidably infer that they are in a position to judge it.

Now you are just making fun of me.
    Nah, just demonstrating that punctuation does not an inquiry make, necessarily.

You are making tears come out of my eyes!!!
    I had no idea you were going to be that funny --ahhh
    Always glad to lighten a moment. But you see the problem.

You are the man of words, TH. We can't all be that good with them. But now that you posed the question - why not answer it?
    I have, I did. I gave a very sober call in my exiting Shelton's thread on the point.

Ok. I'm not a straight across anything either and I think several here are. Though I don't get how planks works in that sentence?
    As in party planks, or any formalized understanding on an issue.

Exactly. And yet you are not prejudiced.
    You keep using the word. I think bias is better. Prejudice tends to carry a racial connotation in popular usage.

There are a lot of problems with talking about race and I think we should do it.
    I'm all for discussing racism. I'm just not keen on entertaining racists.

Hmmm,
    but now I gotta go.
    We all have to sometime.
    You aren't what you eat, but you're always what you swallow.

Pro-Life

Comment

• Question about ads

I was reading someone's post about his iggy's when this ad came at the top of his page here on TOL:

Even if Google is paying for these advertisements, aren't there some controls on what you wish to allow on this website? I don't think we or rather you need money from these particular guys. Can you enlighten me?
      My New Years Resolution: 1 Peter 3:15
      Omniscient without man's qualification. John 1:3 "Nothing"
      Colossians 1:17 "Nothing" John 15:5 "Nothing"
      Mighty, ALL mighty (omnipotent). Revelation 1:8
      No possible limitation Isaiah 40:25 Joshua 24:15
      Infinite (Omnipresent) Psalm 145:3 Hebrews 4:13

? Yep

Now to Him who is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think... Amen. -Ephesians 3:20 & 21

... when I became an adult, I set aside childish ways. Titus 3:10 Ephesians 4:29-32; 5:11

Separation of church and State is not atheism "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights..."

Comment

• Originally posted by Lon View Post
        I was reading someone's post about his iggy's when this ad came at the top of his page here on TOL:

Even if Google is paying for these advertisements, aren't there some controls on what you wish to allow on this website? I don't think we or rather you need money from these particular guys. Can you enlighten me?
        Okay here we go again.

We do not control the ads that Google serves. And Google serves them based on these factors....

1. The browsing habits of the user
        2. The content on the page the ad is being served (likely the cause of that one)
        3. Seasonal or time specific
        4. Geographic
        5. General ad inventory

Can we block a certain offensive ad? Yes. As long as I have the domain (URL) from the ad.

So why don't I block these types of ads??? I do! But then another one comes alone that is new and people ask.... "Why don't you block these types of ads Knight????"
        Last edited by Knight; November 27th, 2012, 01:26 PM.
        Also be sure to.... Join TOL on Facebook | Follow TOL on Twitter
        TOL Newbies CLICK HERE or....upgrade your TOL today!

Comment

• Originally posted by Knight View Post
          Okay here we go again.

We do not control the ads that Google serves. And Google serves them based on these factors....

1. The browsing habits of the user
          2. The content on the page the ad is being served (likely the cause of that one)
          3. Seasonal or time specific
          4. Geographic
          5. General ad inventory

Can we block a certain offense ad? Yes. As long as I have the domain (URL) from the ad.

So why don't I block these types of ads??? I do! But then another one comes alone that is new and people ask.... "Why don't you block these types of ads Knight????"
          Sorry, yes I could have read through a bunch of posts as I certainly did suspect that it would have to have been asked. Do you have any ideas for prevention in the future? Maybe just a See Here perhaps?

Thanks for emulating our God in patients...er...patience I mean

? Yep

Now to Him who is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think... Amen. -Ephesians 3:20 & 21

... when I became an adult, I set aside childish ways. Titus 3:10 Ephesians 4:29-32; 5:11

Separation of church and State is not atheism "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights..."

Comment

Sorry, yes I could have read through a bunch of posts as I certainly did suspect that it would have to have been asked.
            Sorry I didn't mean to sound as if I was unloading on you.

Comment

• How's that Manning working out for you, by the way?

Pro-Life

Comment

• Originally posted by Town Heretic View Post
                How's that Manning working out for you, by the way?
                He's probably the best football player to ever wear a Bronco's uniform.

Comment

He's probably the best football player to ever wear a Bronco's uniform.
                  I nearly wept. Well, on a good day I think your Broncos can beat anyone, including those Pats. And I hope they do, but if it's this year that will have to rank as one of the all time come back stories.

Pro-Life

Comment

The original Ask Knight thread was started in 2004 and had 5,332 responses and 261,543 page views! Threads that get that large tend to be very slow to load and therefore not as convenient to use. So, I have started this new Ask Knight thread (named Ask Knight II) to pick up where the original left off.

What's the point of the Ask Knight thread? Well... it can be really frustrating sometimes when you ask people seemingly simple questions and get no response or receive a long drawn out response that isn't much more than pure obfuscation.

I always try to answer questions with simple direct answers.

After all... truth shouldn't have a complicated explanation.

Therefore I give you....

ASK KNIGHT!

Ask me anything you want and I promise to give you a short direct answer.

No *topic is "off limits". The openess of God, dispensationalism, conservativism, hockey, the inner-workings of TOL, whatever!!!

Example questions...
                    - Hey Knight why did you start TOL?
                    - Hey Knight why does God do bad things to good people?
                    - Hey Knight why do you believe God exists?
                    - Hey Knight, why are you so ugly?
                    - Etc. etc.

Ask away.... and get the answers you are seeking.

*topics that are are inappropriate for TOL are inappropriate for "Ask Knight" as well.

P.S. I will do my best to answer your question in a timely manner.

Hello Knight,

As you know I have written a book. It can be viewed at http://www.theapostlesdoctrine.com I was wondering if I could advertise this book on the TOL web site? If possible, what would be the cost?

Thanks, Robert Pate

Comment

Sorry I didn't mean to sound as if I was unloading on you.
                      Eh, if you did, such things do not transfere well in print.
                      I simply realized it had to have been asked but I was too lazy to go looking for 'where.'

? Yep

Comment

I dealt with the same situation at one of my own discussion sites. Ultimately, I ended up just passing on Google Adsense despite the nominal sums of income generated by the service.

The issue is one of time and effort. I spent way too much time trying to keep the ad's family safe, theologically neutral, etc., and it was basically akin to playing whack-a-mole, as Knight notes.

For those that do not use ad blockers, or are prevented from doing so by the site's management, offensive ads can still be blocked. To block them requires access to the offensive ad's actual link. You can obtain that by carefully examining the ad with a right click, hovering, or using the small triangle that appears on some AdSense ads. Clicking on the ad to determine its source is not helping as it only ads to one's ad-tracking preferences and you end up seeing more of the same even on other web sites. At my site I even got into trouble with Google by clicking on these ads until I learned how to determine the ad's link by other means.

So once you determine the ad's link, copy the link and pass it along to the site's administrator. The admin must then access their Google AdSense control panel and enter the offending link. So it takes time and on large sites with many ad location templates, this means lots of time.

I don't know how easy it is to set up ad-free accounts with VBulletin, but this is one option site admins can consider. Ad-free accounts would certainly come with a fee for it to be worthwhile in offsetting the monies generated by AdSense.

AMR
                        Embedded links in my posts or in my sig below are included for a reason. Tolle Lege.

Do you confess?
                        Founder, Reformed Theology Institute
                        AMR's Randomata Blog
                        β€” Learn Reformed Doctrine
                        I fear explanations explanatory of things explained.
                        Christian, catholic, Calvinist, confessional, Presbyterian (PCA).
                        Lex orandi, lex credenda: everyone is a Calvinist on their knees.
                        The best TOL Social Group: here.
                        If your username appears in blue and you have over 500 posts:
                        Why?

Comment

• Hello Knight,

I lost our conversation.

I was wondering if it would be possible to do a trial ad for 2 months for $100.00?

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Pate View Post
                            Hello Knight,

I lost our conversation.

I was wondering if it would be possible to do a trial ad for 2 months for $100.00?
                            I will PM you.

Comment

• Thanks Knight and AMR

? Yep

Comment

• Knight - what are the guidelines for thread tagging? I appreciated the humor involved in clever tags even if some involved name-calling. What is considered OK when it comes to tags?

There may have been a thread on this when tagging first became available. If so, please shove my face in it.

Thanks!
                                β€œTo announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

― Theodore Roosevelt

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Comment

Working...
                                X