Hello

Lucian Hodoboc

Hello!

I was told that I have to post an introduction thread. My name is Lucian, I'm an Eastern-Orthodox Christian and I decided to join this community in order to engage in interesting conversations about theology... and maybe make some new friends, who knows? Heh.

I'll make sure to get acquainted with the community rules before diving into the discussion threads.

:cheers:

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Hello!

I was told that I have to post an introduction thread. My name is Lucian, I'm an Eastern-Orthodox Christian and I decided to join this community in order to engage in interesting conversations about theology... and maybe make some new friends, who knows? Heh.

I'll make sure to get acquainted with the community rules before diving into the discussion threads.

Rules? There are rules? :noid:

Welcome. :wave:

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Hello!

Lucian,

I noticed some of your messages at other places on the net that you have gone through depression and suicidal thoughts such as not wanting to wake up from sleep so you don't have to face another day of misery.
Is this something you still struggle with?

Aimiel

You merely need to filter your thoughts. You have been given instructions for exactly how this filter should be designed:

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

Most things that someone who's depressed aren't true, pure, lovely, virtuous, praiseworthy and certainly not OF A GOOD REPORT. Use the filter and you'll think on things that you're supposed to think on, joining millions of Christians who are optimistic. I was severely depressed and when my uncle told me to use this verse to build a filter for my thought-life: my life was changed dramatically. :thumb:

:aimiel:

Lucian Hodoboc

You didn't answer her question. Are you being evasive? On this forum that's usually the surest sign of a troll.

Yes, I do struggle with mental issues such as obsessive-compulsive disorder, episodes of depression and panic attacks that come and go. But my physical health issues are the ones that seems to be causing me the greatest deal of trouble lately.

I avoided your question because it was rather personal and unrelated to the thread. If I wanted to talk about my personal health problems, I would have started a thread about them. :) I found your reply a little intimidating; that's all.

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
How're you doing.

Do you have thoughts on what's happening /happened with Russia and Ukraine and Constantinople? I don't know what to make of this. Is this considered a schism among Orthodox, that's what it looks like to me as an admitted outsider, so I'm curious your take. :) And what is the practical consequence for Christians who are Russian, Ukrainian, and Constantinopolitan Orthodox? Will they not be welcome to receive Communion in each other's parishes anymore? Do you have any experience with this type of thing?

I'm theologically convinced Catholic, but bodily am only currently "on the way to full communion," as I am not Catholic. I am working to convert, but am in no hurry, in some ways. So, I receive both Holy Catholic and Holy Orthodox bishops as fully valid priests of the Mass, but I believe in Petrine supremacy, that should have been visible all throughout history, and the papacy is that thing, so I identify it as Peter's actual Roman pastorate (for others: he also had an Antiochian pastorate; both Antioch and Rome are Petrine Sees; there is a supreme bishop in the Antiochian Orthodox Church who is also the Successor of "Sweet Saint Peter," in many ways, just as the "Pope," is the supreme bishop among all the Catholic bishops), confirmed by the Apostle Paul's joint (within a year of each other, if not at the same time---if they were not killed together, then Peter was the first one martyred, not Paul) pastorate together in Rome, for multiple years, to be the supreme pastorate of the whole Church, and so that pastorate should be supreme among all the other bishops in some way, so it should not only be titular. I don't begrudge any Christians their own theological convictions.

I want to see the whole entire Church reunited again, and the Orthodox are imo, the most important people in the best case scenario, so far as I can tell. And the best case scenario looks daunting when you look at it from certain angles, but my view is that there are other valid angles from which to view the thing (our one faith, Eph4:5KJV), and that all valid angles are weighty, in the analysis of our faith in Christ.

Idolater

Also Lucian Hodoboc, if each Apostolic See were represented by their patriarchs, I would still want Peter's Successor given primacy in some real sense. I don't believe that his two pastorates are of equal gifts, I believe that his Roman pastorate is the supreme one, and my only real evidence that supports that belief, is that that is how the Church treated Peter's Roman pastorate for centuries, up until around the time that Islam began, or shortly thereafter. But more importantly than that is that Paul died in Rome too, so that's the city where his Apostolic See is located, along with Peter's Roman pastorate, which to me just gives Apostolic weight to the papacy's interpretation of my idea of Petrine supremacy; wrt pastorates (authentic Church offices), and not individuals.

I also can't find where the 'filioque' conflicts with Scripture, so I don't have a problem with the clause being Apostolically authenticated as Christian, when Eastern (now Orthdox) bishops say that 'filioque' is not a part of their Apostolic oral tradition, but the Pope said that it is part of his Apostolic oral tradition, and so if you believe the Pope's Apostolic oral tradition might be of marginally higher quality and purity than the oral traditions of all the other Apostles, then this is justified.

And the fact remains that all this is above my ken, if all the Church's valid bishops, both Catholic and Orthodox, can't figure out how to reunite, then what am I, as a non-Catholic layman, supposed to do? In the absence of clear instruction, I believe I am supposed to do my best, and that's what I'm doing, all the time.

Idolater

What did happen with Russia and Ukraine and Constantinople?
I don't really know. Here is a sentence concerning the matter from today's Wikipedia article for the Russian Orthodox Church:
Wikipedia 2 February 2019 said:
Since 15 October 2018, the ROC (Russian Orthodox Church) is not in communion with the Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople, having unilaterally severed ties in reaction to the establishment of the Orthodox Church of Ukraine, which was finalised by the Ecumenical Patriarchate on 5 January 2019.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Orthodox_Church
Which Orthodox are you?