Hello, Fundies! :)

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Why argue with people on the internet at all?

Because it is an accessible means by which to test one's ideas. When I arrived at TOL I had numerous views that were not founded in reality or reason. The people here helped immensely in shaving those off.

genuineoriginal

I came in search of discussion with fundamentalists. There are fundies on every Christian forum, yes, but the population is dilute with those who accept evolution, the big bang etc., etc... I'm looking for "Six days is six days!" and "God stretched the light from Andromeda to Earth" hardcore, unapologetic fundamentalists with which to exchange dialogue.
Pick a topic you want to discuss and start a thread in the Religion forum.

2003cobra

Hi guys!

I was referred here by Alpha, from AF.org. (It took me a while, but I'm finally here.)

I am a nonbeliever. I am a member of several Christian forums and an atheist forum. I came in search of discussion with fundamentalists. There are fundies on every Christian forum, yes, but the population is dilute with those who accept evolution, the big bang etc., etc... I'm looking for "Six days is six days!" and "God stretched the light from Andromeda to Earth" hardcore, unapologetic fundamentalists with which to exchange dialogue.

You'll find that I'm super respectful of others' beliefs, and (if I do happen to offend) I'm receptive to criticism on that account. I came here to discuss things--not to feel superior to anyone or score "in your face" points.

I've read and appreciate much of the Bible, and I find the Gospels (particularly the Sermon on the Mount) morally compelling. Anyway, there's plenty of time to discuss these things elsewhere in the forums. See you in the threads!

Vulcan

I used to be a six-day fundamentalist. Then I read the Bible and realized that it specifically contradicts that position.

Have you noticed that there are two creation stories with different orders, methods, and time periods of creation? They also have different conclusions.

The first is Genesis 1.1-2.4a, which has:
Order — plants, animals, man and woman
Method - God told the earth to bring forth plants and animals
Time period — six days
Conclusion — man is to rule over and be the steward of nature

The second begins in Genesis 2.4b, which has:
Order — man, plants, animals, and woman
Method - God formed with His hands
Time period — one day
Conclusion — man is be dedicated to his wife, as she is the perfect partner designed by God

The fact that there are two radically different creation stories in the first two chapters of Genesis is proof from the Bible that we are not to take these stories as literal history.

Fundamentalists rarely read the second creation story, and if they do, they ignore what it actually says.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I used to be a six-day fundamentalist. Then I read the Bible and realized that it specifically contradicts that position.Have you noticed that there are two creation stories with different orders, methods, and time periods of creation? They also have different conclusions.The first is Genesis 1.1-2.4a, which has:Order — plants, animals, man and womanMethod - God told the earth to bring forth plants and animalsTime period — six daysConclusion — man is to rule over and be the steward of natureThe second begins in Genesis 2.4b, which has:Order — man, plants, animals, and womanMethod - God formed with His handsTime period — one dayConclusion — man is be dedicated to his wife, as she is the perfect partner designed by GodThe fact that there are two radically different creation stories in the first two chapters of Genesis is proof from the Bible that we are not to take these stories as literal history. Fundamentalists rarely read the second creation story, and if they do, they ignore what it actually says.

:darwinsm:

:mock: Darwinists.

genuineoriginal

I used to be a six-day fundamentalist. Then I read the Bible and realized that it specifically contradicts that position.

Have you noticed that there are two creation stories with different orders, methods, and time periods of creation? They also have different conclusions.

Time period — six days

Time period — one day
Conclusion — man is be dedicated to his wife, as she is the perfect partner designed by God

The fact that there are two radically different creation stories in the first two chapters of Genesis is proof from the Bible that we are not to take these stories as literal history.

Fundamentalists rarely read the second creation story, and if they do, they ignore what it actually says.

You are mistaken, there is only one creation story and you don't know how to read very well if you think there are two.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Time period — six days

Time period — one day

Which one was the ancestor of Cain, Abel, and Seth?
And who were the descendants of the other guy GOD created?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
They are not meant to be taken as literal history.
So you are just saying that GOD created two imaginary men that never existed.
You're loony and you need to stop telling folks that you know anything about the bible, because you don't.

2003cobra

So you are just saying that GOD created two imaginary men that never existed.
You're loony and you need to stop telling folks that you know anything about the bible, because you don't.

No. Why would you make up such falsehoods?

The first creation story is there for a purpose. Its moral is that man is the guardian and steward of nature:

God blessed them, and God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth and subdue it; and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the air and over every living thing that moves upon the earth.” 29 God said, “See, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree with seed in its fruit; you shall have them for food. 30 And to every beast of the earth, and to every bird of the air, and to everything that creeps on the earth, everything that has the breath of life, I have given every green plant for food.” And it was so. 31 God saw everything that he had made, and indeed, it was very good. And there was evening and there was morning, the sixth day.

The second creation story is there for a purpose. Its moral is that man is to be faithful and dedicated to his wife:

Therefore a man leaves his father and his mother and clings to his wife, and they become one flesh.

The first is about man’s relationship to the earth. The second is about man’s relationship to his wife.

There was not a literal good Samaritan who travelled the road to Jericho and rescued the beaten man. Jesus did not say “this is a story.” He said:

“A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell into the hands of robbers, who stripped him, beat him, and went away, leaving him half dead. 31 Now by chance a priest was going down that road; and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side. 32 So likewise a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. 33 But a Samaritan while traveling came near him; and when he saw him, he was moved with pity. 34 He went to him and bandaged his wounds, having poured oil and wine on them. Then he put him on his own animal, brought him to an inn, and took care of him. 35 The next day he took out two denarii, gave them to the innkeeper, and said, ‘Take care of him; and when I come back, I will repay you whatever more you spend.’ 36 Which of these three, do you think, was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of the robbers?” 37 He said, “The one who showed him mercy.” Jesus said to him, “Go and do likewise.”

If you declare the first creation story is literal history, then you contradict the second creation story. The two stories have different orders and methods of creation.

If you fall into the error of “if it doesn’t say it’s a story, then it’s literal history,” then you have forced an erroneous interpretation method onto a text that is incompatible with your interpretation method.

Feel free to deny what the text says, if you can justify that in your mind, but an honest reading of the early chapters of Genesis rebukes your position.