My first post...

anonymousTruth

Hello all from phoenix, Arizona USA.

I am a former Christian. Grew up in the reformed church and remained a believer until mid-twenties.

I was hoping I could gain some new perspective on some questions I have about the faith.

I know what my answers were when I was a Christian but now I am curious what some other answers from different believers might be.

1) Why are you a Christian?
2) Do you believe the Bible is infallible? If so, Why?

jsanford108

I am a former Christian. Grew up in the reformed church and remained a believer until mid-twenties.

I was hoping I could gain some new perspective on some questions I have about the faith.

I know what my answers were when I was a Christian but now I am curious what some other answers from different believers might be.

Welcome to TOL.

As a heads up, there is a variety of users here. There are crazies, people who claims God speaks to them, stubborn people who can't be swayed by logic, and people who seem to have conversations with themselves alone. But there are also many good users. Many who are interested in good discussion, intellectuals who enjoy conversation. So, don't let the few nuts ruin the snickers.

As for your questions;
1.) I am a Christian because I believe all that Christ taught and did is true.

2.) the Bible, as a historical text, is the single most accurate archaic text. Internal and external evidence points to it being compared closest to events it describes, with accuracy, than any other archaic historical text.

As for being infallible, that goes to the simple question, posed by Christ, Himself. "Who do you say that I am?" If you believe all that He said and did, then it logically progresses to the Scripture being infallible. If you don't believe those things, then....you just don't.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I am a Christian because God ordained it to be so from eternity from His own good counsel and not due to any foreseen merit on my part. Accordingly, the notion of "former Christian" is but a sad way to say one has never been a Christian at all, merely a professor of what he or she did not possess. No one gets themselves saved (Rom. 3:11); no one gets themselves lost (Eze. 36:26; John 6:39), for it is God who is working in those that He has set His preferences upon (Eph. 2:10) such that they will persevere to the end and their glory.

The faithful believer affirms that God is not the author of confusion, thus, when the truths of the full counsel of Scripture are known and proper interpretations are applied, Scripture is the sole rule of our walk of faith, for Scripture is completely true in all that it asserts or affirms, including matters of doctrine, morality, social, life, or physical sciences. God said it, I believe it. That settles it. (Psalm 12:6; Prov. 30:5; Matthew 5:18; 2 Tim. 3:16-17)

Welcome to TOL.

AMR

George Affleck

TOL Subscriber

Hi aT. Welcome to TOL.

If I may ask...
You say you are a former Christian which, if true, means that you have come to the place of turning your back on Jesus and the Bible and moving forward in a new and different direction; specifically unbelief.

What is it about the Christian faith that impressed you so much that, having embraced unbelief, you want to open the door of belief again and have a peek inside? As a "former" Christian you shouldn't care about "the faith" at all.

To answer your questions:
I am a Christian because I asked God to declare Himself to me in a way that I could not misunderstand; and He did.
I believe that the Bible is God's infallible Word to fallen man because His spirit now speaks to my regenerated spirit that it is so. The words I used to read were dry and lifeless. The words that I now read have the unmistakable imprint of Spirit/Truth on them and are alive to all generations.

Faith is a gift. Ask for it and you will receive it.

2003cobra

My first post.

To answer your questions:
1) I am a Christian because I chose to follow Jesus Christ.
2) I don’t believe the Bible is infallible, and I note that it never claims to be.

To expand:
It is nice to hear that you, a former Christian, are still interested. If you left Christianity because someone told you that the Bible was infallible and you discovered that it was not, it may help to know that belief in the infallibility of scripture is not a requirement of following Jesus.