new oldie

1Way

+OL remote satellite affiliate
Sorry for the delay 1Way. Do you have actual drawings or sketches of your engine design?

From my first post.
I taught myself 3D design (SolidWorks) just to animate the design and show it off to others. Unfortunately, soon after I did that, I (rudely) lost my place of residence.
I do not have ready access to my pc, but I am hoping my mom will come (1.75hr drive, she's 70ish) to pick me up and help me recover and store my pc, my guitar and amp, and perhaps a few other things of value.

On my pc I have drawings, diagrams, 3D models, and even full animations of the engine working. So I suppose the answer to your question is yes and a no. It's on my pc, but I don't have direct access with my pc. I can diagram it, even in freehand, but the real value in understanding how it works, is watching an animation of it working.

But, what is the real question? I mean, if I had them with me, I don't think that I could keep them safe via living at an emergency shelter. I am working on 1)finding more stable/permanent living arrangements and 2)getting my pc back. Hope this helps convey what your wondering about.

I will not share the design here or elsewhere, especially not without the other party signing standard property rights agreement. The design is my exclusive ticket to my once in a lifetime opportunity, and I will not jeopardize that trade secret. Dispite sometimes thick family disfunctional dynamics, I have a sufficiently trusting relationship with my family, so I did show at length the design to my cousin.

Patent search update, I have checked google patent search, I have checked online patent search (sorry, I forget the exact name, but it is real good) and I have checked the USA patent and copyright website, and so far I have not found anything that matches my design. BTW, it’s amazing how many engine inventions were first patented like in the 19th century, and some are really cool too.

1Way

Since you are from before my time I'll say "hello" and welcome back.

Thanks for the welcome Dena, much appreciated. It's a mixed blessing having the oportunity of a life time when you have little means to do much with it. Sort of like living with so much pain, all you can do is deal with it one moment/day at a time.

Last edited:

1Way

Anyone good with fabricating prototypes? My somewhat local machinist connection seems too negative and pessimistic, even somewhat defeatists, and all that even before having a decent understanding of what my project design is. So I feel the need to search for a better way to create my prototypes. He’s talking about 20-50 thousand dollars and over 400 hours shop time, which I think is waaay too much for what I want to do.

I don’t know much about rapid prototyping, but I’m hoping for something like that to help me get the job done without significant cash investment. If I limit it to compressed air, I’m thinking that I can use composites and plastics which may lower prototype costs. Any suggestions?

1Way

The Berean (or knowledgeable interested types).

My project needs help getting off the ground. It seems that the typical machine shop is not for me, way too expensive. However I strongly feel that my design can be carefully built via readily available parts that are carefully cut, modified and fit together. The entire project could be built using mostly parts or sections of pipes!

So I guess I'll be looking for a fabricator with expertise with engine/motor/pump making. I'm mostly concerned about things like
-pressurized main bearings and seals
-appropriate gear tooth and mesh type
-best material for steam (and or compressed air) powered.

I would not be surprised if it becomes known as the most efficient engine/motor/pump that is also extremely durable and lacking vibration, and is very alternative energy friendly. It also has a very wide rpm range that according to my gleaning from GAST air pump literature, would tend to eliminate the need for a transmission having a fairly linear torque curve following input pressure changes. I.E. more torque/power with more air pressure.

But I need to create a prototype in order to make concrete claims about the engine's performance. This project could be huge, but it will remain only an idea until something helps this project moving into reality. --sincere homeless inventor

keypurr

Welcome back 1 Way. You sound very excited about your project. I hope your dream will come true for you.
God Bless

1Way

I can wait that long. :D

Would it be possible to get parts for a prototype made overseas and shipped to you?

On second thought, perhaps there could be a way.

I could protect the design by simply not ordering all the parts from the same place. Let me know what your thinking.

I'd like to "fabricate" these parts out of metal tube/pipe that suitably handles steam temp and pressure. I suppose steel or stainless steel should work good, but I'm open to suggestions. As to part size, I'd guess something on the order of 6" long x 3" x 3".

The Berean (special request, please consider the following)

Before parts could be made, I need some help for what kind of gears to use (type of tooth shape, angle of the gear cut, etc). I would also like help with what sort of pressure seals to use, and if that can be incorporated in the shaft bearings. Should I consider using magnetic levitating bearings for this project?

1Way

If it is financially viable to make a part here and ship it there, then I'm willing to do some legwork to get it done.

Right on Stripe, sounds good. I'll get back with you in a few weeks, kinda too busy currently, but I think this might work out. However I need to discuss some gearing theory and pressure sealing driveshafts before submitting for build.

Maybe our engineering guy can lend me a hand here. Looking for help sealing a pressurized engine driveshaft, as well as picking out the right kind of gearing, as in the right tooth shape and the right meshing as well. I think it's pretty standard requirements tho.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Right on Stripe, sounds good. I'll get back with you in a few weeks, kinda too busy currently, but I think this might work out. However I need to discuss some gearing theory and pressure sealing driveshafts before submitting for build.

Maybe our engineering guy can lend me a hand here. Looking for help sealing a pressurized engine driveshaft, as well as picking out the right kind of gearing, as in the right tooth shape and the right meshing as well. I think it's pretty standard requirements tho.

:up:

Let me know.

1Way

I'm back. Sorry everyone for being gone so long. It's been a somewhat arduous journey on the way to getting federal disability, and even presently looking to buy a home on very limited budget.

However, I am hoping to build the prototype after I buy a house, if the house doesn't soak all the money up.

1Way

... The house soaked up all the money...

This is sad because I am confident the design is good, it will work. Just remains to be seen how well it will work after prototype is built.

peace

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Interesting concept, your engine that is, have you built a working model yet? or is this all still in the concept phase? If you have built a model what material is it made of and how much testing have you done? Just curiosity questions...Turbines & turbo pumps are basis of all rocket engines and the research into these things is quite extensive this is why I am asking.