I'm a newbie!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacGyver

Hello to all!

I think this forum looks very interesting, but I'm a bit confused on one of the rules. Something like "Thou shalt not be intentionally blasphemous." Well, I'm an atheist, and if debating I'll have no choice but to be blasphemous against at least one religion. In fact, my very existence is blasphemous to religion. So...could you clear that up for me please? =P

P.S. If you're the one who gave me a piece of paper with this site's link on it at the end of philosophy class today, then hey! It's me =P

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Hello to all!

Welcome to the forum, MacGyver!

I think this forum looks very interesting, but I'm a bit confused on one of the rules. Something like "Thou shalt not be intentionally blasphemous." Well, I'm an atheist, and if debating I'll have no choice but to be blasphemous against at least one religion. In fact, my very existence is blasphemous to religion. So...could you clear that up for me please? =P

Well, being that I am a non Christian and have been in this forum for close to two years and NEVER been banned for blasphemy, I can guarantee you it is possible for nonbelievers, including Atheist, to debate without blasphemy.

Basic rule, IF you are purposefully saying something provocative that you know might be seen as blasphemy, you also know this is a Christian forum and it's not acceptable.

It really is possible to challenge someone else's belief without purposefully breaking a rule that you know would offend any and ALL Christians on this site.

keypurr

Hello to all!

P.S. If you're the one who gave me a piece of paper with this site's link on it at the end of philosophy class today, then hey! It's me =P

Welcome friend. All you have to do here is agree with me all the time and you will get along just fine. Just kidding, give us your thoughts and we will disect them with you.

allsmiles

Hello to all!

:wave2:

Howdy Mac. I'm allsmiles, resident anti-christ and chief proponent of the Jesus Myth argument. I see you noticed that I'm a legend :Nineveh:

I also have my own smiley :allsmile:

I have been banned for blasphemy. It's avoidable but sometimes I just can't help myself :chuckle:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hello to all!

Welcome to the forum. :up: We have lots of atheists here on TOL and they get along just fine.

The thing to keep in mind is that we are a Christian forum and therefore there is a line we don't cross.

When folks come on here merely to cause trouble and say things like "Jesus was gay", or similar things it's just a waste of everyone's time.

So....
As long as you are respectful to Christianity I'm sure you will get a long just fine here. If you have come just to bash Christianity you wont last long.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Hello to all!

Welcome! Bring a helmet.

Sometimes the call is incredibly subjective, but so long as you're honestly not trying to be provocative or grossly outrageous for its own sake, you should be fine 90% of the time. Enjoy your stay.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Hello to all!
Blasphemy! Will somebody please ban this noob? :D

Yes, your very breath is a blasphemy and you'll shortly find yourself with your nose pressed against the glass, looking in. :plain:

Okay, okay...by way of example: it's one thing to ask how a Christian reconciles alleged atrocities of the OT with his understanding of Christianity or God. It's another thing to see how many negative, insulting tags you can stick to God before a mod comes along and seal clubs you.

That sort of thing.

If you wonder if you're getting close to that line you probably are and should find a less volatile way of expressing yourself. There isn't a single objection you can make to Christian principle or teaching that can't be made civilly.

Best of luck to you. :e4e:

MacGyver

Can you make a nuclear bomb from a paper clip & the soles of your shoes?
If you have a gum wrapper you can spare.

Where do you take philosophy classes?
Not in Taiwan =P

As long as you are respectful to Christianity I'm sure you will get a long just fine here. If you have come just to bash Christianity you wont last long.
Ok, that makes sense. Yeah, I'm here for intellectual discussion, not to simply cause trouble. I may cause trouble if I say "God doesn't exist" but that's a lot different, as you pointed out, than "Jesus is gay."

Thanks to everyone who welcomed me here and to everyone who clarified the 3rd commandment! :D

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
:wave2:

Howdy Mac. I'm allsmiles, resident anti-christ and chief proponent of the Jesus Myth argument. I see you noticed that I'm a legend :Nineveh:

I also have my own smiley :allsmile:

I have been banned for blasphemy. It's avoidable but sometimes I just can't help myself :chuckle:
yah, a legend as a cuckoo bird.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Well hello there!

I'm glad to see you decided to check out TOL :)

If you do a search you will see that one of TOL's "specialties" is freewill vs determinism :D You will have a much broader audience and response time here than during class :) Anyway, welcome to TOL, I hope you enjoy your stay :)

Hey! Does this mean I can get another atheist's response to chapter questions? :chuckle:

Status
Not open for further replies.