The NEW-UPDATED 10 TOL Commandments

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
For some of you who have read my lengthy posts:

I know that some of my posts are rather lingthy. Am I creating posts that are too long? Do I need to modify how I post these things?
I don't think so.
Only a small amount of your posts are long to establish a foundation, but your followup posts are not long.

I have a question about the eighth command.... what do you mean by redirect? Is it acceptable to tell a member about another site you visit?

I'm new and curious, I don't want to break any, so I thought it best to ask.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
That would be spam. I don't even link people to other forums I frequent.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I have a question about the eighth command.... what do you mean by redirect? Is it acceptable to tell a member about another site you visit?

I'm new and curious, I don't want to break any, so I thought it best to ask.
I would say that you could speak about being on another site, and what went on there with you, without specifying what site it was.

Linking to other sites is just bad manners. It makes it appear you are drumming up business for another site.

And if anyone is interested in what site you are talking about, they can PM you to get the link if they want it.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Please do not post in ALL CAPS or in all bolded text.
Please do not make posts that are extremely long.
These may not be top ten, but they are common, as cigarettes are more common the heroin, yet cigarettes are the bigger problem because it is common.

I would say that you could speak about being on another site, and what went on there with you, without specifying what site it was.

Linking to other sites is just bad manners. It makes it appear you are drumming up business for another site.

And if anyone is interested in what site you are talking about, they can PM you to get the link if they want it.

I wasn't talking about linking anything and I certainly would not want to drum up business for them, but someone there suggested this site and that seemed to conflict with the eighth.

So basically, any talk of other fora is frowned upon here... its always good to know. I don't want to ruffle any feathers needlessly. I never realized that it would be considered bad manners.

The thing is I'm looking for a new place to spend time discussing the Holy Bible. I have used other sites and the way people rip into each other is not the way I prefer to discuss the Bible. At the moment I am bouncing around a few places to see which shoe fits the best.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
links allowed for educational purposes (not spamming purposes)

links allowed for educational purposes (not spamming purposes)

That would be spam. I don't even link people to other forums I frequent.

I've discussed this with Knight before via PMs. It is expressly against protocol to link to other discussion forums/boards....but one can post pertinent links that relate to whatever subject one is discussing or debating over, as a 'source-link', which also contains the full article one has shared excerpts from. I do it rather frequently when I feel its helpful....being 'educational' to the discussion. Of course links to informative articles or educational resources related to religious discussions are NOT SPAM.

pj

C

caribou

"TOL is entering it's 12th year. The following rules are the most current commandments for our forum. Follow these rules and you will be a happy camper here on TOL. Break these rules and you will likely be banned. Keep in mind TOL is a biased forum, leaning very far to the Christian right, and therefore we interpret our rules from OUR perspective. There are many dissenting voices on TOL who have been debating us and fellowshipping with us for years, but those voices understand whose house party they are at and are respectful of that.
"

I like :up:

8. Thou SHALL NOT attempt to redirect members to another forum, website, or blog. (Profile and signature links may be allowed with administrator approval.) Using our PM system to redirect members to other forums or websites is also a bannable offense.

Does creating a thread with a link to a YouTube video relevant to the intended area of discussion count as breaking this rule, or more significantly, creating a thread that discusses a unique point of view originating from such a linked-to source? (If this is unlawful, what are the other options?)

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Does creating a thread with a link to a YouTube video relevant to the intended area of discussion count as breaking this rule, or more significantly, creating a thread that discusses a unique point of view originating from such a linked-to source? (If this is unlawful, what are the other options?)
Here's the thing.... if you are providing a link (YouTube) or otherwise and it helps support the topic you are starting it will likely be fine.

However, if the intent is to merely grab TOL traffic and send it elsewhere that is something we frown upon.

In regard to YouTube, you can embed YouTube videos in your posts so that's the best option since it doesn't send people off TOL.

Thankful

Does a Far Right Christian, believe the Christian Bible is the written Word of God?

Then does a Far Right Christian live God’s Word? Live God’s Word as it says in the following verses?

(Matthew 5:43-44) “You have learnt how it was said, you must love your neighbor and hate your enemy, but I say this to you: love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.”

(Matthew 5:39) “You have learnt how it was said: ‘Eye for eye and tooth for tooth.’ But I say this to you: offer the wicked man no resistance.”

(Matthew 6:19) “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal.

(Matthew 5:48) “Even the pagans do as much, do they not? You must therefore be perfect just as your heavenly Father is perfect.”

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
the 'righteous'.......

the 'righteous'.......

What does Far Right Christian mean?

Depends on who you ask, but 'right' and 'left' have their own meanings within different political/religious contexts. 'Far right' may connote 'orthodoxy',....meaning they hold the fundamentalist conservative end of principles, assuming a 'right, proper, true' position. Some may exaggerate that 'rightness' ;):):p

pj

PaganSunday

Appropriately identifying the wicked is not only allowed but encouraged. Again, TOL is a right-wing Christian forum and therefore our bias is not hidden.

lol... I've come to the right place. i got banned from whywontgodhealamputees.com, a website created by very wicked, evil people. They couldnt handle the truth.

Christian Liberty

Does posting a video that happens to contain a swearword qualifiy as posting "profane video" if swearing is not the focus of the video and if the language used is "PG?"

musterion

Knight,

Forgive me if I overlooked it but can you clarify your policy on posting only links to other websites in order to reply to threads? That is, when the substance of a member's reply consists of nothing more than links?