Theology Club: Does Open Theism Question/dispute the Omniscience of God

Derf

d.? God told Hezekiah he would die. We both (I assume) agree Hezekiah, at the time of the message was indeed going to die.
Your "d." is a restatement of "b. Open theism"

You may well ask why God would say something, already knowing the outcome and already knowing with certainty in omniscience, Hezekiah's response and request. This is an assumption, however. That is, it 'looks' like a lie from your standpoint because it is the only way you can entertain the idea. This, however, is not how I, as a Calvinist, understand the passage. Rather, I believe God goes through events with us AND interacts with us to appropriate the outcome He desires. Feel manipulated? Love does exactly this. It isn't trying to harm another, it is trying to 'help' another. Hezekiah NEEDED God's help and intervention. Hezekiah was not seeking God and thus his life choices came with consequences. God, in grace, interacted with Hezekiah. Why do it? Why DID God interact with Hezekiah? To affect a change, yes? In God? :nono: In Hezekiah. This, in a nutshell is the problem I have with Open Theism. It assumes God needs to change, not Hezekiah. A 'changing' God is not by any necessity a relational God, and seems to me, the opposite. I rather appreciate a God who knows what He is doing and is in control at all times rather than having any comfort whatsoever in a God who is on a whim. Moreover, scripture (to me) seems to agree with me on many occasions: Matthew 5:48 Galatians 6:3 Jeremiah 1:4,5 Psalm 139:15-16
Are you saying that a change in the future is NOT a change in God? I'm good with that. That's open theism.

The "whim" thing is a red herring. I've never said God acts on a whim--just the opposite: God acts toward us according to how we act toward Him, at least in some cases. Jer 18.

Truth unfolds with circumstance.
Not to God, unless He's an open theist. :)

There is no 'lie' to tell someone that something is going to happen. I tell my wife: "That pot is going to boil over." The pot does not boil over. Did I lie? :nono: My interaction was necessary for the pot to not boil over and it surely would have.
Good example. There were two possible outcomes that were mutually exclusive. One that the pot would boil over and one that it would not. Thus, the first statement was the truth contingent on NOT following your warning. And the other was contingent on following your warning. This is exactly the way the Hezekiah thing should be read. And is exactly what open theism is saying.

That's four consecutive statements that conform with open theism. Welcome aboard, Lon!

Don't believe me? Let's look at what I'm seeing from your Open Theist view of Hezekiah: You believe God didn't do the best thing and that intervention was needed else God would have done something 'not good' prior to Hezekiah's request. To me? Not a reasonable expectation and it indeed puts man in the driver-seat far too often in other scripture interpretation as well.
Why would you say God "didn't" (maybe you meant "wasn't going to") do the best thing? My point is that the best thing at the beginning of the story was for Hezekiah to die of the illness. The "best thing" changed when Hez called out to God. Thus at any point in time in the story, the best thing was going to happen, even if Hez didn't think so.

I'm squeamish about applying this "best thing" theology to other events, though. I still think it's true, but it isn't quite so apparent to me, even on the outside of the story, as it is in Hezekiah's case. Torture and abuse of children can't ever be the "best thing", can it. I have to resignedly say "yes", but with God mourning the sin. But that tells me God is wanting the greater purpose of having people that will submit to Him in love than just forcing us to submit by killing us all or by puppetizing us.

:nono: Rather it is a time-constrained truth. Barring intervention, Hezekiah would indeed have died.
Yes, indeed. But God's knowledge is NOT time-constrained. So God is giving Hezekiah TWO futures. There can't be TWO settled futures, only one. So if God tells Hez that his future is A, then tells him his future is B, and A and B are mutually exclusive, you are faced with the dilemma--did God know and tell a lie (God lies)? Or did God not know and guess (God's not omniscient)? Or did God know and it changed (open theism)? You seem to gravitate to this one when you say "time-constrained truth". (5 consecutive??)

One primary point of a settled theist's reliance on God is that God KNOWS the future, and it comforts him. Of what comfort is it, then, that God knows the future but doesn't tell us the truth about it?

Another instance is 1 Samuel 23:12. David was never turned over to Saul. God's truth was conditional. The same is true with Hezekiah. Follow my reasoning for a second: If Hezekiah would not have asked God for extended life, would he have died? "Yes" I assume. Then how could it possibly have been a lie?
A previous Calvinist pastor of mine said with great conviction, "God doesn't deal in conditionals." I learned much from this man and respect him greatly, but he was wrong in this. Here's the rub: God can't deal in conditionals when telling us a settled future. Sure, we can't see the outcome, but HE DOES (in settled theism). If, in His knowledge, He tells us a false future, then He has lied to us. If, in His knowledge, He tells us wrongly what the future is, He is not omniscient.

Side note: in the Calvinist view, He ordains a particular outcome, and no other, from before the world was created; else, His ordination is of no use--ordaining "everything", even things that don't happen, is just like saying He ordains nothing.

Such is rather Open Theism reasoning and imho, always a false if/then statement. A 'lie' is assumed and thus is its own confirmation, in the Open Theist mind, that the outcome is therefore supportive of an Open Theism premise. :nono: I disagree.
I'm not assuming a lie. I'm assuming God knew the truth and told HEzekiah. When the truth changed, my assumption is that that particular "truth" was changeable. And when that truth was about the future, that means the future was changeable. Ergo, open theism.

It is like a self-fulfilling prophecy, it is confirmation bias. Do we all do it? Yes, to a degree because only God is and can actuate any truth. You and I are incapable of actuating or substantiating any truth. Why? Because it is a forced position and can only be done by the One who can change minds rather than His own.
I think you, and AMR since he still seems to be following the thread, conveniently go between the big picture and the little picture, as it suits your position.

1. God determines what happens ("actuates the truth")
2. God wasn't the cause of Hezekiah's impending death (God wasn't actuating that particular truth).

1. God ordains based only on His own purposes
2. God sees that we will sin and therefore ordains it.

These 1s and 2s are opposing statements.

I don't want to be harsh with this, as I'm not settled on some things, and hope I never get so settled in my theology that I can't discover where I'm wrong.

Thank you for asking, also.

Conversely, I find a good half or so of Open Theists that are respectful and truly interested in looking at orthodox answers and having their own ideas scrutinized and challenged. I appreciate having my theology ironed as well.
I think, though I don't keep track of all the threads here at TOL, that TOL has reformed a bit toward the positive side with the loss of some folks to the other site. Not so many drive-by posters. Continuing the back and forth is instructive and unifying.

Reactions: Lon

Lon

Um, wasn't Hezekiah one of the more righteous kings before this encounter with God, and then become wicked after?

:up: Yes. Because consequences followed, he was to die. Grace is telling someone his/her number is up so they can do something about it, right? Do you agree the 'change of mind' and heart is Hezekiah's? (appreciate your input too, ty)

Lon

Your "d." is a restatement of "b. Open theism"

Are you saying that a change in the future is NOT a change in God? I'm good with that. That's open theism.
Sometimes the topic is beyond the denominational walls :up:
The "whim" thing is a red herring. I've never said God acts on a whim--just the opposite: God acts toward us according to how we act toward Him, at least in some cases. Jer 18.
Well, the red-herring is a bit more than that. Logically, whether one sees it or another doesn't, if the topic comes up, it is important (I think) to ask why one thinks 'whim' is on the discussion table. In this case, we are talking about a God who is HIGHLY intelligent. To change the mind of a being well beyond us in honesty, love, righteousness, grace, and mercy (to name a few), why WOULD you want to change His mind? Doesn't it, in fact demand that someone at some point is 'more empathetic' (like Moses intervening on Israel's behalf), or more merciful (like Abraham begging for 10 righteous in Sodom). Please entertain the thought with me: It 'looks' like Open Theists trade a highly intelligent, God of Love and mercy for one who isn't some of the time and it takes man to 'change His mind.' To me? That's scary! Flat-out! I don't know if the tone is carried like I want it here, but I want to ensure I convey some weight to this supposed strawman-red herring. I want to at least get it treated with some weight and appreciative value. You 'can' dismiss it as 'not this Open Theist' but it is a very real concern that many traditional theists honestly assess/believe about Open Theism.

Not to God, unless He's an open theist. :)
Too blanketed. You can ask why it is a Calvinist truth, but you are thinking about truth as if it cannot be expressed in a moment. Let me try this: "The sun is up." Sometimes this is true in your neck of the woods, but it is always true on the earth somewhere. Therefore it isn't necessary to see the change in God. It is ALWAYS (imho) man and his perceptions that 1) experience the change and 2) actually the ones who need the change.
The whole world, not just we traditional theists, believe perfection cannot change lest it stops being in a perfect state. A move from perfection to perfection IS a movement but it is not a change (hard to explain this but if need be, I'll take some time and room here).
Good example. There were two possible outcomes that were mutually exclusive. One that the pot would boil over and one that it would not. Thus, the first statement was the truth contingent on NOT following your warning. And the other was contingent on following your warning. This is exactly the way the Hezekiah thing should be read. And is exactly what open theism is saying.
Yes, but again, "I" the initiator of that conversation, didn't change my mind. I interacted, my wife made a choice. If I had started it boiling, you might consider that 'I wanted the pot to boil over' if I left it. Some 'logical' conclusions are okay for estimation, but they aren't the story. Theology is tough because sometimes we think such is a necessity. We don't, in fact know, we are just using the best of what God has given us to try and grasp truth. There are times we have to lift such up as our best estimation.
That's four consecutive statements that conform with open theism. Welcome aboard, Lon!
I really don't care about labels too much EXCEPT for wanting 'biblical' to apply. For me, the story of Job is the story of four theologians. The first? "Curse God and die!" Another two, good ideas, and in fact I've thought like them at times in my life. They 'seemed' like good theologians to me :noway: And Job. In the end? Even righteous Job, none like him, had some things wrong. To me? Fear and trembling as I wrestle over theology scriptures.
Why would you say God "didn't" (maybe you meant "wasn't going to") do the best thing? My point is that the best thing at the beginning of the story was for Hezekiah to die of the illness. The "best thing" changed when Hez called out to God. Thus at any point in time in the story, the best thing was going to happen, even if Hez didn't think so.

I'm squeamish about applying this "best thing" theology to other events, though. I still think it's true, but it isn't quite so apparent to me, even on the outside of the story, as it is in Hezekiah's case. Torture and abuse of children can't ever be the "best thing", can it. I have to resignedly say "yes", but with God mourning the sin. But that tells me God is wanting the greater purpose of having people that will submit to Him in love than just forcing us to submit by killing us all or by puppetizing us.
Which is why, even with some hard-headed Open Theists, I think they have good hearts and good intention in wrestling with the scriptures. Like Job and his friends, two of them weren't 'great' theologians (like I'd sometimes thought reading Job growing up, and I STILL want to quote them sometimes), and yet, Job wasn't that great either. In the end, it left only God and hopefully, the rest malleable by His hand. I read about Jacob wrestling with God then limping for the rest of his life having engaged in the venture. Sometimes, it seems to me, the Open View greatly wrestles with God where angels and I fear to tread. Yes God is relational, but He disciplines those He loves.

Yes, indeed. But God's knowledge is NOT time-constrained. So God is giving Hezekiah TWO futures. There can't be TWO settled futures, only one. So if God tells Hez that his future is A, then tells him his future is B, and A and B are mutually exclusive, you are faced with the dilemma--did God know and tell a lie (God lies)? Or did God not know and guess (God's not omniscient)? Or did God know and it changed (open theism)? You seem to gravitate to this one when you say "time-constrained truth". (5 consecutive??)
Well, like the sun example, I can also say, as I am typing this, it is 10:27 PM. This IS a time constrained truth. It 'was' true.
One primary point of a settled theist's reliance on God is that God KNOWS the future, and it comforts him. Of what comfort is it, then, that God knows the future but doesn't tell us the truth about it?
All parents don't tell kids EVERYTHING. They hold back and for all the good and right reasons. "Because I said so" didn't look 'loving' to me growing up. I try a bit differently with my kids, but I CERTAINLY don't tell them "because just now, your grandpa is dying in the hospital." WE have to grow and learn and be made and molded in HIS image. We do not meet God on 'mutual' ground. Isaiah 55:9
A previous Calvinist pastor of mine said with great conviction, "God doesn't deal in conditionals." I learned much from this man and respect him greatly, but he was wrong in this.
Blanket statements are difficult, but I'd argue his statement is right but a bit too broadly stated as is your unequivocal 'wrong' (imho).

Here's the rub: God can't deal in conditionals when telling us a settled future. Sure, we can't see the outcome, but HE DOES (in settled theism). If, in His knowledge, He tells us a false future, then He has lied to us. If, in His knowledge, He tells us wrongly what the future is, He is not omniscient.
Well, for me, it is about accuracy of statement. For God, there is no conditional/unsettled. I've heard Open Theists argue the same: "God is a master chess player and nothing takes Him by surprise." The emphasis is the same. Without being patronizing, I could turn it around and say 'you open theists sound like traditional theists.' I think that's a good thing. We start speaking of the same theology desires which should often happen with men and women who love the Lord, yet theologically disagree.

Side note: in the Calvinist view, He ordains a particular outcome, and no other, from before the world was created; else, His ordination is of no use--ordaining "everything", even things that don't happen, is just like saying He ordains nothing.
Honestly, the Open Theist has no corner on the market at this point: It is the same point. What DOES give me comfort from a Calvinist viewpoint is that my fellow Calvinists embrace often, that "God is all-knowing, I am not."

I'm not assuming a lie. I'm assuming God knew the truth and told HEzekiah. When the truth changed, my assumption is that that particular "truth" was changeable. And when that truth was about the future, that means the future was changeable. Ergo, open theism.
Well, you are assuming it 'of' the Calvinist rather. You can clarify a bit, but that is the assumption you wrote as one of your options AND ascribed to Calvinism. It needs a bit of clarification and discussion.

I think you, and AMR since he still seems to be following the thread, conveniently go between the big picture and the little picture, as it suits your position.
More out of necessity. I freely admit, as intelligent or lacking that I am, I am nowhere near the thoughts of God, just the revelation He has made clear.
These 1s and 2s are opposing statements.
1. God determines what happens ("actuates the truth")
2. God wasn't the cause of Hezekiah's impending death (God wasn't actuating that particular truth).
It is important, for me, to differentiate between God's decretive and prescriptive will. Prescriptive may very well seem to indicate 'open theism' and that's fine when it comes to common ground, but we have to also understand and appreciate where we depart. For me, it is clear that God does not want sin in His world YET He allows it for some reason. What reason? :idunno: To me, like the Open Theist, I can speculate, but I've really no idea. I do know, fact, that this passage explains it, vaguely: Matthew 13:24-43 Somehow, the wheat that is precious too Him, would be damaged. That, to me, isn't Open Theism: It is God doing something the ONLY way it CAN be done.
1. God ordains based only on His own purposes
2. God sees that we will sin and therefore ordains it.
As with above, we do know there is harm that can come to God's own, if not dealt with precisely. When you see atrocity, God doesn't want that. It ONLY happens as necessity of working carefully to bringing in the full number.

I don't want to be harsh with this, as I'm not settled on some things, and hope I never get so settled in my theology that I can't discover where I'm wrong.

I think, though I don't keep track of all the threads here at TOL, that TOL has reformed a bit toward the positive side with the loss of some folks to the other site. Not so many drive-by posters. Continuing the back and forth is instructive and unifying.
:up: Thank you for your discussion and thoughtful responses. -Lon

Rosenritter

The whole world, not just we traditional theists, believe perfection cannot change lest it stops being in a perfect state. A move from perfection to perfection IS a movement but it is not a change (hard to explain this but if need be, I'll take some time and room here).

That's an element of Greek philosophy which has been criticized that it would mean that a perfect acorn would be unable to produce a perfect tree. Likewise it would say that a perfect red ball cannot become blue or green unless it is no longer perfect. It would say that a perfect God whom was exclusively spirit could not be made flesh and walk among us, I don't think it is right to say that the whole world agrees on the "perfection cannot change" statement because I am sure I have seen people specifically disagree on this.

Derf

Sometimes the topic is beyond the denominational walls :up:
Denominational walls mostly are used to prevent the intercommunication needed to resolve differences in doctrine. So it's a very good thing, one prayed for by Jesus before His death, that we have these kinds of discussions, imo.

Well, the red-herring is a bit more than that. Logically, whether one sees it or another doesn't, if the topic comes up, it is important (I think) to ask why one thinks 'whim' is on the discussion table. In this case, we are talking about a God who is HIGHLY intelligent. To change the mind of a being well beyond us in honesty, love, righteousness, grace, and mercy (to name a few), why WOULD you want to change His mind?
If a highly intelligent, honest, loving, righteous, gracious, and merciful God had decided it was time for me to die, I would want to change His mind.

If a highly intelligent, honest, loving, righteous, gracious, and merciful God believed it was time for me to die, I would want to change His mind.

Let's take it a step further. If a highly intelligent, honest, loving, righteous, gracious, and merciful God had decided I, specifically, should go to hell, I would want to change His mind. I would plead for some of that love, grace and mercy, and for a little less righteousness (read: justice).

None of this detracts from God's character if He exercises His love, grace, or mercy. Nor is it a whim when God says that He will NOT destroy the nation He had thought ("planned", "purposed", "intended"??) to destroy when it repents. A "whim" is "a sudden desire or change of mind, especially one that is unusual or unexplained". Neither "unusual" not "unexplained" apply to a God who is highly intelligent, honest, loving, righteous, gracious, and merciful, thankfully.

Doesn't it, in fact demand that someone at some point is 'more empathetic' (like Moses intervening on Israel's behalf), or more merciful (like Abraham begging for 10 righteous in Sodom). Please entertain the thought with me: It 'looks' like Open Theists trade a highly intelligent, God of Love and mercy for one who isn't some of the time and it takes man to 'change His mind.' To me? That's scary! Flat-out! I don't know if the tone is carried like I want it here, but I want to ensure I convey some weight to this supposed strawman-red herring. I want to at least get it treated with some weight and appreciative value. You 'can' dismiss it as 'not this Open Theist' but it is a very real concern that many traditional theists honestly assess/believe about Open Theism.
I can't tell which would have been the best path for God to take: to destroy Sodom or to leave it to its own devices, except for knowing which path God actually chose. I can't tell whether there might be some additional benefit or additional loss if God destroyed the bulk of the Israelites and raised up a people from Moses. But ask yourself if you could say the same thing if God had agreed with Abraham or disagreed with Moses. At this point we both have to be content that God did the right thing in both situations. Mercy and empathy are certainly not the only considerations in His mind, and to limit each of those decisions in such a way is to say that God is merciful but NOT intelligent, or empathetic but NOT righteous (as examples). If God is all those things, then He must use all those qualities to decide what to do.

Too blanketed. You can ask why it is a Calvinist truth, but you are thinking about truth as if it cannot be expressed in a moment.
A settled future has no moments when it is NOT settled. If God expresses something as future, then that must be the way it turns out in a settled future, or God is not telling the truth. There is no other way.
Let me try this: "The sun is up." Sometimes this is true in your neck of the woods, but it is always true on the earth somewhere. Therefore it isn't necessary to see the change in God. It is ALWAYS (imho) man and his perceptions that 1) experience the change and 2) actually the ones who need the change.
There are regional truths, surely, but how does that apply to a man's death? "Hezekiah, you will die in this universe, but in the other universe, you will recover."

Can an immovable God move from one perfection to another? Can a changeless God change His mind to embrace an alternate, equally good, intent? To me, this helps define the changelessness of God--not from good to bad, but from one good to another, as it fits His character, when His subjects change direction.

Yes, but again, "I" the initiator of that conversation, didn't change my mind.
Yes, you did, but not in the way you are saying. At first you were saying that it was going to boil over, and then, after the heat was removed, you knew that it was NOT going to boil over. You suggest what you wanted to happen, but it contrasts with what you "knew" was going to happen. Even after the heat was removed, it still might have boiled over, if the heat were re-applied. This is a pure and simple example of an open theistic view. Your "prophecy" of boiling over was correct without further action, and you didn't really know if your wife was going to act to remove the heat. She might have resisted your wise advice. She might have keeled over dead. The phone might have rung before she got to the stove. Those last two are things you wouldn't have had control over, but God would have. The first, however, that of resisting wise advice, is one God has determined, as far as I can tell, not to interfere with, in many circumstances.

Well, like the sun example, I can also say, as I am typing this, it is 10:27 PM. This IS a time constrained truth. It 'was' true.
This is a bait and switch, imo, where you talk about a present truth as being time constrained, vs a future truth. I got this from a Calvinist friend early in my quest for an understanding of the open view, and on the same subject. He quickly stated that Hezekiah's predicted death was true AT THE TIME GOD SAID IT. It shut me down, and I wasn't sure why, until I realized that I had no need to argue with him--he was agreeing with me (and embracing open theism, however briefly). That's why I say to you, welcome to the open theism camp.

All parents don't tell kids EVERYTHING. They hold back and for all the good and right reasons. "Because I said so" didn't look 'loving' to me growing up. I try a bit differently with my kids, but I CERTAINLY don't tell them "because just now, your grandpa is dying in the hospital." WE have to grow and learn and be made and molded in HIS image. We do not meet God on 'mutual' ground. Isaiah 55:9
But if we as parents say, "Tomorrow we are going to Disneyland," and tomorrow comes and they don't get to go, they recognize the unrighteousness of it, unless something caused us to change our minds (like they stayed up all night after they were supposed to be in bed). On the idea that we are rewarding good behavior and punishing bad, there has been no change. But on the specific detail of going to Disneyland, there HAS been a change of mind. Both of these, the change of mind and the non-change of mind, are representative of the role we play as parents, and our rewards and punishments are almost always conditional (which means the future is conditional, or "open", when it comes to family matters). There is another type of "openness" that can come into play that is NOT comparable to God, and that's when we as parents do not fulfill a promise due to our own negligence, busyness, or whatever.

Well, you are assuming it 'of' the Calvinist rather. You can clarify a bit, but that is the assumption you wrote as one of your options AND ascribed to Calvinism. It needs a bit of clarification and discussion.
Are you suggesting that I am accusing Calvinists of calling God a liar? That may be, but it is neither my hope nor my intention to make such accusation. Since you are picking up on it the way you have, maybe the shoe fits?

If I'm missing your point, please clarify for me.

More out of necessity. I freely admit, as intelligent or lacking that I am, I am nowhere near the thoughts of God, just the revelation He has made clear.
This is where Hezekiah was, too. God revealed his future, he cried out to God, and God revealed a new future. Both were clear, and at odds.

It is important, for me, to differentiate between God's decretive and prescriptive will. Prescriptive may very well seem to indicate 'open theism' and that's fine when it comes to common ground, but we have to also understand and appreciate where we depart. For me, it is clear that God does not want sin in His world YET He allows it for some reason. What reason? :idunno: To me, like the Open Theist, I can speculate, but I've really no idea. I do know, fact, that this passage explains it, vaguely: Matthew 13:24-43 Somehow, the wheat that is precious too Him, would be damaged. That, to me, isn't Open Theism: It is God doing something the ONLY way it CAN be done.
I recognize that God allows some stuff that I might not allow if I were Him. But I also know that God knows some stuff I don't know, and He can handle some stuff that I can't handle. The best I can tell is that God knows that in order to eradicate sin, He first has to allow it some time and freedom to happen. And that makes sense to me if God is working to develop a people that don't sin--by their own choice.

As with above, we do know there is harm that can come to God's own, if not dealt with precisely. When you see atrocity, God doesn't want that. It ONLY happens as necessity of working carefully to bringing in the full number.

:up: Thank you for your discussion and thoughtful responses. -Lon
And you as well.

Lon

That's an element of Greek philosophy which has been criticized that it would mean that a perfect acorn would be unable to produce a perfect tree. Likewise it would say that a perfect red ball cannot become blue or green unless it is no longer perfect. It would say that a perfect God whom was exclusively spirit could not be made flesh and walk among us, I don't think it is right to say that the whole world agrees on the "perfection cannot change" statement because I am sure I have seen people specifically disagree on this.

Then I submit Open Theists need a lesson from Greeks. They are correct, by Webster's dictionary definition, anyway. Perfection, by definition, does not allow change else it is no longer perfect. We need to discuss whether there are 'multiple' versions of perfection or not. I say not, else I'd not be commanded to 1) be perfect 'as' my Heavenly Father 2) follow Paul, as he follows Christ, etc. I'd like to challenge a few problematic "Greek philosophy" scapegoats perpetrated by a few open theist pastors on this particular. Frankly, 'they' are wrong and the Greeks are/were right. Simply saying 'Greek' doesn't give them an out for illogical and faulty theology. They need to be called on this one.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Lon

Denominational walls mostly are used to prevent the intercommunication needed to resolve differences in doctrine. So it's a very good thing, one prayed for by Jesus before His death, that we have these kinds of discussions, imo.

If a highly intelligent, honest, loving, righteous, gracious, and merciful God had decided it was time for me to die, I would want to change His mind.
:nono: You'd want to change 'your' mind, heart, and actions that 'caused' that problem. I had a lady ask me to pray for her to get well. She was dying and her lungs were shot. In between breaths of oxygen, she'd smoke and was told it'd kill her. She did not need God to 'change His mind.' She needed to change hers.

If a highly intelligent, honest, loving, righteous, gracious, and merciful God believed it was time for me to die, I would want to change His mind.
:nono: For me? To live is Christ, but to die is gain. You are playing this Open game a little too close to the chest imho.

Let's take it a step further. If a highly intelligent, honest, loving, righteous, gracious, and merciful God had decided I, specifically, should go to hell, I would want to change His mind. I would plead for some of that love, grace and mercy, and for a little less righteousness (read: justice).
:nono: If I'm going to hell, the LAST place I need to be is messing up heaven. We humans have already made a mess of this life. Grace saved/is saving some of us. Worse? No unbeliever agrees with you.
None of this detracts from God's character if He exercises His love, grace, or mercy. Nor is it a whim when God says that He will NOT destroy the nation He had thought ("planned", "purposed", "intended"??) to destroy when it repents.
You just said it and undid all your own theology: A nation 'repents.' See the point? God never changed His mind, people did. The grace has been there all along BECAUSE IT IS THE CHARACTER of GOD! I'm not sure if I can ever get an Open Theist to understand that, but the Open presumption does damage to the character and nature of God and (while I think not meaning to do so) makes God a glorified changing, and unfortunately by association with theory: makes Him an imperfect being.

A "whim" is "a sudden desire or change of mind, especially one that is unusual or unexplained". Neither "unusual" not "unexplained" apply to a God who is highly intelligent, honest, loving, righteous, gracious, and merciful, thankfully.
I agree BUT open theists do not. By definition, God isn't open, at all, to whim. It IS the open, of open theism.

I can't tell which would have been the best path for God to take: to destroy Sodom or to leave it to its own devices, except for knowing which path God actually chose. I can't tell whether there might be some additional benefit or additional loss if God destroyed the bulk of the Israelites and raised up a people from Moses. But ask yourself if you could say the same thing if God had agreed with Abraham or disagreed with Moses. At this point we both have to be content that God did the right thing in both situations. Mercy and empathy are certainly not the only considerations in His mind, and to limit each of those decisions in such a way is to say that God is merciful but NOT intelligent, or empathetic but NOT righteous (as examples). If God is all those things, then He must use all those qualities to decide what to do.

:up: This is 'why' I'm not Open.

A settled future has no moments when it is NOT settled. If God expresses something as future, then that must be the way it turns out in a settled future, or God is not telling the truth. There is no other way.
Disagree. It is a false dichotomy. Think of it like this: You read a book. While reading the book, the hero is in danger. You find out in the end, the hero is safe. Question: If you were an Open Theist reading the book, would the 'in danger' be a lie? The book cannot be changed, right? It ends the way it was intended right? Open theists, as far as my interaction and studies, make a few logical blunders and errors that just don't and as far as my mind works, cannot, add up. Problem? :nono: We are in God's hands. I believe He brings us toward growth in this short walk but 1 John 3:2 is our hope and goal.

There are regional truths, surely, but how does that apply to a man's death? "Hezekiah, you will die in this universe, but in the other universe, you will recover."
The truth here is time-sensitive. It is, to me, like saying "the pot is going to boil over." Me just saying that ensures the pot won't boil over, right? Did I 'lie" even technically to my wife? I say no, not at all. I believe the same, if not exact, very similar with Hezekiah.

Can an immovable God move from one perfection to another? Can a changeless God change His mind to embrace an alternate, equally good, intent? To me, this helps define the changelessness of God--not from good to bad, but from one good to another, as it fits His character, when His subjects change direction.
The definition of perfection doesn't really allow 'change.' Such rather expresses specifically to specific circumstances. Example: I (theoretically) make the 'perfect birthday cake.' You cannot 'fix one corner' or 'change that rose' regarding and in line with the definition of 'perfection.' So, I take the birthday cake to a wedding :(

The reason the Greeks were right concerning the unchanging nature of perfection is because that is the definition of the word. The bible tells us clearly to 'be perfect as your Heavenly Father is perfect.' "IF" that standard was changing/changeable, you COULD NOT attain to that perfection. The command assumes the end result as an unchangeable given, therefore 1) the Greeks were right, and a few Open Theist pastors are negligently wrong in their logistics in theology AND 2) perfection, as a biblical given, assures that we have an 'unchangeable' standard to attain (in Christ).

Yes, you did, but not in the way you are saying. At first you were saying that it was going to boil over, and then, after the heat was removed, you knew that it was NOT going to boil over. You suggest what you wanted to happen, but it contrasts with what you "knew" was going to happen. Even after the heat was removed, it still might have boiled over, if the heat were re-applied. This is a pure and simple example of an open theistic view. Your "prophecy" of boiling over was correct without further action, and you didn't really know if your wife was going to act to remove the heat. She might have resisted your wise advice. She might have keeled over dead. The phone might have rung before she got to the stove. Those last two are things you wouldn't have had control over, but God would have. The first, however, that of resisting wise advice, is one God has determined, as far as I can tell, not to interfere with, in many circumstances.
:) That isn't a change of mind, my friend. That is more precisely a 'change of information and condition.' No mind change going on.

This is a bait and switch, imo, where you talk about a present truth as being time constrained, vs a future truth. I got this from a Calvinist friend early in my quest for an understanding of the open view, and on the same subject. He quickly stated that Hezekiah's predicted death was true AT THE TIME GOD SAID IT. It shut me down, and I wasn't sure why, until I realized that I had no need to argue with him--he was agreeing with me (and embracing open theism, however briefly). That's why I say to you, welcome to the open theism camp.
Not quite. Like above, it isn't a change of mind at all. It is a change of conditions.

Example: I go to make a carrot cake and start pulling out all the ingredients only to find the person I was making it for is allergic. I put that mix back into my cupboard and grab my pineapple upsidedown mix instead.
1) Did I change my mind? :nono: That is a poor way to describe what happened. I rather had resources and ALREADY had the other mix ready. I WOULDN'T have if I didn't have that mindset already. I'd have been caught unaware and lacking resources. Most Open Theists don't get this, but the OMNI's all tie together. God already owns the cattle on a thousand hills (everything). There is nothing He needs to 'go get.' He IS the source of all things. While this tends to boggle minds, it is never-the-less true and the OMNIs genuinely do demand the other.

But if we as parents say, "Tomorrow we are going to Disneyland," and tomorrow comes and they don't get to go, they recognize the unrighteousness of it, unless something caused us to change our minds (like they stayed up all night after they were supposed to be in bed). On the idea that we are rewarding good behavior and punishing bad, there has been no change. But on the specific detail of going to Disneyland, there HAS been a change of mind. Both of these, the change of mind and the non-change of mind, are representative of the role we play as parents, and our rewards and punishments are almost always conditional (which means the future is conditional, or "open", when it comes to family matters). There is another type of "openness" that can come into play that is NOT comparable to God, and that's when we as parents do not fulfill a promise due to our own negligence, busyness, or whatever.
A lot of you Open Theists must live in California or Florida. "IF" I cancelled Disneyland, it'd be a big deal. It just doesn't and has never happened. I'd think I'd be a terrible father, frankly.
Are you suggesting that I am accusing Calvinists of calling God a liar? That may be, but it is neither my hope nor my intention to make such accusation. Since you are picking up on it the way you have, maybe the shoe fits?
Ouch. Do you realize what you just said? :think: I KNOW a good many Open Theists think God would have to be a liar in Calvinism thought. The problem isn't that the 'shoe fits.' There is a different problem...

If I'm missing your point, please clarify for me.
Many Open Theists have "If/then" statements that aren't true. They don't equate correctly: bad math.

This is where Hezekiah was, too. God revealed his future, he cried out to God, and God revealed a new future. Both were clear, and at odds.

I recognize that God allows some stuff that I might not allow if I were Him. But I also know that God knows some stuff I don't know, and He can handle some stuff that I can't handle. The best I can tell is that God knows that in order to eradicate sin, He first has to allow it some time and freedom to happen. And that makes sense to me if God is working to develop a people that don't sin--by their own choice.
I see Open Theism theology as 'a work in progress' and probably the only thing that would trouble me, is it wasn't progressing :e4e:

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Then I submit Open Theists need a lesson from Greeks.

Lon, We don't need philosophy of the Greeks to understand the God of the Bible.

They are correct, by Webster's dictionary definition, anyway. Perfection, by definition, does not allow change else it is no longer perfect.

A perfect acorn grows into a perfect oak tree. A perfect baby grows into an adult.

Things that are perfect DO change.

We need to discuss whether there are 'multiple' versions of perfection or not. I say not, else I'd not be commanded to 1) be perfect 'as' my Heavenly Father 2) follow Paul, as he follows Christ, etc. I'd like to challenge a few problematic "Greek philosophy" scapegoats perpetrated by a few open theist pastors on this particular. Frankly, 'they' are wrong and the Greeks are/were right. Simply saying 'Greek' doesn't give them an out for illogical and faulty theology. They need to be called on this one.

Ok, so let's consider something:

What if the pharisees just prior to Jesus' time had used Babylonian, or perhaps the Egyptian philosophers' (this is hypothetical by the way) interpretation of their scripture to understand God? Would that have been ok? Or would they have been wrong in doing so, and would lead to beliefs that would anger God, because they would have been misrepresenting Him?

No one who is an Open Theist "simply says 'Greek'" when defending open theism against Calvinism. The Greeks (although pagan) had a lot of things right. Their philosophy on God does not match the God of the Bible, and is therefore not one of the things they got right.

In other words, we should not start with the Greeks philosophy and interpret the Bible in light of it (as Augustine was told to do). We SHOULD start with Scripture, ignore the Greek philosophy until we have an understanding of what the Bible actually says, and then, and only then, will we be able to see if anything the pagans said was right. I would hope that you agree on this.

The best way to get an idea of what the Bible says without any outside interference or influence is to first read it, and get an overview of the entire book. You don't start reading a novel from page 328, you start from page 1, and then read through the whole book. Then you can start to look at the details of the book, again, without any outside influence. What does the text say at it's most basic level. And you can do that through the whole Bible, and you don't even have to read it in the original languages, just read your standard english version. Once you've done that, if you were confused about anything, you can look up what certain words or phrases mean, to see how it fits in with the rest of scripture. And then you can look at the original meaning of the words, using the Hebrew and Greek documents, and see what the message was that the author was trying to convey.

And then, at this point, you can see if there's any secondary meanings to what is said, especially now that you have an understanding of the basics. See if any phrases or events in the Bible have a second meaning, or refer to other events in the Bible.

And here's the kicker. All of the above can be done without using Greek philosophy.

Derf

:nono: You'd want to change 'your' mind, heart, and actions that 'caused' that problem. I had a lady ask me to pray for her to get well. She was dying and her lungs were shot. In between breaths of oxygen, she'd smoke and was told it'd kill her. She did not need God to 'change His mind.' She needed to change hers.

:nono: For me? To live is Christ, but to die is gain. You are playing this Open game a little too close to the chest imho.

:nono: If I'm going to hell, the LAST place I need to be is messing up heaven. We humans have already made a mess of this life. Grace saved/is saving some of us. Worse? No unbeliever agrees with you.
You just said it and undid all your own theology: A nation 'repents.' See the point? God never changed His mind, people did. The grace has been there all along BECAUSE IT IS THE CHARACTER of GOD! I'm not sure if I can ever get an Open Theist to understand that, but the Open presumption does damage to the character and nature of God and (while I think not meaning to do so) makes God a glorified changing, and unfortunately by association with theory: makes Him an imperfect being.
This is the point I was attempting to get at before. At one point you restrict "change" in God as something that is a change in His character, and at another time you define a "change" in God as any kind of change. This is where we need to define our terms better. If you feel that "change of mind" in God is part of that character definition, I can try to abide by it, but not until I finish this section of my post (or maybe the whole post). But if God at one time was going to destroy a nation (really, truly; it was in His plans to do so), and then at a later time He had repented/relented/sighed (it was NOT in His plans to do so--for whatever reason), then something about God has changed. You have rejected that God changed His mind, and maybe I cling to it too much, but euphemistically, it is an accurate description, even if the change was centered only on the smaller details, and not on the over-arching purpose. (Your carrot cake illustration below illustrates this.)

If we look at the prediction of Hezekiah's death as a reality in God's mind--that he would die of his illness--and then that reality was replaced with a new reality in God's mind--that he would NOT die of his illness, this is NOT a change in God's character. Can we agree with that? If you don't agree, tell me why.

If it is NOT a change in God's character, but it is still a different outcome that God has determined is true (either by knowing what will happen in the future or by causing it to happen), is God's mind now thinking of a different outcome?

If you say "No" to that question, and you believe there is NOT a different outcome in God's mind, then that MUST mean that it is the only outcome God has considered, right? And then, He told Hezekiah a different outcome was coming, something that is different from what He knows is the actual outcome.

I agree BUT open theists do not. By definition, God isn't open, at all, to whim. It IS the open, of open theism.
What are you saying is the open of open theism? Whim? Why do you say that?

:up: This is 'why' I'm not Open.
I think I understand your point here. Here's where I think it leads. If God always knows everything about everyone, even before they exist, in order to never have to change an outcome, then there has to be a basis for His knowledge. I can think of only two:
1. He can "see" the future and therefore knows exactly what everyone will think and do.
2. He creates ("ordains") the future, and therefore knows exactly what He will do.

Since we have two possible sources of this information, we have to consider how both affect the Hezekiah story.
#1 makes God a liar to Hezekiah, because He told Hezekiah something He KNEW was false.
#2 makes God a liar to Hezekiah, because He told Hezekiah something He KNEW was false.

Time-sensitivity doesn't work as an out, because we aren't talking about God's knowledge being time-sensitive.

Disagree. It is a false dichotomy. Think of it like this: You read a book. While reading the book, the hero is in danger. You find out in the end, the hero is safe. Question: If you were an Open Theist reading the book, would the 'in danger' be a lie? The book cannot be changed, right? It ends the way it was intended right? Open theists, as far as my interaction and studies, make a few logical blunders and errors that just don't and as far as my mind works, cannot, add up. Problem? :nono: We are in God's hands. I believe He brings us toward growth in this short walk but 1 John 3:2 is our hope and goal.

The truth here is time-sensitive. It is, to me, like saying "the pot is going to boil over." Me just saying that ensures the pot won't boil over, right? Did I 'lie" even technically to my wife? I say no, not at all. I believe the same, if not exact, very similar with Hezekiah.
Essentially you are saying that based on the current trajectory, the pot is going to boil over. I agree with this line of thinking for humans, and the associated message. God does not have to think like this, since He supposedly knows that the trajectory is going to change. But, I'll play along for a minute to see how the story would unfold.

If I were to read your story and try to determine from it whether YOU are omniscient about future events, what conclusion would I reach? **That you are NOT omniscient about future events.**

What is a different way to deliver the message (the one that says to your wife that she needs to turn down the stove) that is more in keeping with your omniscience? How about, "Please turn down the stove before it boils over." Because you know your wife, and she trusts you, it would be sufficient. "But what if it's NOT sufficient?" you ask. If your wife doesn't rust you, then you might have to tell her something that's not true (that the pot is going to boil over), in order to get her to do something she doesn't want to do. But if that's what happened to Hezekiah, and God told him something that was NOT the truth, because He didn't have the power to accomplish His goals other ways. What does that say for Hezekiah?

Remember, both of these statements are dealing with a person who knows the future perfectly, and therefore knows if their attempts were successful. So you can't use the time-sensitive statements when talking about the future when dealing with a person who knows the future. You can't say God didn't really know which would happen.

But there is another problem with your interaction with a future you already know about--you are destined as much as she is, despite the difference in future knowledge. The difference between our #1 scenario and the #2 scenario above is that YOU (in your example) are the only one it makes a difference for. And here's the difference it makes:

#1 You know it is going to happen and know that your warning will work, but you are still required to give the warning--by some other power that is greater than you (a fixed future). Nor can you decide to change the scenario to allow the pot to boil over, if there is some reason to do so.
#2 You know it is going to happen and know that your warning will work, but you are still required to give the warning--because from before the beginning of time you decided that's what would happen. You are playing a role in your own movie (or perhaps book, which I'll talk about below), and are required to do so, in order for everything to work out like you planned.

Let me try this another way. Let's say that God has told a family they were going to have a baby. But then, the wife dies, and the man remarries, and then God tells him that he's not going to have a baby. Would God be guilty of false prophecy? At the time of the joyous news, the first wife was healthy, but then she got sick and died. After she died, the "time-sensitivity" of the prophecy expired, and it was no longer true. Would you not cry foul in this case? Essentially it sets up God for never having to fulfill ANY prophecies. All could be considered to have time-sensitive components.

The definition of perfection doesn't really allow 'change.' Such rather expresses specifically to specific circumstances. Example: I (theoretically) make the 'perfect birthday cake.' You cannot 'fix one corner' or 'change that rose' regarding and in line with the definition of 'perfection.' So, I take the birthday cake to a wedding :(
I don't get this example. I guess you're saying that a perfect birthday cake is not perfect for a wedding, and I agree. In the same way a perfect reaction to a sinful deed can be more than one thing--justice or mercy. God can choose which one He wants to do. But a perfect reaction to a repentant sinner may be more restricted.

The reason the Greeks were right concerning the unchanging nature of perfection is because that is the definition of the word. The bible tells us clearly to 'be perfect as your Heavenly Father is perfect.' "IF" that standard was changing/changeable, you COULD NOT attain to that perfection. The command assumes the end result as an unchangeable given, therefore 1) the Greeks were right, and a few Open Theist pastors are negligently wrong in their logistics in theology AND 2) perfection, as a biblical given, assures that we have an 'unchangeable' standard to attain (in Christ).
I'll let you fight with [MENTION=18255]Rosenritter[/MENTION] about the Greeks.

:) That isn't a change of mind, my friend. That is more precisely a 'change of information and condition.' No mind change going on.
Then you admit God gained in His information???? Well, we're making some great progress!

Not quite. Like above, it isn't a change of mind at all. It is a change of conditions.
But God, supposedly, doesn't need to react to a change of conditions by changing the result, since He knew those would be the conditions. Remember this is about what is going to happen in the future.

Example: I go to make a carrot cake and start pulling out all the ingredients only to find the person I was making it for is allergic. I put that mix back into my cupboard and grab my pineapple upsidedown mix instead.
1) Did I change my mind? :nono: That is a poor way to describe what happened. I rather had resources and ALREADY had the other mix ready. I WOULDN'T have if I didn't have that mindset already. I'd have been caught unaware and lacking resources. Most Open Theists don't get this, but the OMNI's all tie together. God already owns the cattle on a thousand hills (everything). There is nothing He needs to 'go get.' He IS the source of all things. While this tends to boggle minds, it is never-the-less true and the OMNIs genuinely do demand the other.
What was your "mindset"? to make a cake, or to make a carrot cake? In one sense, the over-all purpose of your act, you want to do something nice for the person. When you find out the new (to you) information about the allergy, you change your lower-level "purpose" of making a carrot cake to making an upside-down cake. But your over-all purpose hasn't changed. Both are changes, and I can argue that both are changes of mind, but only the latter (no longer wanting to do a good thing for a friend) is a change of mindset, perhaps.

The reason this doesn't fit the settled future God is that He already KNEW about Hezekiah's allergy, and chose to make the carrot cake anyway--until Hezekiah told him about the allergy verbally. Then God decided to make the upside-down cake, AS IF the information was new.

A lot of you Open Theists must live in California or Florida. "IF" I cancelled Disneyland, it'd be a big deal. It just doesn't and has never happened. I'd think I'd be a terrible father, frankly.
You wouldn't cancel for ANY reason? Well, that surprises me. (And no, I live in Colorado. Disneyland is a convenient reference, and it seems like people are always going there or to Orlando from CO for vacation.)

Ouch. Do you realize what you just said? :think: I KNOW a good many Open Theists think God would have to be a liar in Calvinism thought. The problem isn't that the 'shoe fits.' There is a different problem...
I'll retract my rather insensitive question. Sorry.

Many Open Theists have "If/then" statements that aren't true. They don't equate correctly: bad math.

I see Open Theism theology as 'a work in progress' and probably the only thing that would trouble me, is it wasn't progressing :e4e:
I would think that all theologies are a work in progress. And your concern for open theists applies to all others, too, don't you think?

I'm not sure I see any progression in Calvinism. I get the feeling that they locked down on a particular rendition and aren't willing to consider the positives of others that are presented to them. This isn't true of all Calvinists, of course, but of "Calvinism" as an entity.

Rosenritter

Then I submit Open Theists need a lesson from Greeks. They are correct, by Webster's dictionary definition, anyway. Perfection, by definition, does not allow change else it is no longer perfect. We need to discuss whether there are 'multiple' versions of perfection or not. I say not, else I'd not be commanded to 1) be perfect 'as' my Heavenly Father 2) follow Paul, as he follows Christ, etc. I'd like to challenge a few problematic "Greek philosophy" scapegoats perpetrated by a few open theist pastors on this particular. Frankly, 'they' are wrong and the Greeks are/were right. Simply saying 'Greek' doesn't give them an out for illogical and faulty theology. They need to be called on this one.

That passage doesn't contribute to that question. There's multiple meanings and applications of perfect, and the specified meaning of perfect in that passage is "love."

Matthew 5:43-48 KJV
(43) Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.
(44) But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
(45) That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.
(46) For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?
(47) And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so?
(48) Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

He isn't saying that we should be perfect as our Father in heaven has never sinned, or as our Father in heaven who has never made a mistake, but that love makes perfect, and that we should strive for that same perfection in love just as our Father has shown us the meaning of love.

But if we were to take that meaning of "perfect" as you were suggesting, it would mean that God, who is Spirit, could not be made manifest in the flesh without becoming less than perfect in love. Surely that's not what you meant to suggest?

Rosenritter

In that case, the "danger" would be a fiction... and the only reason why I wouldn't say "lie" is because no one every believed the book was to be taken seriously as true or genuine in the first place. It wasn't reality. But in contrast, aren't we discussing the nature of reality here, and doesn't God speak to us as if danger is certain and real?

AMR (as the Calvinist) said that God intends for us to treat the warnings as they were real (and here I agree with him!)

The minute placement of a rose does not touch on whether a birthday cake is truly perfect or not. Have you ever done any actual cooking or baking? There is such a thing as there being more than one perfect solution to a problem! I think we should stop and discuss birthday cakes until this basic concept of perfection is ironed out.

Rosenritter

I'll let you fight with @Rosenritter about the Greeks.

Paul specifically warned against the influence of Greek philosophy. It was a mode of thought that permeated the higher learning of the time but it was carnal and not compatible with God and revealed knowledge. Anything sourced from the Greeks that cannot also be established clearly from scripture (including the Hebrew scripture) should be suspect and held to close examination.

Colossians 2:8 KJV
(8) Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

A similar analogy could be made today with the humanistic influence present in schools and institutes of higher learning that deny God and teach that the world made itself from nothing over quadrillions of years.

Lon

Lon, We don't need philosophy of the Greeks to understand the God of the Bible.
I submit you do, if they understood a biblical principle and the royal 'we' does not. Scapegoating a bunch of poor Greeks for 1) scapegoating and 2) diversion is/are simply a horrible Open Theist theologian tactic. It is horrible theology as well for that matter. It is debate and NOT theology at that point. Theology, by definition, is the study of God, not Greeks. Most importantly, the Omni is given in scripture:
John 21:17 "Lord you know all things knowable" OR "Lord you know all things"? Greek??? :noway:

A perfect acorn grows into a perfect oak tree. A perfect baby grows into an adult.
Platitudes. There is no perfect acorn, tree, baby, or adult but Christ alone regarding the latter.
Things that are perfect DO change.
Merely platitude and assertion again (not you, most of this is from pastors who just aren't thinking logically/correctly and are passing off their immature assessments to the Open body). You nor any Open Theist (there aren't many of you) can change definitions all by yourself. More importantly, why would you want to? :idunno: Wouldn't it be wiser and better just to learn the proper definition of Biblical words?

Ok, so let's consider something:

What if the pharisees just prior to Jesus' time had used Babylonian, or perhaps the Egyptian philosophers' (this is hypothetical by the way) interpretation of their scripture to understand God? Would that have been ok? Or would they have been wrong in doing so, and would lead to beliefs that would anger God, because they would have been misrepresenting Him?
Honestly, it is neither here nor there. As I said it is distraction tactic and attempt at debate by bait and switch. I don't ever want to be hard on those who listen to these pastors and supposed teachers, but it really is, imho, poor thinking and juvenile thinking. Now I realize someone defending the pastor they love is going to want to come to their defense, but it is terrible theology and I have to stand by my assessment. Its wrong. It doesn't matter who is thinking what. It matters if that thinking is true because the coincidence is merely that: Coincidence. Open Theists are WAY more versed in Greek occupation than I have ever been or will be. I spend way more time reading my bible instead of wasting it (time spent).

No one who is an Open Theist "simply says 'Greek'" when defending open theism against Calvinism. The Greeks (although pagan) had a lot of things right. Their philosophy on God does not match the God of the Bible, and is therefore not one of the things they got right.
For this, here is most of our answer: " I got this from the Bible, if Greeks happen to have the same thing right, good for them, but who cares?"

In other words, we should not start with the Greeks philosophy and interpret the Bible in light of it (as Augustine was told to do). We SHOULD start with Scripture, ignore the Greek philosophy until we have an understanding of what the Bible actually says, and then, and only then, will we be able to see if anything the pagans said was right. I would hope that you agree on this.
And yet again, Open Theists typically bring up Greeks WAAAAY more than I ever would (or could). I really am MUCH more familiar with my bible than even Christian history (did okay in those classes, sometimes, because I was trying to work my way through Bible College, put me to sleep).

The best way to get an idea of what the Bible says without any outside interference or influence is to first read it, and get an overview of the entire book.
:up: Multiple times.
You don't start reading a novel from page 328, you start from page 1, and then read through the whole book. Then you can start to look at the details of the book, again, without any outside influence. What does the text say at it's most basic level. And you can do that through the whole Bible, and you don't even have to read it in the original languages, just read your standard english version. Once you've done that, if you were confused about anything, you can look up what certain words or phrases mean, to see how it fits in with the rest of scripture. And then you can look at the original meaning of the words, using the Hebrew and Greek documents, and see what the message was that the author was trying to convey.
At this point, I don't believe this is an Open Theist vs discussion but I 'think' most Open Theists agree with me: It is best to read 'your' mail first. I try to get new believers to read through the New Testament at least 7 times before reading the O.T. with perhaps the exception of Genesis and the Psalms. Open Theists would leave a few out, like James and Hebrews, but I'm okay with that too. I think we need to be really understanding what it means to be a gentile Christian.

And then, at this point, you can see if there's any secondary meanings to what is said, especially now that you have an understanding of the basics. See if any phrases or events in the Bible have a second meaning, or refer to other events in the Bible.
:up: For all of us.
And here's the kicker. All of the above can be done without using Greek philosophy.
:up:

Rosenritter

I submit you do, if they understood a biblical principle and the royal 'we' does not. Scapegoating a bunch of poor Greeks for 1) scapegoating and 2) diversion is/are simply a horrible Open Theist theologian tactic. It is horrible theology as well for that matter. It is debate and NOT theology at that point. Theology, by definition, is the study of God, not Greeks. Most importantly, the Omni is given in scripture:
John 21:17 "Lord you know all things knowable" OR "Lord you know all things"? Greek??? :noway:

This isn't simply limited to "Open Theism" ... Greek philosophy does not provide a proper framework for the Greek scriptures. I'll use an example entirely outside of this question for an example. Let's consider the term "eternal fire" ...

The Greek philosophers had a concept of "eternal fire" as fire which never stops burning, because it had the peculiar virtue of restoring its subject even as it burned it, thus "eternal fire" would always burn and the substance would never be consumed. Does this mean that this Greek philosophy version of "eternal fire" is what we should apply on the Holy Scripture?

Jude 1:7 KJV
(7) Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.

In Jude we are told that Sodom and Gomorrha are set forth as an example of having suffered the vengeance of eternal fire. Sodom and Gomorrha were not continually restored so that they would never stop burning (as the Greek interpretation of eternal fire would require) but were rather reduced to ashes once and for all. If they were an example of the Greek philosophical version of "eternal fire" you'd be able to still see them burning today.

2 Peter 2:6 KJV
(6) And turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrha into ashes condemned them with an overthrow, making them an ensample unto those that after should live ungodly;

The point is that one should not assume that Greek philosophy is any correct way to interpret scripture. It is possible (at best) that there is no contradiction, but it certainly cannot be simply trusted. The "Perfect does not Change" and "A Perfect God does not experience Passion" are elements of Greek philosophy, not as God has revealed himself in scripture as interpreted by scripture.

Lon

This is the point I was attempting to get at before. At one point you restrict "change" in God as something that is a change in His character, and at another time you define a "change" in God as any kind of change. This is where we need to define our terms better. If you feel that "change of mind" in God is part of that character definition, I can try to abide by it, but not until I finish this section of my post (or maybe the whole post). But if God at one time was going to destroy a nation (really, truly; it was in His plans to do so), and then at a later time He had repented/relented/sighed (it was NOT in His plans to do so--for whatever reason), then something about God has changed. You have rejected that God changed His mind, and maybe I cling to it too much, but euphemistically, it is an accurate description, even if the change was centered only on the smaller details, and not on the over-arching purpose. (Your carrot cake illustration below illustrates this.)

If we look at the prediction of Hezekiah's death as a reality in God's mind--that he would die of his illness--and then that reality was replaced with a new reality in God's mind--that he would NOT die of his illness, this is NOT a change in God's character. Can we agree with that? If you don't agree, tell me why.

If it is NOT a change in God's character, but it is still a different outcome that God has determined is true (either by knowing what will happen in the future or by causing it to happen), is God's mind now thinking of a different outcome?

If you say "No" to that question, and you believe there is NOT a different outcome in God's mind, then that MUST mean that it is the only outcome God has considered, right? And then, He told Hezekiah a different outcome was coming, something that is different from what He knows is the actual outcome.
The problem with any time-constrained consideration (us and our perspective) is that it isn't God's. We know, at least from revelation if not total grasp, that God does not think like us, nor are His ways our ways. It, for me, necessarily means I can only think and/or reason through so much of this and more importantly, that such becomes a faith and trust issue, and an important one. Job was wrestling over this very thing, and when God finally confronts Him, it is over Job's presumptuous 'as good/smart as God' problem. God confronted him and Job said "let me shut up!" What I 'can' grasp, is God is that God doesn't change Himself, He changes us. There is no point, for me, in even entertaining God 'changing His mind.' It just does me no good, and as I said, I believe it undermines confidence, faith, and trust in Him. God is perfect and holy. Those two characteristics/traits are essential to faith, hope, trust, and confidence. A God who "changes His mind" challenges these biblical givens AND digs at the foundations of faith in God. These ideas, then, for me, are much more Greek than mine or any traditional theist's because the gods were very human to the Greeks. It is ALWAYS odd for me to see an Open Theist accuse traditional theism of Greek influence when we believe the opposite about God. They and the Romans believed the gods weren't very godly after-all, but all too human, including being untrustworthy, always given whims and mind changes. In Hezekiah's instance, God's 'mind' didn't change, Hezekiah changed. How mad is God over sin and Hell? Do you want Him, honestly, more or less angry about what is killing us and doing the same to others? Do you honestly want a God who 'can' love you more, if He is ALREADY the definition of Love? How can any of these (and imho more Greek than traditional theology), be more desirable? How can the implication of imperfection ever bring an Open Theist comfort? It seems to me (not a slam, but what I get from impression), that the Open Theist would almost prefer the Greek and Roman gods who 'seem more relational.' What comfort could I have from a 'more' relational God if His perfection is compromised? I don't want a God 'just like me." I want and NEED a God in whose perfect, unchanging, Holy nature I can reach 1 John 3:2
What are you saying is the open of open theism? Whim? Why do you say that?
I've given some of the answer above. I don't really believe most Open Theists want a relational God at the expense of His nature and character (they don't want a 'more human' God). I think most are just trying to understand stories they read in scripture and try to give people hope in a God who truly cares, as best as they can grasp such, BUT I don't think eschewing traditional/classical theology is the right tactic, nor that blaming their thoughts of God on Greeks is the best grasp of theology proper. To understand God as relational, we do not need God to be human. The Lord Jesus Christ has already done all in relating to us, as our empathetic high priest BUT such a work of God, also contrasts the unchanging stable righteousness and holiness of God. IOW, scripture itself explains immutability in God. The BETTER tack (like you are doing here) is not to dismiss the omnis or use a Greek distraction ploy, it is to dive in and understand better what is on the table and WHY it is believed to be entirely scriptural (some Open Theist leaders, imho are remise and a few others lazy, I honestly believe they lazily will not, or cannot have grasped traditional explanation of the scriptures).

I think I understand your point here. Here's where I think it leads. If God always knows everything about everyone, even before they exist, in order to never have to change an outcome, then there has to be a basis for His knowledge. I can think of only two:
1. He can "see" the future and therefore knows exactly what everyone will think and do.
2. He creates ("ordains") the future, and therefore knows exactly what He will do.
Some of this goes with above for me: "Lon, you are fairly intelligent, have a couple of degrees behind your name, and did well in school, but you don't know everything and are cocky to try to out-think God. I don't know if these two are the only options.
Think with me a moment: Genesis 3:1-6

Regardless if one is Open Theist or Classic, where was God? Did He WANT sin in His creation??? I'm pretty bold in these questions, as bold perhaps as Job questioning God. I'm not trying to own them as accusation against God. I'm not so bold. I'm trying to understand AND at the end of the day, Open Theist or Calvinist, it doesn't matter, I'm not this arrogant. Neither of your logical propositions fit without making God look like "He wants sin in the Garden." Look at your two logical conclusions: Both look bad. It looks bad for Calvinism, but it looks just as bad for Open Theism: God was there! He knew! He could have stopped it!

The Open Theist and Arminian start 'freewill....' Freewill schmeewill, if my kid runs into the street after I said "no," you can bet I'm going to get him and stop him from death. The question cannot (for me) just be "freewill!" For me the answer has to be :idunno: :confused: lest I be wise in my own eyes. That's not to say I'm not arrogant, just that I'm not brilliant for it. I'm well aware of my need for the Godly attribute of humility and seeing others as better than myself.

Since we have two possible sources of this information, we have to consider how both affect the Hezekiah story.
#1 makes God a liar to Hezekiah, because He told Hezekiah something He KNEW was false.
#2 makes God a liar to Hezekiah, because He told Hezekiah something He KNEW was false.
Imho? Arrogance. You are asserting this by MAKING the rules. Job got into trouble for 'thinking he was right.' I have fallen into the same trap. As I said, I love the book of Job because of this. What is the real answer? 1) I suspect God doesn't lie (and suspect you don't believe He does either, even when thinking of Calvinists) and 2) that I CAN think of a reasonable answer, but it doesn't make it so, just my attempt: If I were God, and Hezekiah was going to die, and I knew that AND I knew that if I said something, such would all change, then 'how' I convey the message doesn't mean I'm lying. Again, analyze my exact words to my wife: "that pot is going to boil over." Because you understand, you didn't accuse me of lying to my wife. I submit that 'not understanding' often times, from the Open Theist, causes the same kinds of accusation.

Time-sensitivity doesn't work as an out, because we aren't talking about God's knowledge being time-sensitive.
No, but interaction 'in' time changes those things. Look with me: Did God REALLY change His mind? Why did He tell Hezekiah in the first place? God didn't tell my Grandmother "your time is up." He rarely does. So why? Why DID God tell Hezekiah He was going to die? Imho, just like I would tell my wife 'the pot is going to boil over.' Technically, analytically, wouldn't it have been better for me to say "if you don't get to that pot, it will boil over"? Why didn't I? For me, easy answer "Pot, boil-over" is short enough for her to do something about it. It is CLEAR communication and no lie. Let me ask you this: SUPPOSE you and Open Theists are wrong for a moment: Is it a good or sensible thing to question the veracity and truthfulness of God regarding my Calvinist understanding? IOW, when you were a Calvinist, were you audacious enough to think God lied??? For me: Things aren't always how they look, and I'll always try to reserve judgment. The truthful gracious and trusting answer is: I don't exactly know, but I'm pretty sure God did not lie. I don't really know how omniscience works because I'm not omniscient and have no way, other than revelation from God, to grasp how it plays out.

Essentially you are saying that based on the current trajectory, the pot is going to boil over. I agree with this line of thinking for humans, and the associated message. God does not have to think like this, since He supposedly knows that the trajectory is going to change. But, I'll play along for a minute to see how the story would unfold.

If I were to read your story and try to determine from it whether YOU are omniscient about future events, what conclusion would I reach? **That you are NOT omniscient about future events.**

What is a different way to deliver the message (the one that says to your wife that she needs to turn down the stove) that is more in keeping with your omniscience? How about, "Please turn down the stove before it boils over." Because you know your wife, and she trusts you, it would be sufficient. "But what if it's NOT sufficient?" you ask. If your wife doesn't trust you, then you might have to tell her something that's not true (that the pot is going to boil over), in order to get her to do something she doesn't want to do. But if that's what happened to Hezekiah, and God told him something that was NOT the truth, because He didn't have the power to accomplish His goals other ways. What does that say for Hezekiah?
See, to me, the ball is left in Hezekiah's and my wife's court. I didn't lie, and neither did God: If they did nothing, the even WOULD indeed happen. The REASON we tell Hezekiah he is going to die or my wife that the pot is going to boil over, is so THEY can react to it. It is odd, when Hezekiah and my wife are the key-players, that the Open Theist would bring God changing His mind into the picture in the first place to me. He is the mover of all things Colossians 1:17, but the focus of the story is not God's life-span nor my pot. Both belong specifically, to those being spoken to and it is their stewardship task being drawn upon.

Remember, both of these statements are dealing with a person who knows the future perfectly, and therefore knows if their attempts were successful. So you can't use the time-sensitive statements when talking about the future when dealing with a person who knows the future. You can't say God didn't really know which would happen.
I've never been timeless in my life so have no idea how such happens other than as God explains anything to me. I'm convinced there are things finite people like you and I cannot grasp. We are not infinite. We are not God. We are not, as intelligent as we are, that smart. We can interact with God in 'our' finiteness. To reattribute such limited qualities to God? :nono: We just cannot do it without dethroning the God of the universe to some degree. Job 38:3
But there is another problem with your interaction with a future you already know about--you are destined as much as she is, despite the difference in future knowledge. The difference between our #1 scenario and the #2 scenario above is that YOU (in your example) are the only one it makes a difference for. And here's the difference it makes:

#1 You know it is going to happen and know that your warning will work, but you are still required to give the warning--by some other power that is greater than you (a fixed future). Nor can you decide to change the scenario to allow the pot to boil over, if there is some reason to do so.
#2 You know it is going to happen and know that your warning will work, but you are still required to give the warning--because from before the beginning of time you decided that's what would happen. You are playing a role in your own movie (or perhaps book, which I'll talk about below), and are required to do so, in order for everything to work out like you planned.
Yet, like Genesis 3:1-6, we cannot accuse God, neither of us: Open Theist OR Calvinist. Imho, there is no disputation of God's Omniscience. The thread to me, is more about everyone's hesitancy by degrees, to accept it. Again Job 38:3 John 16:30; 21:17

Let me try this another way. Let's say that God has told a family they were going to have a baby. But then, the wife dies, and the man remarries, and then God tells him that he's not going to have a baby. Would God be guilty of false prophecy? At the time of the joyous news, the first wife was healthy, but then she got sick and died. After she died, the "time-sensitivity" of the prophecy expired, and it was no longer true. Would you not cry foul in this case? Essentially it sets up God for never having to fulfill ANY prophecies. All could be considered to have time-sensitive components.
I'm not sure of any equal footing to the example/story. Are you just trying to establish that if God lied, 'He lied'? :idunno:

I don't get this example. I guess you're saying that a perfect birthday cake is not perfect for a wedding, and I agree. In the same way a perfect reaction to a sinful deed can be more than one thing--justice or mercy. God can choose which one He wants to do. But a perfect reaction to a repentant sinner may be more restricted.
It is an important part of consideration for perfection. "We" are the imperfect ones. Perfection requires, by definition, that nothing change. The story of man, sin, and God is that man lost perfection. We can, as Job did, misapprehend perfection (like taking a birthday cake to a wedding), but perfection itself, cannot change. It'd be like suggesting God needs to make that perfect birthday cake rewritten for a wedding simply because 'we' imperfect beings want it for a wedding. :nono: That's 'our' imperfect expectation of what perfection already is.
I'll let you fight with @Rosenritter about the Greeks.
:up: It is important for the thread.
Then you admit God gained in His information???? Well, we're making some great progress!
Progress? By making the God of the universe more like an imperfect man? Is THAT the goal of Open Theism??? :noway:

For discussion, a change of information doesn't mean a lack of knowledge about it. It means 'we' are seeing and experiencing things 'we' didn't know about. It means God is interacting with an imperfect people to bring about perfection. Every, every, every scripture to man is to conform to God's perfect image in self-denial. Whatever you are trying to protect, imho, in an Open Theist mindset, is unworthy of such protection or esteem: Luke 9:23 John 3:30

But God, supposedly, doesn't need to react to a change of conditions by changing the result, since He knew those would be the conditions. Remember this is about what is going to happen in the future.
However, the whole story of God's relationship to us isn't God's need to change, it is ours, caught in sin, with DESPERATE need to rise to the occasion which we, in ourselves cannot do. It IS the redemption story: A God who reaches us to bring us up, not Himself down. Such is NO comfort at all. His only need (if such can be said) is related in John 3:16 A need to redeem, to seek and save that which was lost.
What was your "mindset"? to make a cake, or to make a carrot cake? In one sense, the over-all purpose of your act, you want to do something nice for the person. When you find out the new (to you) information about the allergy, you change your lower-level "purpose" of making a carrot cake to making an upside-down cake. But your over-all purpose hasn't changed. Both are changes, and I can argue that both are changes of mind, but only the latter (no longer wanting to do a good thing for a friend) is a change of mindset, perhaps.
My example is limited. It show my lack of omniscience but allows one to at least concede such in God, thus I gave it as inadequate as it was.

The reason this doesn't fit the settled future God is that He already KNEW about Hezekiah's allergy, and chose to make the carrot cake anyway--until Hezekiah told him about the allergy verbally. Then God decided to make the upside-down cake, AS IF the information was new.
Again, cake illustration, pushed this far lacks. It was only to get a partial understanding and grasp of the object to analyze: A change of mind vs a change of accommodation. If I made a carrot cake, certainly it is because 1) of care for the person and 2) a little of my 'forethought' regarding the need for change/accommodation. My point is that even without omniscience, for me, it isn't a change of mind. Such indicates a change of mind in my good desire and love to serve a friend. Change of mind overshadows my good intent. You'd not say "Oh Lon! You changed your mind!" with any kind of ribbing or worse; character maligning. You'd likely, being an equally good friend, not say to another "Lon changed his mind" BUT "Lon made me a cake AND another one!" A mention of my 'mind changing' would malign me and you, imho. It is a poor summation of what just happened, in love and a bit of sacrifice. It is part of the reason I don't prefer the term and especially in regard to God. "Change of mind" carries, always' negative connotations.

You wouldn't cancel for ANY reason? Well, that surprises me. (And no, I live in Colorado. Disneyland is a convenient reference, and it seems like people are always going there or to Orlando from CO for vacation.)
It would take an awful lot to change those kinds of plans. Some packages have no reimbursement insurance etc. It costs quite a bit.
I'll retract my rather insensitive question. Sorry.
No real harm, I just wanted it rephrased is all :) Thanks for being sensitive and concerned. I appreciate you.

I would think that all theologies are a work in progress. And your concern for open theists applies to all others, too, don't you think?
Yes, BUT some of them have stood the tests of time (inspection, debate) longer than others.

I'm not sure I see any progression in Calvinism. I get the feeling that they locked down on a particular rendition and aren't willing to consider the positives of others that are presented to them. This isn't true of all Calvinists, of course, but of "Calvinism" as an entity.
Likely true (same with Catholicism). For me? I'm open to the discussion. The older a denomination gets, the more 'leaving that denomination' is the only answer. One good thing about Open Theism is that the walls aren't so jelled as to push another divergent Open Theist out.

I'm not too hung up on labels, personally though. There are a few different groups of Calvinists so perhaps you'll simply see which group I more closely resemble in such a conversation. A lot of Open Theists and MAD have told me I'm not one :e4e:

Lon

That passage doesn't contribute to that question. There's multiple meanings and applications of perfect, and the specified meaning of perfect in that passage is "love."

Matthew 5:43-48 KJV
(43) Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.
(44) But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
(45) That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.
(46) For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?
(47) And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so?
(48) Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

He isn't saying that we should be perfect as our Father in heaven has never sinned, or as our Father in heaven who has never made a mistake, but that love makes perfect, and that we should strive for that same perfection in love just as our Father has shown us the meaning of love.

But if we were to take that meaning of "perfect" as you were suggesting, it would mean that God, who is Spirit, could not be made manifest in the flesh without becoming less than perfect in love. Surely that's not what you meant to suggest?

No, BUT I'm not suggesting 'perfect' is what changed. When the Lord became flesh, there was no 'change of mind' and this specifically is the context of most of this discussion. I 'think' we are more on page regarding at least 'our' perspective of change. The incarnation is always a difficulty for all of our theologies. I appreciate the ability to discuss our vantage respectively on this observation :e4e:
The point is that one should not assume that Greek philosophy is any correct way to interpret scripture. It is possible (at best) that there is no contradiction, but it certainly cannot be simply trusted. The "Perfect does not Change" and "A Perfect God does not experience Passion" are elements of Greek philosophy, not as God has revealed himself in scripture as interpreted by scripture.
If you are agreeing with me, great. It is a bit hard to tell, but again, my point is I didn't read nor care what the Greeks happen to believe about a certain theological concept. The only thing I'm at all interested in, is where they may have been correct, but my reading isn't Greek, it is the scriptures. I'd suspect that some of biblical theology would happen to coincide with some Greek idea, and that a good much of it does not. Coincidence, however, and as I've stated is of little importance to my theology. I read and grasp my Bible. It IS all I want to talk about and I can show that all my ideas are indeed Biblical. That's way more profitable and productive than ever even mentioning a Greek. Who cares? :idunno:

I've always found "Greek" an odd conversation starter from Open Theists. I sometimes bring up 'Mormons also believe this Open Theism tenant" but only in passing. There isn't much point other than brief illustration. "Open Theists are just Reinvented Mormons" is never going to fly. I'm pretty sure most Open Theists have never read the Book of Mormon. It just isn't profitable or worthwhile discussion for the most part.

Lon

Paul specifically warned against the influence of Greek philosophy. It was a mode of thought that permeated the higher learning of the time but it was carnal and not compatible with God and revealed knowledge. Anything sourced from the Greeks that cannot also be established clearly from scripture (including the Hebrew scripture) should be suspect and held to close examination.

(8) Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

A similar analogy could be made today with the humanistic influence present in schools and institutes of higher learning that deny God and teach that the world made itself from nothing over quadrillions of years.

:think: Acts 17:12 Romans 1:16 Romans 2:10; 10:12; Galatians 3:28

What scripture did you have in mind regarding the warning?
Did you 'infer' it?

Rosenritter

No, BUT I'm not suggesting 'perfect' is what changed. When the Lord became flesh, there was no 'change of mind' and this specifically is the context of most of this discussion. I 'think' we are more on page regarding at least 'our' perspective of change. The incarnation is always a difficulty for all of our theologies. I appreciate the ability to discuss our vantage respectively on this observation :e4e:

But wouldn't we also say that the God is perfect in form as well as character? Surely you wouldn't say that his form as Spirit was imperfect? Therefore, a change in form is also a change within this discussion. God existed in a perfect form. The Unitarian may avoid this difficulty by claiming Jesus was not God, but for the rest of us that acknowledge the Word and Jesus as the Creator of All Things and "Before Abraham was, I AM" now we do have a change from a perfect form into another form, namely "God was manifest in the flesh."

John 4:24 KJV
(24) God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

Unless God was always "manifest in the flesh" this is a change, and we know at one time "flesh" had no existence.

If you are agreeing with me, great. It is a bit hard to tell, but again, my point is I didn't read nor care what the Greeks happen to believe about a certain theological concept. ....
Spoiler
The only thing I'm at all interested in, is where they may have been correct, but my reading isn't Greek, it is the scriptures. I'd suspect that some of biblical theology would happen to coincide with some Greek idea, and that a good much of it does not. Coincidence, however, and as I've stated is of little importance to my theology. I read and grasp my Bible. It IS all I want to talk about and I can show that all my ideas are indeed Biblical. That's way more profitable and productive than ever even mentioning a Greek. Who cares? :idunno:

Excellent.

I've always found "Greek" an odd conversation starter from Open Theists. I sometimes bring up 'Mormons also believe this Open Theism tenant" but only in passing. There isn't much point other than brief illustration. "Open Theists are just Reinvented Mormons" is never going to fly. I'm pretty sure most Open Theists have never read the Book of Mormon. It just isn't profitable or worthwhile discussion for the most part.

I haven't gotten around to reading my copy of the Book of Mormon, and I suspect it is as you say, few Christians know much about Mormonism. On the other hand, Greek philosophical influence is easily shown as to having influenced early Christian traditions, even to the degree where doctrinal descriptions start to echo the terms used by Plato, and you yourself have defended the "closed view" as being "traditional". So if a presumption of orthodoxy enters into the discussion, it is only to be expected that a cross-examination of that presumed orthodoxy also becomes fair play.

I tried to keep that short... may I borrow a bit from your response to Derf?

These ideas, then, for me, are much more Greek than mine or any traditional theist's because the gods were very human to the Greeks. It is ALWAYS odd for me to see an Open Theist accuse traditional theism of Greek influence when we believe the opposite about God. They and the Romans believed the gods weren't very godly after-all, but all too human, including being untrustworthy, always given whims and mind changes. In Hezekiah's instance, God's 'mind' didn't change, Hezekiah changed.

The Open Theist doesn't want a Roman god, the Roman gods were devils. The Open Theist wants a God that is less like the Platonic ideal of "changeless" and "without passion" and more like Christ, God manifest in the flesh, the image of the invisible God.

Matthew 15:21-28 KJV
(21) Then Jesus went thence, and departed into the coasts of Tyre and Sidon.
(22) And, behold, a woman of Canaan came out of the same coasts, and cried unto him, saying, Have mercy on me, O Lord, thou Son of David; my daughter is grievously vexed with a devil.
(23) But he answered her not a word. And his disciples came and besought him, saying, Send her away; for she crieth after us.
(24) But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.
(25) Then came she and worshipped him, saying, Lord, help me.
(26) But he answered and said, It is not meet to take the children's bread, and to cast it to dogs.
(27) And she said, Truth, Lord: yet the dogs eat of the crumbs which fall from their masters' table.
(28) Then Jesus answered and said unto her, O woman, great is thy faith: be it unto thee even as thou wilt. And her daughter was made whole from that very hour.

How many times did Jesus answer this woman? Once in silence, a second time when he said that he was sent only to Israel, and a third time when he said it was not fit to take the children's bread to cast unto the dogs. Most people would read that account and gather that his answer was "NO."

What changed between "No" number one, "No" number two, "No" number three, and the "Yes" of the fourth time? The woman's faith hadn't changed... The only things that changed were the amount of instances she persisted in real time and Christ's answer to her faith.
Spoiler
I would grant possibility that the woman's faith was not yet determined and was actually being decided by her very actions at that moment. In such a case it might be said that her faith did change.

Ask anyone who isn't specifically in the process of defending a Calvinist position of "God does not change" and you would have a near unanimous answer that Jesus changed his mind from "No" to "Yes." You may try to reason that Jesus had already determined to say yes, or that this was not a change of his character, but that isn't what the English phrase "change of mind" actually means. God is willing to change his mind as to what action he will take depending upon our actions. That isn't a wild-eyed heresy, that's how the Bible speaks. It's nothing to be afraid of.

Rosenritter

:think: Acts 17:12 Romans 1:16 Romans 2:10; 10:12; Galatians 3:28

What scripture did you have in mind regarding the warning?
Did you 'infer' it?

Philosophy was the popular school of thought in that day. If you participated in higher learning, you were educated in the ways of philosophy. Today the word is used in a more generic sense, but it was more specific in that context.