Theology Club: A Question for Open Theists

Word based mystic

Adam was not created a "robot," but a moral agent reflective of the image of his Creator. Adam was created with a will that would cause and effect, just as the sovereign will of God causes and effects all things, but this gift was given under commands to subject that moral causal power to the will and commands (Law) of God.

Adam abused his causal responsibilities and brought sin and death into the world, by not submitting to God's holy standards (Law). Romans 5:12

IWO's, Adam did not passionately exhibit love for God, or protection of his wife, not any desire to obey God . . . but rather only revealed selfish and irrational desire, to be like God.

Adam did not fail a "test" but exhibited the limited nature of a created being who cannot ever hope to be God or equal with his Creator.

Thus, in the exhibition of Adam failing to keep Covenant with God, we learn the necessity of God providing a Mediator between Creator and creature . . . in the provided Seed of woman, Jesus Christ, the God/Man who alone truly loved, obeyed, and protected those God gave Him to redeem, who alone proved by His righteousness, He alone could fulfill the Divine and Holy moral standars, and conquer and remedy the ramifications of Satanic deceit and powers in the garden. Genesis 3:15

All this talk and fuss about "humanistic libertarian free will" is simply a distracting continuation of the original lie proposed to Adam in the beginning.

Seems that reasonable believers should be way past falling for that lie, by now . . . :idunno:

thank you for your time and effort in the response
i always appreciate that. I will consider your comments

as to your question on humanistic libertarian free will, please define a bit on that.

I see free will is within the parameters that God has given us responsibilities to be good stewards over certain things. i.e. subdue the earth.
the limits of free will comes when judgement day is brought.
So free will has limits and death is one of them.
judgement day is another.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
that's why i asked earlier for your review. i am here on TOL to learn and adjust any views that are problematic. One liner B.S. doesn't help.

I would appreciate your scriptural thoughts on how the Fathers love is maintained in foreknowledge of his creating his children while knowing they will go to hell. With no opportunity to repent, believe and receive eternal life.

the scriptures show in certain areas the Word/Christ has limited His foreknowledge of certain things.

If Christ/firstborn of all creation knows the end of all his children He is creating and knows all they will do as He creates them then why would there be anger or hate of the wicked.

for He programmed them and made them to be that way and act that way in everything they do i.e. puppets and robots pre-programmed.

in psalms 11:5 He is described as testing men.

The LORD ((tests)) the righteous and the wicked, And the one who loves violence ((His soul hates)). 6 Upon the wicked He will rain snares; Fire and brimstone

IF The Word as He is creating a soul knows what he (his created child) will do and created them to do so why would He be angry at the soul for doing what the soul was created to do.

no one liners please.

looking for real scriptural thoughtful answers.

"looking for real scriptural thoughtful answers"

Where does it say that God the Son in his pre existence was a created being? Your logic is heresy.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Not just me, but most Open Theists too. It is Process Theology, which most Open Theists are not. I think it would be good for you to look into the difference to determine if you are OV or Process (or perhaps both?). I think a lot of Open Theist laymen are advocates for Process Theology without probably realizing it. I just think it a good idea for a few on TOL to know they've crossed that line and become Process Theologians. Either that, or they'll have to realize they need to pull away from that edge to remain Open Theist.
Could you elaborate, and be a bit more clear? Please.

God is not limited by, or to, anything outside of Himself. He the power to limit Himself, including His knowledge. He can also limit other things by which He effectively limits what He can do. In order to do things outside those limits He must first change the other things.

The context is duh?
No. That was my response to you asking a stupid question. And I went on to tell you what the context was, though you should have been smart enough to know the context.

That's a sign of weakness.
What is?

You provide one verse to assume God learns things that God is unaware of.
Actually it was two verses. Do you want some more?

Out of the ground the Lord God formed every beast of the field and every bird of the air, and brought them to Adam to see what he would call them. And whatever Adam called each living creature, that was its name.
-Genesis 2:19

If God did not know what was happening to the people in Sodom, why was it microwave time?
Can you not read? He went to see, and He learned. He then decided it was time to drop some fire on them.

If you continue reading the chapter in question [Genesis 18] you will see more evidence that God was unaware of the situation, as Abraham bargained with Him. And God didn't simply dismiss Abraham by telling him He knew how many righteous there were; He actually engaged in the bargaining.

Then there is also Genesis 22:11-12:
But the Angel of the Lord called to him from heaven and said, “Abraham, Abraham!”So he said, “Here I am.”
And He said, “Do not lay your hand on the lad, or do anything to him; for now I know that you fear God, since you have not withheld your son, your only son, from Me.”

If God did not know only Lot and company was saved (righteous) then why did the Angels go directly to Lot's house?

1. They saw the debauchery in the town as soon as they entered, and walked through.
  2. Lot was Abraham's brother [which is actually the primary reason they went to his house].
  3. No one was saved prior to the cross.

Why does Abraham question God?
Because he was under the impression that God was unaware of the details of the situation. And God never corrected him on that, because Abraham wasn't wrong.

What was Abraham's question?
Do you really need me to answer that?

“Would You also destroy the righteous with the wicked?”
-Genesis 18:23

Here's what I think is happening in that story.

ABE knew that the city was wicked.
ABE knows Lot lives in the town.
Abe knows God will destroy the city.
Abe is seeking to deliver Lot.

God asks if Abe should be left out of the plans.

God tells Abe that judgment has arrived.

God puts up with Abe's questioning of the righteous (saved) population within the town.

God knows who are his saved people there already (or he doesn't know us either).
God knows us because He dwells within us, and we in Him. Such was not true of His followers at this time. Not B.C.

And if God knew these things as you propose why did Abraham believe otherwise?

In response to Abe's questioning God replies:

"I have heard the cries of the people (not the victims of the city - the cries of the wicked - the stench of their abominations) I will go down and see if it is so"
Actually God said that before Abraham asked any questions regarding the cities.

This was God's chosen words to comfort Abe concerning what Abe must have known was coming. That's why God asked the question should I hide what I will do from Abe?

Abe knew it was a matter of time.

By God saying to Abe "I will go down and see"

Is a nice way of saying:

You know what is there, I hear the noise, I will go down and see if the noise is what it is - homo livin
Actually it wasn't just homosexuality.

That is it.

One statement seen in light of the context of the relationship God has to Abe and their conversation.
Actually you completely missed God stating, "and if not, I will know."

Why did God later send Abe to kill Isaac?

Did God not know?

Or was it Abe who had been learning to trust God?
Abraham didn't even know what he would do until he was doing it. That is clear in the story. God learned that Abraham's faith was strong at the same time Abraham did. God even says so, as I pointed out above with the quote from the story, when the words "now I know" proceeded from His mouth.

Why does Abe not think God would not have saved God's children out of Sodom?
Because God had been known to "rain" on the just as well as the unjust when punishing the unjust in times past. Abraham was asking Him to spare the cities for the sake of a number of righteous [which meant not destroying even the wicked if the number of righteous were met].

Abe should have trusted God but his relationship of trust had not matured.
He trusted God to be God.

Just look at SARAH his "sister" and how Abe failed her. God does not force maturity on any of us. That episode of Abe's life was to show the stage in Abe's spiritual maturity and God is merely gently telling Abe you will see.
Abraham's issue was fear of people, not a lack of trust in God. His focus was in the wrong place.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
I appreciate that LH
But I can't accept the conclusions.

“Behold, I am of small account; what shall I answer you? I lay my hand on my mouth. I have spoken once, and I will not answer; twice, but I will proceed no further.” (*Job‬ *40‬:*4-5‬ ESV)

Word based mystic

"looking for real scriptural thoughtful answers"

Where does it say that God the Son in his pre existence was a created being? Your logic is heresy.

I didn't say He was a created being. putting words in the mouth. please dont

Col. 1:15-18: “He is the image of the invisible God, (((the firstborn over all creation))). (For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth), visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers.

He is the physical image of God in this world.

as to foreknowledge.

genesis 6:6 is one of many scriptures that show active disappointment and or surprise. "The LORD was sorry that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart."

Why would the Word/creator grieve or be sorry if He already had foreknowledge?

luke 7:9 Now when Jesus heard this, He marveled at him, and turned and said to the crowd that was following Him, “I say to you, not even in Israel have I found such great faith.
(((Jesus marveled))). and in searching for faith had not ((found)) any of greater faith.
obvious limited foreknowledge as he deals with men.

mark 13:32 But of that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but the Father alone.

The word/creator is saddened and or angered at man in certain instances as well as marvels and searches for a humble heart.

to be relational and have these kind of above emotions and searching thoughts and actions allows for and expects self limiting foreknowledge, so that The Word/firstborn of all creation can actually have emotional interaction with His children.

anger and other such emotions and actions as searching would not be necessary or be expressed if the Word had total foreknowledge of all activity or things that will happen.

only the Father whom is Spirit Knows all things

Also
1 corinthians 10-11 relates
for the Spirit (((searches))) all things, (even) the (depths) of God. 11 For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so the thoughts of God no one knows except the Spirit of God.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I appreciate that LH
But I can't accept the conclusions.

“Behold, I am of small account; what shall I answer you? I lay my hand on my mouth. I have spoken once, and I will not answer; twice, but I will proceed no further.” (*Job‬ *40‬:*4-5‬ ESV)
What do you think that means?

Word based mystic

genesis 3:14 “Because you have done this,
Cursed are you more than all cattle,

(because you have done this).

gen 3:17 (Because) you have listened to the voice of your wife.

2 kings 13:19 So the man of God was angry with him and said, "You should have struck five or six times, then you would have struck Aram until you would have destroyed it. But now you shall strike Aram only three times.

God throughout scripture responds to mans decisions. the boundary of freewill is the end of the ages and judgement. within that boundary God responds and rewards/blesses according to mens actions.

passion, relationship, desire, worship and praise are all contingent upon
mens responding in choice.
these types of responses are not relevant and pleasing to God (if) man was preprogrammed in every thing and detail he would do.
otherwise God is would be making robots and stringing puppets to worship Him
and How could God be pleased with that.

matthew 25:21 His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful slave. You were faithful with a few things, I will put you in charge of many things; enter into the joy of your [a]master.’
God responds to mans faithfulness/stewardship
rewarding him according to his stewardship.
If The Word rewards him according to his work there is the possibility of bad stewardship.
why reward or bless anyone if they have already been programmed in all they do. Silly.

revelation 3:21 Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if (anyone hears) My voice and (opens the door), I will come in to him and will dine with him, and he with Me. 21'He who overcomes, I will grant to him to sit down with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
What do you think that means?

Based upon what God is able to do in Genesis 1:1, two things are revealed about God. First: God is self-sufficient. There is no need for anyone else or anything else. There is a common misconception that the reason God created man is because He needed fellowship. God does not “need” anything; by virtue of being God, He is totally self-sufficient. There is no need of anyone else or anything else. Second, Genesis 1:1 shows that God is eternal and unchangeable. The first three words in the Hebrew text, In the beginning, created, and God, are the foundation of all theology. God is self-existent. He is unknowable except where He chooses to reveal Himself, and He is answerable to no one.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
I didn't say He was a created being. putting words in the mouth. please dont

Col. 1:15-18: “He is the image of the invisible God, (((the firstborn over all creation))). (For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth), visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers.

He is the physical image of God in this world.

as to foreknowledge.

genesis 6:6 is one of many scriptures that show active disappointment and or surprise. "The LORD was sorry that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart."

Why would the Word/creator grieve or be sorry if He already had foreknowledge?

luke 7:9 Now when Jesus heard this, He marveled at him, and turned and said to the crowd that was following Him, “I say to you, not even in Israel have I found such great faith.

(((Jesus marveled))). and in searching for faith had not ((found)) any of greater faith.

obvious limited foreknowledge as he deals with men.

mark 13:32 But of that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but the Father alone.

The word/creator is saddened and or angered at man in certain instances as well as marvels and searches for a humble heart.

to be relational and have these kind of above emotions and searching thoughts and actions allows for and expects self limiting foreknowledge, so that The Word/firstborn of all creation can actually have emotional interaction with His children.

anger and other such emotions and actions as searching would not be necessary or be expressed if the Word had total foreknowledge of all activity or things that will happen.

only the Father whom is Spirit Knows all things

Also

1 corinthians 10-11 relates

for the Spirit (((searches))) all things, (even) the (depths) of God. 11 For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so the thoughts of God no one knows except the Spirit of God.

Why would you think to know why God grieved in his heart?

Do you expect to -

For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.” (*Genesis‬ *3‬:*5‬ ESV)

Lon

Could you elaborate, and be a bit more clear? Please.

God is not limited by, or to, anything outside of Himself. He the power to limit Himself, including His knowledge. He can also limit other things by which He effectively limits what He can do. In order to do things outside those limits He must first change the other things.

Difference between Process Theology and Open Theology

Although, to me, some of these differentiations seem synthetic and arbitrary.

Look at my 'OMNI' Sig below. Which are true to you as an Open Theist, and which aren't?

In a crude and general way: Open Theism 'tries' to affirm all of them while process theologians do not.

Open Theists do minimize the Omni's but don't generally reject them out of hand.

Word based mystic

Why would you think to know why God grieved in his heart?

Do you expect to -

For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.” (*Genesis‬ *3‬:*5‬ ESV)

It is enough to see through scripture that God grieves and it is related to our choices and rebellious thoughts and sins.

ephesians 4:30 so that it will give grace to (those who hear). 30 Do not (grieve) the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. 31 Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice.

One liner questions do not in any way answer or refute anything.
It simply shows you have little to contribute or/either
you prevaricate.

You ignore the scriptures i present
which you asked me earlier to bring out.

genesis 6:7 The LORD was sorry that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart.

Why would God grieve already knowing the outcome and details of what man would individually and corporately do.

God desiring free will worship and relationships with love and passion grieved because the outcome He looked forward to was now going to be necessitated to wait thousands of years.

1 timothy 2:4 who (((desires))) all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. 5For there is one God, and one mediator also between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,…

(desires) is different from commands or robotically made all men to be saved.

BrianJOrr

I quit reading your postings when you made it clear you wouldn't discuss the analogy of lungs/faith, which YOU initially brought up. Do so, then I'll be happy to instruct you on why you're wrong on Romans 9.

You first. Then I will.

Just to make sure we're clear on the question:

Can a just, non-lying God not give "lungs" to those He reprobates, then damn them specifically for refusing to "breathe?"

So much for you keeping your word on Romans 9. What was it you called me again . . . a liar? You should of left your stone in the sand.

musterion

Didn't lie. Was just waiting to see if you were still interested after your embarrassingly honest blunder.

Post the exact concise question you want answered.

Last edited:

musterion

I asked him just one question, so for me I'd like him to focus his complaint into just one question as well.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Based upon what God is able to do in Genesis 1:1, two things are revealed about God. First: God is self-sufficient. There is no need for anyone else or anything else. There is a common misconception that the reason God created man is because He needed fellowship. God does not “need” anything; by virtue of being God, He is totally self-sufficient. There is no need of anyone else or anything else. Second, Genesis 1:1 shows that God is eternal and unchangeable. The first three words in the Hebrew text, In the beginning, created, and God, are the foundation of all theology. God is self-existent. He is unknowable except where He chooses to reveal Himself, and He is answerable to no one.
How does any of this paint God as unchangeable?