Theology Club: Matthew 4:17 Proves the Future is Open

Jerry Shugart

That's a big leap without grounds for support. What do you call this new religion because it is not Christianity.

Since you think that what I teach is not Christianity then please tell me exactly what I said that contradicts what is taught in the Bible.

Where I grew up if you want to accuse someone of teaching things which are contradicted by the Scriptures you are expected to prove that accusation.

And you have proved NOTHING!

Picking out a scripture and building a theology around it is how cults are begun. I have explained this passage before...

Not on this thread. Most cults also thrive when certain verses are just ignored, verses which destroy the teaching of the cult.

And you seem to be wanting to just IGNORE the following passage because you refuse to answer my simple question:

Do you think that the kingdom will be nigh at hand when the Lord Jesus returns to the earth with this verse in view?:

"And then shall they see the Son of man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh. And he spake to them a parable; Behold the fig tree, and all the trees; When they now shoot forth, ye see and know of your own selves that summer is now nigh at hand. So likewise ye, when ye see these things come to pass, know ye that the kingdom of God is nigh at hand" (Lk.21:27-31).​

Please answer that question and we will proceed from there.

Since you think that what I teach is not Christianity then please tell me exactly what I said that contradicts what is taught in the Bible.

Where I grew up if you want to accuse someone of teaching things which are contradicted by the Scriptures you are expected to prove that accusation.

Not on this thread. Most cults also thrive when certain verses are just ignored, verses which destroy the teaching of the cult.

And you seem to be wanting to just IGNORE the following passage because you refuse to answer my simple question:

Do you think that the kingdom will be nigh at hand when the Lord Jesus returns to the earth with this verse in view?:

"And then shall they see the Son of man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh. And he spake to them a parable; Behold the fig tree, and all the trees; When they now shoot forth, ye see and know of your own selves that summer is now nigh at hand. So likewise ye, when ye see these things come to pass, know ye that the kingdom of God is nigh at hand" (Lk.21:27-31).​

Please answer that question and we will proceed from there.
Asked and answered.

Jerry Shugart

I've answered this question several times today, for others.

I searched and searched but I cannot find anyplace where you answered this question?:

Do you think that the kingdom will be nigh at hand when the Lord Jesus returns to the earth?

If I missed it then I am sorry. Perhaps you would be so kind as to copy your answer and paste it on a new post.

Thanks!

Haven't you been doing that with respect to Calvinists?

I searched and searched but I cannot find anyplace where you answered this question?:
Do you think that the kingdom will be nigh at hand when the Lord Jesus returns to the earth?
If I missed it then I am sorry. Perhaps you would be so kind as to copy your answer and paste it on a new post.

Thanks!

Post 20 on this thread is the only answer you need.

No, I quote the Scriptiures to support what I say. And I never duck questions because those questions might appear to contradict my ideas.

That's the difference between us: you look for scriptures to support what you're saying; I read scriptures to understand what God wants me to know. I try to communicate that but often fail.

The answer to this question is not found at Post 20:

You just flat out refuse to answer that question. Of what are you afraid?

The answer is there for you to see. Read it until you understand it.

Jerry Shugart

The answer is there for you to see. Read it until you understand it.

I understand what you said but what you said will be searched in vain for the answer to this question:

All you are doing is playing games in the hope that no one will notice that you refuse to answer that simple question.

Anapto

Time no longer

(KJV with Strongs numbers and definitions) Some of this may get redundant but I'll come full circle in the end...I think. :)

Rev 10:6
And swore by him that liveth forever and ever,
who created heaven,
and the things that therein are,
and the earth,
and the things that therein are,
and the sea,
and the things which are therein,
that there should be time no longer
Rev 10:7
But in the days of the voice of the seventh angel,
when he shall begin to sound,

the mystery of God should be finished,
as he hath declared to his servants the prophets.

What happens at the seventh trumpet? …

Rev 11:15
And the seventh angel sounded;
and there were great voices in heaven, saying,
The kingdoms of this world
are become the kingdoms of our Lord, and of his Christ;
and he shall reign forever and ever.

Breaking it down:

Time no longer -

In Rev.10:6, The mighty angel makes a declaration by God, the Creator of all things. It doesn’t get more emphatic than that so we’re to give special attention to the oath.

Time:

G5550
chronos
khron'-os
Of uncertain derivation; a space of time (in genitive case, and thus properly distinguished from G2540, which designates a fixed or special occasion; and from G165, which denotes a particular period) or interval; by extension an Individual opportunity; by implication delay: - + years old, season, space, (X often-) time (-s), (a) while.

It pretty much means a one time event where there is no more delay but we haven’t gotten to the “fixed” part (G2540) quite yet.

(Time) No Longer: or No longer (time)

G2089
eti
et'-ee
Perhaps akin to G2094; “yet”, still (of time or degree): - after that, also, ever, (any) further, (t-) henceforth (more), hereafter, (any) longer, (any) more (-one), now, still, yet.

No time still. No time henceforth. No time any longer. Take your pick but we get what’s meant. Keep in mind we’re talking about when the seventh angel will sound.

So, next is the event of the seventh angle sounding when the mystery of God, that was announced to the prophets, should be finished and the kingdoms of this world are become the Kingdom of our Lord Jesus Christ where He will Reign on earth without end.

Finished:

G5055
teleō
tel-eh'-o
From G5056; to end, that is, complete, execute, conclude, discharge (a debt) - accomplish, make an end, expire, fill up, finish, go over, pay, perform.

So there can be no argument that this is a very emphatic and definite end point…

G5056
telos
tel'-os
From a primary word tellō (to set out for a definite point or goal); properly the point aimed at as a limit, that is, (by implication) the conclusion of an act or state (termination [literally, figuratively or indefinitely], result [immediate, ultimate or prophetic], purpose); specifically an impost or levy (as paid): - + continual, custom, end (-ing), finally, uttermost. Compare G5411.

What else happens at the last (seventh) trumpet?….

1Co 15:51
Behold, I show you a mystery;
We shall not all sleep, (be deceased)
but we shall all be changed, (see also 1 Thess.4:13-18)
1Co 15:52
In a moment,
in the twinkling of an eye,
at the last trump:
for the trumpet shall sound,
and the dead shall be raised incorruptible,
and we shall be changed.
1Co 15:53
For this corruptible must put on incorruption,
and this mortal must put on immortality.

Christ returns at the last and seventh trumpet. We who are alive and remain are changed from our flesh body to our spiritual bodies. This is a definitive end point.

Last: (trump)

G2078
eschatos
es'-khat-os
A superlative probably from G2192 (in the sense of contiguity);
farthest, final (of place or time) - ends of, last, latter end, lowest, uttermost.

The Greek word Telos is also mentioned in the prophesies of Christ’s second Advent. The questions asked are, What will be the signs of His coming and When, and the end of the world…

One speaks of the consummation and one is its very end point.

Mat 24:3
And as he sat upon the mount of Olives,
the disciples came unto him privately, saying,
Tell us, when shall these things be?
And what shall be the sign of thy coming,
and of the end of the world?
Mat 24:4
And Jesus answered and said unto them,
Take heed that no man deceive you.
Mat 24:5
For many shall come in my name,
saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.

Mat 24:6
And ye shall hear of wars and rumors of wars:
see that ye be not troubled:
for all these things must come to pass,
but the end is not yet.

“The end of the world” in verse 3 speaks of the consummation.

End: (of the world)

G4930
sunteleia
soon-tel'-i-ah
From G4931 entire completion, that is, consummation (of a dispensation): - end.

G4931
sunteleō
soon-tel-eh'-o
From G4862 and G5055; to complete entirely;
generally to execute (literally or figuratively): -
end, finish, fulfil, make.

But Verse 6 speaks to its very end point

“But the end is not yet”

End

G5056
telos
tel'-os
From a primary word tellō (to set out for a definite point or goal) properly the point aimed at as a limit, that is, (by implication) the conclusion of an act or state (termination [literally, figuratively or indefinitely], result [immediate, ultimate or prophetic], purpose); specifically an impost or levy (as paid): - + continual, custom, end (-ing), finally, uttermost. Compare G5411.

So, we must know the above context to put the following in its proper context…

Mat 24:33
So likewise ye,
when ye shall see all these things,
know that it is near,
even at the doors.

Verse 33 speaks to the consummation of the very end ( G4931 sunteleō )

Mat 24:34
Verily I say unto you,
This generation shall not pass,
till all these things be fulfilled.

Mat 24:35
Heaven and earth shall pass away,
but my words shall not pass away.

Mat 24:36
But of that day and hour knoweth no man,
no, not the angels of heaven,
but my Father only.

“That day and hour” speaks to the fulfillment of all those things Christ just told his disciples that lead up to their end point, the very moment Christ returns, the 2nd Advent. We’re not given that very last day and hour for obvious reasons.

The icing on the cake…

Mar 13:32
But of that day and that hour knoweth no man,
no, not the angels which are in heaven,
neither the Son,
but the Father.

Mar 13:33
Take ye heed,
watch and pray:
for ye know not when the time is.

Bahzing! There’s our word of a fixed time

Time”

G2540
kairos
kahee-ros'
Of uncertain affinity; an occasion, that is, set or proper time
- X always, opportunity, (convenient, due) season,
(due, short, while) time, a while. Compare G5550.

Remember what G5550 said about G2540? ….

G5550
chronos
khron'-os
Of uncertain derivation; a space of time (in genitive case, and thus properly distinguished from G2540, which designates a fixed or special occasion and from G165, which denotes a particular period) or interval;by extension an Individual opportunity; by implication delay: + years old, season, space, (X often-)
time (-s), (a) while.

Since Mark 13:33 is qualified as a time, It’s our designated fixed time and event of the seventh trumpet when Christ returns and the kingdoms of this world become the kingdoms of our Christ and the mystery of our God is finished and also the very instant when those who are alive and remain at Christ’s Advent are changed from their flesh bodies to their spiritual bodies and all the events Christ told His disciples would consummate the end up to their very end point, are fulfilled. The time of this, according to the scriptures, is already fixed i.e. predetermined. Whew!

God knows this already fixed end point in this lil ol time box we‘re in (i.e. the Heaven and Earth which is now 2Peter3:7) . He has designated the day and the hour of its end. The Context of a fixed ‘day and hour’ is mentioned so we can’t use other verses
out of context like the one day with the Lord is as a thousand years and a thousand years (with man) as one day, to make it fit what we want.

An unfixed future? I don’t believe so.
A Saturday Sabbath? I don’t believe so.

The time (thousand years) between the heaven and earth which is now that is reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men, and the ushering in of the new Heaven and earth age.?

Hmmmm, Could be. …

Anapto

Posts this long indicate the writer has no communication skills.

Wow :(

So maybe the reader making a remark like this has a small attention span? A lot of folks do so I get it. Or they disagree with my position so they just make the ad hominem reply you did... "Too long, thus no communication skills" as if they set the standard. Or they're just not interested.

I've noticed Mr. Shugart has been absent so I'll wait for his return and reply....

...But, it takes setting up the subject, then the body of the subject presented in this thread, and then the object of the subject 'somewhat' completed to answer the author of the threads question.. or, just to simply discuss. You guys did that elsewhere? Great! I got that. That has absolutely zero to do with me in this thread or you thinking it's too long, which it's not. It's spread out for easier understanding.

Study to show ourselves approved to God means we have to work at it. I guess if I went into every greek word of that verse I'd lose you but we have to try and rightly divide the Word as best we can. I want to get it right. I work very hard to qualify my work. So compare what I have shown in this subject to your post. Where is your skill?

Slow down, read. We're students. Check a persons work if you're interested. Be quick to listen and then slow to speak. You'll be the better student/scholar for it instead of a one line ad hominem that truly shows the lack of skill. See it?

I'd be embarrassed, having put my hand to that plow to reply to my study with this..

Posts this long indicate the writer has no communication skills

Who ever taught you that is the one who lacks skill in the Word of God because so much understanding is lost in translations. We have to have the tools in, and to present, His Word and at least double check our work with other translations, bible dictionaries, and concordances. I go as far as looking at the Hebrew and Greek letters in checking them against others work. Yeah, hard for some, I know, but I want to be correct because I Love God and Truth in Christ and believe doctrine matters. I'm not afraid to be wrong, just show me where I'm wrong.

Respectfully, and long winded yours in Christ...;) j/k

God bless!

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
TOL does seem to frown on long posts.
But mainly by trolls that just like to post essays and not hang around to actually discuss the points.

I, myself, rather like them when they are on target and methodical and meticulous about setting up an argument for or against something.

But I'm old school and like the meticulous method, as opposed to hit and miss short stabs at it (ESPECIALLY when studying scripture).

Anapto

Yeah, it's not just TOL but most sites like this, Tambora. And I've come across quite a few long post here.

Everyone has their own style. I'm not going to change mine. I like a sharp sword. To take a stab at a study, yes. A person, not so much.

Wow :(

So maybe the reader making a remark like this has a small attention span?

God bless!

You are correct. Since I had my first seizure three plus years ago, the meds I take have definitely reduced my attention span. I usually skip posts like yours that are too long for me to follow. If you can't make a point in one or two paragraphs, why should I try to make sense of it? With that said, I'll just move on and leave you with your audience.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You are correct. Since I had my first seizure three plus years ago, the meds I take have definitely reduced my attention span. I usually skip posts like yours that are too long for me to follow. If you can't make a point in one or two paragraphs, why should I try to make sense of it? With that said, I'll just move on and leave you with your audience.
Don't move on if you have input to share about the subject.

If the post is too long for you all at once, just read it in parts at a time and respond in parts at a time.
You don't have to consume the whole thing all at once.

You have made some good points here at TOL.
While I may not always agree with your conclusion, you are one that I do not skip over reading.
So, be sure to add some input when you can.