Theology Club: The Real Meaning of Predestination in the Bible

Cross Reference

Sorry, which verse of the Bible is this from?

Which verse are you referring to?

Give it up, CR, you haven't got a leg to stand on other than your own wish that the Bible say something that it doesn't in fact say. You may teach this stuff to willing sufferers but when you get a real audience like here on TOL, the standards of evidence rise considerably. We are not so gullible.

I showed where it did say it. What else do you want, more translations, maybe from the Greek? What cult do you espouse that you believe is worth digging in your heels over?

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Then accept what I gave you that rebuffs your understanding and prove yourself as being that..

I will accept what you say when you demonstrate a single shred of intelligence and honesty in your handling of the inspired words of God. I don't know how you can look your wife and children in the face. They look up to you for wisdom and nourishment and you give them pigswill.

Danoh

First Class Only...

First Class Only...

"In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose/plan of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will" Ephesians 1:11 (KJV)

Apologies kindly accepted. And my sentence will make more sense when you read that way.

The actual emphasis is in the first two words of that passage - "IN WHOM..."

In other words, God predetermined to bring to pass some things in His Son.

The moment you believe Christ died for you, the Spirit places you IN Christ.

You are then a part of, in fact, a fellow heir with Him, IN what the Father has determined to bring to pass IN His Son.

A simple example of this would be, say you decide you'd like to take a plane trip somewhere.

You call an airline to find out what flights they have predestinated to fly to your desired location.

You buy a ticket to a seat IN that plane. When you get to the airport they place you IN that plane.

You are now a part of the destination that airline predetermined for that plane's "Body" you are now a traveling "Member" of.

Say, you do not decide to place your trust in airlines and their predestinated fights.

Nevertheless, off to that destination that plane will take off to as predestinated by that airline.

musterion

I will accept what you say when you demonstrate a single shred of intelligence and honesty in your handling of the inspired words of God. I don't know how you can look your wife and children in the face. They look up to you for wisdom and nourishment and you give them pigswill.

Friendly reminder: CR claims that on the night of Christ's arrest, the only reason the mob fell down at His I AM is merely because they were surprised He admitted to being the one they sought. Even though Judas already ID'd him.

CR is as dishonest as he is stupid. Don't expect integrity. It isn't there.

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I didn't say accept what I say but the "scriptures" I gave you. I didn't have to add to them as you did yours.

CR, your statement above is exactly refuted by what you actually said which I quote below:

Eph.1:12-14 KJV [Note the fulfillment in that passage to see it as the ways and means of understanding the gospel given on the day of Pentecost that Satan wars against with those in the body of Christ.

What you say here is not scripture. You asked us to note this opinion, which is the same as asking us to accept it. I already asked you for the scripture passage you took this from because you previously stated that you were citing scripture. The fact is that this is not scripture.

You may wishfully think that you didn't say 'Accept what I say' but you did say that. You can't deny this because it is there on record.

Friendly reminder: CR claims that on the night of Christ's arrest, the only reason the mob fell down at His I AM is merely because they were surprised He admitted to being the one they sought. Even though Judas already ID'd him.

CR is as dishonest as he is stupid. Don't expect integrity. It isn't there.

I don't know about either one, though it would not surprise me. This is a typical characteristic of proof-texters. His position was completely refuted because the Greek text did not support his interpretation of it. Whilst he may ask us to 'note what he says' about some English translation, he can't get round the original text.

Cross Reference

CR, your statement above is exactly refuted by what you actually said which I quote below:

What you say here is not scripture. You asked us to note this opinion, which is the same as asking us to accept it. I already asked you for the scripture passage you took this from because you previously stated that you were citing scripture. The fact is that this is not scripture.

You may wishfully think that you didn't say 'Accept what I say' but you did say that. You can't deny this because it is there on record.

I don't know about either one, though it would not surprise me. This is a typical characteristic of proof-texters. His position was completely refuted because the Greek text did not support his interpretation of it. Whilst he may ask us to 'note what he says' about some English translation, he can't get round the original text.

Originally Posted by Cross Reference View Post
Eph.1:12-14 KJV [Note the fulfillment in that passage to see it as the ways and means of understanding the gospel given on the day of Pentecost that Satan wars against with those in the body of Christ.

Read it again, for the first time. Maybe get both oars in the water this time before "mouthing off".

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally Posted by Cross Reference View Post[Note the fulfillment in that passage to see it as the ways and means of understanding the gospel given on the day of Pentecost that Satan wars against with those in the body of Christ.

Read it again, for the first time. Maybe get both oars in the water this time before "mouthing off".

Which part of

I didn't have to add to them as you did yours.

do you not understand?

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Pack it in, Bunk. Pack your sidekick in with you. Anybody as wilfully stupid as you two, I am being generous here, deserve nothing further. Read the scripture and apply my opinion.

Thanks for admitting that you lied when you said that you add nothing to scripture.

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Looks to me that you're already seeing itself for yourself. ;)

Sure. I of course wasn't born yesterday, though I do try to refrain from judging until someone really forces me to.

CR, you were found out to have fallen into hypocrisy, accusing me of what you were doing yourself. What makes it really stupid is that what you were doing was not wrong - and of course you were accusing me of something that was not wrong anyway. We are all entitled to our opinions. But your accusing me of the crime of adding my opinion to scripture just left you with egg on your face. In this instance I would agree with Musterion: stupid. I can also smell the tomato sauce. And the fatty bacon rashers. You do look a picture!

Mocking You

The actual emphasis is in the first two words of that passage - "IN WHOM..."

In other words, God predetermined to bring to pass some things in His Son.

The moment you believe Christ died for you, the Spirit places you IN Christ.

You are then a part of, in fact, a fellow heir with Him, IN what the Father has determined to bring to pass IN His Son.

A simple example of this would be, say you decide you'd like to take a plane trip somewhere.

You call an airline to find out what flights they have predestinated to fly to your desired location.

You buy a ticket to a seat IN that plane. When you get to the airport they place you IN that plane.

You are now a part of the destination that airline predetermined for that plane's "Body" you are now a traveling "Member" of.

Say, you do not decide to place your trust in airlines and their predestinated fights.

Nevertheless, off to that destination that plane will take off to as predestinated by that airline.

I like this analogy a lot.