Theology Club: Is the Future Open?

Jerry Shugart

intojoy
I could not find which post of Jerry's you were quoting in #274. If you let me know, I can fix the quote.

You can fix the quote now but all it is is a quote of me saying the same exact thing I have always said:

Men either believe the gospel or they do not. It has nothing to do with choosing.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
You are perceptive enough to play like you actually provided a passage from the Scriptures which you think demonstrates that a person emerges from the womb in a condition which can be described as totally depraved.

But you actually provided nothing!

Bring it jerry!

Jerry Shugart

Bring it jerry!

I am waiting for you to bring it. You say that men enter the world in a state of total depravity but when given an opportunity to back up your assertion with facts from the Bible you provide nothing.

Where I grew up in west Texas we call people like you "all hat and no ranch."

Oh well, you are still young and have plenty of time to come to the knowledge of the truth.

Men either believe the gospel or they do not. It has nothing to do with choosing.

Since you are convinced that the future is not open then why do you not enlighten us to the truth at this thread which I started:
Matthew 4:17 Proves the Future is Open

You persist in trying to paint Calvinists as Fatalists. How sad you don't believe the Bible.

<DIR>Matthew 4:17 - From that time Jesus began to preach and say, "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand." [NASB]
</DIR>4:17 From then on Jesus took up the message which John had preached: "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand." It was a further call for moral renewal in preparation for His kingdom. The kingdom was near in the sense that the King was present. [From the Believer's Bible Commentary]

Nothing in here supports the open view except in your own mind. :cheers:

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
I am waiting for you to bring it. You say that men enter the world in a state of total depravity but when given an opportunity to back up your assertion with facts from the Bible you provide nothing.

Where I grew up in west Texas we call people like you "all hat and no ranch."

Oh well, you are still young and have plenty of time to come to the knowledge of the truth.

Well that's not the number one goal. We as believers will simply have disagreements with one another and nothing will change that fact.

If we focus on trying to force others to see what we see we err. Our number one goal as believers is to strive for the unity of the body in the bonds of peace and humility.

Good luck :)

Jerry Shugart

If we focus on trying to force others to see what we see we err. Our number one goal as believers is to strive for the unity of the body in the bonds of peace and humility.

This forum provides a good opportunity for others to know both sides of any argument and to come to their own conclusions based on the Scriptual evidence presented.

And that leads to growth in the believer. These forums are not the best place to strive for the unity of the Spirit and sometimes the discussions can get heated.

All I can say is, "If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen."

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
This forum provides a good opportunity for others to know both sides of any argument and to come to their own conclusions based on the Scriptual evidence presented.

And that leads to growth in the believer. These forums are not the best place to strive for the unity of the Spirit and sometimes the discussions can get heated.

All I can say is, "If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen."

So far the only heat has been
View attachment 18625
And I've got them on ignore so that I don't get tempted to retaliate against their flesh.

Even between you and I there has been opportunities to mis our mark of Christlike behavior. It's usually caused by getting disgusted by each other. Haha

I try and imagine being together in person and realizing that I would never act like i do here if we went to the same church together. It just can't be done. There are many bone headed individuals like you at my church but I can't get down and dirty arguing with them in person like I can here. I need you jerry. Don't leave me.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Ahhhmm, I am perceptive aren't i?

On another thread it was my conclusion that our conversation would ultimately lead to one thing: do all babies go to heaven.

In my observation the bible does not say anywhere that all babies go to heaven.

Are you claiming it says just the opposite?

I know what I would like to believe but I must follow what is written and not my desires. Also, I wouldn't attempt to push a brother who lost a child to try and debate me on this. What kind of cruel and stupid person would do that? But if you ask me I'm going to say what the bible says. All of your arguing jerry, comes right on back to home plate where we are again. I do believe in the end we will all say that The Lord did that which was right and good.
Fill us in. What exactly is written on the subject?

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
Are you claiming it says just the opposite?

Fill us in. What exactly is written on the subject?

"Why did I not die at birth, Come forth from the womb and expire? "Why did the knees receive me, And why the breasts, that I should suck? "For now I would have lain down and been quiet; I would have slept then, I would have been at rest, (Job 3:11-13 NASB)

Is this what happens to babies or is it Job's guess? I don't know.

But now he has died; why should I fast? Can I bring him back again? I will go to him, but he will not return to me." (2 Samuel 12:23 NASB)

Same question in my mind here.
I hope that these passages mean that God saves every child at death but this is all I have. I'd like to hear what you believe and how you support your belief.

There are two great imputations in the world, the imputation of Adam's sin to everyone and the imputation of the righteousness of Christ to those who believe on Him. This is why I can't see that babies would receive the second imputation without believing. Unless there is some kind of special pardon for them but I haven't seen anything concerning the death of infants besides these two passages. Both men are greater believers than you or I could ever hope to be and both believed that hades was not the destination for infants who die according to their statements. I don't know.

depraved-babies.jpg

Jerry Shugart

There are two great imputations in the world, the imputation of Adam's sin to everyone...

Where in the Scriptures do we read that?

And with what the Lord Jesus says about little children I find it impossible to believe that infants receive the imputation of Adam's sin:

"Then people brought little children to Jesus for him to place his hands on them and pray for them. But the disciples rebuked them. Jesus said, 'Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these'" (Mt.19:13-14).​

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
Where in the Scriptures do we read that?

And with what the Lord Jesus says about little children I find it impossible to believe that infants receive the imputation of Adam's sin:

"Then people brought little children to Jesus for him to place his hands on them and pray for them. But the disciples rebuked them. Jesus said, 'Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these'" (Mt.19:13-14).​

I remember reading something from Arnold considering that passage to do with the angels who watch over His elect.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
"See that you do not despise one of these little ones, for I say to you that their angels in heaven continually see the face of My Father who is in heaven. (Matthew 18:10 NASB)