Theology Club: How does open theism intepret these verses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
...Moses argued with God did he not?
I just want to make sure I understand your point here. Would your point be something along the line of ...

Moses argued with God, so of coarse the future is not settled.

bybee

I have read through all the replies as well as the original post. To me they all seem like sophistry. Humans arguing about how God thinks, changes or doesn't change is just plain silly. Moses argued with God did he not?

I've argued with God. I've raged at God.

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
I just want to make sure I understand your point here. Would your point be something along the line of ...

Moses argued with God, so of coarse the future is not settled.
Well, yes. If I understand what happened God was about to wipe the nation of Israel off the face of the Earth. Moses persuaded God to take a different course. But you can back it up to why God was going to do that. He had made a great promise centuries before to Abraham and the actions of the people had caused God to alter an unconditional promise.

Exodus 32:10

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
@ A4T. I was certainly not trying to derail your thread. Why ever would you think so?

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Well, yes. If I understand what happened God was about to wipe the nation of Israel off the face of the Earth. Moses persuaded God to take a different course. But you can back it up to why God was going to do that. He had made a great promise centuries before to Abraham and the actions of the people had caused God to alter an unconditional promise.

Exodus 32:10

Would you then, describe yourself as an open theist?

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
Would you then, describe yourself as an open theist?
No. I am not sophisticated enough to comprehend all that such a designation would involve. I am a very simple person who accepts that God is way beyond my comprehension.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Unknown and would depend on what was happening at the time, i dont think He watches us personally 24/7 if that is what you are asking.

God is fully aware of us 24/7. If He was not, someone could grossly sin and God would not know the details to judge righteously. Satan could take us out without God having a chance to intervene (or are angels more omniscient than God?!).

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
God is fully aware of us 24/7. If He was not, someone could grossly sin and God would not know the details to judge righteously. Satan could take us out without God having a chance to intervene (or are angels more omniscient than God?!).

Aware of us and personally watching us are not the same thing.

Satan cannot do anything that is not allowed - see Job.

I believe the Father is omniscient but not Christ, I believe certain things are brought to Gods attention as needed and our prayers are taken up to God via angels like the bible says and i believe those things explain for example why Christ would not know the time of His return, and deal with Christ being tempted in every point as we are, because we do not know the future. (The Father does though imo)

It also explains why God "came down to see" certain things in scripture first hand.

The angels i believe record everything so no, God doesnt have to be watching our every move or "He might miss a sin" as you say.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Aware of us and personally watching us are not the same thing.

Satan cannot do anything that is not allowed - see Job.

I believe the Father is omniscient but not Christ, I believe certain things are brought to Gods attention as needed and our prayers are taken up to God via angels like the bible says and i believe those things explain for example why Christ would not know the time of His return, and deal with Christ being tempted in every point as we are, because we do not know the future. (The Father does though imo)

It also explains why God "came down to see" certain things in scripture first hand.

The angels i believe record everything so no, God doesnt have to be watching our every move or "He might miss a sin" as you say.

This is more of a JW view that limits God. It sounds more like Gnosticism and angelic mediators than biblical Christianity.

The incarnation and other issues are more relevant than your speculative views that most Christian thinkers would reject.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
This is more of a JW view that limits God. It sounds more like Gnosticism and angelic mediators than biblical Christianity.

The incarnation and other issues are more relevant than your speculative views that most Christian thinkers would reject.

False assertion. Show where i have limited God in anyway. I limited what satan can do, you give him too much power. Nothing i believe is like JW.

I maintain He knows everything that will ever happen already.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
False assertion. Show where i have limited God in anyway. Nothing i believe is like JW.

I maintain He knows everything that will ever happen already.

You are talking about God not paying attention and angels bringing Him info?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
You are talking about God not paying attention and angels bringing Him info?

Where did i say God doesnt pay attention? Another false assertion. As far as angels, an angel is a messenger for God, and Revelation 5:8 shows them presenting prayers of the saints to God. The old testament shows several verses where those messengers come and get information for God as well.

Revelation 8:3 Then another angel, having a golden censer, came and stood at the altar. He was given much incense, that he should offer it with the prayers of all the saints upon the golden altar which was before the throne 4 And the smoke of the incense, with the prayers of the saints, ascended before God from the angel’s hand.

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
God has absolutely no Idea how I will respond to the next post. But God does know me and God does know you. God knows that if I am not very careful I will get reported for intentional disturbance or some other offense. He has told me to tread very carefully.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
God has absolutely no Idea how I will respond to the next post. But God does know me and God does know you. God knows that if I am not very careful I will get reported for intentional disturbance or some other offense. He has told me to tread very carefully.

You don't fool anyone and i can assure you God knows what you are up to, even if you don't believe it.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Do angels always take our prayers up to God? Is God deaf, dumb, blind like an idol? You make a big doctrine out of an obscure verse, yet fail to see that God hears and answers prayers directly?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Do angels always take our prayers up to God? Is God deaf, dumb, blind like an idol? You make a big doctrine out of an obscure verse, yet fail to see that God hears and answers prayers directly?

I have no response to you, untill you back your false witness or retract it. I seek honest discussion not to mention your side topic is now another entire discussion, and i am begining to not see the need for a seperate forum to have on topic discussions without the rhetoric that you and eeset keep throwing out to derail the actual discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.