Theology Club: MADs: analogies to describe disp'ism

musterion

BBS and others use the analogy of a mailroom to describe MAD. It's fine, but what other analogies might you use, if you were going to?

I've been thinking about a pile of tools laying in front of an empty pegboard. All of the tools are good but each tool has a specific purpose that no other tool can meet. You can try to use them all willy nilly but to do the best possible job, you have to be clear on how and when, or if, each tool is used. There are also some you can't use without resulting in bad workmanship, through no fault of the tool.

So what's the first order of business? Don't jump in and start driving nails with a level. Before going to work, organize them all on the board to see what's what.

Other analogies?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Office projects. The boss starts one group doing something And they are having trouble so he starts another group to basically take over the second half of the project because the first group can't even get the first half finished. It's a work in progress.

Danoh

Two that come to mind...

Finding that one has done one's taxes in accordance with a tax code no longer that of the current administration!

Visiting another state and not checking to see where its' rules of the road might greatly differ from those of one's own home state!

Both are very similar in end result to the following!

1 Corinthians 3:13 Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is. 3:14 If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward. 3:15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

musterion

Two that come to mind...

Finding that one has done one's taxes in accordance with a tax code no longer that of the current administration!

Visiting another state and not checking to see where its' rules of the road might greatly differ from those of one's own home state!

Both are very similar in end result to the following!

1 Corinthians 3:13 Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is. 3:14 If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward. 3:15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

Tax code idea reminds me that I once did a Sunday school sermon using an old stock certificate from Burger Queen. It was perfectly valid when the company existed, but good luck trying to claim anything out of it today. Even if there was someone to appeal to, they'd be under no legal requirement to honor anything about it because any guarantees associated with it are now defunct.

I do own this mug, though.

images

Danoh

My back and forth with dodge in his errors...inspired this one:

We have one Military...comprised of different Branches...each with often very Different...instructions...

musterion

That might work, except you'd need to address when people like Dodge automatically come back with something like "Yeah but it's still ONE military under ONE CiC...Israel/Body of Christ are one entity in Christ...it's all the same..." yada yada.

heir

TOL Subscriber
Office projects. The boss starts one group doing something And they are having trouble so he starts another group to basically take over the second half of the project because the first group can't even get the first half finished. It's a work in progress.
Hi Lighthouse, Welcome back.

What you said sounds too much like Plan A failed so Plan B, and that doesn't work because the second group was chosen in Him before the foundation of the world (Ephesians 1:4 KJV) whereas the first was prepared from the foundation of the world (Matthew 25:34 KJV). Your analogy might also give the impression to some that the BoC replaced Israel or that the same message, doctrine, duty and destination that was preached by the first group is now being preached just by different people, but it's not. Paul's apostleship is unique as is what is being preached today (mysteries)!

Just my thoughts

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Hi Lighthouse, Welcome back.

What you said sounds too much like Plan A failed so Plan B, and that doesn't work because the second group was chosen in Him before the foundation of the world (Ephesians 1:4 KJV) whereas the first was prepared from the foundation of the world (Matthew 25:34 KJV). Your analogy might also give the impression to some that the BoC replaced Israel or that the same message, doctrine, duty and destination that was preached by the first group is now being preached just by different people, but it's not. Paul's apostleship is unique as is what is being preached today (mysteries)!

Just my thoughts
That's why I said it was a work in progress.