Theology Club: Grace History Project: Darby

Danoh

Unshackled

Unshackled

A short, but good read on how Darby came to his Dispensational Perspective.

He did not invent it, rather, as he came to understand his identity in Christ through time in Scripture, the eyes of his understanding sufficiently educated by this, he was now able to see that Israel is not the Body and the Body is not Israel.

If you have ever had a moment in any area of your life where seeing some things clearly for the first time allowed you to see other things as a result, you have a sense of the experience Darby experienced that resulted in his recovery of truths that had been lost for quite some time.

http://www.pre-trib.org/articles/view/john-nelson-darby-and-the-rapture

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Darby was flawed in doctrine and in character, he taught much good doctrine...but it is well to know that he is flawed

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Read the history of the Brethren movement, there was nothing vague about what Darby did. Look up Bethesda.

If anyone is going to seriously consider Darby's work [and he is worth looking at] then it will be wise to look closely at him.

...it is no different than if he is alive or dead. We scrutinise ministers [or we should] before we start imbibing their doctrine.

Right Divider

Body part
Read the history of the Brethren movement, there was nothing vague about what Darby did. Look up Bethesda.
Why are so many people here on TOL so ridiculously illogical?

I said that YOU were vague. And you WERE.

If anyone is going to seriously consider Darby's work [and he is worth looking at] then it will be wise to look closely at him.
I don't "seriously consider his work", so I guess that I'm fine.

...it is no different than if he is alive or dead. We scrutinise ministers [or we should] before we start imbibing their doctrine.
Once again, I don't "imbibe his doctrine", so I'm fine.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Why are so many people here on TOL so ridiculously illogical?

I said that YOU were vague. And you WERE.

I don't "seriously consider his work", so I guess that I'm fine.

Once again, I don't "imbibe his doctrine", so I'm fine.

Well if somebody does seriously consider his work, or are fastidious about from who they imbibe doctrine

....it is well to know that Darby is flawed

Danoh

I "know no man after the flesh." Background, good, bad, circumcision, uncircumcision, you name it; what I look at is whether or not any aspect of his words are true to Scripture.

Its why I do not take sides, other what's right, no matter who. Its amazing how much more one is able to learn; as a result.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
I "know no man after the flesh." Background, good, bad, circumcision, uncircumcision, you name it; what I look at is whether or not any aspect of his words are true to Scripture.

Its why I do not take sides, other what's right, no matter who. Its amazing how much more one is able to learn; as a result.

I can benefit from reading Darby in relation to Israel, many agree with him and he did bring light to bear on the matter.

But by not being careful a very great many people have imbibed Darby's teaching on the "secret rapture" it is a plague in the church...many on this forum believe it, Darby is the father of it or at least it was through him that the doctrine gained popularity.

....Tots would have sounded a word of caution

Danoh

I can benefit from reading Darby in relation to Israel, many agree with him and he did bring light to bear on the matter.

But by not being careful a very great many people have imbibed Darby's teaching on the "secret rapture" it is a plague in the church...many on this forum believe it, Darby is the father of it or at least it was through him that the doctrine gained popularity.

....Tots would have sounded a word of caution

Respectfully, you simply don't understand why the Rapture would be Pre-Trib.

I doubt Darby would have sorted it all out as well; he was, after all; A2D.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Respectfully I understand very well what pretrib is all about and if the MADianitish brethren among us knew where it first originated they would spew it out.

It's origin is from the writings of a Jesuit priest, it was taken up by certain holiness Christians with the main focus of it's teaching being that only those who were holy enough would go in the rapture, the rest would have to stay and be purified by the wrath of God.

Darby cleaned it up somewhat theologically however he held on to the basic error that the rapture would be pre tribulation

Jesus said it will be post tribulation.

Darby was not Acts 2 and neither am I, I am an "at the cross" Christian.

That's where Paul said everything happened.

Danoh

Respectfully I understand very well what pretrib is all about and if the MADianitish brethren among us knew where it first originated they would spew it out.

It's origin is from the writings of a Jesuit priest, it was taken up by certain holiness Christians with the main focus of it's teaching being that only those who were holy enough would go in the rapture, the rest would have to stay and be purified by the wrath of God.

Darby cleaned it up somewhat theologically however he held on to the basic error that the rapture would be pre tribulation

Jesus said it will be post tribulation.

Darby was not Acts 2 and neither am I, I am an "at the cross" Christian.

That's where Paul said everything happened.

You have yet to lay out much Scripture at all towards proving your assertions.

And again, where a truth comes from or who, matters not if it is true.

All you are offering is more of your speculation and or that of where you have read such things, including your above latest ones.

Danoh

Jesus said after the tribulation of those days....they will see the Son of man coming in the clouds

And THEY will - after "the wrath" of those days that He will empower THEM to "endure unto the end...by..." their relying on "the word of His patience" to THEM.

THEY are "going to have tribulation." BUT, He related "be of good cheer" in other words, glory in it, for He has "overcome" their portion FOR them.

The pattern for this is based in Moses. You see this collective tribulation that both unbelieving and believing Israelites had to endure as one nation under God - the ONLY nation in the history of this planet that God ever entered into this Covenant with.

Reread Daniel 9's prayer - this was his understanding.

He is one of the most outstanding examples of faith in ALL of Scripture; right?

And yet, where is he in Daniel. Under God's wrath with his nation; his faith saving him through the resulting trials and tribulations his nation had entered into with God under Moses.

Again, just reread Daniel 9's prayer at the beginning of the chapter.

Israel is a nation under God in the Law of Moses, not individual Jew and Gentile, as in the Body of Christ.

They obey together or they suffer together. Read Daniel 9's prayer.

Add to that simply reading Deuteronomy 4 and Leviticus 26.

Did I mention - read Daniel 9's prayer, lol