Theology Club: Don't compromise sound doctrine!

heir

TOL Subscriber
The apostle Paul used the term "doctrine" 23 times. Of those 23 times, he never once instructs us to compromise the doctrine to “get along” with the religious. But contrariwise!

2 Timothy 1:13 Hold fast the form of sound words, which thou hast heard of me, in faith and love which is in Christ Jesus.

2 Timothy 2:2 And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also.

2 Timothy 2:7 Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things. 8 Remember that Jesus Christ of the seed of David was raised from the dead according to my gospel:

2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

2 Timothy 4:1 I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom; 2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine. 3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; 4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.5 But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.

Titus 1:9 Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers.

Titus 2:1 But speak thou the things which become sound doctrine:

Titus 2:7 In all things shewing thyself a pattern of good works: in doctrine shewing uncorruptness, gravity, sincerity, 8 Sound speech, that cannot be condemned; that he that is of the contrary part may be ashamed, having no evil thing to say of you.

Danoh

The apostle Paul used the term "doctrine" 23 times. Of those 23 times, he never once instructs us to compromise the doctrine to “get along” with the religious. But contrariwise!

2 Timothy 1:13 Hold fast the form of sound words, which thou hast heard of me, in faith and love which is in Christ Jesus.

2 Timothy 2:2 And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also.

2 Timothy 2:7 Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things. 8 Remember that Jesus Christ of the seed of David was raised from the dead according to my gospel:

2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

2 Timothy 4:1 I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom; 2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine. 3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; 4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.5 But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.

Titus 1:9 Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers.

Titus 2:1 But speak thou the things which become sound doctrine:

Titus 2:7 In all things shewing thyself a pattern of good works: in doctrine shewing uncorruptness, gravity, sincerity, 8 Sound speech, that cannot be condemned; that he that is of the contrary part may be ashamed, having no evil thing to say of you.

Couldn't agree more; especially when dealing with those teaching in contrast to those who more or less are merely following another's teaching.

Your post applies to the former, while Romans 14's basic attitude applies to the latter.

glorydaz

Couldn't agree more; especially when dealing with those teaching in contrast to those who more or less are merely following another's teaching.

Your post applies to the former, while Romans 14's basic attitude applies to the latter.

Whoa up there.....we are all members of the body of Christ. Why wouldn't those verses be equally pertinent for us all, since we are all ambassadors for Christ?

Danoh

Whoa up there.....we are all members of the body of Christ. Why wouldn't those verses be equally pertinent for us all, since we are all ambassadors for Christ?

I was agreeing with her - at the same time, well aware that more than one A9D view is represented on TOL.

Well aware, that where differences in understanding are held to be important ones, what determines compromise will at times be impacted by those important differences.

We each hold we are accepted in the Beloved.

At the same time, obviously, we each hold a different understanding as to where that began.

Until what that impacts comes into play.

But more importantly, what we each allow it to impact despite differences in understanding.

Some would even view getting a long with those who do not hold their view, as a compromise.

I have a friend who is a Reformed Pastor. We differ in many understandings. We nevertheless get along just fine, even as we each know what the other's reply will be to an invitation to come attend worship services at the other's assembly.

But because we major in the minor - Christ - we are able not only to remain friends, but to differ in our understandings whenever we bring those up.

I'm sure we still hold out a hope something the other will say, will turn the tide we each desire for the other.

glorydaz

I was agreeing with her - at the same time, well aware that more than one A9D view is represented on TOL.

Well aware, that where differences in understanding are held to be important ones, what determines compromise will at times be impacted by those important differences.

We each hold we are accepted in the Beloved.

At the same time, obviously, we each hold a different understanding as to where that began.

Until what that impacts comes into play.

But more importantly, what we each allow it to impact despite differences in understanding.

Some would even view getting a long with those who do not hold their view, as a compromise.

I have a friend who is a Reformed Pastor. We differ in many understandings. We nevertheless get along just fine, even as we each know what the other's reply will be to an invitation to come attend worship services at the other's assembly.

But because we major in the minor - Christ - we are able not only to remain friends, but to differ in our understandings whenever we bring those up.

I'm sure we still hold out a hope something the other will say, will turn the tide we each desire for the other.

Hmmmm..... I have no idea what you're talking about. My comment was about the verses themselves and your comment about them.