Theology Club: 2 Peter 3:16

Danoh

2 Peter 3:16 – A Thought…

Throughout 2 Peter 3, his recurrent theme is the issue of his reader’s need – they of the Circumcision that had believed the gospel of the Kingdom - to guard themselves against the wresting of the Circumcision Apostle’s words after said Apostles were gone.

How that after they were gone from this earth, and all the way through to Israel’s last days, the Circumcision Apostles’ words to them regarding God’s delay in His promise to Israel in His longsuffering, would be wrested [twisted] by those unlearned and unstable in the Scriptures.

And this would be the case, not only just as had been the case when those of Israel before them had wrested Israel’s prophet’s words concerning God’s delay of His promise to Israel in His longsuffering, but even as also; their beloved brother Paul’s words, according to the wisdom given him; speaking in all his epistles concerning God’s delay of His promise in His longsuffering, were being wrested.

They had copies of Paul’s writings. They knew this to be the case. They could know for certain that if such had been the case in their Circumcision Apostles’ lifetime, as even also in Paul’s; such would be the case after they were all gone from this earth, and they and those after them - during Israel’s last days - were to guard themselves against that.

Danoh

2 Peter 3:

1. This second epistle, beloved, I now write unto you; in both which I stir up your pure minds by way of remembrance:
2. That ye may be mindful of the words which were spoken before by the holy prophets, and of the commandment of us the apostles of the Lord and Saviour:
3. Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts,
4. And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.
5. For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water:
6. Whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished:
7. But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.
8. But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.
9. The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
10. But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.
11. Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness,
12. Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?
13. Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.
14. Wherefore, beloved, seeing that ye look for such things, be diligent that ye may be found of him in peace, without spot, and blameless.
15. And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;
16. As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.
17. Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own stedfastness.
18. But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen.

Paul had also addressed this gainsaying from Israel as to this delay in their promise, in Romans 9, for example:

19. Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he yet find fault? For who hath resisted his will?

In other words, in their ignorance of His sovereignty and His longsuffering of their way, Israel will twist their Scriptures to where they end up pointing their finger at God - why does He keep blaming us; why doesn't He just get on with His promise?

Anticipating that, Paul relates:

20. Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus?
21. Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?
22. What if God, willing to shew his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction:
23. And that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory,
24. Even us, whom he hath called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles?

Paul then returns to answering this issue of Israel's promise the following also takes up from verse 20 & 21:

25. As he saith also in Osee, I will call them my people, which were not my people; and her beloved, which was not beloved.
26. And it shall come to pass, that in the place where it was said unto them, Ye are not my people; there shall they be called the children of the living God.
27. Esaias also crieth concerning Israel, Though the number of the children of Israel be as the sand of the sea, a remnant shall be saved:
28. For he will finish the work, and cut it short in righteousness: because a short work will the Lord make upon the earth.
29. And as Esaias said before, Except the Lord of Sabaoth had left us a seed, we had been as Sodoma, and been made like unto Gomorrha.

He then once more speaks on where things are now, that has Israel's promise on hold, as well as, as to one aspect of how things ended up this way:

30. What shall we say then? That the Gentiles, which followed not after righteousness, have attained to righteousness, even the righteousness which is of faith.
31. But Israel, which followed after the law of righteousness, hath not attained to the law of righteousness.
32. Wherefore? Because they sought it not by faith, but as it were by the works of the law. For they stumbled at that stumblingstone;
33. As it is written, Behold, I lay in Sion a stumblingstone and rock of offence: and whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
2 Peter 3:16 – A Thought…

Throughout 2 Peter 3, his recurrent theme is the issue of his reader’s need – they of the Circumcision that had believed the gospel of the Kingdom - to guard themselves against the wresting of the Circumcision Apostle’s words after said Apostles were gone.

How that after they were gone from this earth, and all the way through to Israel’s last days, the Circumcision Apostles’ words to them regarding God’s delay in His promise to Israel in His longsuffering, would be wrested [twisted] by those unlearned and unstable in the Scriptures.

And this would be the case, not only just as had been the case when those of Israel before them had wrested Israel’s prophet’s words concerning God’s delay of His promise to Israel in His longsuffering, but even as also; their beloved brother Paul’s words, according to the wisdom given him; speaking in all his epistles concerning God’s delay of His promise in His longsuffering, were being wrested.

They had copies of Paul’s writings. They knew this to be the case. They could know for certain that if such had been the case in their Circumcision Apostles’ lifetime, as even also in Paul’s; such would be the case after they were all gone from this earth, and they and those after them - during Israel’s last days - were to guard themselves against that.
I'm with ya until that last phrase .....
"guard themselves against that".
What's "that"? Paul's writings?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Oh wait, never mind. Think I see what "that" is now.
Guarded against the scoffers saying the kingdom is not coming.

Danoh

I'm with ya until that last phrase .....
"guard themselves against that".
What's "that"? Paul's writings?

Lol, you precious doll, thanks :)

Guard themselves from the wresting of their Prophet's Scriptures, Peter's and et al's, and also Paul's, as to the delay in their Promise - guard themselves from that kind of thing.

Jerry Shugart

They had copies of Paul’s writings.

They certainly had 1 Corinthians because it was addressed to them:

"Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both their's and our's" (1 Cor.1:2).​

Those to whom Peter addressed his first epistle certainly called on the name of the Lord Jesus so the following words were addressed to each and every one of the Jews who received Peter's first epistle:

"For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ. For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit" (1 Cor.12:13).​

Those in the Neo-MAD community teach that the Jews to whom both Peter and Paul wrote were not members of the Body of Christ. This is just another of their teaching which is based on nothing but thin air!

Last edited:

glorydaz

Lol, you precious doll, thanks :)

Guard themselves from the wresting of their Prophet's Scriptures, Peter's and et al's, and also Paul's, as to the delay in their Promise - guard themselves from that kind of thing.

She is, indeed, precious, and one of the main reasons I look forward to signing in every morning. :)

glorydaz

Those in the Neo-MAD community teach that the Jews to whom both Peter and Paul wrote were not members of the Body of Christ. This is just another of their teaching which is based on nothing but thin air!

You're as bad as those who ruin every thread with their anti-trinitarian garbage. Simply put - you're proving yourself to be a troll. :troll:

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
She is, indeed, precious, and one of the main reasons I look forward to signing in every morning. :)
I gotta find a bigger hat now. My head just swelled a little.
:eek:

I just love this place! And you are a big part of why I do.
:cheers:

Danoh

Guys, I ask that you please ignore the likes of Jerry and their actual agenda on our threads; at least on mine, anyway, as it'd be nice if we can simply explore the various things on our minds in the spirit of our mutual faith.

Should any of you ignore this request, well, that's ok too. Though I'd rather we focus on mutual exploration of things, I don't need to have my way. That's not the real world. That is the world of the neurotic.

glorydaz

Guys, I ask that you please ignore the likes of Jerry and their actual agenda on our threads; at least on mine, anyway, as it'd be nice if we can simply explore the various things on our minds in the spirit of our mutual faith.

Should any of you ignore this request, well, that's ok too. Though I'd rather we focus on mutual exploration of things, I don't need to have my way. That's not the real world. That is the world of the neurotic.

:thumb:

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
28. For he will finish the work, and cut it short in righteousness: because a short work will the Lord make upon the earth.
29. And as Esaias said before, Except the Lord of Sabaoth had left us a seed, we had been as Sodoma, and been made like unto Gomorrha.
Perhaps tying into:

Matthew 24 KJV
(22) And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened.

Jerry Shugart

Guys, I ask that you please ignore the likes of Jerry...

As if they hadn't already ignored the verses which I quoted!

Don't you know by now that they are incapable of addressing verses like that in an intelligent manner? That is why you all run and hide from those verses.

Jerry Shugart

They had copies of Paul’s writings.

"Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both their's and our's" (1 Cor.1:2).​

Those to whom Peter addressed his first epistle certainly called on the name of the Lord Jesus so the following words were addressed to each and every one of the Jews who received Peter's first epistle:

"For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ. For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit" (1 Cor.12:13).​

Danoh

Trolling again.

What a loser you are....