Theology Club: Secret Agent Man

Danoh

I've long since viewed the Mystery preached by the Apostle Paul as an aspect of the Cross not found but in his writings alone - a redemption also made possible at the Cross that differs from its forgiveness of sins as to whom, as well as unto, and towards, God's Earthly Plan and Purpose.

Further, the Cross in Prophecy is also the issue of the Lord's resurrection from the dead as evidence He is David's rightful heir.

Whereas, in the Mystery preached by Paul, this same Jesus Christ's resurrection is the issue of His resurrection also having proving Him the Head of a New Creature in the Heavenlies.

The Mystery being God's Eternal Purpose to glorify His Son in a New Creature in the Heavenlies, out of a humanity redeemed from its sin this side of Israel's fall.

In this, Christ not only died for the sins of that humanity to partake in God's Prophesied Plan And Purpose for the Earth, but, He also died for the sins of that humanity to partake in God's Mystery Purpose in the Heavenlies.

Thus, the Apostle Paul's unique, Two-Fold Perspective in his "Jesus Christ; of the seed of David" [the issue of His having risen from the dead unto that aspect of God's Two-Fold Purpose in the Earth] "was raised from the dead according to my gospel" [the issue of His having risen from the dead unto that aspect of God's Two-Fold Purpose in the Heavenlies].

In this, there is far more to salvation in this Mystery Age then God simply keeping one out of hell.

Fact is, that is actually a side issue; as the following summary will reveal.

It is an excellent summary of The Mystery; it's intent; and importance.

As its perspective matches my own, it is why I have never seen the Mystery the Apostle Paul alone had preached, taught and written about, as one aspect hidden in the OT, another in God.

Enjoy!

-------------------

Why the Mystery?

– Nancy Paulson

http://www.bereanworkman.com/miscellaneous/wise.html

Why did God hide what He was going to do in this dispensation of the grace of God?

(1 Corinthians 2:6-8) Howbeit we speak wisdom among them that are perfect: yet not the wisdom of this world, nor of the princes of this world, that come to nought: {7} But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory: {8} Which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.

To understand God why kept some wisdom hidden we need to look at Job 5:13:

(Job 5:13) He taketh the wise in their own craftiness: and the counsel of the froward is carried headlong.

Satan had a wise plan:

(Isaiah 14:12-14) How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations! {13} For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north: {14} I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.

The Bible defines “most High” as the one who possess the heaven and earth.

(Genesis 14:19) And he blessed him, and said, Blessed be Abram of the most high God, possessor of heaven and earth:
(Genesis 14:22) And Abram said to the king of Sodom, I have lift up mine hand unto the LORD, the most high God, the possessor of heaven and earth,

Keith Blades in his book 'Satan and His Policy of Evil' writes concerning Satan's wise plan: "After formulating his plan of evil, Satan went about implementing it by acquiring for himself the necessary allegiance of creatures in both the heavenly and earthly realms. By doing so he usurped the dominion of the heavenly places and became the “prince of the power of the air.” Through the fall of Adam he acquired the dominion of the earth and became the “prince of the world.” With both positions intact, Satan possessed the means for putting his plan of evil into effect and realizing his objective of being “like the most High.”

Up until the Apostle Paul it was only revealed, (i.e. spoken by the mouth of the holy prophets) that God was going to restore his rule and authority in the earth.

Satan thought that he knew it all and no secret could be kept from him:

(Ezekiel 28:3-4) Behold, thou art wiser than Daniel; there is no secret that they can hide from thee: {4} With thy wisdom and with thine understanding thou hast gotten thee riches, and hast gotten gold and silver into thy treasures:

However, God had a secret:

(Romans 16:25) Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began,

The mystery revelation that was revealed to the Apostle Paul shows that God is wiser than Satan (in other words, God hid a secret from him). It is through the very thing that Satan thought he would secure his being like the “most High” (by crucifying the Lord Jesus Christ) that proved to be his downfall.

(1 Corinthians 1:18-19) For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. {19} For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.

(1 Corinthians 2:7-8) But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory: {8} Which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.

(Ephesians 3:3-5) How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words, {4} Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ) {5} Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit;

(Ephesians 1:9-11) Having made known unto us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure which he hath purposed in himself: {10} That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him: {11} In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will:

The “all things” are defined for us in Colossians:

(Colossians 1:16-20) For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him: {17} And he is before all things, and by him all things consist. {18} And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence. {19} For it pleased the Father that in him should all fulness dwell; {20} And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven.

The “all things” are positions of governmental authority in heaven and on earth and these will be reconciled unto God. From Genesis 1 to Acts 9, we read about God’s purpose to put His rule and authority on the earth through a kingdom vested in the nation of Israel.

But Paul reveals that hidden purpose in which God will restore the heavenly places:

(Ephesians 2:4-7) But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, {5} Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, [by grace ye are saved;] {6} And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus: {7} That in the ages to come he might show the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.

(Ephesians 3:9-11) And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ: {10} To the intent that now unto the principalities and powers in heavenly places might be known by the church the manifold wisdom of God, {11} According to the eternal purpose which he purposed in Christ Jesus our Lord:

All this to show that there is only one wise God:

(1 Timothy 1:17) Now unto the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God, be honour and glory for ever and ever. Amen.

(Jude 1:25) To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and forever. Amen.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You are overthinking this.

The mystery is not the church itself but the equality of Jews and Gentiles in the church. The mystery referred to in the 'fellowship of the mystery' (Eph. 3:9) is the relationship of Jews and Gentiles to Christ and to one another. This relationship is the distinguishing characteristic of the church.

The content of the mystery is first, Gentiles and Jews are fellow heirs of God's riches that He presently bestows on believers (Eph. 2:19; 1:13-14; Gal. 3:29; 4:7). Second, they are fellow members of the body of Christ, which is the church (Col. 1:18). Third, they are fellow partakers of the promise concerning Christ in the gospel (i.e., that whoever trusts in Him has everlasting life; John 3:16). The mystery is not that Gentiles would enjoy salvation and enter into blessing along with Israel. God revealed that in the Old Testament (Gen. 12:3; Isa. 42:6). It is that God has joined Jews and Gentiles as equals in one new body, which is the church (1 Cor. 12:13).

The mystery of Eph. 3:6 may thus be summed up as the coequal participation of the Gentiles with Israel in the full messianic salvation that is realized in the crucified and risen Christ and made effective to both through the apostolic proclamation of the gospel. This truth of the unity of Gentiles and Israel in the church, which has already been introduced in connection with the 'mystery of his will' (Eph. 1:9-14, especially verses 12-13) and elaborated in Eph. 2:11-22, stands behind all of the teachings of the epistle as the central theme.

AMR