Theology Club: Repent and be Baptized...for the Remission of Sins

musterion

"And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord" (Acts 22:16).​

It cannot be denied that Paul was to play some part in what Ananias told Paul. In his commentary on this verse Sir Robert Anderson writes:

"The Apostle records the words which Ananias addressed to him (Paul) at his conversion: 'Arise and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord'...His meaning is clear: 'Arise and be baptized, and turn away from your evil courses, calling on His name'" [emphasis mine] (Anderson, The Bible or the Church? [London: Pickering & Inglis, Second Edition], 230-231).​

So Ananias was just using a figure of speech?

glorydaz

Hi Jerry and here is the best translation of 1 Cor 6;11 !!

1 Cor 6:11 , " And some of you were these things . But you yourselves were WASHED , but you were Sanctified , BUT you were declared RIGHTEOUS in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the SPIRIT of our God .

#1 , Tell me WHO can wash away his SINS !!

#2 Who can wash away his sins and then be SANCTIFIED ?

#3 , Who can wash away his SINS and then declare himself RIGHTEOU !!

#4 So you are telling me that PAUL WASHED his SINS AWAY ??

#5 ,So how was PAUL SAVED IN Acts 9:6 Grace or by WATER ??

TELL ME , SO TELL ME ??

DAN P

:thumb:

DAN P

"And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord" (Acts 22:16).​

It cannot be denied that Paul was to play some part in what Ananias told Paul. In his commentary on this verse Sir Robert Anderson writes:

"The Apostle records the words which Ananias addressed to him (Paul) at his conversion: 'Arise and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord'...His meaning is clear: 'Arise and be baptized, and turn away from your evil courses, calling on His name'" [emphasis mine] (Anderson, The Bible or the Church? [London: Pickering & Inglis, Second Edition], 230-231).​

Hi , Jerry , and how was PAUL SAVED , Acts 9:6 by Water or Grace , Gal 1:15 ??

Ananis knew only water Baptism , but why did not Jesus say Repent and be Baptized ??

dan p

glorydaz

So Ananias was just using a figure of speech?

Of course he was. Or else we must believe that Paul could actually wash away his sins.

Then I have to wonder why you used this version. It seem to me you have used this before to claim we must wash ourselves. :think:

Originally Posted by Jerry Shugart;434
"And such were some of you: but ye washed yourselves, but ye were sanctified, but ye were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God " (1 Cor.6:11; RV, Marginal Note).​

musterion

Then I have to wonder why you used this version. It seem to me you have used this before to claim we must wash ourselves. :think:

Originally Posted by Jerry Shugart;434
"And such were some of you: but ye washed yourselves, but ye were sanctified, but ye were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God " (1 Cor.6:11; RV, Marginal Note).​

Exactly. He also has already said we must wash ourselves, so to speak, per 1 In 1:9 in order to be forgiven and remain in fellowship with the Father.

Jerry Shugart

Hi , Jerry , and how was PAUL SAVED , Acts 9:6 by Water or Grace , Gal 1:15 ??

Ananis knew only water Baptism , but why did not Jesus say Repent and be Baptized ??

The only way that any man has ever been saved down through history is by grace through faith. No one is saved by law keeping according to Paul:

"I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain" (Gal.2:21).​

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
STP once again runs and hides from this verse which declares that the Jews who lived under the law were not saved by faith plus works:

Perhaps STP is so uninformed that he is not aware that "grace" and "works" are mutually excusive.

excusive ? there is no excuse -

Evidently the teachers within the Pseudo-MAD community are not even aware of that fact.

wow, i always thought if somebody has problems understanding and constantly clashes with others, they ought study alone. ask yourself these questions as you study silently, cuz ur stuck on repeat -

View attachment 20119

Jerry Shugart

Exactly. He also has already said we must wash ourselves, so to speak, per 1 In 1:9 in order to be forgiven and remain in fellowship with the Father.

At 1 John 1:9 we are told to confess (acknowledge) our sins and then "the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanseth us from all sin" (1 Jn.1:7).

Then after being cleansed from our sins then we are to keep ourselves holy by ceasing from sinning:

"I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service" (Ro.12:1).​

glorydaz

At 1 John 1:9 we are told to confess (acknowledge) our sins and then "the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanseth us from all sin" (1 Jn.1:7).

Then after being cleansed from our sins then we are to keep ourselves holy by ceasing from sinning:

"I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service" (Ro.12:1).​

Well, by golly. We DO have something to boast about then, don't we?

glorydaz

When I am keeping myself holy all I am doing is walking after the Spirit so there is nothing for me to boast about.

Well, you could boast about ceasing from sinning since that is apparently how you keep yourself holy. Really, Jerry, I'm not buying this false modesty bit. You sound exactly like God's untruth with what you have posted in yellow (above). Doesn't that bother you just a bit?

Our "service" is not something we can boast in because all the work is done by the Spirit that dwells in us. So, it isn't YOU that is "keeping" yourself "holy", is it?

Philippians 1:6
Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:​

It isn't even that you are "ceasing from sinning". We are delivered from the law and sin is not accounted to us. That isn't something we have done, but Christ has done for us....why we are not under the law but under grace.

Jerry Shugart

Well, you could boast about ceasing from sinning since that is apparently how you keep yourself holy. Really, Jerry, I'm not buying this false modesty bit.

Sounds like you are questioning my honesty. Why would you want to do that?

Our "service" is not something we can boast in because all the work is done by the Spirit that dwells in us. So, it isn't YOU that is "keeping" yourself "holy", is it?

Aided by the Holy Spirit we are told to "present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service" (Ro.12:1).

We are also told the following:

"Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God" (2 Cor.7:1).​

Of course in that duty we are also aided by the Holy Spirit.

It isn't even that you are "ceasing from sinning". We are delivered from the law and sin is not accounted to us. That isn't something we have done, but Christ has done for us....why we are not under the law but under grace.

Then why does Paul say the following to Christians?:

"Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry" (Col.3:5).​

If we ourselves are not to cease from sinning then why does Paul tell us to put those sins to death?

And what is the source of the filthiness of which Paul speaks of here?:

"Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God" (2 Cor.7:1).​

glorydaz

Sounds like you are questioning my honesty. Why would you want to do that?

I said I'm not buying your false modesty bit. I think that comes quite naturally...nothing at all to do with your "honesty". In the same way, the Pharisees honestly thought they were holy and righteous and they put on a good act. Such a good act that they fooled even themselves.

But, with this I will have to bow out of this conversation because it will only go downhill from here. I'm not out to attack your character, Jerry. I just don't like the way you "play".