Theology Club: Does forgiveness require repentance?

Does forgiveness require repentance?

• Total voters

glorydaz

What say you?

I say most people don't have a clue what repentance means. Repentance is a change of mind...a turning....from UNBELIEF to BELIEF. Therefore, my answer would be YES. We must turn from serving idols to serving the true and living God. Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will receive forgiveness of sins (saved).

1 Thessalonians 1:9
For they themselves shew of us what manner of entering in we had unto you, and how ye turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God;

Lon

Shoot, both of the above :(

I was thinking, as a parent, I've long ago forgiven one of my children of an offense but they don't know it until they come to me afterwards. Sometimes they wait so long I've forgotten o_O

At any rate, I suppose it would need to be clarified what we mean by repentance and forgiveness both.

It is in the nature of God to forgive but that such has a demand that we are in Him for such to be efficacious.
Repentance is needed to be in Christ.

For the most part, I'm not overtly concerned which comes first, in one's theology,as long is there is both a cart (repentance) and horse (forgiveness) for a person to be in Christ. I believe at least the willingness of God to forgive proceeds even our existence in God.
We must be in Christ to be forgiven. I believe this honors scripture. Acts 2:38; 3:19; 20:21; 26:20
Hebrews 10:16-25

In Him

-Lon

beloved57

Does forgiveness require repentance?

Its the other way around, Repentance requires Forgiveness ! Before God grants Repentance, that individual must have already been forgiven because of Christ's death for them ! If Christ has not died for one and saved them by His Blood, they have no Right to repent, they are obligated to keep the whole Moral law of God perfectly without sinning in word, thought, action, their entire life ! If they sin once, they are guilty of breaking the whole law and will be judged according to their works in the day of Judgment without mercy !

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I say most people don't have a clue what repentance means. Repentance is a change of mind...a turning....from UNBELIEF to BELIEF. Therefore, my answer would be YES. We must turn from serving idols to serving the true and living God. Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will receive forgiveness of sins (saved).
For they themselves shew of us what manner of entering in we had unto you, and how ye turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God;
^This

Nanja

Its the other way around, Repentance requires Forgiveness ! Before God grants Repentance, that individual must have already been forgiven because of Christ's death for them ! If Christ has not died for one and saved them by His Blood, they have no Right to repent, they are obligated to keep the whole Moral law of God perfectly without sinning in word, thought, action, their entire life ! If they sin once, they are guilty of breaking the whole law and will be judged according to their works in the day of Judgment without mercy !

Yes. Repentance is given only to the ones Christ died for;
not something a person performs to get forgiveness.

God gives repentance to only His Chosen Seed.
Acts 5:31 KJV; Is. 45:17 KJV; Eph. 1:4 KJV

~~~~~

beloved57

nanja

Yes. Repentance is given only to the ones Christ died for;
not something a person performs to get forgiveness.

Amen, for Christ did the performing in order to give Repentance to those on behalf He performed for Acts 5:31

31 Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel[The Israel of God Gal 6:16], and forgiveness of sins.

Acts 11:18

18 When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

Thats what a Saviour does, He gives Repentance to those He contracted to save from their sins !

beloved57

nanja

No one of himself can turn unless God turns him.
Lam. 5:21 KJV; Psalm 80:3

Amen, and thats what Jesus does by granting His Sheep Repentance, He blesses them as stated here Acts 3:25-26

25 Ye are the children of the prophets, and of the covenant which God made with our fathers, saying unto Abraham, And in thy seed shall all the kindreds of the earth be blessed.

26 Unto you first God, having raised up his Son Jesus, sent him to bless you, in turning away every one of you from his iniquities.

Nanja

beloved
Thats what a Saviour does, He gives Repentance to those He contracted to save from their sins !

1 Peter 1:20 Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world,
but was manifest in these last times for you

Being foreordained speaks of the Everlasting Covenant of Grace for them:

Heb. 13:20 Now the God of peace, that brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus,
that great shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant

~~~~~

beloved57

beloved

1 Peter 1:20 Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world,
but was manifest in these last times for you

Being foreordained speaks of the Everlasting Covenant of Grace for them:

Heb. 13:20 Now the God of peace, that brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus,
that great shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant

~~~~~

Yes, thats exactly when the contract was settled, in the Eternal Counsels of the Everlasting Covenant, wherein He was declared Surety Heb 7:22

22 By so much was Jesus made a surety of a better testament.

Nanja

nanja

Amen, and thats what Jesus does by granting His Sheep Repentance, He blesses them as stated here Acts 3:25-26

25 Ye are the children of the prophets, and of the covenant which God made with our fathers, saying unto Abraham, And in thy seed shall all the kindreds of the earth be blessed.

26 Unto you first God, having raised up his Son Jesus, sent him to bless you, in turning away every one of you from his iniquities.

Amen. He turns them from their ungodliness:

Rom. 11:26-27 And so all Israel shall be saved:
as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer,
and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob:
For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.

~~~~~

beloved57

Amen. He turns them from their ungodliness:

Rom. 11:26-27 And so all Israel shall be saved:
as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer,
and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob:
For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.

~~~~~

Right, and we see from this passage that Gentiles were included in the saving all Israel . The Israel here is not Abraham's physical descendants, but God's Elect in Christ comprised of all nations, thats Abraham's Seed Gal 3:29

29 And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

The Promise is Isa 45:17

17 But Israel shall be saved in the Lord with an everlasting salvation: ye shall not be ashamed nor confounded world without end.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame

That^

Nanja

Right, and we see from this passage that Gentiles were included in the saving all Israel . The Israel here is not Abraham's physical descendants, but God's Elect in Christ comprised of all nations, thats Abraham's Seed Gal 3:29

29 And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

The Promise is Isa 45:17

17 But Israel shall be saved in the Lord with an everlasting salvation: ye shall not be ashamed nor confounded world without end.

Yes, Spiritual Israel; all of the Seed of Abraham Heb. 2:16 KJV;
the People He came to save Mat. 1:21 KJV; His Body the Church Eph. 5:25 KJV.

Rom. 9:6-8 Not as though the word of God hath taken none effect.
For they are not all Israel, which are of Israel: Neither, because
they are the seed of Abraham, are they all children: but, In Isaac shall thy seed be called.
That is, They which are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God:
but the children of the promise are counted for the seed.

~~~~~

beloved57

Yes, Spiritual Israel; all of the Seed of Abraham Heb. 2:16 KJV;
the People He came to save Mat. 1:21 KJV; His Body the Church Eph. 5:25 KJV.

Rom. 9:6-8 Not as though the word of God hath taken none effect.
For they are not all Israel, which are of Israel: Neither, because
they are the seed of Abraham, are they all children: but, In Isaac shall thy seed be called.
That is, They which are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God:
but the children of the promise are counted for the seed.

~~~~~
Yes the promise is to Spiritual Israel Isa 45:17 !

Posted from the TOL App!

revpete

No.

Forgiveness produces repentance . . . not vice versa.

So, on what basis does God forgive? If your statement is true why did Jesus and The Apostles preach repentance, why not just preach forgiveness if that produces repentance?

Blessings: Pete <><

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

I disagree. This is earning life, salvation. Forgiveness and reconciliation comes before life.

Colossians 2

13 And you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses