Theology Club: Is MAD doctrine correct?

heir

TOL Subscriber
What happened to those in the Body of Christ who did not judge themselves in regard to their sins?:

"For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged.But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world (1 Cor.11:31032).
:doh: I can see you have no clue what was going on in 1 Cor. 11. CONTEXT! Paul was delivering that which he received, that the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread...The next thing you're going to tell me is that we in the Body can eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.

You overlook what those in the Body are told here:
We don't have an unction and need not any man teach us.

1 John 1:9 has NOTHING to do with the Body of Christ. The Body of Christ has no sins that need confessing. I can't believe I'm having this conversation with someone named a brother. There's only one place for it to go since you think sins are still in need of forgiveness. What is the gospel of your salvation?

Furthermore, those in the Body have the righteousness of God upon us. There's no unrighteousness in need of cleansing. (Romans 3:21-22 KJV). We have now received the atonement (Romans 5:11 KJV), but when will Israel's sins be taken away? When is their day of atonement?

Jerry Shugart

I can see you have no clue what was going on in 1 Cor. 11. CONTEXT! Paul was delivering that which he received, that the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread...The next thing you're going to tell me is that we in the Body can eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.

That answers nothing what I said about Paul's words here:

"For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged. But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world" (1 Cor.11:31-32).​

Of course the chastening spoken of there refers to our sins. But if we confess our sins (judge ourselves) then will will not be chastened for our sins.

All you do is stick your head in the sand and pretend that what Paul said in this passage does not even exist.

1 John 1:9 has NOTHING to do with the Body of Christ. The Body of Christ has no sins that need confessing. I can't believe I'm having this conversation with someone named a brother. There's only one place for it to go since you think sins are still in need of forgiveness. What is the gospel of your salvation?

1 John 1:9 is speaking of being in "fellowship" with the Lord and is not about "salvation," as you imagine.

Do you not know the difference between a Chriatian's standing before God and his actual state?

Furthermore, those in the Body have the righteousness of God upon us. There's no unrighteousness in need of cleansing. (Romans 3:21-22 KJV).

That is true in regard to our standing before God (being 'in Christ') but this verse speaks of our actual state:

"Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God" (2 Cor.7:1).​

Once Christians becomes defiled by the sins which they commit then the only way that they can be cleansed from that defilement is to confess those sins:

"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness" (1 Jn.1:9).​

How do you cleanse yourself from the defilement caused by the sins which you have committed since you became saved?

Last edited:

heir

TOL Subscriber
That answers nothing what I said about Paul's words here:
Of course the chastening spoken of there refers to our sins.
We can see what Paul is talking about when we read it IN CONTEXT and don't try to twist it to fit a perverted doctrine, which is what you are doing.

All you do is stick your head in the sand and pretend that what Paul said in this passage does not even exist.
Paul is rebuking the Corinthians.

1 Corinthians 11:17 Now in this that I declare unto you I praise you not, that ye come together not for the better, but for the worse.

1 Corinthians 11:18 For first of all, when ye come together in the church, I hear that there be divisions among you; and I partly believe it.

No "might be also heresies among you", there "MUST be..."

1 Corinthians 11:19 For there must be also heresies among you, that they which are approved may be made manifest among you.

When they came together it was not to eat the Lord's supper. It is possible though, that this is what they were calling it.

1 Corinthians 11:20 When ye come together therefore into one place, this is not to eat the Lord's supper.

1 Corinthians 11:21 For in eating every one taketh before other his own supper: and one is hungry, and another is drunken.

They were eating and drinking in front of the church of God who had nothing (those in the church of God had sold out)! Paul was rebuking them.

1 Corinthians 11:22 What? have ye not houses to eat and to drink in? or despise ye the church of God, and shame them that have not? What shall I say to you? shall I praise you in this? I praise you not.

Paul is going to be recalling the same night in which the Lord was betrayed.

1 Corinthians 11:23 For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread:

Paul is still speaking of that night which the Lord was betrayed. He is NOT instructing the Corinthians to partake of the Lord's supper in remembrance of Him.

1 Corinthians 11:24 And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.

1 Corinthians 11:25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.

1 Corinthians 11:26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.

1 Corinthians 11:27 Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.

1 Corinthians 11:28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.

1 Corinthians 11:29 For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.

1 Corinthians 11:30 For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep.

1 Corinthians 11:31 For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged.

1 Corinthians 11:32 But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world.

It has NOTHING to do with us.

1 John 1:9 is speaking of being in "fellowship" with the Lord and is not about "salvation," as you imagine.
What a load. 1 John 1:9 is about the fountain being opened for sin and uncleanness for Israel (Zechariah 13:1 KJV) which is in one accord with what Peter preached in Acts 3:19-21 KJV. And confirmed by Paul in Romans 11:26-27 KJV. I see it's your head in the sand.

Jerry Shugart

Paul is still speaking of that night which the Lord was betrayed. He is NOT instructing the Corinthians to partake of the Lord's supper in remembrance of Him.

Then why does Paul speak of them drinking of the cup?:

1 Corinthians 11:26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.

You also said:

It has NOTHING to do with us.

Were not the ones which Paul addressed members of the Body of Christ? If what Paul says here to them applies to them then it must apply to members of the Body of Christ:

"For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged. But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world" (1 Cor.11:31-32).​

What a load. 1 John 1:9 is about the fountain being opened for sin and uncleanness for Israel (Zechariah 13:1 KJV) which is in one accord with what Peter preached in Acts 3:19-21 KJV. And confirmed by Paul in Romans 11:26-27 KJV. I see it's your head in the sand.

No, those words were addressed to those who had already received eternal life in the Son (1 Jn.5:11).

This verse speaks of our actual state:

"Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God" (2 Cor.7:1).​

Once Christians becomes defiled by the sins which they commit then the only way that they can be cleansed from that defilement is to confess those sins:

"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness" (1 Jn.1:9).​

How do you cleanse yourself from the defilement caused by the sins which you have committed since you became saved?

heir

TOL Subscriber
What part of rebuking them for eating and drinking in front of those who have not as if they were eating the Lord's supper do you not understand? Because of it (and other heresies 1 Corinthians 11:19 KJV among them),

1 Corinthians 11:22 What? have ye not houses to eat and to drink in? or despise ye the church of God, and shame them that have not? What shall I say to you? shall I praise you in this? I praise you not.

1 Corinthians 11:23 For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread:

There was a mixed bag of people at Corinth (1 Corinthians 1:12 KJV). You act as if every one there were saved. They weren't. What was said to them pertaining to the Lord's supper does not apply to us. And Paul told them when they came together it was NOT to eat the Lord's supper (1 Corinthians 11:20 KJV). It looks like it didn't apply to them either.

Your perverted view of 1 John is noted. You believe you have sins in need of forgiveness whereas I believe I have been forgiven ALL trespasses (Body truth).

Colossians 2:13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;

What is the gospel of your salvation?

heir

TOL Subscriber
If what Paul says here to them applies to them then it must apply to members of the Body of Christ:
Is that how you roll? That's not rightly dividing the word of truth not to mention (again) the context in which it was written. If you think that everything that Paul wrote is written to you, you must be under these ordinances?

Acts 15:13 And after they had held their peace, James answered, saying, Men and brethren, hearken unto me: 14 Simeon hath declared how God at the first did visit the Gentiles, to take out of them a people for his name.

Acts 15:19 Wherefore my sentence is, that we trouble not them, which from among the Gentiles are turned to God: 20 But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.

Acts 15:27 We have sent therefore Judas and Silas, who shall also tell you the same things by mouth. 28 For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things; 29 That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.

Some of us know that we were under no such ordinances.

Last edited:

heir

TOL Subscriber
Why did Christ have to die on the cross if all it took was your so called confession? And since when did confessing sins (in the manner that you and other religious men would have us to do in your hijacking of 1 John 1:9) ever take away anyone's sins? How did those in M, M, L and John confess their sins?

Jerry Shugart

Why did Christ have to die on the cross if all it took was your so called confession?

As I said earlier, 1 John 1:9 is not referring to "salvation" but instead about being in "fellowship" with the Lord.

And since when did confessing sins (in the manner that you and other religious men would have us to do in your hijacking of 1 John 1:9) ever take away anyone's sins? How did those in M, M, L and John confess their sins?

I did not highjack the meaning of 1 John 1:9 because my interpretation of the meaning of the verse matches perfectly with what John himself says in the verse. That verse was written to those who were already saved, as witnessed by the fact that they are told that they already have eternal life in the Son (1 Jn.5:11).

John says that confessing one's sins leads to the taking away of those sins but you obviously do not believe it.

There was a mixed bag of people at Corinth (1 Corinthians 1:12 KJV). You act as if every one there were saved. They weren't. What was said to them pertaining to the Lord's supper does not apply to us. And Paul told them when they came together it was NOT to eat the Lord's supper (1 Corinthians 11:20 KJV). It looks like it didn't apply to them either.

So are you saying that the following words were addressed to the unsaved?:

Jerry Shugart

Is that how you roll? That's not rightly dividing the word of truth not to mention (again) the context in which it was written.

Do you deny that it was written to those in the Body of Christ. Let us look at what we read at the same epistle where Paul is not just addressing those in the church at Corinth but also "all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord":

"Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both their's and our's" (1 Cor.1:2).​

All of the Jewish believers living in the first century did indeed call on the name of Jesus Christ so therefore this is what they were told by Paul:

"For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ. For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit" (1 Cor.12:13).​

Cornelius Stam, the founder of the Berean Bible Society, wrote the following commentary on 1 Corinthians 1:2:

"There are other evidences that the kingdom saints of Paul's day became members of the Body of Christ. In I Corinthians 1:2, Paul addresses his letter to the Corinthian church, 'with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both theirs [those in every place] and ours [those with Paul].' And he says to 'all' these believers 'in every place': 'For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one Body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles' (I Cor. 12:13). How can this be made to exclude the Judean believers?" (Cornelius Stam, Commentary on Galatians [Stevens Point, WI: Worzalla Publishing Co., 1998], 198).​

Last edited:

heir

TOL Subscriber
As I said earlier, 1 John 1:9 is not referring to "salvation" but instead about being in "fellowship" with the Lord.
Nope.

I did not highjack the meaning of 1 John 1:9 because my interpretation of the meaning of the verse matches perfectly with what John himself says in the verse. That verse was written to those who were already saved, as witnessed by the fact that they are told that they already have eternal life in the Son (1 Jn.5:11).

John says that confessing one's sins leads to the taking away of those sins but you obviously do not believe it.
Matthew 3:6 And were baptized of him in Jordan, confessing their sins.

Mark 1:4 John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins.

Mark 1:5 And there went out unto him all the land of Judaea, and they of Jerusalem, and were all baptized of him in the river of Jordan, confessing their sins.

Their last confessing their sins will be the fountain opened to them for sin and uncleanness,

Zechariah 13:1 In that day there shall be a fountain opened to the house of David and to the inhabitants of Jerusalem for sin and for uncleanness.

this time for the blotting out of their sins in one accord with what Peter preached in Acts

Acts 3:19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;

Acts 3:20 And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you:

Acts 3:21 Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.

heir

TOL Subscriber
Cornelius Stam, the founder of the Berean Bible Society, wrote the following commentary on 1 Corinthians 1:2:

"There are other evidences that the kingdom saints of Paul's day became members of the Body of Christ.
I've no doubt that those who trusted the Lord believing the gospel of Christ are saved (1 Corinthians 15:1-4 KJV) and baptized by one Spirit into one Body (1 Corinthians 12:13 KJV).

That has nothing to do with Peter and the boys. That's a different church, with a different gospel, doctrine and inheritance.

heir

TOL Subscriber
So are you saying that the following words were addressed to the unsaved?:
We cannot be condemned with the world.

Romans 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

Last edited:

heir

TOL Subscriber
All of the Jewish believers living in the first century did indeed call on the name of Jesus Christ so therefore this is what they were told by Paul:
The gospel of Christ (1 Corinthians 15:1-4 KJV) is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth (Romans 1:16-17 KJV although no longer to the Jew first and also to the Greek, but all men 2 Timothy 2:4-6 KJV). Only those who trusted the Lord after hearing and believing IT for salvation are in the Body of Christ; saved and sealed (Ephesians 1:13-14 KJV).

Jerry Shugart

Those who received John's first epistle were told that they already possessed eternal life in the Son (1 Jn.5:11). And here is what the Lord Jesus said about those to whom He has given eternal life:

"And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand" (Jn.10:28).​

Those who received John's first epistle were saved and possessed eternal security to the words at 1 John 1:9 are not in regard to salvation.

Acts 3:19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;

let us look at this verse from the day of Pentecost which is in regard to water baptism:

"Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit" (Acts 2:38).​

Before anyone could be baptized with water they had to first believe, as witnessed by the following exchange between Philip and the eunuch:

"And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized? And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God" (Acts 8:36-37).​

As soon as anyone believes they already have their sins forgiven:

"To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins" (Acts 10:43).​

The baptism of Acts 2:38 was in regard to "fellowship" and not "salvation." In the Journal of the Grace Evangelical Society David R. Anderson writes:

"We are suggesting that John the Baptist, Jesus, and Peter had dual ministries. One was to call the nation of Israel back into fellowship with Yahweh. The covenant relationship had long since been established. The nation of Israel did not need a new relationship with God. But they were sorely lacking in fellowship...John the Baptist, Jesus, and Peter were all trying to persuade Israel to repentance and turning that would bring them back to a refreshing fellowship with God...Now as a nation they needed to repent and turn (Acts 3:19) in order to have fellowship with God" [emphasis added] (Anderson, "The National Repentance of Israel," Journal of the Grace Evangelical Society, Autumn 1998, Volume 11:21).​

heir

TOL Subscriber
Is that how you roll? That's not rightly dividing the word of truth not to mention (again) the context in which it was written. If you think that everything that Paul wrote is written to you, you must be under these ordinances?

Acts 15:13 And after they had held their peace, James answered, saying, Men and brethren, hearken unto me: 14 Simeon hath declared how God at the first did visit the Gentiles, to take out of them a people for his name.

Acts 15:19 Wherefore my sentence is, that we trouble not them, which from among the Gentiles are turned to God: 20 But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.

Acts 15:27 We have sent therefore Judas and Silas, who shall also tell you the same things by mouth. 28 For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things; 29 That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.

Some of us know that we were under no such ordinances.
Still waiting

glorydaz

What part of rebuking them for eating and drinking in front of those who have not as if they were eating the Lord's supper do you not understand? Because of it (and other heresies 1 Corinthians 11:19 KJV among them),

Your perverted view of 1 John is noted. You believe you have sins in need of forgiveness whereas I believe I have been forgiven ALL trespasses (Body truth).

Colossians 2:13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;

What is the gospel of your salvation?

:first:

heir

TOL Subscriber
Those who received John's first epistle were saved and possessed eternal security to the words at 1 John 1:9 are not in regard to salvation.
There is NO eternal security outside of Romans through Philemon...(Romans 8:29-39 KJV, Ephesians 1:13-14 KJV, Ephesians 4:30 KJV, 2 Timothy 2:19 KJV)

Matthew 10:22 KJV And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved.

Matthew 24:13 KJV But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

Hebrews 6:4-6 KJV For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost, 5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come, 6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

let us look at this verse from the day of Pentecost which is in regard to water baptism:

"Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit" (Acts 2:38).​

Before anyone could be baptized with water they had to first believe, as witnessed by the following exchange between Philip and the eunuch:

"And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized? And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God" (Acts 8:36-37).​

As soon as anyone believes they already have their sins forgiven:

"To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins" (Acts 10:43).​
Remission is not forgiveness of sins. Peter FULLY believed Israel's sins will be blotted out when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord which is what many call the second coming of the Lord.

Acts 3:20 And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you:

Acts 3:21 Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.

Paul confirms it as yet future in the epistle to the Romans (Acts 20)

Romans 11:25 For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in.

Romans 11:26 And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob:

Romans 11:27 For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.

There's no denying it unless you're resisting the truth!

The baptism of Acts 2:38 was in regard to "fellowship" and not "salvation." In the Journal of the Grace Evangelical Society David R. Anderson writes:
It wasn't for salvation (Peter knows theirs is future 1 Peter 1:9 KJV), but for the remission of sins. That's what it says.

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

glorydaz

Jerry ignores some very important words with his "interpretation". One is the word ALSO ...that ye "also" may have fellowship with us....clearly showing they were NOT YET walking in the light....their joy was not yet "full." It's why the message was being declared unto them. IF WE SAY is speaking of those who claimed they knew God, but don't. Of course, Jerry will NEVER admit his error about 1 John. IF WE SAY is a clue he will not see. :nono:

1 John 1:3-6
3That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ.

4And these things write we unto you, that your joy may be full.

5This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.

6If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:​

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
1 John 1:3-6
3That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ.

4And these things write we unto you, that your joy may be full.

5This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.

6If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:​

1 John, 2 John, and 3 John are inline with James, Peter, Jude, Revelation, and the red letters. And of course Hebrews. It is doctrine for us to study and be knowledgeable about, but it is not my good news of salvation. And neither is constructing a 300 cubit long ark.

heir

TOL Subscriber
1 John, 2 John, and 3 John are inline with James, Peter, Jude, Revelation, and the red letters. And of course Hebrews. It is doctrine for us to study and be knowledgeable about, but it is not my good news of salvation. And neither is constructing a 300 cubit long ark.
:up:

1 John, 2 John, and 3 John are inline with James, Peter, Jude, Revelation, and the red letters. And of course Hebrews.
Matthew, Mark, Luke, John and Peter's preaching in Acts was before the Body of Christ and Hebrews through Revelation is after the Body of Christ is caught up. We are in the but now. Thank God!

It is doctrine for us to study and be knowledgeable about, but it is not my good news of salvation.
Yep! Romans 15:4 For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.