• This is a new section being rolled out to attract people interested in exploring the origins of the universe and the earth from a biblical perspective. Debate is encouraged and opposing viewpoints are welcome to post but certain rules must be followed. 1. No abusive tagging - if abusive tags are found - they will be deleted and disabled by the Admin team 2. No calling the biblical accounts a fable - fairy tale ect. This is a Christian site, so members that participate here must be respectful in their disagreement.

Evolution and its effects.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Gravity is an observable fact.

So is evolution. Anyone can look around them and see it in action. Just like gravity.

When I look around me I see God's handiwork, His creation

Which includes evolution. When there's a new species evolved from and older one, do you doubt that it's God's creation?

Gravitational theory like evolutionary theory, explains these phenomena. In fact, evolutionary theory is more solid than gravitational theory, since we know why evolution works, but we still aren't sure why gravity works.

Gary K

Banned
You remind me of an inlaw I have that passed away four years ago from cancer. The man was a liar born and bred. He'd rather tell me a lie than tell me the truth, about anything. And he swore up and down he never lied yet I caught him in so many it was impossible to keep track of them. Lying was his natural state of mind. Between that and his love of beating up his wives, and then bragging about it, he was a most unlikable man. The first time I met him he was bragging about how he had fractured the pelvis of his first wife. I wanted to take a baseball bat to the jerk.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So is evolution.

Nope. It's just a theory.

Anyone can look around them and see it in action. Just like gravity.

Nope, and even if random mutations and natural selection happened instantaneously and visibly, it would still be just a theory.

You're not very good at this, are you? Perhaps you don't know that in science it's not a bad thing to have your ideas called a theory. That allows them to be well defined and puts them up for testing and falsification.

This is how science advances. Hiding from progress is not the way to go.

When God created the kinds, do you doubt that it's His creation?

Gravitational theory

Perhaps if you'd said "gravitational theory," you might have some sympathy.

However, there is no one-to-one analogy between the relationship between evolutionary theory and evolution, and gravitational theory and gravity.

For one, nobody is at all confident in their theories of how gravity works, while Darwinists insist that random mutations and natural selection are indisputably the drivers of evolution.

More importantly, "the fact of evolution" is defined as "change." We could notice that a son has different colored eyes from his father and the Darwinist would claim that as justification for — not the definition — his theory.

It's classic equivocation.

After 100 times explaining this issue to you, one would think it would have penetrated.

Evolutionary theory is more solid than gravitational theory, since we know why evolution works, but we still aren't sure why gravity works.

1. Which theory of gravitation?
2. What is the theory of evolution?
3. What is the fact of gravity?
4. What is the "fact of evolution"?

When you can set out those four things sensibly and stick to them, you might be able to participate in a rational discussion over the evidence.

Gary K

Banned
I guess I just have to ask....

It's classic equivocation.

After 100 times explaining this issue to you, one would think it would have penetrated.

Why would you expect a very practiced skillful equivocator to ever honestly admit to anything? I guess, maybe, a lot of people don't have the same life experience that I have for I gave up on equivocators ever being honest with me many years ago. I have a brother like that who constantly used equivocation on me and he's never changed in the 60+ years I've known him, and an inlaw like that. He passed away 4 years ago from cancer but he'd been the same guy all his life. His brothers said he had been like that as a kid, a teenager, and an adult. He was 82 when he died. I guess I'm more than just a little cynical when it comes to liars.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I guess I just have to ask....

Why would you expect a very practiced skillful equivocator to ever honestly admit to anything? I guess, maybe, a lot of people don't have the same life experience that I have for I gave up on equivocators ever being honest with me many years ago. I have a brother like that who constantly used equivocation on me and he's never changed in the 60+ years I've known him, and an inlaw like that. He passed away 4 years ago from cancer but he'd been the same guy all his life. His brothers said he had been like that as a kid, a teenager, and an adult. He was 82 when he died. I guess I'm more than just a little cynical when it comes to liars.
It'd be a lot different with a real-life relationship. Responding to the posts this liar creates doesn't come with any obligations or commitments.

I'm on TOL to engage over the ideas and share a little humour. If the price of entry is to have to chide Barbarian for his stupidity every now and then, it's a cheap price.

Especially as if it becomes a burden there is always the ignore feature. :chuckle:

Brothers don't have those. :sigh:

chair

So is evolution. Anyone can look around them and see it in action. Just like gravity.

Which includes evolution. When there's a new species evolved from and older one, do you doubt that it's God's creation?

Gravitational theory like evolutionary theory, explains these phenomena. In fact, evolutionary theory is more solid than gravitational theory, since we know why evolution works, but we still aren't sure why gravity works.

Despite his detractors, The Barbarian is one of the most logical, patient posters in this forum.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
You remind me of an inlaw I have that passed away four years ago from cancer. The man was a liar born and bred. He'd rather tell me a lie than tell me the truth, about anything. And he swore up and down he never lied yet I caught him in so many it was impossible to keep track of them. Lying was his natural state of mind. Between that and his love of beating up his wives, and then bragging about it, he was a most unlikable man. The first time I met him he was bragging about how he had fractured the pelvis of his first wife. I wanted to take a baseball bat to the jerk.

So you were bullied by a relative, and you're transferring resentment to me. That explains a lot of things, but it doesn't really help you. As you have seen, I document my claims.

I might disagree with your interpretation of things, but that doesn't make you a liar, even when you're demonstrably wrong. I'm sure you realize that, but you seem unable to understand that it applies to everyone else as well.

Losing an argument on your part, does not equate to someone else lying.

Do you realize how you appear to others when you abandon any attempt at reasoning, and merely call the other person a liar?

Last time I looked, that was a violation here. I won't report you, but someone else might.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Oh and this misconception...

Nope. Evolution is just a theory.

Is only possible if one has no understanding of science whatever:

Part of the problem is that the word "theory" means something very different in lay language than it does in science: A scientific theory is an explanation of some aspect of the natural world that has been substantiated through repeated experiments or testing. But to the average Jane or Joe, a theory is just an idea that lives in someone's head, rather than an explanation rooted in experiment and testing.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/just-a-theory-7-misused-science-words/

The other error is to confuse the phenomenon with the theory that explains it. Evolution isn't a theory; it's something we observe happening in the world. There are several theories that explain it, but the Modern Synthesis is the one that has been most successful in predicting how it works. And evolution is not the same thing as consequences of evolution, such as speciation, common descent, and increases in fitness.

Keep those things in mind and you won't embarrass yourself when talking to someone who knows science.

Gary K

Banned
So you were bullied by a relative, and you're transferring resentment to me. That explains a lot of things, but it doesn't really help you. As you have seen, I document my claims.

I might disagree with your interpretation of things, but that doesn't make you a liar, even when you're demonstrably wrong. I'm sure you realize that, but you seem unable to understand that it applies to everyone else as well.

Do you realize how you appear to others when you abandon any attempt at reasoning, and merely call the other person a liar?

Last time I looked, that was a violation here. I won't report you, but someone else might.

The following video is my only answer to you.

Gary K

Banned
It'd be a lot different with a real-life relationship. Responding to the posts this liar creates doesn't come with any obligations or commitments.

I'm on TOL to engage over the ideas and share a little humour. If the price of entry is to have to chide Barbarian for his stupidity every now and then, it's a cheap price.

Especially as if it becomes a burden there is always the ignore feature. :chuckle:

Brothers don't have those. :sigh:

***chuckles***

Sure they do. I put my brother on ignore 30 years ago and haven't spoken to him for 23 years. I just figured that was a lot healthier for me than putting up with his abuse.

I saw Lon's post to you in which he said that we don't have any choice in family but that isn't true for millions of people as they have had to do the same thing I had to: choose to walk away. If my brother would ever contact me and want to get along based upon mutual respect I'd do it in a heartbeat, but I don't think that will ever happen as he's had the same attitude towards me since he was 9 or 10 years old. It's something that happens in families with a multi-generational history of alcoholism so there are millions of us in this world who have gone through it, and some people have had it a whole lot worse than I did. I used to be pretty mad at God about the whole thing but He's changed my mind about it all and now I'm grateful for all He's taught me to get me through and over it. He's taught me things I could have learned in no other way and that is a blessing.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Barbarian observes:

The following video is my only answer to you.

It would have been better for you, if you had thought it over before you posted. Since looking at evidence contrary to your beliefs seems to adversely affect you, perhaps "ignore" is a good option.

Gary K

Banned
Barbarian observes:

It would have been better for you, if you had thought it over before you posted. Since looking at evidence contrary to your beliefs seems to adversely affect you, perhaps "ignore" is a good option.

LOL. So says the guy who has as his life goal, rather than a search for truth, a lifetime's search for

.... wait for it....

...wait for it.....

drum roll please....

plausible deniability.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Evolution isn't a theory.

It's a religion.

The word "theory" means something very different in lay language than it does in science: A scientific theory is an explanation of some aspect of the natural world that is justifiably asserted because of experiments. What Barbarian forgets is that it must be testable and falsifiable so that, you know, the scientific method can be applied regardless of how sure we are that it is correct.

Always, always, ALWAYS, ALWAYS it must be acknowledged that a scientific theory is replaceable. And in fact, no theory will ever be a fact. Never.

Darwinists want none of that when it comes to their religion, so they insulate evolution from challenges by calling it a fact. When challenged, they start preaching about what a theory is as if it were not them who committed the most egregious of scientific failings: Asserting their ideas as fact.

The other error — actually the same (intentional) error — is they confuse phenomenon with theory. Gravity is a phenomenon. Evolution is just a theory.

Until they get this right, they will never be part of a sensible discussion.

Evolution is not the same thing as consequences of evolution, such as speciation, common descent, and increases in fitness.
Those who assume the truth of their ideas aren't practicing science, they're asserting their religion.

Keep those things in mind and you won't embarrass yourself when talking to someone who knows science. :up:

Right Divider

Body part
It's a religion.

The problem is that the word "theory" means something very different in lay language than it does in science: A scientific theory is an explanation of some aspect of the natural world that is justifiably asserted because of experiments. What Barbarian forgets is that it must be testable and falsifiable so that, you know, the scientific method can be applied regardless of how sure we are that it is correct.

Always, always, ALWAYS, ALWAYS it must be acknowledged that a scientific theory is replaceable. And in fact, no theory will ever be a fact. Never.

Darwinists want none of that when it comes to their religion, so they insulate evolution from challenges by calling it a fact. When challenged, they start preaching about what a theory is as if it were not them who committed the most egregious of scientific failings: Asserting their ideas as fact.

The other error — actually the same (intentional) error — is they confuse phenomenon with theory. Gravity is a phenomenon. Evolution is just a theory.

Until they get this right, they will never be part of a sensible discussion.

Those who assume the truth of their ideas aren't practicing science, they're asserting their religion.

Keep those things in mind and you won't embarrass yourself when talking to someone who knows science. :up:
He has evolved an incredibly thick skull. :french:

Right Divider

Body part
It's a pity he's also quick to become enraged. He'd be a lot more effective if he calmed down and responded to the question in front of him instead of stamping his feet and demanding to answer questions that don't challenge his religion.
He really has no choice if he's going to attempt to defend the indefensible.