• This is a new section being rolled out to attract people interested in exploring the origins of the universe and the earth from a biblical perspective. Debate is encouraged and opposing viewpoints are welcome to post but certain rules must be followed. 1. No abusive tagging - if abusive tags are found - they will be deleted and disabled by the Admin team 2. No calling the biblical accounts a fable - fairy tale ect. This is a Christian site, so members that participate here must be respectful in their disagreement.

Mutations: Accidents or not?

Right Divider

Body part
At least one atheist evolutionist here complains when I call mutations accidents.

My question is: what else can they be called but accidents? Are they purpose driven?

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Most mutations are errors. Some mutations are environment driven, which is the result of God's amazing design of the genetic mechanisms present in all organisms.

My evidence for this is the 17 year experiment that was done on the finches.

https://kgov.com/spetner

Right Divider

Body part
Most mutations are errors. Some mutations are environment driven, which is the result of God's amazing design of the genetic mechanisms present in all organisms.

My evidence for this is the 17 year experiment that was done on the finches.

https://kgov.com/spetner

I agree.

I guess that I should have been more clear in my OP.

From an atheist evolutionist viewpoint, which does not allow for any purpose in their completely materialist worldview, how can mutations be anything but purposeless accidents?

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
Some mutations are environment driven, which is the result of God's amazing design of the genetic mechanisms present in all organisms.

Are you saying that environment-driven mutations (which is the result of God's amazing design of the genetic mechanisms present in all organisms) are beneficial mutations?

Trump Gurl

Credo in Unum Deum
I say that anything that happens within the laws of nature (which God created) is normal. If the laws of nature allow for mutations then they are normal. I think they do.

Right Divider

Body part
I say that anything that happens within the laws of nature (which God created) is normal. If the laws of nature allow for mutations then they are normal. I think they do.

The actual point is not whether they are "normal" but whether they are a creative force or are accidents that are detrimental to an original design.

The creationist view is that they are not a creative force and cannot "design" anything but are corrupting existing designs.
The evolutionist view is that they are the "fuel" that evolution uses to create complex interdependent systems.

Trump Gurl

Credo in Unum Deum
The actual point is not whether they are "normal" but whether they are a creative force or are accidents that are detrimental to an original design.

The creationist view is that they are not a creative force and cannot "design" anything but are corrupting existing designs.
The evolutionist view is that they are the "fuel" that evolution uses to create complex interdependent systems.

Since I don't think that evolution and creationism are mutually exclusive, I don't see why they cannot be both. Who is to say that God's design does not include evolving changes and even species.

Right Divider

Body part
Since I don't think that evolution and creationism are mutually exclusive, I don't see why they cannot be both. Who is to say that God's design does not include evolving changes and even species.

You can think whatever you want. Mutations are errors and damage to the existing beings on this planet.

Those that push the atheistic materialistic world view try to claim that mutations are a creative force, but science shows otherwise.

Many Christians have tried to accommodate much of the atheistic materialistic world view into their beliefs. That is a huge mistake.

Trump Gurl

Credo in Unum Deum
You can think whatever you want. Mutations are errors and damage to the existing beings on this planet.

Those that push the atheistic materialistic world view try to claim that mutations are a creative force, but science shows otherwise.

Many Christians have tried to accommodate much of the atheistic materialistic world view into their beliefs. That is a huge mistake.

I am no atheist. You can take that to the bank.

So with that in mind, you also cannot prove that God did not include in His great plan an evolving universe. There is no reason to be scared of the word "Evolution" just because atheists use it. It is pretty clear that their view of evolution is wrong since it excludes God. However, there is nothing wrong with entertaining the idea that God's plan includes an evolving Universe. Wondrous are his ways, and they are far, far above our understanding.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond

So with that in mind, you also cannot prove that God did not include in His great plan an evolving universe. There is no reason to be scared of the word "Evolution" just because atheists use it. It is pretty clear that their view of evolution is wrong since it excludes God. However, there is nothing wrong with entertaining the idea that God's plan includes an evolving Universe. Wondrous are his ways, and they are far, far above our understanding.

The problem I have with reconciling an omnipotent and just God and evolution is that evolution relies on a process that produces disease, infirmity and death more often than supposed improvements

Last edited:

Right Divider

Body part
I never even remotely hinted at any such thing.

So with that in mind, you also cannot prove that God did not include in His great plan an evolving universe.
That is irrelevant.

There is no reason to be scared of the word "Evolution" just because atheists use it.
I'm not the slightest bit scared to the word "Evolution". The point is that real science shows that things don't change into other things. Much less that accidents (mutations) can have the creative power to do just that.

It is pretty clear that their view of evolution is wrong since it excludes God. However, there is nothing wrong with entertaining the idea that God's plan includes an evolving Universe. Wondrous are his ways, and they are far, far above our understanding.
You can say things like that, but there is no reason to believe it based on the Bible and science.

Trump Gurl

Credo in Unum Deum
The problem I have with reconciling an omnipotent and just God and evolution is that evolution relies on a process that produces disease, infirmity and death more often than supposed improvements

What is the alternative? That God baked all those bad things into the cake?

Here is another thing to think about: God's original plan got jacked up when the first man and woman sinned, right? No more Eden, no more sinlessness, creation was "fallen." Maybe evolution is part of that.

Trump Gurl

Credo in Unum Deum
It is pretty clear that their view of evolution is wrong since it excludes God. However, there is nothing wrong with entertaining the idea that God's plan includes an evolving Universe. Wondrous are his ways, and they are far, far above our understanding.
You can say things like that, but there is no reason to believe it based on the Bible and science.

Based on science there IS evidence to at least entertain the possibility.

As for the Bible, too many people interpret it to say what they want it to say. In fact, it says nothing on this issue.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber

When you define "evolution" as "change over time," atheists win the discussion, because no one here argues that species do not change ever.

Stripe

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond

Here is another thing to think about: God's original plan got jacked up when the first man and woman sinned, right? No more Eden, no more sinlessness, creation was "fallen." Maybe evolution is part of that.

if you're really interested in having your hair blown back on this stuff, take some time and chew on what PneumaPsucheSoma is serving - he posts all through this thread - if I get better service this evening I'll try to find some specific posts:

https://theologyonline.com/forum/pol...54#post2385954

I think this is where it starts getting deep:

https://theologyonline.com/forum/pol...71#post2386171

he really gets rolling here:

https://theologyonline.com/forum/po...torment-biblical-or-not?p=2386193#post2386193

Last edited:

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
So with that in mind, you also cannot prove that God did not include in His great plan an evolving universe.

Well, yes we can.

There is no reason to be scared of the word "Evolution" just because atheists use it. It is pretty clear that their view of evolution is wrong since it excludes God. However, there is nothing wrong with entertaining the idea that God's plan includes an evolving Universe.

Well, no, it doesn't. God designed creatures to be able to adapt to their environment, but always within boundaries. The kind of evolution that darwinists want to have happened is not simply adaptation to an environment, it's that the species becomes a different species.

Wondrous are his ways, and they are far, far above our understanding.

God's ways are higher than our ways, to be sure, but they are not LOWER.

God, through Moses, said that He created man on Day 6, and Jesus said He created man at "the beginning of creation."

Meaning, there's simply not enough time (not enough time anyways, but that's a different argument) for evolution to happen.

There was no death (animal or human) prior to Adam's fall. This is explicitly clear in the Bible.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber

The alternative to theistic evolution?

It's called the Fall of Man, and entropy taking it's toll due to no access to the Tree of Life.

God created man perfect. The Tree of Life would have been used to maintain/restore God's creation to its original state.

But since man sinned, God took away access to the Tree of Life, and so man (and the rest of creation) began to suffer the consequences, which includes disease, decay of the genome, and the build-up of negative mutations.

It's not.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Based on science there IS evidence to at least entertain the possibility.

Well, no, the evidence supports a young earth.

It's when scientists who reject God twist the evidence that it looks like it supports their position against Him.

But when you look at the evidence without their spin on it, it fits perfectly with what the Bible says.

As for the Bible, too many people interpret it to say what they want it to say. In fact, it says nothing on this issue.

There is plenty that is said on how God created. You only need to look.

Trump Gurl

Credo in Unum Deum
The Bible explains that kinds reproduce their kind. It's not a free for all.

I don't plan on getting into a giant argument with you. I will just say that the Bible is not a science book and God did not intend for it to be used as one. Using the Bible for things it was not intended for is one of the biggest mistakes that too may people make. The Bible does not exclude the possibility of evolution. Evolution as explained by atheists is obviously wrong. But legitimate evolution is not disproved by the Bible.

We cannot say: creation or evolution, inasmuch as these two things respond to two different realities. The story of the dust of the earth and the breath of God, which we just heard, does not in fact explain how human persons come to be but rather what they are. It explains their inmost origin and casts light on the project that they are. And, vice versa, the theory of evolution seeks to understand and describe biological developments. But in so doing it cannot explain where the “project” of human persons comes from, nor their inner origin, nor their particular nature. To that extent we are faced here with two complementary—rather than mutually exclusive—realities (Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, In the Beginning: A Catholic Understanding of the Story of Creation and the Fall (Eerdmans, 1995), 50).