• This is a new section being rolled out to attract people interested in exploring the origins of the universe and the earth from a biblical perspective. Debate is encouraged and opposing viewpoints are welcome to post but certain rules must be followed. 1. No abusive tagging - if abusive tags are found - they will be deleted and disabled by the Admin team 2. No calling the biblical accounts a fable - fairy tale ect. This is a Christian site, so members that participate here must be respectful in their disagreement.

About Viruses the Good and the Bad

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
There is a video from Creation.com talk about viruses. The discussion about viruses is now at the forefront because the Coronavirus outbreak. My husband introduced me to this video and I found it very fascinating.

Stuu

There is a video from Creation.com talk about viruses. The discussion about viruses is now at the forefront because the Coronavirus outbreak. My husband introduced me to this video and I found it very fascinating.

Good messages about vaccination, and also an interesting basic discussion about evolutionary biology. It is quite amusing that once in a while they have to stop and remind themselves that they are not talking about evolution by natural selection, before resuming their discussion about evolution by natural selection.

Stuart

Right Divider

Body part
Good messages about vaccination, and also an interesting basic discussion about evolutionary biology. It is quite amusing that once in a while they have to stop and remind themselves that they are not talking about evolution by natural selection, before resuming their discussion about evolution by natural selection.

Stuart

Natural selection is a LIMITING factor that does NOT aid "evolution".

Natural selection ELIMINATES things; it does NOT create things.

Stuu

Natural selection is a LIMITING factor that does NOT aid "evolution". Natural selection ELIMINATES things; it does NOT create things.
What, in your opinion, is the role of natural selection in the 'variation within kinds' ultra-fast evolution that you believe happened within the past few thousand years?

Stuart

Right Divider

Body part
What, in your opinion, is the role of natural selection in the 'variation within kinds' ultra-fast evolution that you believe happened within the past few thousand years?

Stuart

Natural selection is a conservative force. It keeps errors out of the gene pool.

As the name implies, it SELECTS from what ALREADY exists.

The only reason that you believe that is was "ultra-fast" is because you believe in the myth of evolution over millions/billions of years.

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
Natural selection is a conservative force. It keeps errors out of the gene pool.

The only reason that you believe that is was "ultra-fast" is because you believe in the myth of evolution over millions/billions of years.

Is evolution still going on? When was the last time natural selection did its job? Please provide a citation to the scientific literature.

Stuu

So we are back to whether you believe sickle cell anaemia is an error or not.

This has been my question to you a few times now. What already exists, and how does it exist? How does your belief about all variations being present match how genetics works? An individual can only carry two different versions (alleles) of any single coding gene.

Stuart

Right Divider

Body part
So we are back to whether you believe sickle cell anaemia is an error or not.
It is clearly an error and confers a slight benefit in one way and is very detrimental in another.

This has been my question to you a few times now. What already exists, and how does it exist?
You really have to ask what question?

Everything already exists: genes; amino acids; etc. etc. etc.

How does it exist? Creation.

How does your belief about all variations being present match how genetics works?
Far better than random accidents creating complex designs.

An individual can only carry two different versions (alleles) of any single coding gene.

Stuart
No knowledge of dominant and recessive genes?

Do you think that a blonde man and a blonde woman can only have blonde kids?

Stuu

It is clearly an error and confers a slight benefit in one way and is very detrimental in another.
So would natural selection eliminate the sickle cell mutation or not?

Far better than random accidents creating complex designs.
And who claims that happened? Sounds like another cheap creationist strawman.

No knowledge of dominant and recessive genes? Do you think that a blonde man and a blonde woman can only have blonde kids?
Generally, yes. The allele for blonde hair is recessive, so two blonde parents will both be homozygous blonde and only able to produce homozygous blonde children, who will also be blonde.

Stuart

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Do you mean that to be relevant to a discussion about genetics? How is it relevant, in your opinion?

Stuart

in both cases, they are perversion/distortions of normal that may be found to be advantageous in certain specific environments

Right Divider

Body part
So would natural selection eliminate the sickle cell mutation or not?
Not necessarily. Even though it is a mechanism that helps preserve the integrity of the original design, it's not 100% effective. There are many mutations that are accumulating in the human and animal genomes. Rather than the "uphill" progress that the theory of evolution requires, it's all downhill and demonstrates a much better (dare we say perfect) starting point.

And who claims that happened? Sounds like another cheap creationist strawman.
If you have a new theory, please feel free to express it here. We can discuss it.

Can mutations be said to be anything but accidents?

Generally, yes. The allele for blonde hair is recessive, so two blonde parents will both be homozygous blonde and only able to produce homozygous blonde children, who will also be blonde.

Stuart
:french:

Stuu

in both cases, they are perversion/distortions of normal that may be found to be advantageous in certain specific environments
Is either of 'perversion' or 'distortion' a genetic term? I'd say they were more opinions, wouldn't you?

You see in this thread more evidence of religious fundamentalists seeking to defend the indefensible alt-facts that go with their religious fundamentalist lifestyle choice. I personally don't see religious fundamentalism as a very healthy lifestyle choice, but of course I would defend your right to choose it for yourself, as long as you didn't harm others.

I wouldn't call gay people perverted or distorted, because I like to think I am not a small-minded bigot. But one of the problems with that kind of bigotry is that it does make life worse for gay people, so I would recommend you not call gay people names in the manner of a small-minded bigot.

Stuart

Last edited:

Stuu

Not necessarily. Even though it is a mechanism that helps preserve the integrity of the original design, it's not 100% effective.
It is your opinion that living things are designed. You are entitled to your opinion of course, but science is no respecter of opinions, and I hope we might agree it really is a scientific question. Your opinion is wrong according to science.

There are many mutations that are accumulating in the human and animal genomes.
And there are many mutations being eliminated from human and animal genomes.

Rather than the "uphill" progress that the theory of evolution requires, it's all downhill and demonstrates a much better (dare we say perfect) starting point.
Another creationist canard, usually born of pure ignorance. Evolution has no 'required' direction, not uphill nor any other.

If you have a new theory, please feel free to express it here. We can discuss it.
I have no new theory, just a faint hope you might learn what the existing theories actually say.

Can mutations be said to be anything but accidents?
No, they pretty much are. Unless you want to put careless exposure to mutagens in a different category to 'accident'.

But what does that have to do with your creationist strawman 'Far better than random accidents creating complex designs.'?

I assume by that Frenchman you intend to imply the (grossly unfair) stereotype of French people as likely to surrender.

I appreciate your surrender on the claim that blonde hair would make a good example of the expression of hidden recessive alleles, and look forward to your explanation for how it is possible to have all possible traits in all 'kinds' hidden in a small foundation population when each individual can only carry a maximum of two alleles for any one trait.

Or, given that the global flood that necessitates your belief is proved not to have happened, perhaps I could look forward to your acknowledgement that creationism in general is all religious fundamentalist hot air.

I won't be holding my own hot air in anticipation of that.

Stuart

Trump Gurl

Credo in Unum Deum

What if it was man-made?

RUSH: I said yesterday there are numerous types of coronavirus. This is coronavirus 19. Now, the official name of is COVID-19. But it’s in common parlance so that even people in Rio Linda can follow along, it’s coronavirus number 19. The fatality rate even in China is 2%. Now, that’s greater than the common cold but less than the flu. It’s a respiratory virus. That’s what it does. It gets into your respiratory system and it causes symptoms like the common cold — or, at worst, the flu — and depending on your age, just like the flu, it can be fatal.

Now, the question about this coronavirus is, “Where’d it come from?” It came from, as best anybody can tell, a lab in Wuhan, China. Now, I don’t know, but there are people who are speculating that the ChiComs were attempting to weaponize this virus, and somebody discovered this. Some scientist, some doctor discovered this independently back in December and tried to warn everybody about what he was seeing, because it looked like a virus that had a human element to it that was weaponized.

That scientist/doctor is now dead. Wuhan, China, is a town of about 11 million. It’s a huge city by American standards. It’s, you know, middle of the road by ChiCom standards. I looked at it on a map. It’s right smack-dab in one of the most populated regions. And just for the sake of your information, the reason why there’s all this talk about hard economic times for Apple and other tech firms that have their products assembled there is because the factories that employ 500,000 people are part of the Wuhan metro area.

That’s why these factories are shut down or were and why the numbers of people returning to work is less than 50%, and that’s why there’s all the talk here about potential economic problems, slowdowns for companies like Apple and so forth, ’cause Wuhan is right smack-dab in the middle of China. It’s a large region. You got a billion people there.

So you could go as far as 500 miles away from Wuhan and still be within a very centralized location where there are many factories that employ that many people who can’t show up for work, who are now starting to trickle back to work. But I have here in my formerly nicotine-stained fingers: The World Health Organization says that the… Let’s see. This is not the one. Yes. The head of the WHO, Tedros Adhanom “Boutros Boutros-Ghali” Ghebreyesus, said yesterday that “while Iran and Italy have reported a surge in coronavirus cases over the last several days” the coronavirus “has not yet met the criteria for a pandemic
…”

https://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2020/02/25/drive-bys-hope-the-coronavirus-will-get-trump/

Trump Gurl

Credo in Unum Deum
Originally posted by Right Divider View Post
Not necessarily. Even though it is a mechanism that helps preserve the integrity of the original design, it's not 100% effective.
It is your opinion that living things are designed. You are entitled to your opinion of course, but science is no respecter of opinions, and I hope we might agree it really is a scientific question. Your opinion is wrong according to science.

Science is "the pursuit and application of knowledge and understanding of the natural and social world following a systematic methodology based on evidence."

If evidence suggests design then why is his opinion wrong according to science?

Stuu

Science is "the pursuit and application of knowledge and understanding of the natural and social world following a systematic methodology based on evidence." If evidence suggests design then why is his opinion wrong according to science?
No evidence suggests design. It is only those who have already decided that there is design, religious fundamentalists for example, who choose to ignore what the evidence actually shows.

Stuart

Trump Gurl

Credo in Unum Deum
No evidence suggests design.

That is a subjective opinion of yours, not an actual fact. I think that the observable natural world does suggest design.

It is only those who have already decided that there is design, religious fundamentalists for example, who choose to ignore what the evidence actually shows.

I would say that the opposite is true. It is only those who have already decided that there is no design, anti-religious extremists for example, who choose to ignore what the evidence actually shows.

You you should remember that every great scientist throughout history that you can name (with one or two 20th century exceptions) have been people who believe in God.

Last edited: