Battle Royale VII Specific discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freak

Originally posted by Flipper
Yeah, Zakath has always been pretty reliable, responds to PMs, was punctilious in his other Battle Royale.

I don't mind admitting I'm worried about him. I do hope Dr. Zee is okay...

Perhaps Zakath has trusted in God for salvation and is wondering what to do now.:shut:

attention

Originally posted by Freak
Perhaps Zakath has trusted in God for salvation and is wondering what to do now.:shut:

Why doesn't the forum operator simply asks Zakath what has happened, so that we don't need to speculate on here?

Speculation is the mother of most unprofound thoughts!

Elnora

Originally posted by attention
Why doesn't the forum operator simply asks Zakath what has happened, so that we don't need to speculate on here?

Knight said Zak has been sent private messages and e-mails but isn't responding. There is no other way to contact him.

attention

Well in that case we won't know untill Zak chooses to and is in the condition to be able to answer. Let us hope he is well.

Elnora

Originally posted by Freak

If that were the case I would hope he would tell us. I hope the attitudes wouldn't be "I told you I was right", but to be happy for him.

I would rejoice!

Elnora

Well in that case we won't know untill Zak chooses to and is in the condition to be able to answer. Let us hope he is well.

Yep, you are right about that. I believe there are a lot of us who are concerned that all is well with him.

attention

Originally posted by Elnora
Yep, you are right about that. I believe there are a lot of us who are concerned that all is well with him.

Yes. Well since we have no other information, there is a lot what could have happened to him in theory.
But I heard that already before this drop-out he had mentioned about some carrier obligations. Let us hope that is the reason that he drops-out. Maybe not good for the debate, but one's wellbeing in private life is more important then a debate.

Elnora

Yes. Well since we have no other information, there is a lot what could have happened to him in theory.
But I heard that already before this drop-out he had mentioned about some carrier obligations. Let us hope that is the reason that he drops-out. Maybe not good for the debate, but one's wellbeing in private life is more important then a debate.

Yes one's private life is definately more important than a debate. My concern is it is not at all like Zaketh to just up and leave. He has always announced his intentions as far as I can remember.

taoist

Re: Demeanor

Re: Demeanor

Originally posted by Bob Enyart
Thus, I expect that any harshness you can recall from me will be in defense of those being hurt. For, ideas have consequences.

Thanks for asking, -Bob
Pastor Bob, I've enjoyed your debate with the board atheist, but your response here brings up an issue which I'd appreciate your addressing. The French. Is it appropriate to make gratuitous franco-baiting jabs when the likely outcome will be an increase in intolerance and xenophobia?

As you say, ideas have consequences.

Aussie Thinker

BANNED
Banned
BTW I just realised that may seem a little callous.. I am assuming Zakath is OK.

I hadn’t noticed that people have been trying to contact him with no answer.

He certainly has my best wishes.. as would anyone else here.

Elnora

Originally posted by Aussie Thinker
BTW I just realised that may seem a little callous.. I am assuming Zakath is OK.

I hadn’t noticed that people have been trying to contact him with no answer.

He certainly has my best wishes.. as would anyone else here.

That's why I read your post and didn't reply :shut:

Iv'e said in previous post (as you must have read after you posted that) , as have others we are very concerned. It doesn't seem like him to not reply to his debate. That isn't like him.

coffeeman

Good time to pray for Zakath...his's spiritual health and his physical condition...even if he is just having to take a break for work or something, the Lord can use this time to bring things to his' mind and heart. And if he is sick then, we should pray for him that he is healed...after all we Christians were all sick and needed to be healed of our rebellious natures. Maybe God has a miracle in store...cool thought eh?

Elnora

Originally posted by coffeeman
Good time to pray for Zakath...his's spiritual health and his physical condition...even if he is just having to take a break for work or something, the Lord can use this time to bring things to his' mind and heart. And if he is sick then, we should pray for him that he is healed...after all we Christians were all sick and needed to be healed of our rebellious natures. Maybe God has a miracle in store...cool thought eh?

I am in agreement with that. I am sure others are in agreement also. :)

Bob Enyart

Deceased
Staff member
Administrator
Taoist wrote: "Pastor Bob, I've enjoyed your debate with the board atheist, but your response here brings up an issue which I'd appreciate your addressing. The French. Is it appropriate to make gratuitous franco-baiting jabs when the likely outcome will be an increase in intolerance and xenophobia? As you say, ideas have consequences."

Taoist, you do make a point worth considering. Here are some of my thoughts on the matter. I certainly am opposed to anyone being racist against a Frenchman, as racism against any nationality is wrong and destructive. However, I don't think that means that we should not respond to a group as a whole when that group expresses a cohesive position. And I do think that the French have been vicariously anti-semitic through Saddam, and supportive of his murderous regime because of the financial benefits it brings them, and that they hate America more than they love the Iraqi people. Thus, I think it is a good idea to stigmatize the French for their corrupt popular opinion. I do the same to American liberals, dumbocrats, re-publicans, public school teachers, United Methodists, etc. But, I do agree with the sentiment you express: if I thought people will be inclined to become racist prompted by my words, I would be especially concerned. But the Bible has its fair share of condemning nations for their evil beliefs; and while there is some risk that could become fodder for racism, I think the risk of not stigmatizing corrupt populations is greater. Regarding the French specifically, Americans are currently mostly of European descent, so we share a closer kinship with the French than with Asians or Africans, and I'm not concerned that Americans will develop an actual racist opposition to the French (if I thought that were likely, I would behave differently). But as for the corruption in their government, culture, and popular beliefs, I despise them almost as much as I do their American counterparts. -Sincerely, Bob Enyart

Crow

It could also be that Zakath has contacted the forum operator, and asked that his privacy be respected. Or maybe for some reason Zakath has not been in touch. I hope that Zakath and his family are OK.

Bob Enyart

Deceased
Staff member
Administrator
Note to all BR7 readers: I am still hoping that Zakath completes the last two rounds of the debate and I would agree to whatever time flexibility he needs. Of course, as always, I hope he is well. If the debate does resume, I'll be traveling in the Rocky Mountains with family and staff for a few days next week on a dinosaur fossil dig led by a Christian paleontologist (yes, such a species is not extinct as was once thought). So I'll be out of touch from this Sunday (preaching/teaching) at Denver Bible Church through Thursday August 7th. Sincerely, -Bob

taoist

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Pastor Bob, and excuse my delay in replying. I am not always my own master.

Bob Enyart
Taoist, you do make a point worth considering. Here are some of my thoughts on the matter. I certainly am opposed to anyone being racist against a Frenchman, as racism against any nationality is wrong and destructive. However, I don't think that means that we should not respond to a group as a whole when that group expresses a cohesive position.

I appreciate your opposition to discrimination based on national origin. As you no doubt guess, I disagree with your second position, as I feel it is in contradiction to the first.

It has been my experience that criticisms based on collective guilt inspire a defensiveness that inhibits understanding. Certainly, the object of any dialogue should be the wish to share perspectives, to cause another to see the implications of his or her personal beliefs and their effects on others. I do not feel that pillorying the french contributes to this goal.

As a regular reader of LeMonde, and an occasional guest in francophonic West Africa, I feel fairly in touch with the french national opinion and honestly perplexed by the almost universal condemnation.

They opposed the war. Yes, but so did nearly all of asia, the indian subcontinent, south america ... even our neighbors south of the Rio Grande and a majority of the public in the United Kingdom.

Yet the french are singled out for attacks which are not even directed toward the germans. I can't believe that the american public is unaware of who voiced the most uncompromising opposition, who rode this opposition into his seat as chancellor of Germany.

Honestly, it seems misdirected.

And I do think that the French have been vicariously anti-semitic through Saddam, and supportive of his murderous regime because of the financial benefits it brings them, and that they hate America more than they love the Iraqi people. Thus, I think it is a good idea to stigmatize the French for their corrupt popular opinion. I do the same to American liberals, dumbocrats, re-publicans, public school teachers, United Methodists, etc.

United Methodists? Well, there's a new one on me. Maybe it's a Denver thing.

Vicarious anti-semitism? That seems a stretch.

But, I do agree with the sentiment you express: if I thought people will be inclined to become racist prompted by my words, I would be especially concerned. But the Bible has its fair share of condemning nations for their evil beliefs; and while there is some risk that could become fodder for racism, I think the risk of not stigmatizing corrupt populations is greater. Regarding the French specifically, Americans are currently mostly of European descent, so we share a closer kinship with the French than with Asians or Africans, and I'm not concerned that Americans will develop an actual racist opposition to the French (if I thought that were likely, I would behave differently). But as for the corruption in their government, culture, and popular beliefs, I despise them almost as much as I do their American counterparts. -Sincerely, Bob Enyart

Actually, I have to agree with your assessment of risks to their american psyche. I think most of the attitudes I've seen toward the French seem rather cartoonish. It reminds me of the popularity of demonizing Canadians on the pro-wrestling circuit.

I'm sure you've noted my handle and understand that I am not christian. While I appreciate that your faith leads you to draw comparisons from the bible, such arguments are less compelling to me.

I personally feel led by my own spiritual beliefs to question the use of words such as "condemn" and "despise" when there are more graceful constructions available, and especially as I remain unconvinced of their justification.

But, in essence, it is the habit of despising, the habit of condemning which concern me most.

In peace, and harmony.

LightSon

Originally posted by taoist
I personally feel led by my own spiritual beliefs to question the use of words such as "condemn" and "despise" when there are more graceful constructions available, and especially as I remain unconvinced of their justification.
To "question" the use of words such as "condemn" and "despise" is okay.

Now had you condemned or despised their usage, then we'd be forced to question you.

I know little about Taoism. Do you have a link which would bring me up to speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.