BRXII Battle talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

red77

Aimiel said:
I don't see any other reason to consider it an enemy. We consider disease an enemy, since it is a living creature which medicine will try to find a way to combat, but we don't consider automobile accidents an enemy, I'm sure criminals don't consider prisons their enemies, but do think of those sent to minister to them by The Lord (police) their enemies. If you consider gravity your enemy (just a 'cause' which death might be considered as, if it weren't also a living spirit) then you're rare indeed, because none of us would be here if it weren't for gravity. Well, death is a state, or non-state of being, but it came to this earth in the fall. God didn't make men with a death-warrant, that was added by the enemy, who appointed a spirit to oversee its administration, and we've named that spirit: Death.

all you've done here is point to things that cause the absence of life, in the interests of fair play and also curiosity I'm going to start a thread in religion about who thinks death is a living spirit

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
red77 said:
....why things matter in this life ... our actions ... be important regardless of the outcome....
Your reasons for doing good things are inconsequential, though it is better to know why you are doing good than to not. The question was: when and where do we pay for the actions that are bad? This is the question you cannot answer and this is what you don't know about what you believe.

red77 said:
...is this anywhere nearer answering your question?
Yes. It's an answer.

logos_x

stipe said:
Your reasons for doing good things are inconsequential, though it is better to know why you are doing good than to not. The question was: when and where do we pay for the actions that are bad? This is the question you cannot answer and this is what you don't know about what you believe.

Yes. It's an answer.

Our dealings with the sin problem are as varied within the universal salvation model as it is within that of the eternal torment model. It's amazing to me that "hell" must be viewed as unending because grace ends at death under the eternal torment model, but in the universal salvation model grace does not end forever, sin does end...and that is viewed as if the gospel has been thown out by those that hold the eternal torment model.

Bizzare.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
logos_x said:
Our dealings with the sin problem are as varied within the universal salvation model as it is within that of the eternal torment model. It's amazing to me that "hell" must be viewed as unending because grace ends at death under the eternal torment model, but in the universal salvation model grace does not end forever, sin does end...and that is viewed as if the gospel has been thown out by those that hold the eternal torment model.

Bizzare.
See, now I thought Jesus took care of sin. Once and for all. Period. There is nothing more we mere humans can do about sin. We can't do anything more to atone for our sins. Jesus either did it all, or He didn't. Brings up that pesky problem questions for universalists though. If sin doesn't condemn you to the lake of fire then what does? I mean, if Jesus died that all our sins would be forgiven and never remembered by God, why would God have a lake of fire in the first place? Well, He'll cast death and hell in; He'll cast in the false profit, the beast and all those deceived into accepting his mark; He'll cast in those whos name is not written in the book of life. But not for there sins because Jesus successfully forgave those. So what condemns a soul to the lake of fire?

logos_x

CabinetMaker said:
See, now I thought Jesus took care of sin. Once and for all. Period. There is nothing more we mere humans can do about sin. We can't do anything more to atone for our sins. Jesus either did it all, or He didn't. Brings up that pesky problem questions for universalists though. If sin doesn't condemn you to the lake of fire then what does? I mean, if Jesus died that all our sins would be forgiven and never remembered by God, why would God have a lake of fire in the first place? Well, He'll cast death and hell in; He'll cast in the false profit, the beast and all those deceived into accepting his mark; He'll cast in those whos name is not written in the book of life. But not for there sins because Jesus successfully forgave those. So what condemns a soul to the lake of fire?

Well...the answer for me is that the lake of fire is for correction and remediation...not forever and ever.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
logos_x said:
Well...the answer for me is that the lake of fire is for correction and remediation...not forever and ever.
Correction and remediation of what? Did Jesus forgive sins, never to be remembered by God, or not?

logos_x

CabinetMaker said:
Correction and remediation of what? Did Jesus forgive sins, never to be remembered by God, or not?

Yes, He did. And that more than any other reason makes it difficult to believe in an eternal punitive action against sin rather than it's complete abolishment.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
logos_x said:
Yes, He did. And that more than any other reason makes it difficult to believe in an eternal punitive action against sin rather than it's complete abolishment.
So if your sins are forgiven, why are people still going to hell?

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
logos_x said:
Our dealings with the sin problem are as varied within the universal salvation model as it is within that of the eternal torment model. It's amazing to me that "hell" must be viewed as unending because grace ends at death under the eternal torment model, but in the universal salvation model grace does not end forever, sin does end...and that is viewed as if the gospel has been thown out by those that hold the eternal torment model. Bizzare.
Grace ends when sin ends. If people choose sin over grace then the only possible response is separation. Once separation has happened there is only one avenue for return, through faith in Christ.

logos_x

stipe said:
Grace ends when sin ends. If people choose sin over grace then the only possible response is separation. Once separation has happened there is only one avenue for return, through faith in Christ.

I agree.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
logos_x said:
Not to be tormented forever, obviously.
You are too smart and too well read for me to allow you to side-step a question like that. Think about it, pray about, talk to others but I want you to give a solid answer to this question: If Jesus was seccesseful at forgiving sins, what sends somebody to hell?

This is an important question and I need you to answer it directly and honestly.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally Posted by CabinetMaker
logos_x said:
Not to be tormented forever, obviously.
Universalism is shown to be easily refuted by so many different and simple lines of questioning. Questions like:
Why do people go to hell?
Why did Jesus die? and
What price do we pay for sin?
should have simple, one verse answers. That universalism cannot give simple answers to simple questions is not proof that universalism is wrong, but it's a huge clue toward the fact that it is decietful.

logos_x

CabinetMaker said:
You are too smart and too well read for me to allow you to side-step a question like that. Think about it, pray about, talk to others but I want you to give a solid answer to this question: If Jesus was seccesseful at forgiving sins, what sends somebody to hell?

This is an important question and I need you to answer it directly and honestly.

I don't view it as sidestepping.

Look...your premise is that sin has been taken away, so why do people still go to hell.
The answer of eternal torment is completely unsatisfactory, because it would have people burning...whether literally or metaphorically...forever in spite of the grace offered because they failed to recieve it before they die. The grace is no longer offered because of death.
That makes death victorious over God's grace.

My premise says that the grace is still offered even though we die....and that at least gives the hope that people are saved from hell even if they arrive there before recieving it.

If you are trying to say that eternal torment explains why people go to Hell....well, good luck with that. The explanation as to why they go to hell is the same in both the eternal torment model and the universal salvation model.

Last edited:

logos_x

stipe said:
Originally Posted by CabinetMaker

Universalism is shown to be easily refuted by so many different and simple lines of questioning. Questions like:
Why do people go to hell?
Why did Jesus die? and
What price do we pay for sin?
should have simple, one verse answers. That universalism cannot give simple answers to simple questions is not proof that universalism is wrong, but it's a huge clue toward the fact that it is decietful.

Stipe...the answer to these questions are the same answers in both universal salvation and eternal torment.

The difference is that in universal salvation, grace is still there, and in the eternal torment model it isn't.

Does this help?

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
logos_x said:
The difference is that in universal salvation, grace is still there, and in the eternal torment model it isn't. Does this help?
No. Grace must cease.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
logos_x said:
Everything that Christ paid for must cease? Forgive me if I must disagree.
How can you disagree with that? What did Christ pay for Logos? Will that thing cease?

logos_x

stipe said:
How can you disagree with that? What did Christ pay for Logos? Will that thing cease?

If anything is eternal, then surely what Christ did is eternal in it's accomplishments.

Status
Not open for further replies.