BRXII Battle talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
red77 said:
You're right - Saul had no control, I dont know about you but if I'd been knocked off my horse by a blinding light and a loud voice saying what Jesus said then I'd say that my "free will" had taken a bit of a knock.....in a good way........
No interference? Get real........
Moron.

red77

Lighthouse said:
Do we stamp "idiot," or "liar," on your forehead? SInce you are either one or the other. I have never made anysuch statement, in my entire life.

What should be stamped on yours - "indecisive"? You said 'of course the lake is fire'....so i mentioned symbolism and you come up with yet another adolescent rant.....and quite frankly you dont seem to be certain about much because all I've asked you for is an explanation as to why you believe in annihilationaism and not ET, you're not sure its right but at least some reasoning as to why you believe it and what support you have for it wouldnt have been to much to ask.......

What point? I never said Thomas was told to depart, did I?

I dont know what you were on about, why did you bring Thomas up in the first place?

"Idiot" it is then.

Try actually reading the passage again - and then if you can explain how that doesnt infer praise go for it - and while you're at it.......please grow up......

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
red77 said:
What should be stamped on yours - "indecisive"? You said 'of course the lake is fire'....so i mentioned symbolism and you come up with yet another adolescent rant.....and quite frankly you dont seem to be certain about much because all I've asked you for is an explanation as to why you believe in annihilationaism and not ET, you're not sure its right but at least some reasoning as to why you believe it and what support you have for it wouldnt have been to much to ask.......
I've answered you. Time and again.

I dont know what you were on about, why did you bring Thomas up in the first place?
His name was mentioned in the verse I was quoting. That's all. It had nothing to do with Thomas, but about how those who beleive without seeing are blessed.:dunce::duh:

Try actually reading the passage again - and then if you can explain how that doesnt infer praise go for it - and while you're at it.......please grow up......
If you were burning in the Lake of Fire would you be praising God?

logos_x

Lighthouse said:
If you were burning in the Lake of Fire would you be praising God?

Well..that has been what some that want everyone to believe in eternal torment have said.
This has been pointed out several times, and the response is that it doesn't mean what it says when it says praise, or they are so happy where they are that they praise Him for it.

Doesn't make sense to me...but I'm the idiot.

PKevman

It is amazing to me the arrogance that some Universalists have in asserting that anyone who doesn't agree with their viewpoint is just not as enlightened as they are. I have spent many hours of my own time over the years studying these issues and these texts in detail. I also spent over 45 hours of my own time in the week I was doing the Battle Royale in preparing my arguments and studying the information given by Stephen.
If anyone has a direct question or comment on something that was said in the Battle Royale, or can answer the many questions that no Universalist has been able to answer, then I would be glad to discuss it with them. At this point this discussion is not accomplishing anything positive.

Also congrats to Dave Miller. He is now officially the first person to ever make my ignore list! I'm sure he will take great pride in that dubious distinction.

logos_x

PastorKevin said:
It is amazing to me the arrogance that some Universalists have in asserting that anyone who doesn't agree with their viewpoint is just not as enlightened as they are.

Ummm, Kevin, with all due respect...the "universalists" are hardly the only ones guilty of that distinction.

PKevman

Red77 said:
But I do know what I believe....! I believe that God will reconcile everyone unto himself, that is my faith, i believe God accomplishes his will and at some point in time everyone will have a knowledge of the truth

Red, can I ask you a question:what are you trusting in for the salvation of your soul? Is it the belief that God will reconcile everyone unto Himself, or is it the sacrifice of the Lord Jesus Christ for your sins?

logos_x

Pretty much comes down to which "side" of the discussion you're on in deternining who you percieve as arrogant....

Ecumenicist

PastorKevin said:
It is amazing to me the arrogance that some Universalists have in asserting that anyone who doesn't agree with their viewpoint is just not as enlightened as they are. I have spent many hours of my own time over the years studying these issues and these texts in detail. I also spent over 45 hours of my own time in the week I was doing the Battle Royale in preparing my arguments and studying the information given by Stephen.
If anyone has a direct question or comment on something that was said in the Battle Royale, or can answer the many questions that no Universalist has been able to answer, then I would be glad to discuss it with them. At this point this discussion is not accomplishing anything positive.

Also congrats to Dave Miller. He is now officially the first person to ever make my ignore list! I'm sure he will take great pride in that dubious distinction.

I'm glad that the questions I pose bother you that much. They used to bother
me also.

Dave Miller

PKevman

logos_x said:
Pretty much comes down to which "side" of the discussion you're on in deternining who you percieve as arrogant....

Not entirely Stephen. You and I don't see each other as arrogant.

logos_x

PastorKevin said:
Not entirely Stephen. You and I don't see each other as arrogant.

In fact, I have great respect for you. That you are passionate in your beliefs is not a sign of arrogance, but confidence.

PKevman

logos_x said:
In fact, I have great respect for you. That you are passionate in your beliefs is not a sign of arrogance, but confidence.

You and I completely disagree with each other, and yet I still view you as a friend, so it is possible to disagree and maintain our composure. I hope others would follow your example.

logos_x

PastorKevin said:
You and I completely disagree with each other, and yet I still view you as a friend, so it is possible to disagree and maintain our composure. I hope others would follow your example.

And I hope others follow yours as well, my friend.

PKevman

The problem we have is that the discussion has generated towards an "us vs. them" mindset. Whenever you move towards that it quickly begins to degenerate and nothing positive comes from it. The whole idea of this debate was to get at what the Bible says about whether or not unbelievers spend eternity in the Lake of Fire.

logos_x

PastorKevin said:
The problem we have is that the discussion has generated towards an "us vs. them" mindset. Whenever you move towards that it quickly begins to degenerate and nothing positive comes from it. The whole idea of this debate was to get at what the Bible says about whether or not unbelievers spend eternity in the Lake of Fire.

Debates such as these can quickly degenerate into personal attacks and poor arguments...it starts sounding like a domestic dispute, and very difficult to know what the "partner" is on about.

Happens to families all the time if you aren't careful.

logos_x

Kevin,

If a may be so bold...I think I know the gist of what the argument is in this thread and what the major problem has been for those of us that view eternal torment as problematic...

It is that with eternal torment as a cornerstone to "the faith", the Gospel becomes so weak. It remains a powerful way to avoid punishment....but that's about it. At least that is the way it sounds.

The second is that it places death in such a supreme and powerful position to undo God's ability to redeem even someones dear old grandmother who hasn't found confidence in Christ before she dies...much less some young drunk on the highway that causes an accident and kills someones teenage daughter...and by the time you get to someone like your obnoxious neighbor that you find way too difficult to love, well...the Gospel seems powerless to do much of anything.

A third thing is that...in spite of the scriptural evidence that God intends to save all...that is simply an impossibility within the eternal torment plausibility structure.

To me...the arguments for eternal torment appears to explain away God's ability to save way to much and saps the Savior of virtually all of His ability...especially when the resurrection becomes a very dark idea for most of mankind.

That is the gist of the arguments against eternal torment so far in this thread.

Maybe you can address these issues in a rational and coherant way that we can all understand...and then we can move into a more coherant discussion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.