Battle Royale XII - Pre Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
Real Sorceror said:
Good luck, Logos_X!
No pressure, but our eternal fate is in your hands. ;)

LOL, I guess LogosX will have an unexpected cheering section in this debate. :)

I'm with PK in my understanding so far, but I expect to learn from the debate. I haven't studied the topic much for myself. Looking forward to it.

logos_x

PastorKevin said:
Logos and I are both looking forward to this Battle Royale. It should be exciting!

Indeed!

And, no doubt, many will watch this debate rooting for their own position and with their minds already made up.
They will not be open to new ideas, nor the logic behind them, no matter how scriptural the arguments.

But, hey....it's going to be fun!

Ecumenicist

logos_x said:
Indeed!

And, no doubt, many will watch this debate rooting for their own position and with their minds already made up.
They will not be open to new ideas, nor the logic behind them, no matter how scriptural the arguments.

But, hey....it's going to be fun!

I could try to imagine a vengeful sadistic god compelling billions of individuals to eternal
torture.

Trying ... trying ... nah, ain't gonna happen. But I'll enjoy the debate nonetheless.

Go Logos!

red77

Dave Miller said:
I could try to imagine a vengeful sadistic god compelling billions of individuals to eternal
torture.

Trying ... trying ... nah, ain't gonna happen. But I'll enjoy the debate nonetheless.

Go Logos!

i guess thats my take as well, should be fun!

Kimberlyann

Dave Miller said:
torture.

Go Logos!

I am so glad God is Love (love does no harm) and not a Sadistic monster. I couldn't love a god that was going to torture billions of people in a fiery pit for eternity.

PKevman

Kimberlyann said:
I am so glad God is Love (love does no harm) and not a Sadistic monster. I couldn't love a god that was going to torture billions of people in a fiery pit for eternity.

It is possible to believe the Bible teaches unbelievers will be in the Lake of Fire for all eternity and not believe that God is a sadistic monster. I for one do not believe that God is a sadistic monster and neither do any of the Christians I know who hold to the orthodox position of unbelievers being eternally separated from God in the Lake of Fire. There are many Christians on this very website who believe the Lake of Fire is eternal and I would venture to say none of them believe that God is a sadistic monster. And we love God with all of our hearts and lives as the Scriptures say we should. So it is possible to believe the Biblical doctrine of the Lake of Fire and still love the Lord.

Have a good day!

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Kimberlyann said:
I am so glad God is Love (love does no harm) and not a Sadistic monster.
You are right, God is not sadistic, which is why He doesn't force people to be with Him for eternity when they do not wish to do so.

Ecumenicist

PastorKevin said:
It is possible to believe the Bible teaches unbelievers will be in the Lake of Fire for all eternity and not believe that God is a sadistic monster. I for one do not believe that God is a sadistic monster and neither do any of the Christians I know who hold to the orthodox position of unbelievers being eternally separated from God in the Lake of Fire. There are many Christians on this very website who believe the Lake of Fire is eternal and I would venture to say none of them believe that God is a sadistic monster. And we love God with all of our hearts and lives as the Scriptures say we should. So it is possible to believe the Biblical doctrine of the Lake of Fire and still love the Lord.

Have a good day!

Sure, as long as your god is on your side and the suffering of others doesn't
matter, its all good!

Pharisees

Do you ever get the feeling that sometimes the heavenly host just look down at us, see us arguing and debating trivia and say, "They are such morons," ?

Kimberlyann

PastorKevin said:

Have a good day!
Sure its possible to love God and believe in eternal hell, I used to. Its not so hard to imagine a righteous God punishing "evil" people for their sins. I don't question any one's love for God. I'm not trying to step on any one's toes either. I was just stating what 'I' believe and how 'I' feel.

DavesWorldView

Pharisees said:
Do you ever get the feeling that sometimes the heavenly host just look down at us, see us arguing and debating trivia and say, "They are such morons," ?

What are you trying to say Pharisee? Is this your backhanded way of telling us that this is a pointless debate? Do you have a non-trivial issue that the heavenly host would look down and say, "This is worth watching!" ?

Please share it if you have one.

Kimberlyann

Knight said:
You are right, God is not sadistic, which is why He doesn't force people to be with Him for eternity when they do not wish to do so.
No, God isn't sadistic. :) I can't imagine God having to force anyone to spend eternity with Him once they know the truth.

Here is what Paul's says we must do to be saved.
"....that if you confess with your mouth Jesus {as} Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation." (Romans 10:9-10) NASB

Everyone will confess Jesus is Lord.
For this reason also, God highly exalted Him, and bestowed on Him the name which is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus EVERY KNEE WILL BOW, of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and that every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. (Phl 2:9-11)NASB
I don't believe this is a forced confession or it wouldn't be to the glory of our Father.

I believe that confession is inspired by the Holy Spirit. Notice 1 Cor 12:3
1Cr 12:3 Therefore I make known to you that no one speaking by the Spirit of God says, "Jesus is accursed"; and no one can say, "Jesus is Lord," except by the Holy Spirit. (1Cr 12:3)NASB

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Is it sadistic for a father to prevent their child from doing something destructive?

Pharisees

DavesWorldView said:
What are you trying to say Pharisee? Is this your backhanded way of telling us that this is a pointless debate? Do you have a non-trivial issue that the heavenly host would look down and say, "This is worth watching!" ?

Please share it if you have one.

I don't believe there is anything we could talk about that would make the heavenly host want to tune it. If I was in heaven, I'd be taking care of God's business up there, not worrying about what was happening down here.

By the way, the name is "Pharisee(s)." Its the plural form, and further, I would like to commend you, for this may be the first time you have not used one of your posts as a shameless self-promotion of your asinine radio show. The airwaves are clogged enough with whining drivel as it is.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Chileice said:
Has everyone already made up their minds who will win? I thought the last debate was going to be interesting, but everyone went into with their minds already made up...
Including you, right?
...so it didn't matter what anyone said. Everyone thought their view was the winner.
Including you, right?

Are you undecided as to whether sinners who reject Christ will exist separated from God for eternity?

What do you expect, for everyone to have no opinion on whatever topic is chosen for a Battle Royale? Should we just forget everything we've already learned on a given topic when it is announced that there is an upcoming BR on it? Why do you expect us to do that, yet you don't do that yourself?

PKevman

Preconceived notions are powerful!

Preconceived notions are powerful!

One of the things I learned in Theology classes was that preconceived notions are very powerful. What a person thinks ahead of time affects how they interpret something. If I think a particular person is a liar, whether I am right or wrong, I will seriously be questioning the things he says than if I knew nothing about him.

The same holds true with Theology. What we think about God and the Bible can strongly impact how we interpret the things we read. This is why it is so critical to interpret Scripture in light of Scripture and in light of what the original audiences would have believed was meant by what was said. This is one of the many critical aspects to practicing sound hermeneutics.

This truth also carries over into other areas of life. If I have a preconceived notion that there is no God, I will interpret all scientific data to my thinking that there is no God. No matter what someone shows me, until my preconceived notion is changed, my thinking is corrupted by it. My objectiveness is gone! It is virtually impossible to be objective about something a person has already gained strong preconceived ideas about. You can scream all you want that you are being objective but you're not.

When we approach this subject of the Lake of Fire and whether or not it is eternal, there will be people on both sides of the fence who have preconceived notions. Those ideas will affect who they agree with during the debate and who they think is winning the debate. This will include Logos and I both. We will both be strongly affected by our preconceived notions. My encouragement to everyone who reads the debate is to make every attempt possible to do away with preconceived notions and read it with an open mind.

God bless!

Nomad

Knight said:

oh come now, you would also say that everyone would want to be in Heaven with God if they knew the difference, congruency! congruency!

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Kimberly-
What if God was not in the least responsible for what goes on in the lake of fire? Or hell, for that matter... What if God allowed people to go there, because they chose not to be with Him, even though He doesn't want that for anyone, and then turned His back on te whole thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.